The Food Thread

KChan

We cook potatoes and sausage from time to time. It's almost exactly as you've described with potatoes but you don't need to add the oil because you're cooking sausage with the dish. Toss in an onion and spice to flavor and when you're done top with cheese.

I tried a fried coke at the Angola prison rodeo Sunday. It just tasted like funnel cake.

These dishes are all really unhealthy though!

I wanted to say that I feel like I successfully made some yummy egg drop soup last night. It was my first attempt at said soup and I'm happy with how it came out. I used a recepie online, and then modified it to my liking.

Start out by boiling about four cups worth of chicken broth, and then from there drop well mixed eggs (I used two, but next time I'd probably use less) into the boiling liquid. From there I think I used garlic salt, onion, ginger, regular salt (I think I'd cut back on that too), and I can't think if there was anything else. I tried mixing in some cornstarch to make it thicker, but that didn't work out too well.

I thought it tasted really good, but that's just me. :D

There's a few other things I enjoy cooking, but I'll post them later.

I can't recite the exact recipe at the moment, but we make this stuff called "3-Onion Cheesey Potato Casserole"

Basically, you take a bag of frozen hash brown (Ore Ida, or heck, you could probably go fresh too, bagged just saves a step), Mix it with shredded cheddar, cream of cheddar soup, a bit of dijon mustard, diced onion, diced green onion, and french's fried onions. Put it in a big ol' casserole dish, cover the top in more shredded cheese and fried onions, and let the whole thing bake.

It's. Fantastic.

I made two dishes lately that I'm proud of. Okenomiyaki (or Japanese Pancake as we've nicknamed it), and Raspberry-Balsamic-Vinegar Chicken.

Okenomiyaki is 1/2 a cabbage sliced thin, mixed in with some pieces of ham, and enough flour, egg and water to make a "pancake like" concoction that is mostly cabbage. You then put it all in a hot pan, wait for the first side to be done, then get a plate, turn the pan over onto the plate, and put the not-done side down on the pan. When it's done, you eat it with Mayonaise, Tonkatsu sauce, and wasabi. It's delicious, it's cheap, and it makes enough food for quite a few people/meals.

Raspberry-Balsamic Chicken is really really good. First, you make the sauce. You get 1/3 cup of Raspberry preserves, 2 T of Balsamic Vinegar, and some salt and pepper, and you mix it in a hot pan till all of the Raspberry Preserve is melted. Then you pour it into a bowl and cook your chicken.

You take 1/2 an onion, cook them in a pan with some olive oil, get 1/2 a teaspoon of both Thyme and Salt, sprinkle it on the 4 pieces of Chicken, stick the chicken onto the pan, cooking each side for 6 minutes. When you finish the first side, flip it, then pour the Raspberry Sauce all over the chicken. When the second side is done, eat immediately. It is heavenly.

• 1 month later...

I made Turkish Delight (lokum) last night! If you live in the US there's a good chance you've never had it, though if you've had the Liberty Orchards "Aplets & Cotlets" it's basically that.

It's a bit complicated to give the recipe here, but I'll link to the one I've used. This is the best recipe for it I've found, but just as a warning, the author felt the need to illustrate it with someone in a sexy maid uniform doing the demo cooking ... don't ask me why. Nothing too scandalous but thought I'd let you know.

http://www.ranum.com/fun/recipes/turkishdelight.html

I used a nontraditional flavor this time, 1 tbsp banana flavor, 1 tbsp cranberry juice, and about 1/4 cup finely chopped cranberries mixed in at the very end. If you like nuts you can pour it over a layer of finely chopped walnuts and then you don't have to worry quite so much about it sticking to the pan, though I've decided I'm not a huge fan of walnuts with this flavor combo (they were quite good with orange/mango though). Next time I think I will try a more traditional rose flavor.

• 1 month later...

My grandpa used to make this every Christmas for all the relatives. He'd even ship it to those of us who didn't live nearby ... of course it never lasted as long in the damp Oregon winters, so we'd have to eat it quickly ;-). I'm not sure it will fare much better in TN but I'm giving it a try.

Grandpa Young's Peanut Brittle

1 cup water

1 cup karo/corn syrup

2 cups sugar

1 lb (3 cups) raw peanuts

1/4 lb butter

3 tsp baking soda

2 tbsp vanilla extract

This requires a large saucepan, as it triples in size when cooking. Bring water and karo to a boil, add sugar and boil rapidly till "thread" stage, about 7 minutes. Then add the peanuts. Cook about 7 more minutes, stirring constantly, until it begins to turn amber. Add the butter, cook about 3-5 more minutes. Don't let it get a scorched smell. Remove from heat, add 3 teas soda and 2 Tb vanilla, hurriedly whipping it up. Immediately pour onto well-greased cookie sheet and let cool thoroughly. Break into pieces by striking with the heavy end of a table knife. Store in airtight container to prevent gumminess.

• 1 month later...

Okay... now that I know of the existence of this thread, I'm going to teach you Sharders how a PROPER Philly cheesesteak is made! I have the right, as I am the only Sharder from the Philadelphia area that I know of... :P

Take a package of Steak-Umms (hard to find outside of the Eastern Seaboard... I had to hunt for almost a month to find these in West Texas... Finally found them at Wal-Mart in the frozen goods section), break them up into a frying pan, on medium heat. Allow to brown. Mix in cheese, preferably American cheese, though a sharp provolone or cheddar works nicely for variety. While meat is browning, toast a buttered sub roll (or a hoagie roll, or a hero roll, or whatever your local vernacular calls it) to a golden brown, then remove it. Fill with delicious meat and cheese mixture directly from pan.

If desired, sautéed mushrooms, onions, and sweet or hot peppers can be added to this recipe, but to me, it's called a CHEESE-steak, therefore it only requires meat and cheese. :lol:

If you can't find Steak-Umms, shaved sirloin works just as well! The thinner, the better.

oh man, steak-umms are awesome. I know back in missouri (where i'm from) they had 'em pretty well everywhere. I don't know about where i'm currently at. I'll have to take a look and see if i can find some now.....I haven't had 'em in forever.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, such heavy recipes; how about some cookies for dessert? I'll tell you the best thing that ever happened to Betty Crocker's cake mixes (or any brand, for that matter).

In a mixing bowl, combine:

1 cake mix in the flavor of your choice (strawberry, chocolate, and spice are particularly good, but anything works)

2 eggs

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Stir well, roll into medium-size balls, and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Eat cookies as soon as they're cool enough to not burn you (although I must say, they are still pretty darn good cold). Milk is optional.

PS: That's an original recipe, created by my mother.

Edited by Ironeyes

Things seem mighty fancy here, so let me take you back to basics: meat.

First, get a filet mignon. You're having steak, why waste the opportunity on lesser cuts of meat? A flat iron can work, but save the ribeye, the porterhouse, and whatever gibberish the butcher has, for stews that you don't give a flying inquisitor's left spike about. Don't get them too thick, nor too thin. Usually around 2 inches thick is good. Aim for 8-12 ounces.

Second, preheat your oven to 500. This isn't your aunt-who's-an-obligator's easy bake oven.

Third, put the meat out on a clean work surface and liberally sprinkle it with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Rub those spices in. I recommend flipping it and repeating this process on the back side, but you don't need to. Next, coat the steak (both sides) with oil. Be a bit sparing, but make sure that the top and bottom are fully covered. Use an oil with a high smoke point (avocado or grape seed oils are good for this). Do not use something weak, like olive oil. Save that stuff for your focaccia: here, we need something that could impress a kandra. Cover and set aside.

Fourth, put a hardy, 10inch-ish pan into the oven to heat up. Cast iron is best, but other pans can survive these temperatures as well. Just, make sure you pan is up to the job, first: we don't want it falling apart like some skaa misting under an Inquisitor's axe. It will take several minutes to get up to temp (depending on the pan).

Fifth, take that pan out (being sure to use the proper protective gear: this is hot enough to make Miles Hundredlives wince) and place it on a burner set on high (if you are using an electric stove, make sure that the burner it already red hot). Place the steaks onto the pan and let them sit for a minute. Don't push it around, just let it sit. Then, flip it, let the other side cook for a minute, and flip it again and stick the pan, steaks and all, into the oven. Drop the temperature in there to 425 F.

Sixth, let the steak cook in the oven for 2 minutes, then flip them and return to the over for another 2 minutes. Start checking the steak for the proper temperature at this point, and repeat at 1 minute intervals if you need to. You want the core temperature to be at 125-135 F (aim for a few degrees below). That will give you a medium rare steak. If you go for medium or above, then, really, you are just doing Ruin's bidding. When the steak reaches that temperature, take it out and put it on a rack and tent it with foil. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes.

Seventh, serve that steak. Forgo sauce. Do you doubt me on that? What, you just went through all this work so you could corrupt the delicate flavor? Even the koloss know better than that.

Ah, but you probably want more than just meat. A good meal is a bit like allomancy. For every push there is a pull, for every salt there is a pepper, for every meat there is a vegetable. So, lets go with green beans.

Step 1, wash about a pound of whole green beans and then cut off the ends.

Step 2, slice a shallot (or white onion, if you can't find shallots).

Step 3, dice a clove or two of garlic (depending on taste: I use 3 or 4, but most people don't like as strong of a garlic taste as I do).

Step 4, blanch the green beans by boiling them in water for about 4 minutes (maybe less, if they are thin). They should just be turning bright green. Drain them and set the beans aside.

Step 5, put a frying pan over medium heat, add about 2 tbsp of your oil (you can use a low smoke point oil, like olive, but come on, we already had this discussion) and saute the shallot/onion and garlic until tenderish, about 3 minutes.

Step 6, add the green beans, salt them, and continue cooking until the beans just start to brown (don't stir often).

Step 7, remove the beans and serve with the steaks.

Well, I cook from time to time, but mostly simple things like chicken liver with nira or the japanese style curry. Also there was a period when I made proper sourdough rye bread (impossible to find in japan). Of course, my methods are not as sophisticated as yours, I just throw stuff on the frying pan, liberally apply soy sauce (which I deplore uncooked, by the way), and cook until done. Also, I make cookies :) And about a week ago I have finally succeeded to make something that will pass as a Chiffon cake without close inspection. That was quite tasty. I never use mixes for that stuff, though, just plain old sugar, butter, flour, etc.

That being said, I don't think I'll trust any food prepared by any of you :blink: I am quite a picky eater, and if i detect traces of (heaven forbid) garlic in my food, or red peppers, I usually decline the stuff, or eat out of politeness, while wincing inside. I still have some sense of taste left to me ;) Although, strangely enough, I enjoy wasabi. Once, I have managed to get my hand on a bunch of whole wasabi plants, and pickled them. That was delicious ! (But I forgot the region where I've gotten it. damnation)

Edited by Satsuoni

• 1 month later...

I made coconut shortbread cookies this evening, as an experiment. The experiment worked! Here's what I did.

1 part sugar (I used brown sugar, but white would work too)

2 parts coconut oil (this has about the same consistency as butter)

3 parts flour

Shredded coconut, to taste (I used about 1/2 part) (optional)

Mix sugar and oil, then mix in the flour, then the coconut. Preheat oven to 350F, chill dough while the oven preheats. Shape the dough into cookie shapes about 1cm thick, and bake for about 15 minutes.

Raspberry-Balsamic Chicken is really really good. First, you make the sauce. You get 1/3 cup of Raspberry preserves, 2 T of Balsamic Vinegar, and some salt and pepper, and you mix it in a hot pan till all of the Raspberry Preserve is melted. Then you pour it into a bowl and cook your chicken.

You take 1/2 an onion, cook them in a pan with some olive oil, get 1/2 a teaspoon of both Thyme and Salt, sprinkle it on the 4 pieces of Chicken, stick the chicken onto the pan, cooking each side for 6 minutes. When you finish the first side, flip it, then pour the Raspberry Sauce all over the chicken. When the second side is done, eat immediately. It is heavenly.

Just made this. Thanks for the recipe zas, it *was* pretty great!

Bacon...wrapped....jalapeno..poppers?! o.o

My coworker ordered a ridiculous sandwich last night. Spicy fried chicken patty topped with marinara, a hashbrown, and onion rings. Sheetz employees will do weird things with your food if you ask them to, even if you're a Sheetz employee yourself.