Navani's Notebook - Translations

Argent

Spoiler

The Fourth Bridge is not as pretty as my fanciful designs,
but it is thrilling to the ship coming together. 

Thanks for these, Argent! 

Is the above quote missing a ‘see’, or did Navani not include one? 

Edit: I misread eyebolts as eyeballs...gah :wacko: 

All the artwork handwriting, is near impossible to read.  Even Shallan’s writing on the spren is hard to read. 

“Is this Mistpren? Let me put my face right put to the page and squirt maybe I can make out the writing.”

My goodness they might as well put it in all in glyphs it would only be slightly less understandable to me. 

On 17.11.2020 at 6:47 AM, Argent said:

Anyway, here's what I've got (after adding punctuation and fixing some spelling mistakes):

You were really quick! I just wanted to start translations (first I had to read RoW, couldn't put it aside for translation work) - you already having done that will save me a lot of time ;-))

Edited by Pattern

Yep, I think "into" is what was missing from the Experiments page (seems obvious to me now, not sure why I couldn't parse it at first...), and I did in fact miss a "see" on the Fourth Bridge page (just an error from when I was typing all of this into a forum topic from my notes). Both are fixed now!

Thanks for the translations.

I posted some longer thoughts over in the Fabrial Metals thread (with light Shadows for Silence spoilers), but long story short I think the silver-nickel alloy is there to retain an imprisoned Cognitive entity. It doesn't directly affect the function of the knife as Navani was using it (to transfer Investiture), but naming a specific alloy like that has to be a clue to something, and I think it has to do with keeping a Herald from fading away.

On 11/17/2020 at 4:34 PM, asmodeus said:

for the Dagger page,

Reveal hidden contents

Why give into my enemy’s hands the means to destroy me, ha?

is the thing you're missing, I think.

I'm pretty sure the "ha" just marks the sentence as a question. The question marks look like they might be Nazh's handwriting, and every question in women's script we've seen has ended in "ha".

Just now, Chiberty said:

I'm pretty sure the "ha" just marks the sentence as a question. The question marks look like they might be Nazh's handwriting, and every question in women's script we've seen has ended in "ha".

I'm aware. I just also had it in my notes, so it ported over when I copied the sentence.

6 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

What is Nickle and silver together? I’ve never heard of that (and no it Isn’t Nickle Silver)? And it doesn’t do anything? Just decorative? I’m confused. 

I think that it is just meant to hold it in place, but it does not actually influence or interact with the investiture in any way. Basically just a brackety thing!

Edited by WindJogger

I found this when looking up silver alloys. "Nickle-silver" is a misnomer that has zero elemental silver in it (it's tin + copper + zinc). However, I found this and thought it interesting...

Silver alloys provide the ability to wet and join base metals at low temperatures while providing good strength. Because low temperatures can be used for silver soldering and brazing, the risk of surface oxidation and heat distortion is reduced. Silver alloys usually comprise eutectic mixtures of tin, zinc, or copper, with lead and cadmium being used in some applications.

Advanced catalysts for alkaline fuel cells are being investigated, including silver-coated carbon nanofibers ... nickel can be used at the anode and silver can be used at the cathode of alkaline fuel cells. However, nickel electrodes are not completely stable against overloading because the oxidation state of nickel can be irreversibly changed.

Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/chemistry/silver-alloy

So basically, a silver + nickle alloy might be used in the very setting we see it in RoW - to solder/weld something together (in the book it was used to attach the diamond to the Raysium blade Navani & Raboniel were studying).

Alternatively some Sterling Silver mixes could use nickle... Sterling silver is made up of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% of another metal, usually copper. Sterling silver is mostly uninteresting, people like it because it is shiny and it's main uses reflect that (e.g. silverware & jewelry)

I'm not sure if this tells us anything about the story, but I am always impressed with Brandon when he gets the science right!

Edited by KidWayne
Added relevant info to quote

3 hours ago, KidWayne said:

I found this when looking up silver alloys. "Nickle-silver" is a misnomer that has zero elemental silver in it (it's tin + copper + zinc). However, I found this and thought it interesting...

So basically, a silver + nickle alloy might be used in the very setting we see it in RoW - to solder/weld something together (in the book it was used to attach the diamond to the Raysium blade Navani & Raboniel were studying).

Alternatively some Sterling Silver mixes could use nickle... Sterling silver is made up of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% of another metal, usually copper. Sterling silver is mostly uninteresting, people like it because it is shiny and it's main uses reflect that (e.g. silverware & jewelry)

I'm not sure if this tells us anything about the story, but I am always impressed with Brandon when he gets the science right!

I found the same general information too. Silver + Nickel appears to almost never used, so why did the Songers use it? It seems other metals are much more stable  

Option 1: Rabonial is lying or did not know. 

Option 2: They deliberately chose a metal that would degrade over time so that a captured artifact would stop working when the Nickle denatures. 

Edited by teknopathetic

7 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

What is Nickle and silver together? I’ve never heard of that (and no it Isn’t Nickle Silver)? And it doesn’t do anything? Just decorative? I’m confused. 

It does not exist. The molten metals just do not mix. You need to add a third metal

Phase diagram

From an arcane view point it most likely has the opposite arcane properties of pure silver

(Threnody)

Spoiler

Pure silver can be used to destroy Cognitive Shadows.

Hence we may speculate that it sustains Cohnitive Shadows.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

It does not exist. The molten metals just do not mix. You need to add a third metal

Phase diagram

From an arcane view point it most likely has the opposite arcane properties of pure silver

(Threnody)

Reveal hidden contents

Pure silver can be used to destroy Cognitive Shadows.

Hence we may speculate that it sustains Cohnitive Shadows.

Do you think this is something we were supposed to figure out or that is a mistake Brandon made?

I really think this is proof of a new alloy unique to Threnody or Threnody's magic system!  This is a very weird combination of metals to even my layman's eyes, so I think we were supposed to notice it. We also get a mention of a silver chain that can bind down souls, so there may be a lot one can do with silver.

EDIT: I moved this discussion over to ROW Magic and Lore

Edited by teknopathetic

This is great! I have done translations of this on my own, and what you have matches up really well with what I did. There are a few places where I translated it differently, though, and I'll put them here for you to take or ignore at your pleasure:

For the Crystal Pillar Room: Above the stairway you translated it as "Stairway chamber", but I think it is actually "Stairwell chamber"

On the dagger: You say "Raboniel calls the metal raysium and says there is not enough in
this dagger to collect her soul or what of a Herald.". I think it is "Raboniel calls the metal raysium and says there is not enough in this dagger to collect her soul or that of a Herald."

On the Light Experiments: You say "The rhythms cause patterns in the sand different for the
different kinds of Light.". I think it should read "The rhythms cause patterns in the sand. Different patterns for the different kinds of Lights."
As well, you say "Your research has yielded great fruits. There was a time I thought it possible for one...", but I think it reads "Your research has yielded great fruits. There was a time I thought it impossible for one.."

I hope I was able to help you in any way, and appreciate the work you did compiling this post because, though I had the translations already, I would never have done something like this.

19 hours ago, hyuuy6 said:

For the Crystal Pillar Room: Above the stairway you translated it as "Stairway chamber", but I think it is actually "Stairwell chamber"

I agree, I had it as "stairwell" in my notes (it's clear that the end of the first word repeats the same letter twice) and just typed it wrong in here; I'll update.

On the dagger: You say "Raboniel calls the metal raysium and says there is not enough in
this dagger to collect her soul or what of a Herald.". I think it is "Raboniel calls the metal raysium and says there is not enough in this dagger to collect her soul or that of a Herald."

I another "I typed it wrong," good catch ("what" doesn't even make sense)!

On the Light Experiments: You say "The rhythms cause patterns in the sand different for the
different kinds of Light.". I think it should read "The rhythms cause patterns in the sand. Different patterns for the different kinds of Lights."

I agree, I am missing a "pattern" in there, though I would use a comma instead of a period between the two sentences.

As well, you say "Your research has yielded great fruits. There was a time I thought it possible for one...", but I think it reads "Your research has yielded great fruits. There was a time I thought it impossible for one.."

Yep, another typo in my part. :(

I'll go ahead and fix all of this, thank you for (unwittingly?) double-checking my work!

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I have: 

Tier 1
Tier 5

The fourth bridge is not as pretty as my fanciful designs but is thrilling to see the ship coming together. The final build follows these designs with some changes my engineers suggested

Cutaway showing levels below main deck for carrying people and supplies
Kaladin's old bridge embedded in the deck

Possible design for next iteration of sky carriage
Maybe add soulcast crystal over the top
Stairs might fold up into a table to save space and weight
Latest tests show we need four fins instead of two wings

Main entrance works like a drawbridge
I hope the fans will lessen some of the horizontal load

The Arnist method begins with luring the spren to the gem
For example, to attract a flamespren, create a fire nearby
Allow the spren to inspect the gem
Quickly drawing out the stormlight pulls the spren into the gem
The spren becomes trapped inside
A pewter cage surrounding the gem can be adjusted by twisting rods hooked to eyebolts
The tighter the cage, the more the fabrial generates

Close up of the crystal pillar

Suppressor devive retrieved by Kaladin

The pattern of garnets is similar to one I have seen on the pillar

Stairwell chamber
Murals
Library room
The crystal pillar room

Raboniel's soul harvesting dagger

The white gold metal vein down the middle conducts investiture. Raboniel calls the metal raysium and says there is not enough on this dagger to collect her soul or that of a Herald. I am not sure I believe her.
Navani is right not to believe; I have given her few reasons to trust me after all, but in this thing I do not lie. Why give into my enemy's hands the means to destroy me[ho]?

I will proceed with my experiments.
Our discovery of Warlight paired with my eventual understanding of this dagger might yield a way to stop this war
Though I think we disagree on what an acceptable end to the war actually looks like

The ruby is housed in a metal other than raysium, silver maybe[ha]?
I can confirm the metal is not raysium but a silver-nickel alloy and let not affect the dagger's function

Touching the dagger to half of ruby does not pull out the half spren. Cracking one half however allows the spren to escape. The dagger immediately pulled the spren along the raysium vein and into the gem at its base

I suspect the vein of raysium continues through the dagger hilt and somehow attaches to the ruby at it's base
The raysium vein is removable, reversible, and conducts investiture directly to the gemstone

The Thaylen vacuum tube
A cracked diamond affixed to the end might give the exact result I am seeking
The metal caps unscrew for versatility in experimentetion. A fabrial pump removes the remaining air

The rhythms cause patterns in the sand different patterns for the different kinds of light there must be an answer of some kind here though I wish I could consult a true scholar concerning this
Now that we have seen where this line of explanation has led I am amazed that you were able to extrapolate this voice of lights

The tones are becoming easier for me to hear. I recognize the tones of the different kinds of light and struggle to hear if there is something more
Your research has yielded great fruits there was a time I thought it impossible for one of your kind to hear the rhythms how could I have anticipated the magnitude of what you have kept hidden from me[ha]? I fear I have underestimated you and your kind.
On 11/17/2020 at 0:47 AM, Argent said:

A
pewter
cage surrounding
the gem can be adjusted by
twisting rods hooked into eyebolts.

I have "to" not "into"

(bottom right) (Edit, image didn't send)

That's it. 

I agree with Chiberty about the words ending with 'ha' or 'ho'

Edited by GoWibble