Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

With the sales figures for the Trails series when we still had data from when Steamspy in early 2018, there was little reason to believe that Crossbell would be localized over more profitable games. Given that XSEED experienced layoffs after they lost the rights to continue localizing Falcom games, it would appear that they weren't making that much money off of those games after all. Obviously it would appear that the situation has changed with NISA's arrival. Perhaps NISA's marketing efforts has made the Trails series more popular in the West, and thus localizing the Crossbell games would be more profitable nowadays than back then. Alternatively, Falcom could be giving NISA a bigger cut of the share.

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

I'm kinda curious. Geofront made it a conscious decision to rename Zero Trails from Zero when they had been using Trails to Zero. Now the official one is also using from, even though there tends to be a huge leap between fan translations and official translations to the point where things aren't even similar. 

So did they just came to the same conclusion that 'from' was a better fit? Or are they collaborating with Geofront in any capacity? I think this is a case where collaborating would benefit all parties. Also would explain how they're doing this with only one year to spare. 

IIRC Trails from Zero was a website domain name that XSEED had registered in case they ever acquired the rights to the game. The Geofront team simply ran with it for their fan translation.

No way will NISA be using the Geofront's translation. There are far too many people involved in the creation of the Geofront TL to track them all down and get signatures from everyone. XSEED already learned their lesson with the Ys: the Oath in Felghana fiasco. That said, collaboration with the former XSEED translators would be nice for the sake of consistency, as NISA's terminology for CS3 and CS4 was inconsistent with previous entries in the series.

Edited by Val the Moofia Boss

13 hours ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

No way will NISA be using the Geofront's translation. There are far too many people involved in the creation of the Geofront TL to track them all down and get signatures from everyone.

So Val, how does being proven oh so wrong twice in the same day feel?

https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/06/25/from-fantasy-to-reality-our-partnership-with-nis-america/

32 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

There was apparently a big spoiler that already happened, revealing the identity of Hajimari's C. 

Yeah, I wouldn't order the 40th Anniversary merchandise that NISA is selling right now, they (or rather Falcom since it's their stuff) used art from after Hajimari was released and there's a visual spoiler in it. Or order it and don't look at it for, like, two years if you care about spoilers.

Edited by Weltall

1 minute ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

Is NISA straight up licensing the Geofront's scripts? Or are they employing the Geofront translators and redoing the script to avoid legal issues?

Well first, they made a deal with Geofront so there can't be legal issues with it. Second, Geofront said that NISA is using it as a base, so presumably they're editing the TL slightly

2 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Well first, they made a deal with Geofront so there can't be legal issues with it. Second, Geofront said that NISA is using it as a base, so presumably they're editing the TL slightly

The last time a fan TL was licensed (Ys Oath in Felghana), it caused a word of mouth problem for XSEED and they never did it again. Geofront has many, many more people involved in its creation than that fan TL did and tracking everyone down and I'd imagine that getting their signature on licensing the TL would be a nightmare.

19 minutes ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

Is NISA straight up licensing the Geofront's scripts? Or are they employing the Geofront translators and redoing the script to avoid legal issues?

Maybe if you read their announcement before opening your mouth...

We reached an agreement with NIS America and, now, our text—the text you have seen in our localization patches—will serve as the basis for the official releases of the Crossbell duology.

That's thrice in one day. Wanna try for four?

Exactly the same thing that XSEED did with Oath in Felghana:, take the fan translation, use it as the basis for the official localization meaning that they might go through and edit things so it won't be the exact same text but they aren't going to retranslate everything from the Japanese all over again.

Edited by Weltall

33 minutes ago, NattyBo said:

Kinda having fun breaking CS II on normal mode. I’ve got Fie equipped with an orbment that makes counters automatically critical, and with gear and orbment I have her at 100% evade XD

If you use the Wing MQ, and good use of evasion items and evasion stacking quartz and items (like the Patterened Shirt), you can get 100% evasion and have a really high magic absorb rate on a character, so that character will be near totally immune to literally everything except one boss's S-craft.

Making good progress, just beat one of the primary villains. 

Spoiler

Used an all protag (and Rixia) team, that was awesome. ALL of the scenes during the fight with Supreme Leader Rufus were amazing. It was really funny when they set up for Rufus joining in to help fight the giant robot only to be like "Screw that, I'm out, later".

Wrapped CS2 just now. Gosh I always seem to forget that every time you think you’re close to the end, you’re not, in a Trails game. It can be called Epilogue and they’ll throw a multi hour dungeon at you. Overall I thought CS2 was a bit middling as far as Trails games go. 

Looking forward to CS3 with all the praise it’s gotten around the net. I’m gonna switch from PC to switch for this one since I’ll be taking some vacations. 

Edited by NattyBo

Popping in 

My kids and nephew and niece are finally gone! It has been a long 2 weeks!

ANYWAY! I finally have CS3 booted up on my 2nd 75in screen and boy oh boy am I happy! This tv actually has the 2.1 ports I asked for the 1st time and I also have it upscaled to 8K. This 2nd tv was well worth the extra $600 over the other one. Near oled quality imo. Nanocell is quite good. A bit of haloing around lighter stuff when on dark background but the blacks are pretty dope. Ghost of Tsushima and No Man’s Sky are insane on this thing! Oh man I can’t wait to get some true PS5/Xbox X games on this thing.

Next upgrade in a year or so will definitely be an 85 oled when tech is just that tad much cheaper. 

Looking forward to finishing CS3 off on this beast and so happy I’m off that 32 incher I’ve been stuck on the last 10 months since hurricanes!

ed: haha I just loaded up old saves from ch 2 and let’s just say I now notice certain physics going on with this bigger screen..

Edited by Briar King