Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

7 hours ago, Briar King said:

Can I look forward to another graphic leap from 3 to 4 or are them same way like 1&2?

As mentioned, CS4 is the same as 3 and Hajimari is mostly the same in terms of graphics (the animations are more dynamic at appropriate place however) but they threw in a teaser of the new engine they've been working on for one scene. Kuro no Kiseki will be the first game to make full use of it, so it will represent a graphics leap compared to the games before it.

Edited by Weltall

4 hours ago, NattyBo said:

Will it spoil anything major if I play the Erebonia arc before crossbell arc? With my PC out of commission for at least a week, I figured I could start CS1 on vita, since my plans to play a non jrpg kinda got thrown off 

You don't need to play the prior games.

Everything you need to know about the story of the Cold Steel games, is given to you in the Cold Steel games. Characters from prior games make appearances, but they are not the focus of the story.

Cold Steel has minor spoilers for prior games. All you get told is that there was a crisis in Liberl a couple years ago, and that there is an adventure going on in Crossbell concurrent to the Cold Steel story. And a handful of other minor spoilers that you are likely to miss, and will forget about by the time you actually get to the other games.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

As mentioned, CS4 is the same as 3 and Hajimari is mostly the same in terms of graphics (the animations are more dynamic at appropriate place however) but they threw in a teaser of the new engine they've been working on for one scene. Kuro no Kiseki will be the first game to make full use of it, so it will represent a graphics leap compared to the games before it.

New engine ≠ graphical leap.

Graphics of Hajimari seems to be overall the same as CS3+4, just with a slightly new artstyle for the way character's faces are modelled.

Edited by Val the Moofia Boss

1 minute ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

You don't need to play the prior games.

Everything you need to know about the story of the Cold Steel games, is given to you in the Cold Steel games. Characters from prior games make appearances, but they are not the focus of the story.

Cold Steel has minor spoilers for prior games. All you get told is that there was a crisis in Liberl a couple years ago, and that there is an adventure going on in Crossbell concurrent to the Cold Steel story. And a handful of other minor spoilers that you are likely to miss, and will forget about by the time you actually get to the other games.

CS3 and 4 exist, so I beg to differ. And Hajimari is literally an epilogue for Crossbell as much as it is for CS

11 hours ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

New engine ≠ graphical leap.

Have you seen the new engine scene in Hajimari? Because yes, it is visibly a graphical leap over every other scene in the same game using the older engine. Kondo even uses those exact words to describe the engine in the first Kuro interview. It's like you don't actually know as much as you like to think you do about these games...

Edited by Weltall

I’m digging CS1. The prologue chapter was fun, and now getting into chapter 1. I had to stop and post because as someone from the mid Atlantic US, it’s hilariously on the nose that the rich, storied academy in Erebonia has...lacrosse. Too real, folks.

Holy hell did that pop off but holy hell it took so long! That was close to 2 hrs between saves. Phew!

I might even be slightly miffed at the lack of something I frequently gripe about but I will leave that for later. I got a migraine now.

Edited by Briar King

CS3 ch 1 stuff

I have completed my 1st outing seemingly as I left on the train after the Hamel stuff. I was quite shocked it was so um abrupt..I’m both grateful and yet kinda miffed that there was no concluding dialogue rounds at camp, Parm and SA. We just left... and it was strange. It was a hell of a sequence though but boy was it long. That had to be one of the longest consecutive bits of the 3 games. Enjoyed it. I saved on the option screen and will continue on in the AM.

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

CS3 ch 1 stuff

Hide contents

I have completed my 1st outing seemingly as I left on the train after the Hamel stuff. I was quite shocked it was so um abrupt..I’m both grateful and yet kinda miffed that there was no concluding dialogue rounds at camp, Parm and SA. We just left... and it was strange. It was a hell of a sequence though but boy was it long. That had to be one of the longest consecutive bits of the 3 games. Enjoyed it. I saved on the option screen and will continue on in the AM.

So some small characterization you might not pick up on from the end of the chapter if you haven't played the Crossbell games.

Spoiler

Shirley shows a surprising depth of character. In Azure, she was basically at a 20 in crazy at all times. She was always itching for a fight and she was very murder happy. But Hamel actually shows how her character has sort of evolved offscreen since Azure, because she actually shows restraint, she shows respect towards Loewe and Hamel, and she allows others to pay their respect before getting into the action. All of that was very surprising when you've played Azure and know how she was like back then. 

Kuro's official website updated with a bunch of info and some teaser videos of the combat system at work. There be some Hajimari spoilers in here

Spoiler

- The protagonist is named Van Arkride, he's twenty-four and is described as a pragmatist with a dry sense of humor. He sort of fell into the Spriggan job but is good at it and has a wide range of connections.

- The heroine is Agnes Claudel and is indeed the blonde girl from Renne's segment of Beyond the Beginning, attending Aramis Academy. She's sixteen and hires Arkride to help locate an antique orbment belonging to her great-grandfather which was stolen.

- Aaron Wei is the last of the originally introduced trio, being a nineteen year old playboy who practices the third of Calvard's great schools of martial arts (Gekka/Moon-Flower or Moonlight if you go for the Chinese reading though there isn't furigana to support this). He loves gambling and performing sword-dances while playing a female role. I like him already.

- The new character revealed is Feri Al-Fayed, thirteen and a jaeger belonging to a group called Kurgha. She's spent her life training to fight and isn't very knowledgeable about life in the city. She's searching for some jaegers of her acquaintance who suddenly went missing. She fights with a hybrid weapon called an Assault Sword (somewhere between Fie's and a full-on Blade Rifle) and seems to believe in a goddess other than Aidios.

There's also more screenshots and some actual battle footage (but no audio) showing off the Action and Command systems and how they can be shifted instantly. Sepith Mass is returning based on the post-battle display and so is the Tactical Bonus system for multiplying your EXP, though the display doesn't currently show how the bonuses are added up yet.

3 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

So some small characterization you might not pick up on from the end of the chapter if you haven't played the Crossbell games.

Hide contents

Shirley shows a surprising depth of character. In Azure, she was basically at a 20 in crazy at all times. She was always itching for a fight and she was very murder happy. But Hamel actually shows how her character has sort of evolved offscreen since Azure, because she actually shows restraint, she shows respect towards Loewe and Hamel, and she allows others to pay their respect before getting into the action. All of that was very surprising when you've played Azure and know how she was like back then. 

Interestingly, this wasn't completely out of left field.

Spoiler

Enforcers numbers are associated with the Major Arcana (a point that gets mentioned in The 3rd, albeit in a non-canonical quiz minigame) and XVII is The Star, which can represent a reprieve after turmoil and the possibility of renewal and this implied at least the possibility of growth for Shirley even before CS3 came out and showed that yeah, she has matured. In some ways at least.

Edited by Weltall

Hopefully that 69 year old character will be a party member. I can't think of any JRPG characters that old except for Rosine from Granblue Fantasy. (NOT counting "thousand year old immortals" like Kaim from Lost Odyssey).

Not sure how to feel about the camera auto locking on to your target while moving the characters around during turn based combat.

Spoiler

Feri sounds like a genderflipped Fie. Grew up in a jaeger corps, his corps disappears on him, goes looking for them.

Also, starting to feel sad for Elaine already. With Agnes now confirmed to be the main heroine, the odds of her winning the Van-bowl are grim. It's going to be Kloe all over again. The childhood friendzone curse strikes again!

46 minutes ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

Hopefully that 69 year old character will be a party member. I can't think of any JRPG characters that old except for Rosine from Granblue Fantasy. (NOT counting "thousand year old immortals" like Kaim from Lost Odyssey).

MacBain from the Gagharv Trilogy comes close at 62.

Reveal hidden contents

Feri sounds like a genderflipped Fie. Grew up in a jaeger corps, his corps disappears on him, goes looking for them.

<headdesk>

Spoiler

Feri is a girl.

I wonder what kind of adaptation it will be. I remember Persona 4 the Animation being like "Ok, we know you played the game already, and the story has too many details to adapt faithfully, so have 26 episodes of fanservice instead", and it somehow worked. It was a complement to the game instead of a substitute. 

I've always thought that a Kiseki anime wouldn't work precisely because a big part of the story comes through wandering around talking to people and that just wouldn't be entertaining in a TV show. 

I'm not really worried about it, not expecting the perfect adaptation by any means, but I'm really curious. 

Edited by Eluvianii

Apaprently the CS anime won't be an adaptation, it will tell an original story that showcases events we never got to see. So that opens the floodgates for all kind of things. Could be Driechels backstory, could be Osborne backstory, could be CS1 field studies, could be following Olivert in CS2, could be the annexation in between 2 and 3. There are many options

23 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Apaprently the CS anime won't be an adaptation, it will tell an original story that showcases events we never got to see. So that opens the floodgates for all kind of things. Could be Driechels backstory, could be Osborne backstory, could be CS1 field studies, could be following Olivert in CS2, could be the annexation in between 2 and 3. There are many options

Ooh that's even better then. If this works I want a Hundred Days War anime next. 

9 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

The NA annexation sounds the most likely to me, as it is relevant to most interested people (features popular characters) and showcases a location that will likely never be explored in the games. They could also showcase the other things Rean did in between CS2 and CS3.

Hundred Days War... not so much, as it has to do with background characters that aren't very popular (no one goes "jeez, I want to see Morgan and Zechs in an anime!"), and doesn't showcase any new locations.

EDIT: It could also be stuff that was cut from the games due to time constraints, such as the memoirs.

CS3 ch 2 stuff

I didn’t get very far today. Only up to night time in Levees. The start of the chapter was extremely cool seeing Alisa and I still think she sounds way off at 1st but kinda lvls out once Sharon comes in office. It was weird. Liked the Alfin and Elise bit. Emma though my god why did they have to put her in one of those stupid hats?! I hate the hats in this series! They seriously turn me off and I typically try to place people in outfits without them. I made Towa run around in a teddy just to get that captain hat off her head last game! I hollered at my tv screen when I saw that thing on my precious Emma’s head!! Urg

Edited by Briar King