Renarin's Crush

Child of Hodor

Kimberly

Can you reveal something about Renarin that we don't know yet?

Brandon Sanderson

Renarin has a crush he hasn't told anyone yet!

RoW Release Party (Nov. 17, 2020)

We have a WoB that Renarin has a crush. I think it's Rushu! 

Renarin spends most of his time either with Bridge 4 or the scholars or with close family. I don't think he has a crush on a family member so we can rule that out. There is Lyn in Bridge 4, but she was already in a relationship. We know Renarin attends scholar meetings because he attends some in OB.  He would see Rushu there and Rushu is Navani's assistant in scholarly matters, the two are often together so Renarin would be around her even more that way. 

I mostly just want it to be Rushu because I really enjoy her and if they end up together that means we'll get a lot more Rushu in the back 5. Yes, she's an ardent, but that can change, Kabsal was willing to leave it for Shallan, it's a thing that can happen. 

50 minutes ago, Quazzi said:

I am leaning toward his crush being Rlain. Just a theory with no real proof but I’m shipping them

I do think that Rlain is probably gay, but I sorta doubt Renarin is. And even if they are both gay, I don't think I'd ship them. It seems too obvious. Have the two outcast characters get together. It's too predictable imo. 

Oh also, Quazzi, this isn't the RoW spoiler boards, so might wanna edit that post a bit. I edited my quote of it. 

Edited by Ookla the Disproportionate

32 minutes ago, Ookla the Disproportionate said:

I do think that Rlain is probably gay, but I sorta doubt Renarin is. And even if they are both gay, I don't think I'd ship them. It seems too obvious. Have the two outcast characters get together. It's too predictable imo. 

Oh also, Quazzi, this isn't the RoW spoiler boards, so might wanna edit that post a bit. I edited my quote of it. 

My apologies. I edited it and it should be spoiler free. 

It might be Kaladin.  Renarin was pretty nervous when talking to him back in WoR.  Navani says Rushu joined the ardentia to get away from men.  This could indicate she is gay or ace but either way I don't think she is Renarin's type.

Edited by Karger

22 minutes ago, Karger said:

It might be Kaladin.  Renarin was pretty nervous when talking to him back in WoR.  Navani says Rushu joined the ardentia to get away from men.  This could indicate she is gay or ace but either way I don't think she is Renarin's type.

In my opinion, if Renarin is gay than Kaladin is a likely suspect. I'm not sure if he is or isn't. 

*Flashbacks to Percy Jackson where gay character had crush on main character*

6 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

We have a WoB that Renarin has a crush. I think it's Rushu! 

Renarin spends most of his time either with Bridge 4 or the scholars or with close family. I don't think he has a crush on a family member so we can rule that out. There is Lyn in Bridge 4, but she was already in a relationship. We know Renarin attends scholar meetings because he attends some in OB.  He would see Rushu there and Rushu is Navani's assistant in scholarly matters, the two are often together so Renarin would be around her even more that way. 

I mostly just want it to be Rushu because I really enjoy her and if they end up together that means we'll get a lot more Rushu in the back 5. Yes, she's an ardent, but that can change, Kabsal was willing to leave it for Shallan, it's a thing that can happen. 

Yes! That would be awesome, and you're probably right. I don't think Renarin is gay, though he might be.

4 hours ago, Quazzi said:

I am leaning toward his crush being Rlain. Just a theory with no real proof but I’m shipping them

For a second I thought you were @More Cynical Than Funny. Haha.

9 hours ago, Quazzi said:

I primarily ship Renarin with Lift, but yeah, I also have a feeling that he's probably gay. In that case, after ROW, him and Rlain being a couple makes a lot of sense. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

10 hours ago, Karger said:

It might be Kaladin.  

No, please no. Now I'm not saying having gay characters is bad, but it wouldn't make sense for Kaladin. We see as a kid that he is head over heels for Laral. We also see that at one point in the army he has a relationship with that one quartermaster's daughter, I can't remember her name. It seems to have been clearly shown that Kaladin is straight and if he was shown to be gay at this point it would feel like a cheap and tacky attempt to diversify the main characters.

52 minutes ago, Nellac said:

No, please no. Now I'm not saying having gay characters is bad, but it wouldn't make sense for Kaladin. We see as a kid that he is head over heels for Laral. We also see that at one point in the army he has a relationship with that one quartermaster's daughter, I can't remember her name. It seems to have been clearly shown that Kaladin is straight and if he was shown to be gay at this point it would feel like a cheap and tacky attempt to diversify the main characters.

I don't think Kaladin is gay although I do think his relationship with Adolin...  What I meant was that Renarin had a boy crush on Kaladin which he knows is not going anywhere but will like to think about to keep him warm in his old age.

23 hours ago, Karger said:

Winces.  Nico was handled horribly.

Yeah, but the initial part with Jason was nice. I remember he was one of the first gay characters I had read (and liked, side-eyes Magnus & Alec)

Renarin's crush... I don't think it's Rushu, we haven't seen anything there. There's not a lot of female characters he's with, so I could see his crush being a guy. Renarin's role has changed a lot from how he was envisioned in Way of Kings Prime too, so that's another thing that increases his chances of being gay.

Edited by Honorless

8 hours ago, Karger said:

I don't think Kaladin is gay although I do think his relationship with Adolin...  What I meant was that Renarin had a boy crush on Kaladin which he knows is not going anywhere but will like to think about to keep him warm in his old age.

Yeah. . . Kaladin and Adolin have more of a Bromance than anything. 

I am absolutely positive that Renarin's crush is a guy. So much about his character- his autism, his lack of fighting training, his corrupted spren- leads to a person who sees himself as isolated because he feels different than everyone else. Being gay would play this up even more. This is a person who carried around a Shardblade that screamed in his mind at all times and just went "huh. Guess I'm just stormed then." And carried it around anyway. He is absolutely the kind of person who would get a crush on a guy, decide that that is Bad TM and shove those feelings right down. I would be genuinely shocked if he's not gay (or bi, maybe, but I get more gay vibes from him.)

As for who the crush is, my guess is either Kaladin or Rlain.

(To be clear, I'm not saying that having autism being lgbtqia+ does necessarily make you isolated and different; just that that's how Renarin is, and I think they can contribute to that feeling, since it feels like he doesn't think or love in the same way the people around him do)

15 hours ago, Nellac said:

We see as a kid that he is head over heels for Laral. We also see that at one point in the army he has a relationship with that one quartermaster's daughter, I can't remember her name. It seems to have been clearly shown that Kaladin is straight

I personally agree he's probably not gay (though obviously everyone is free to interpret how they want), but having had crushes on girls in the past in no way precludes the possibility he could be bi or pan or something. 

On 12/14/2020 at 10:20 PM, Karger said:

Same deduction here. Brightlord Hot-as-storms Brooding Stormblessed can deflect any arrow. 

Edited by Ramona Tehradin

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 10:06 PM, Nellac said:

Fun fact, there is an orientation known as bi in which people are attracted to multiple genders. Some men are mostly attracted to women (aka have a preference for women) but also attracted to men. This means that they are bi. I don't really ship him and Renarin, but I wanted to correct some misinformation. If he did end up with Renarin, it wouldn't mean he's gay or not attracted to women. People can be attracted to multiple genders