Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

CS3 character stuff: don’t read if not playing.

there is a huge difference between Musse at ATS 1301 and Altina ATS 1301. Altina packs the bigger punch. Figured it would be kinda even but nope she is getting a few thousand more points of damage out of the same spells Musse cast. 

Musse looks fantastic with violet hair

16 minutes ago, urrutiap said:

Do I really need to play either Trails of Cold Steel 1 or 2 before I playing Cold Steel III in order to understand the story and characters?

The amount of people using this same analogy can be grating but it's true: Starting ToCS from 3 would be pretty similar to starting Mistborn from HoA. 

1 hour ago, urrutiap said:

Do I really need to play either Trails of Cold Steel 1 or 2 before I playing Cold Steel III in order to understand the story and characters?

Unless you enjoy reading novels from the middle, I’d recommend playing CS 1 & 2 first.

21 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Did some more episodes in Reverie.

Reveal hidden contents

Specifically, I did the Grandmaster episode, and it seems like Gramhardt will be the new Osborne. That episode was pretty great.

Reverie Postgame

Spoiler

Yeah, that Episode is really something and they pack a ton of stuff into it. Gramheart seems like he's a different sort of player than Osborne, though he has the potential to be an equally interesting antagonist. He's clearly got his own agenda with a fancy name, access to way more information than he should (and we'd dearly love to possess) and impressive resources. The fact that he approaches Ouroboros first definitely sets him up as someone to keep an eye on.

Then there's the introduction of a new faction that's mentioned in the same breath as the Church and Epstein and which Novartis at least considers more impressive than either of them in their accomplishment.

And then there's discussion of a new Seventh Anguis and a role that McBurn is uniquely suited to fill. So yeah, busy Episode indeed.

3 hours ago, NattyBo said:

Wow, that was eventful midchapter 1 in CS3!

Reveal hidden contents

Helluva way for Shirley to make her “official” introduction. And now she’s an enforcer!? Also, reunited with Laura and Fie, the 2 best OG class VII members, so life is good!

While we didn't know this for a fact pre-CS3, it was pretty much inevitable after Azure.

Spoiler

We knew Shirley was scouted as an Enforcer candidate from the end of that earlier game, so the fact that she's become one by CS3 (about fifteen months later) wasn't a big surprise. The fact that she ended up as XVII was a bit surprising based on the symbolism associated with The Star.

Edited by Weltall

6 hours ago, urrutiap said:

Jumping into CS3 without having played CS1 and CS2 is like jumping into Zeta Gundam without having seen the first Gundam show. You could somewhat follow along, but the story assumes you are already invested in the characters and know what the politics are.

So my switch physical copy of CSIII keeps freezing totally up. Chapter 2, every time I enter the dorms. I tried completing some other quests to see if maybe that did the trick but nope. Ugh. I bought this ages ago so no chance of returning/exchanging it, either.

Speaking of actual characters, we got a little surprise in Kuro news this morning via an update to Falcom's website. Spoilers for Reverie and CS4 by implication:

Spoiler

- Zin is reintroduced and Kilika and Walter are mentioned by implication with the note that the relationship between the three of them is tense. Taito is identified as the third of the great Eastern styles and the reason Zin is identified as being 'quasi S-rank' is that he requested his promotion be deferred after it was offered to him following the end of the war.

- Fie is also reintroduced and given a canonical rank (B) and it's mentioned that she's in Calvard to help deal with a rise in incidents that the Guild is dealing with. She likes cracking jokes to the much more serious Elaine.

- And finally, 'Hime' now has a proper name: Shizuna Rem Misurugi. She's second in command of the warrior group Ikaruga which has its base somewhere in the ruined lands of the East. She's identified as a master of the Black God One Blade Style and bears the title Silver (or possibly Platinum, it's the same in Japanese) Divine Blade. As mentioned in Beyond the Beginning she wears a combination of Eastern-style clothing mixed with the latest in advanced body armor and carries a black Eastern-style 'treasured sword', specifically an Oodachi. Her innocent appearance is contrasted by the coldness she displays when confronting a strong opponent. The resemblance between her style and Yun Ka-fai's Eight Leaves One Blade is teased just in case you somehow managed to forget that bit from the previous game.

Edited by Weltall

Popping in

CS3 Ch 4 day 1 afternoon stuff

finished day 1. Was so great seeing OG C7 fully together. Copper Gorge, Crimson Roselia just keeps throwing new stuff into the fray and I’m clueless but having a ball.

Son is here so I don’t expect to be able to continue on till tomorrow’s 4PM session which is such a long way off from now.

1 minute ago, Weltall said:

Seeing how you're in the postgame, it wasn't hard to guess. :P

Hide contents

So you've seen the Grandmaster and Osborne ones, are those the only ones you've unlocked so far?

Nah I've unlocked almost all of them. I just haven't done all of them yet. I did those two and also the 

Spoiler

Bright family one, and I'm doing the Ash one right now. The only Episodes I have yet to unlock are the three that Kitsune titles "Beyond the Genesis", being "Another Hot Spring Town", "That Girl's Ordinary School Life", and "The Sword Maiden Moves On".

Popping in

CS3 ch 4 day 2 stuff

lmao that whole St. Astria perv sting was funny and epic. 

The calls coming in from all main peeps is really painting a cool and mysterious picture. Something is most definitely building up and I can’t wait to see it.

Gaius was NOT this interesting in 1&2. He is being set up to become legend imo and I will be very pissed off if it’s glossed over somewhat. He sees the Wind in colors now..he had no S craft in ch 3.. his star is rising! This has GOT to pay off. Also I threw his silver hair on and boy does he look badass with it and those pinkish/reddish eyes.

There was a minor Kuro update that slid in quietly last week, the official site now has a page for all the shop-specific bonus goodies. Falcom's own offering is (as typical) still unrevealed and other store goods don't have any promotional art yet. There are at least two different DLC item packs (from Tsutaya and Rakuten respectively) but what they contain hasn't been revealed yet.

One very interesting detail that's been noted in these shop goodies:

Spoiler

The Chara Ani cards show four scenes that are obviously of the main cast, which means that the last one is probably Judith in her 'other' profession, which looks like she's either playing costumed vigilante or phantom thief. Okay, it's technically possible that's something like a promotional poster for a film she's starring in, but not likely.

16 hours ago, Briar King said:

CS3 ch 4 day 2 stuff

Reveal hidden contents

lmao that whole St. Astria perv sting was funny and epic. 

The calls coming in from all main peeps is really painting a cool and mysterious picture. Something is most definitely building up and I can’t wait to see it.

Gaius was NOT this interesting in 1&2. He is being set up to become legend imo and I will be very pissed off if it’s glossed over somewhat. He sees the Wind in colors now..he had no S craft in ch 3.. his star is rising! This has GOT to pay off. Also I threw his silver hair on and boy does he look badass with it and those pinkish/reddish eyes.

I'm gonna need a bigger carton of popcorn, I think.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:12 PM, aneonfoxtribute said:

Finished Ash episode, it was great 

Speaking of Episodes that hit you harder than you might have expected... that one manages to punch all your buttons at one point or another.

Edited by Weltall