All right. That's how it works: I ask, you answer. It'll take me a while to start, but after that I think I''ll be able to roll forward. I may or may not open an ask me anything thread, but even if I will, it won't be until I get some answers. So (pulls out a notebook and a pen from my backpack):

1. How do you chose your shardbuddies?

2. What sort of posts do you usually upvote, and why?

3. What are your standard reasons for following someone?

11 minutes ago, The Worldookler said:

1. I just ask people who interact with me often

2. I upvote posts that are clever or took hard work.

3. I just do.

16 minutes ago, The Worldookler said:

1. I have none.

2. If I'm following an argument, whoever puts into words my exact thoughts on it. Otherwise effort I appreciate.

3. To get status update notifications

28 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

1. I just ask people who interact with me often

Does where you interact with them matters?

29 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

2. I upvote posts that are clever or took hard work.

If a post is very long, do you just upvote it, or read it, or don't red it because it's too long?

30 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

3. I just do.

You must have a reason. Is it shardbuddies? Or people you upvote a lot? Or "oh, I just saw this person, let's follow him"?

25 minutes ago, Ookla the Knight said:

1. I have none.

You could easily get, by asking the right people. Why do you have non? Is it about the awkwardness in asking, so you wait or someone to ask you? Or is it the fact you're not sure about what having a shardbuddy means?

30 minutes ago, Ookla the Knight said:

3. To get status update notifications

Do you think there is a reason to correlate following and shardbuddies? actually, let's make this a general question:

4. Do you think that there should be a correlation between upvotes, shardbuddies and people you follow? If so, how? If not, why?

1 hour ago, The Worldookler said:

1. I only have one so far, and it's because they asked and I enjoyed interacting with them. 

2. I usually upvote posts that say exactly what I would say, or posts that really really make me smile, or a theory that makes a lot of sense and I agree with it, and it seems like it took work to write it all out. 

3. Standard reasons for following someone is that I enjoy their content, and/or I have had a couple of good interactions with them. 

26 minutes ago, The Worldookler said:

4. Do you think that there should be a correlation between upvotes, shardbuddies and people you follow? If so, how? If not, why?

4. Not necessarily. Generally I follow people who's content I enjoy, and I upvote that kind of content, so I might upvote the people I follow more than other people. 

You could easily get, by asking the right people. Why do you have non? Is it about the awkwardness in asking, so you wait or someone to ask you? Or is it the fact you're not sure about what having a shardbuddy means?

I understand what it means; I feel I don’t need to have any designated, I can just have friends. And the term Shardbuddy itself is a little silly.

Do you think there is a reason to correlate following and shardbuddies? actually, let's make this a general question:

I mean, if you’re “Shardbuddies” you’re probably already following each other while two people who are not are less likely to be following each other. It’s almost certain there is a correlation.

I’m a lot less likely to be following someone I’m not friends with them someone I am.

On 10.12.2020 at 10:20 PM, Knight of Iron said:

I understand what it means; I feel I don’t need to have any designated, I can just have friends. And the term Shardbuddy itself is a little silly.

I mean, if you’re “Shardbuddies” you’re probably already following each other while two people who are not are less likely to be following each other. It’s almost certain there is a correlation.

I’m a lot less likely to be following someone I’m not friends with them someone I am.

I understand what your saying, but "in Rome, act like a Roman", as they say, so I have no problem using the term shardbuddy. So, for you, following and friendship have a direct correlation. I'd hazard a guess that you don't chose friends based on agreement or appreciation, since you said nothing about whether upvotes enter said correlation. Am I right?

On 10.12.2020 at 9:46 PM, Ookla the Empyreal said:

1. I only have one so far, and it's because they asked and I enjoyed interacting with them. 

2. I usually upvote posts that say exactly what I would say, or posts that really really make me smile, or a theory that makes a lot of sense and I agree with it, and it seems like it took work to write it all out. 

3. Standard reasons for following someone is that I enjoy their content, and/or I have had a couple of good interactions with them. 

4. Not necessarily. Generally I follow people who's content I enjoy, and I upvote that kind of content, so I might upvote the people I follow more than other people. 

So for you, "shardbuddy" is merely a term, as used in: "Do you want to be my shardbuddy?", and so it's not connected to upvotes and the people you follow. Following and upvotes have the same root, enjoyment (and appreciation?), and so are related. So, another general question:

5. What are the implications of someone being your shardbuddy?

On 16.12.2020 at 9:19 PM, Ookla the Counselor said:

1. I have no idea

2. The ones that amuse me greatly.

3. I have no idea

4. I... Have no idea.

5. I have no idea.

So you basically don't have any shardbuddies and don't follow anyone? You could answer o 4 that you have no idea how to chose both shardbuddies and people to follow. Technically, that's a relation.

22 minutes ago, Omi the Counselor said:

Well...  I'm sad now. But that is a relation, so maybe the two do correlate.

Well, I still haven't decided on a method and meaning for shardbuddies, but I believe @Condensation likes having new shardbuddies if you want to (hope I'm not wrong about it).

• 2 weeks later...

I'll trust a friendly advice and will, warily, double post. I am well aware of what I am doing, I just wanted to make sure my next questions won't be left unanswered.

I actually thought of those question following the return of DramaQueen, which I won't tag here because while I am interested in her opinion, I don't summon people to answer my questions.

So... we are still on the shard-socializing topic, and those questions, I believe, are connected to this topic:

6. Assuming you had to leave the shard forever do you think you will have many memories of it in future years? If so, what memories?

7. Following the first question, assuming you've left abruptly, do you think you will be missed?

If those questions seem too personal to you, please say so.

6. Heck yes: Starting like three RPs in a few months, all those things that the cool kids are doing (Alleyverse, TLT, CBTST. You know the ones.), just the general feel and attitude of things.

7. Heh. Naw. Like a few people might notice, but by my best guess, I could disappear pretty seamlessly.

2 hours ago, Omi the Counselor said:

6. Heck yes: Starting like three RPs in a few months, all those things that the cool kids are doing (Alleyverse, TLT, CBTST. You know the ones.), just the general feel and attitude of things.

7. Heh. Naw. Like a few people might notice, but by my best guess, I could disappear pretty seamlessly.

You know, I actually don't know what CBTST is. The rest I know. If you are playing RPs, I think your absence will be noticed, especially if you are active. Actually, on an afterthought, I realized my first question is at least related, if not one and the same, to Experience's Millionth Post Celebration questions. Oh, well. Anyway, it's interesting you're so sure you'll remember the shard, yet you think no one will miss you. My theory was that connection and memories are related, and if I'm right i means you view you connection with people on the shard as stronger from your side.

Now that someone had answered, I'll add the next question (please answer all three last questions, if possible):

8. Do you think that the answer other people gave for the 7th question is correct or not? If not, I'd like you to give an example, though again, you don't have to if it's too personal.

I do hope more than one person will answer this time. Especially since the one person that answered all my questions so far can't answer this one.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 11:21 AM, Trutharchivist said:

I don't really do that myself, I just want to be friends with everyone and don't really see why it needs a special badge, so anyone can say they're Shardbuddies with me. 

Really good RP, since RP rarely gets upvoted and takes a lot of work. Other things that took a lot of effort. 

If they won't give me too many notifications. 

On 12/10/2020 at 0:15 PM, Trutharchivist said:

I don't care about Shardbuddies, as mentioned before, and no, I don't think there has to be a correlation. You can like a piece of content without particularly wanting to go out of your way to see more of that person's content, and vice versa. 

On 1/3/2021 at 0:46 PM, Trutharchivist said:

6. Assuming you had to leave the shard forever do you think you will have many memories of it in future years? If so, what memories?

7. Following the first question, assuming you've left abruptly, do you think you will be missed?

Oh, 100%. So many friends, threads, RPs, games, events, relationships...the Shard means so much to me. 

I do think I'd be missed. I have friends here, and even if I didn't, I've been around a lot, am actively participating in several things including some which I'm in charge of, and I'm a mod now :P so yeah I think I'd be missed by some. 

On 1/7/2021 at 0:10 PM, Trutharchivist said:

8. Do you think that the answer other people gave for the 7th question is correct or not? If not, I'd like you to give an example, though again, you don't have to if it's too personal. 

Hmm, yeah, I think Omi's right. I might notice if they were to disappear, I've seen them around and they're quite nice, but I don't know them well personally, so it probably would be pretty seamless. I hope that's not rude of me. 

6 minutes ago, AonEne said:

If they won't give me too many notifications. 

And if you want to see more of their content. After all, you aren't following everyone here. You don't follow me (please don't), and I won't give you many notifications.

But anyway, you seem to claim that usually, even if you appreciate the effort put in a post, you won't necessarily want to see more of him.

12 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I do think I'd be missed. I have friends here, and even if I didn't, I've been around a lot, am actively participating in several things including some which I'm in charge of, and I'm a mod now :P so yeah I think I'd be missed by some. 

I feel inclined to agree. The absence of a mod will be felt, indeed, and you seem active enough to be missed.

13 minutes ago, AonEne said:

Hmm, yeah, I think Omi's right. I might notice if they were to disappear, I've seen them around and they're quite nice, but I don't know them well personally, so it probably would be pretty seamless. I hope that's not rude of me. 

I appreciate sincerity, and I hope Omi is fine with that. I, for one, will be missed only by my fellow players in LGFaD, and nothing more then that, probably. I believe being missed is connected to level of activity, which was high in Queen's case, but not much so in mine or Omi's. Now, I think I'll just wait for more replies before closing the socializing in the shard topic and start a new one.

5 minutes ago, Trutharchivist said:

And if you want to see more of their content. After all, you aren't following everyone here. You don't follow me (please don't), and I won't give you many notifications.

But anyway, you seem to claim that usually, even if you appreciate the effort put in a post, you won't necessarily want to see more of him.

I appreciate sincerity, and I hope Omi is fine with that. I, for one, will be missed only by my fellow players in LGFaD, and nothing more then that, probably. I believe being missed is connected to level of activity, which was high in Queen's case, but not much so in mine or Omi's. Now, I think I'll just wait for more replies before closing the socializing in the shard topic and start a new one.

True on all counts, I think. I also might notice that you've stopped posting, but I haven't spoken to you much either. 

1. I...don’t have any? It’s a more recent thing that’s come up and I haven’t been as active on the Shard recently. I have friends and if anyone wants to call me their shardbuddy, go for it. I’ve just never really used the term.

2. Creativity, effort, something I agree with, and humor. Those are the main ones. Or, for example, if I created a thread and people posted on it, I’d probably upvote most of those because I appreciate that people took the time to look at and reply to my topic (unless a bunch of people started replying but that hasn’t happened yet haha).

3. I’m not sure honestly haha. I follow people whose status updates I like, people I feel I’ve become friends with, or just people who I think are really cool/funny and I want to get to know better. 

4. I think they can be related but don’t necessarily have to be. Shardbuddies and followers are pretty closely related in general, I think. I guess you’re more likely to upvote a shardbuddy or someone you’re following’s post just because you’re more likely to see it. But I’m not going to upvote someone just because I follow them, it will be based on my previous answer.

5.  No idea haha.

6. Definitely!! PMs, intro threads, little interactions, and all sorts of random stuff. It’s really a cool place here and I have lots of fun memories.

7. Eh, probably not haha. I haven’t been very active lately anyway, so some people might notice, but probably not many.

8. I don’t know honestly. Ene’s right about herself, I think. I don’t know Omi well enough to say, so I guess that might be a yes? 

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 1:21 PM, Trutharchivist said:

I don't have any. Probably if I met them in person.

It depends where I am. In SE I upvote RPs if I'm there and feel like it. In memes I upvote ones I really like. Mostly I just upvote ones I like. Once I upvoted one (yours, I think) that said something I'd forgotten.

So I can stalk their RPs and join some of them. Because I want to know when they post. I don't think I've followed someone just for them following me.

1: Don’t know what that is, so I don’t 

2: Either good theories that don’t have major holes in them or funny memes

3: I don’t follow people generally 

On 17.5.2021 at 9:40 PM, Tani said:

I don't have any. Probably if I met them in person.

It depends where I am. In SE I upvote RPs if I'm there and feel like it. In memes I upvote ones I really like. Mostly I just upvote ones I like. Once I upvoted one (yours, I think) that said something I'd forgotten.

So I can stalk their RPs and join some of them. Because I want to know when they post. I don't think I've followed someone just for them following me.

Well, I you just didn't scroll all through the page, but there were more questions. Anyway, it seems that you - along with Bejardin below you - don't see connection between shardbuddies, rep points and following. For you the reason is that shardbuddies are friends - which are unbelievably hard to aquire through the internet, rep points are just a way to say you liked a post - and it's unrelated to friendship, and following is to see posts - which, again, has no relation to friendship. Logic has it that you'll follow someone who you found yourself up voting a lot, but it's not necessarily right - you didn't say you follow people who post content you like, you said you follow people about RPs, mainly. I'd like it if you'd answer questions 6-8 - I'll post them later here. An additional question for you: are you reading people's signatures when you're bored? Because that the most logical explanation I can see for you awakening both this thread and my crew. Just please tell me you didn't arrive to JttC and LGFaD because of me.

6 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

1: Don’t know what that is, so I don’t 

2: Either good theories that don’t have major holes in them or funny memes

3: I don’t follow people generally 

Hmm... Please do read through the thread - I believe you'd find some definitions to shardbuddies. Generally it's considered to be a term for "friends from the Shard". Upvotes for you are for things you appreciate - whether because it's funny or very well done. Maybe you can say that shardbuddies and following are related for you, since both are things you don't have (this is a very clumsy way to say that. Sorry about that.)

I'd like it if you, too, will be willing to answer questions 6-8, thank you. I'll post them here, for convenience's sake:

Thank you for replying! Here are quotes of answers to the 7th question, for reference:

On 7.1.2021 at 7:05 PM, Omi the Counselor said:

On 8.2.2021 at 7:24 PM, AonEne said:

On 7.1.2021 at 9:10 PM, Trutharchivist said:

On 8.2.2021 at 7:42 PM, Trutharchivist said:

Sorry for tagging you... Hope it didn't disturb you!

On 9.2.2021 at 5:48 AM, Rebecca said:

1. I...don’t have any? It’s a more recent thing that’s come up and I haven’t been as active on the Shard recently. I have friends and if anyone wants to call me their shardbuddy, go for it. I’ve just never really used the term.

2. Creativity, effort, something I agree with, and humor. Those are the main ones. Or, for example, if I created a thread and people posted on it, I’d probably upvote most of those because I appreciate that people took the time to look at and reply to my topic (unless a bunch of people started replying but that hasn’t happened yet haha).

3. I’m not sure honestly haha. I follow people whose status updates I like, people I feel I’ve become friends with, or just people who I think are really cool/funny and I want to get to know better. 

4. I think they can be related but don’t necessarily have to be. Shardbuddies and followers are pretty closely related in general, I think. I guess you’re more likely to upvote a shardbuddy or someone you’re following’s post just because you’re more likely to see it. But I’m not going to upvote someone just because I follow them, it will be based on my previous answer.

5.  No idea haha.

6. Definitely!! PMs, intro threads, little interactions, and all sorts of random stuff. It’s really a cool place here and I have lots of fun memories.

7. Eh, probably not haha. I haven’t been very active lately anyway, so some people might notice, but probably not many.

8. I don’t know honestly. Ene’s right about herself, I think. I don’t know Omi well enough to say, so I guess that might be a yes? 

Wow, sorry. I should've replied to you. You seem to be part of a group who don't really get what "shardbuddies" mean. Basically it's just a term - some of the questions about it here are more about terminology than about social interactions here. The normal definition for shardbuddies is "friends", and so you usually follow people who can be counted as your shardbuddies.

Well, thank you all again, and now I need to think of a new topic! We'll see about that.

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

Well, I you just didn't scroll all through the page, but there were more questions. Anyway, it seems that you - along with Bejardin below you - don't see connection between shardbuddies, rep points and following. For you the reason is that shardbuddies are friends - which are unbelievably hard to aquire through the internet, rep points are just a way to say you liked a post - and it's unrelated to friendship, and following is to see posts - which, again, has no relation to friendship. [1] Logic has it that you'll follow someone who you found yourself up voting a lot, but it's not necessarily right - you didn't say you follow people who post content you like, you said you follow people about RPs, mainly. I'd like it if you'd answer questions 6-8 - I'll post them later here. An additional question for you: [2] are you reading people's signatures when you're bored? Because that the most logical explanation I can see for you awakening both this thread and my crew. [3] Just please tell me you didn't arrive to JttC and LGFaD because of me.

I'd like it if you, too, will be willing to answer questions 6-8, thank you. I'll post them here, for convenience's sake:

Thank you for replying! Here are quotes of answers to the 7th question, for reference:

[1] I don't keep track of whose posts I upvote. :ph34r:

[2] ... Maybe not! *overly innocent face*

[3] Okay. I won't tell you that. :P

Huh. I'd define Shardbuddies as "friends on the shard," not necessarily from the shard.

6. Not many, but some. Memories would be mainly of the RPs I was involved in, and I'd probably try to incorporate bits of those characters into future GURPS characters.

7. Probably. When I announced that I'd be gone for the summer someone wasn't happy about it and wanted me to give my characters a reason to drop unconscious until I came back. I have a feeling it'd be more extreme if I were leaving.

8. I guess... yeah? Tho I personally would only really miss people I've RPd with and SE'd with (and they were an active SE player)

On 5/19/2021 at 6:24 AM, Tani said:

6: I mean... I guess? I don’t know about forever

But I do enjoy the Shard

7: No not at all, these Internet forums don’t really follow specific people unless your a major player in a RP which I’m not

8: The reasons are very valid

• 10 months later...

Topic: socialization on the Shard.

Sub-topic: different forum sections.

To clarify: the thread has been inactive, and the questions seemed to lead nowhere, so I'm going to try a different take.

1. Do you comment more on one section of the Shard?

2. If so, What section of the Shard you find you comment on most: 17th Shard, Brandon Sanderson, the Cosmere, Non-cosmere Works, Related Works or (here!) Community?

3. In addition, do you find yourself interacting with a relatively small group of people, with limited variation, or with a varying group? 

4. In case you comment on multiple sections: are there people you know who comment a lot in one section but not on any other that you think have a lot to contribute to another section?