The Food Thread

KChan

So I guess it's about time for me to list my two-tone fudge recipe (since I was talking about it on the chatroom & all):

Ingredients:

3 cups Sugar (split into 2 1.5 cup sets)

2/3 cup Evaporated Milk (split into 2 1/3 cup sets)

3/4 cup margarine (split into 2 3/8 cup sets)

1 7oz bottle marshmallow fluff

3/4 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup peanut butter

Steps:

1. Place sugar, evaporated milk, and margarine into a pot & bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 4 minutes.

2. Take pot off of burner & mix in chocolate chips & half the bottle of fluff to the mixture. Then pour mixture into a pan.

3. Repeat step 1.

4. Take pot off burner & mix in peanut butter & the rest of the bottle of fluff. Then pour this onto the pan (you should have 2 levels of fudge now - chocolate on the bottom, and peanut butter on the top).

5. Refrigerate pan of fudge until cooled. Then eat.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm feeling particularly hungry, so I thought I'd share a recipe for Cheese Fondue that I enjoy making for parties and the like. Please note, if you are lactose intolerant, cheese fondue is probably a bad idea. If you also have a seafood allergy, avoid using the clams.

The components:

3 packages of 8oz Cream Cheese (Philadelphia)

4 Jars of "Kraft Old English Cheese" (It looks like This)

1/2 large white onion

1/2 large yellow onion

2 cans of chopped clams (In clam juice)

3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced (More to taste)

1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

1tsp Garlic Salt

1 tsp Garlic Powder

1 tsp Onion powder

1-2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (to taste)

Loaves of French bread

Steps:

1) Mince both onions, Mince/Press Garlic.

2) Drain a single can chopped clams, add both cans (One drained, one with juice) to the onions

3) Add Worces. Sauce, Garlic salt/powder, onion powder, and Cayenne pepper to the bowl, mix thoroughly.

Note: These amounts are approximate, using more or less to taste is perfectly acceptable. Cayenne Pepper modifies the taste the most, but is a necessity.

4) Melt the cheeses together. This can be done in a number of ways.

A: Microwave. Place 1 package of cream cheese and one jar of old english cheese into a bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds at a time, stirring and adding more cheese and spice/onion mix until cheese is liquid.

B: Stove. Use a large pot on low heat. Drain some liquid from the bowl of spices stuff into the pot (to keep the cheese from burning). Stir constantly until all components are mixed in and cheese is melted. Maintain low heat ~5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to mix

C: Crock pot. Almost exactly the same as the stove, but allows for portability and warming.

D: Fondue pot. Never used one, should be easy.

Cut the French bread into squares, dip and enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I'm a pescatarian. If you don't click on the link, what this means is that I'm predominantly a vegetarian, but I eat fish and shellfish, albeit rarely. While I love my sushi, I eat salads on a daily basis and enjoy my own dips like hummus, black bean, and cilantro, the latter two of which I make myself. My diet is designed to keep me fit and trim. (I also work out on the elliptical trainer at the gym while I read books on my iPad to focus my attention.)

There's a lot of food that I love that I no longer allow myself to eat. My body is my job and if I'm not in shape, I'm not working. Beyond this, my profession is my yoga; my work-out is my sweat ... and is absolutely necessary to my constitution. There's no way I'd have been able to do what I've done for the past nearly 22 years if I hadn't maintained the conviction I have.

I'm a pescatarian. If you don't click on the link, what this means is that I'm predominantly a vegetarian, but I eat fish and shellfish, albeit rarely. While I love my sushi, I eat salads on a daily basis and enjoy my own dips like hummus, black bean, and cilantro, the latter two of which I make myself. My diet is designed to keep me fit and trim. (I also work out on the elliptical trainer at the gym while I read books on my iPad to focus my attention.)

There's a lot of food that I love that I no longer allow myself to eat. My body is my job and if I'm not in shape, I'm not working. Beyond this, my profession is my yoga; my work-out is my sweat ... and is absolutely necessary to my constitution. There's no way I'd have been able to do what I've done for the past nearly 22 years if I hadn't maintained the conviction I have.

Not trying to argue or anything, but from an etymological stand point, wouldnt "pescatarian" infer that you eat a diet solely composed of fish? Sort of how a "vegetarian" implies a diet of only veggies? (because "pesca" likely being derived from the latin word for fish, piscis) Which should make it sort of like a diet of a piscavore (carnivore who eats only fish).

I mean, in pop culture, it likely does mean someone who eats vegetarian + fish, but just from the word structure, if someone came up to me and said they were a pescatarian, i would assume they ate only fish. Honestly, up until now, i've never heard that word before. :P

I'm a http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/Pescatarian.htm. In other words, for those who don't know, I'm a vegetarian who eats fish and shellfish on occasion. I love sushi and will be enjoying this next weekend in celebration of my birthday!

EDIT: So, since I simply can't read through absolutely all of this tonight, I believe I have to start by stating that I'm a pescatarian. If you don't access the link or question just what that is, I'm predominantly a vegetarian who occasionally eats fish and shellfish. My annual birthday gift is an indulgence in sushi, provided by my RDP, who is a strict vegetarian. I'm so fortunate to be indulged thus! I enjoyed the best sushi just 1-1/2 weeks ago at the one and only restaurant in my hometown that provides the best variety in vegetarian rolls. (I enjoyed my fish, of course, but she enjoyed her maki too!)

Edited by KChan
Doublepost removed

• 1 month later...

Just saw this and thought I would share one of my favorites.

Turkey Thai Skillet.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey. (I use the leanest I can find.)

2 red bell peppers cut into strips

1tbs diced Ginger

2 cloves garlic, diced (If you like garlic, like me, feel free to use more, to taste.)

2 tsp red pepper flakes (I'm not a huge spicy hot fan, so I for go this ingredient. If you like it hot, add to taste.)

Sauce

2 tbs natural Peanut Butter

2 tbs Lime juice

2 tbs low sodium soy sauce

1 tbs Sesame oil

1/2 fresh Cilantro

Brown the ground turkey and drain. Add bell peppers, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes. When peppers are soft, to taste remove from heat and stir in the sauce.

Serve over salad greens or spinach.

This has a nice flavor to it and is somewhat healthy. I love it!

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds quite good, McCullough.

Here's a nice autumn treat--Baked Sweet Acorn Squash

Take an acorn squash and cut it in half and scrape out the seeds, so you have two "bowls" made of the squash. Stab into the flesh of the squash with a knife or fork several times, making sure not to puncture the outer skin.

(Optional) take about 1/2 tsp of masala chai spices or pumpkin pie spices and rub into the inside of the squash.

Put a couple tablespoons of brown sugar into each squash-bowl and about a tablespoon of butter. Depending on what (if any) spices you used, you could also add a bit of maple syrup.

Put the squash-bowls into a baking dish and put about half an inch of water in the bottom.

Bake at 400F for an hour.

When they're done, the squash-bowls will be soft and there will be a pool of sugary liquid in them. Use a spoon to sort of mix it all together, and enjoy!

(note: I read something online suggesting to cover with aluminum foil (leaving a couple of vents) for the first half hour of cooking, but I haven't tried that myself yet.)

Wow, such heavy recipes; how about some cookies for dessert? I'll tell you the best thing that ever happened to Betty Crocker's cake mixes (or any brand, for that matter).

Things seem mighty fancy here, so let me take you back to basics: meat.

So I guess it's about time for me to list my two-tone fudge recipe (since I was talking about it on the chatroom & all):

Just saw this and thought I would share one of my favorites.

Turkey Thai Skillet.

Wow, these all look really good! Chef awards to you all! Also, to those of you who already have awards but posted more yummy recipes, yours look great too! :D I'm definitely going to have to try some of these. And one of these days I'll post my own...

Hm. Maybe we should make a 17th Shard cookbook! ;)

• Chaos locked this topic