2 minutes ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

My gosh, thanks. I recently read Twilight and I'm noticing like everyone is dissing it all of a sudden, mostly guys. My English/History teacher even insulted it in class today and I didn't say anything because they're experienced in arguments and I don't want to air my opinion like that. I'm trying to find a polite way to ask them not to... state their opinions as if they are fact and stop putting down books that I like.

On a different note(this is the original), I keep getting requests to sit with different groups at lunch and I can't decide which one to do. I don't especially care, they're all really fun to sit with, but it's hard to keep turning down invitations. :)

Hmm... so you want help telling guys that their opinions are not facts? 

I have no idea how to help. Most Guys (not including me) I know are stubborn jerks...

hmm... I can't help with the other problem as I sit by myself on purpose.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

My gosh, thanks. I recently read Twilight and I'm noticing like everyone is dissing it all of a sudden, mostly guys. My English/History teacher even insulted it in class today and I didn't say anything because they're experienced in arguments and I don't want to air my opinion like that. I'm trying to find a polite way to ask them not to... state their opinions as if they are fact and stop putting down books that I like.

On a different note(this is the original), I keep getting requests to sit with different groups at lunch and I can't decide which one to do. I don't especially care, they're all really fun to sit with, but it's hard to keep turning down invitations. :)

Hmmm I think a lot of it is that Twilight  is known as like the ‘girl romance vampire book’ and I’d say 95% of guys haven’t read it, including me :P. But first, I haven’t read it so I dunno, and second I very much doubt it’s a bad book. Actually, I’d say if most of the dissers are teen boys the book’s reputation (and theirs) has a lot to do with it, and less with the quality of the book itself.

As for the actual question, I’m not very good at that so sorry :ph34r: But maybe that helped you realize more of why.

7 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

First, saying their opinion isn't bad even if it's disapproving, it might make people not try it out, but they likely wouldn't anyways, plus quite a few people dislike Twilight (I haven't read it), it's not an unpopular opinion.

Second, I have no idea, I'm home schooled, wait try getting homeschooled that might help.

6 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

Hmm... so you want help telling guys that their opinions are not facts? 

I have no idea how to help. Most Guys (not including me) I know are stubborn jerks...

hmm... I can't help with the other problem as I sit by myself on purpose.

3 minutes ago, Ookla's Dice said:

Hmmm I think a lot of it is that Twilight  is known as like the ‘girl romance vampire book’ and I’d say 95% of guys haven’t read it, including me :P. But first, I haven’t read it so I dunno, and second I very much doubt it’s a bad book. Actually, I’d say if most of the dissers are teen boys the book’s reputation (and theirs) has a lot to do with it, and less with the quality of the book itself.

As for the actual question, I’m not very good at that so sorry :ph34r: But maybe that helped you realize more of why.

:) Yeah, so many people just take the general consensus about Twilight and use it as their own opinion even if they haven't read it. Especially if they haven't read it. I really enjoy it, but many people haven't. And that means that everyone feels like they can form their opinion without reading the book.

Sounds like I should ask some people who are more social. :P

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
Just now, Ookla the Grammatical said:

I'm social, I just don't go to school, there's a difference :P

18 minutes ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

:) Yeah, so many people just take the general consensus about Twilight and use it as their own opinion even if they haven't read it. Especially if they haven't read it. I really enjoy it, but many people haven't. And that means that everyone feels like they can form their opinion without reading the book.

I am social. I just am bad at being social. No offense taken :P 

Hm... Twilight is definitely a... controversial thing.

I personally hate romance, but I don't think it's okay for anyone to outright say that a book sucks, and then just think everyone should agree. While some books definitely do suck, many do have some redeeming qualities. (I can't speak about Twilight, as I've never read it, and have no desire whatsoever to read it.) 

But me, as a socially awkward person who cannot speak up in situations like these, would likely just continue sitting quietly and just ignore the close-mindedness of the peoples and continue day-dreaming about dragons.

If the subject comes up in a situation where you feel comfortable discussing it, I'd say go for it. Just defend the redeemable qualities of it. Acknowledge that nothing is perfect, and everyone has different tastes in literature. If none of the people you're talking to have read it, though, don't even bother. It isn't, in my opinion, worth the effort.

1 hour ago, Ookla's Dice said:

I am social. I just am bad at being social.

ME.

Kind of. One side of me, at least.

I would say that is primarily just boy stubbornness as everyone else has pointed out. It could be though that you like it because you are femalen and they don't because they are malen. Either way passing ideas off as facts in anything is a no bueno!

They may be basing their ideas off of the movies (which were poorly rated) and not actually have read the books as Dice put. In which case I would say something like, "True for the movies for sure, the books were honestly not that bad though they were so different" (allowing them an out in "Oh I only watched the movies, huh") 

You want to give them a way of changing their opinion without having to admit they were wrong. This could also be, "Honestly once you read the books all the way through..." and if you are firm enough in your opinion they could concede "Huh yeah I guess it was just the first one I didn't like" and not have to be "wrong." Boys are weird like that :P

4 hours ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

1. Don't know, I usually just sit in the corner, and ignore them

2. They can't do that if they can't find you

Out of curiosity, though, who first had the thought: "romance ... but with vampires!" And then how did it become such a weirdly huge phenomenon? And powered almost entirely by teen girls?

Not dissing Twilight, I haven't read it. It just seems like just an oddly niche thing to have spawned such a huge genre.

7 hours ago, Ookla the Antagonist said:

1. Don't know, I usually just sit in the corner, and ignore them

2. They can't do that if they can't find you

That's definitely what I should do. Just hide... during all of my classes... so my classmates can't find me to ask me to sit with them at lunch. Genius! ;)

1 hour ago, BreezeCauthon said:

Out of curiosity, though, who first had the thought: "romance ... but with vampires!" And then how did it become such a weirdly huge phenomenon? And powered almost entirely by teen girls?

Not dissing Twilight, I haven't read it. It just seems like just an oddly niche thing to have spawned such a huge genre.

EDWARD!!! :):):):):) 

Sorry. It is kind of a niche, but you make space where there is space. And older women love Twilight as well. I don't know for certain about anyone else.

12 hours ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

Yeah I haven't read it, (or watched the movies) but like 90% of what I've heard about it (especially the movies) is that it's not good, so that's just kinda what I've assumed. 

but that's not a good thing to do i just do it

Edited by bruh

9 minutes ago, bruh said:

Yeah I haven't read it, (or watched the movies) but like 90% of what I've heard about it (especially the movies) is that it's not good, so that's just kinda what I've assumed. 

but that's not a good thing to do i just do it

And the thing is, even if you read it then you might not like it. It is super romantic. But so many people dismiss it offhand.

21 hours ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

I found a solution. You can just split your body up into however many pieces are needed, and send one piece to each table :)