The Newcago Court

Quiver

Yes, that explains a lot! Thanks. Are there any resources you can recommend where I can learn more about this?

Try reading Bill Bryson's "Mother Tongue". Very interesting and funny book about languages. (Any Bill Bryson book is funny and entertaining. Read them. I highly recommend them.)

Queen Elsa, are you not aware of the secret monstrosity you are? If you look back a page, Quiver confirmed that he made you from living souls.

What is this, Fullmetal Alchemist?  :P

Also, Malliw, I'm quite sure you too are jacked and amped up on Hemalurgic Spikes and such. Don't preach about someone being a demon when you are not far from one.

*Stabs Leftinch at the back with a butter knife, to paralyze, not to kill*

Joe, we are waiting for that ChaosAxe to come down and we have no more patience.

That is not the real Elsa. I feared that she might have been forged by the Knave who was planning this all along. As soon as he was raised to the rank of Forger, he did this.

I put milk (not white chocolate), and brown food color and not chocolate on the Chwaffle and she still loved it! Chocolate is what makes the real queen happy. This....impostor...forged out of dead souls and whatnot is NOT the real queen.

With a shudder and a sound half sigh, half shout, the Lady Feather all but collapsed, falling to one knee. She knelt for a moment, taking deep breaths, then she looked up at the court. Her form shimmered and her earlier appearance flowed across her in a wave of light, spikes vanishing, dark robes becoming an opulent dress once again.

"Harmony, but I do so hate when he does that." She gave one mirthless laugh as she stood. "Ah, the prices ones pays for power. I knew what I was getting into when I was recruited, but I do wish it was not so uncomfortable to go through." 

She turned to the once-Featherbow with a grin. "Oh, dearest Quiver. Thinkest thou that I alter my appearance for anyone's sake but my own? You cannot expect one with the ability to change her form to be anything other than vain, can you? As said before, I do not need to recruit followers. They seek me out, and none do so because of my appearance. My allegiance to the admins is well proclaimed. You need not see the spkes to know them. I have never been one to hide."

And stealing the OOC blue because there is talk about linguistics and thou pronouns and HELLO FRIENDS I AM HERE TO HELP. I'll put it under a spoiler tag so as not to clog things up, because prepare for an essay. Spoiler alert: Feather is a nerd.

So, first things first, usage. English pronouns have four forms. Subject, Object, Possessive, and Object Pronoun. Those names are possibly incorrect but whatever close enough. It doesn't really matter what they're named. (There's also technically the Reflexive Pronoun, but that one's easy. You just tack -self onto the end of the possessive. "Myself/Yourself/Herself/Thyself/Ourselves/Themselves)

Subject: {X} walked down the street

• I walk down the street.
  • You walk down the street.
  • She walks down the street.
  • We walk down the street.
  • They walk down the street.

Object: The man walked over to {X}

• The man walked over to me.
  • The man walked over to you.
  • The man walked over to her.
  • The man walked over to us.
  • The man walked over to them.

Possessive: Those are {X} cookies.

• Those are my cookies.
  • Those are your cookies.
  • Those are her cookies.
  • Those are our cookies.
  • Those are their cookies.

Object Pronoun: Those cookies are {X}

• Those cookies are mine.
  • Those cookies are yours.
  • Those cookies are hers.
  • Those cookies are ours.
  • Those cookies are theirs.

Now when you're working with the "thou" pronoun, it's easy to get confused, because while it looks a lot like "you" and functions in the same grammatical way, its inflections actually more closely resemble those of the first person singular, I/me/my/mine. In order, the four pronouns that you have to work with are thou/thee/thy/thine.

• Thou walkest down the street.
  • The man walked over to thee.
  • Those are thy cookies.
  • Those cookies are thine.

>>> Sidenote: back in the early days of English, the possessive pronoun wasn't used in front of a vowel. You used the object pronoun instead. So, while you might ask "Where are my glasses?" you would also ask "Where is mine ice cream?" That's how we get sentences like "Do mine eyes deceive me?"  or, from the hymn "Be Thou My Vision" we have the phrase: "Thou mine inheritance, now and always." So, if you feel like getting really authentic, you can use "thy" in front of consonants, and "thine" in front of vowels. Or, if you don't feel like it, you can do like we do in modern English (where we use "my" in all those places) and just use "thy" everywhere instead.

It is worth noting that thou does have a different conjugation than the other forms. English gets spoiled because almost all of our verbs have the same conjugations. Only third person singular, he/she/it, gets a separate form. (You add an -s to the end of verbs that are third person singular.) In the same way, second person singular, thou, gets it's own verb forms. Most of them end in -st. Thou dost. Thou canst. Thou wishest. Thou wakest. Thou knowest. I'm sure you can look them up somewhere to get the absolutely correct forms, but for the most part, you can probably just wing the conjugation in reguar settings.

>>>Sidenote: It's worth noting that the verb "to be" is highly irregular in just about every language, and English is no exception. The correct form for thou is "art". I am, Thou art, He/She/It is, We/You/They are.

Singular                     Plural

1st     I/me/my/mine               We/us/our/ours

2nd   Thou/thee/thy/thine     You/you/your/yours

3rd    He/him/his/his              They/them/their/theirs

She/her/her/hers

It/it/its/its

The second person singular pronoun is a lexical gap in the English language right now. Because we use "you" for both singular and plural, there is ambiguity. Sometimes people will therefore use modifiers like "you all" and "y'all" or "you guys" in order to convey specific plurality.

See, many of the European language familes have what we call a T/V dichotomy for second person pronouns. This holds for most of the Romance languages, but the only one I know off the top of my head is French, so that's the one I'll use. Singular forms tend to start with "T", like French's "tu" or, as we can see here, English's thou. Plural forms tend to use a v, like French's "vous" or English (the rulebreaker it is) using "you". 

And of course, because we always want to make things difficult, there's some interesting usage rules too. Even in its proper form, thou is always singular, but you can be singular and plural. In a setting where you are using "thou", "you" would be used as a respectful singular second person pronoun. You would address a superior with "you" or someone to whom you wish to be polite. Thou would be reserved for friends, family members, and other people you are very close to. When used with a stranger, it would be a very rude thing to do.

"Thou" also gets used when speaking to deities, and I've never been entirely sure why. My best guess is that it reflects the personal relationship one might have to God, rather than a distancing, overly formal address with "you". *shrug*

WITH THAT, I hereby declare you fully educated on the subject of Early Modern English pronouns. Go forth and speak correctly, my dear friends.

Quitecontrary, Joe this is unacceptable! Under no circumstances may you harm or kill any member of Newcago. You are hereby both banished until further notice.

I will honour our contract with the Wafflesworn. For now. But you must send another representative because our is only our great mercy that is keeping you alive. That will be all.

*turns around with a swirl of her cape and heads back to the dungeons*

That sounds quite unsanitary.

My apologies for offending your sensibilities, Sir Swimmingly.

But blood...*shudders*

I have to go. My, evil self is rearing its ugly head again.

YOU. KILLED. MY. KNAVE!

Yanks bag from Quitecontrary and revives him with ice healing powers.

*sneezes* Hello, the real Queen Elsa is back.

That. Was a Forged Knave. The real one must be disrupting another kingdom right now.

But thank you for restoring peace once again, Queen Elsa.

And thank you for proving that you really are she. Or are you?...*dum dum duuuum*

--

My apologies, Princess Delightful. My hobbies have gotten in the way of my duties. Like I said, beware of hobbies. They can sometimes...take over.

Vase and glass breaking room? I was not aware those existed...

Queen Elsa. 

It exists. 

A room which contains a myriad of breakable items. Pots, vases, mirrors, crystals, plates, etc.

When I'm exasperated, I go to this room, pick up something and throw it against the wall.

Prevents my...other side...from hurting others...like what I just asked Joe to do to the regenerated Quiver.

Master Leftinch. Feel free to take revenge on me after what I did to you.

And *whispers* do you have any books in your archive to help me deal with this?

*Princess Delightful pulls out knife from my back, and I cough up a ton of blood*

Yeah I think there's some books in there. They're pretty heavy, why don't you come down to the archive with me to help me grab them.

The Mistress of the Kitchens looks at the blood on the floor and freezes.

"M-master Leftinch...can you please have someone tidy that up?"

She heard her heartbeat thundering in her ears. The call of blood was so strong.

She turned on her heel and walked swiftly to the stone cold stairs leading to the Archives. She needed to find answers now.

"I'll take care of it right now, be careful not to get lost down there."

LeftInch suddenly grinned maniacly. Miss Contrary wasn't the only person that blood did funny things to. It might be time to let out the god of murder :ph34r: :ph34r: :lol: :lol:

Her hand stilled as she was about to open the door to the Archives.

"Master Leftinch, how did you know what books to suggest? Like you had an inkling of what's going on in my head? Chaos once called me Goddess of Murder.Did he tell you about me?", she said quietly, looking at the glass door, and seeing the scholar's reflection come closer.

She turned to see Leftinch there...far too close, knife in hand.