Favorite Disproven/Unlikely Theory?

dantlee

What are some of your favorite theories you came up with in WoK and/or WoR that were later proven incorrect (or are very unlikely to occur after OB)? I read on my phone so it's often funny to see my old annotations/highlights/theories on re-reads. 

I formed this theory in WoR that Pattern would be the key to reading and properly understanding the Diagram. Pretty unlikely now that Mr. T has switched sides and he's re-interpreted the Diagram after his day of brilliance, but I thought it was a pretty good one at the time. 

21 minutes ago, dantlee said:

I formed this theory in WoR that Pattern would be the key to reading and properly understanding the Diagram. Pretty unlikely now that Mr. T has switched sides and he's re-interpreted the Diagram after his day of brilliance, but I thought it was a pretty good one at the time. 

Who knows, it might still happen!

My favorite unlikely theories were always unlikely due to their tinfoil/crackpot nature, but I've had this theory that Larkin are/were the Dawnshards, so there's that. 

Edit: I forgot to add that I think some of our main cast might end up with the Honorblades by the end of Book 5. Maybe. It's unlikely, but I like those types of theories!

Edited by Use the Falchion
More Stuff to Add

Taravangian bonding the Nightwatcher to become a rival Bondsmith and gathering radiants of his own. 

Only one part of that slightly happened. And I don't see the rest coming true after OB. 

Edited by Calderis

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

Taravangian bonding the Nightwatcher to become a rival Bondsmith and gathering radiants of his own. 

Only one part of that slightly happened. And I don't see the rest coming true after OB. 

Why are your theories so good!;)

WoK was the first Sanderson book I read, and until I was more than halfway through it I was convinced that humans had originally crash-landed on Roshar and that the Spren and Shardblades were scattered nanotech designed to react to human thoughts

I had a theory about Oaths, that everyone swears their 2nd through 5th oaths in a different sequence depending on the divine attributes and what they needed to work on in order to become the Ideal Knight of their Order. So someone like Kaladin would swear Protection oaths first while Lopen would do the leadership ones. That theory was unabashedly crushed but that's before I knew that the oaths are personalized along the same theme.

Stormlight was my first Sanderson series and I didnt know about the Cosmere. So when I saw Hoid as Wit, I knew something was strange about him. My theory was that he was actually from Earth and that's how he knew about non Rosharsn things like bunny rabbits. Turns out I wasnt completely wrong.

When I was first reading WoR and Kaladin was in jail after the 4v2 duel, I thought that deep down Amaram was a good person and would admit his crimes out of guilt, and maybe Kaladin would forgive him and they'd reform the Knights Radiants together.

Boy was I wrong

I was fascinated by Lift, when she appeared inside Dalinar vision I thought this was because she was the Avatar of Cultivation !?! Turns out she has a boon curse from the Nightwatcher and part of her boon is she can touch spren , which would make her exist in theory in both the cognitive and physical realms which explains how she entered Dalinar vision . Furthermore I have a theory that Lift was older than 13 . The idea She went to the Nightwatcher at 10 never made sense to me. I thought maybe she was an older woman who went to the nightwatcher and never wanted to grow up , so the nightwatcher told her she would always stay the same . I thought this meant she would always stay the same mentally . Forever having the mind of a child ( her curse) I notice she had started her period . Which girls typically start around the age of thirteen. So her body was aging but her mind was still childlike. While this theory hasn’t been disproven . No one in the group agreed so I’m sure it’s a pretty bad theory by most critics evaluation . Still interesting to think about . We know Lift will survive until the second series of 5 books thru WOB . So I can’t wait to see if it’s true or not !!!

I thought Elhokar was seeing a spren when he described the "shadows" following him around, and hoped he would become a Radiant of a type we hadn't seen yet, with a redemptive story arc. I was holding out for Willshaper.

Well, that almost happened. :( Storming Moash.

I thought that ehlokhar wasn’t really dead , I was thinking he would pop up again like jasnah , I figured he finished saying the paths in his head or under his breath and would heal . Or he subconsciously surgebinded an illusion of him dying so he could get away . It wasn’t until I realized the thing Hoid got from the ruins was actually ehlokar’s cryptic spren that realized that theory would never happen. Would have been nice though...... 

I also thought Adolin quasi dead shardblade maya was a stoneward blade and Adolin would resurrect maya to become a stoneward . When I found out maya was an edgedancer spren I was just devastated . While Adolin fighting style is similar to edgedancer , I don’t think his personality is akin to one ... maybe will see more.

When I learned that Odium's vessel's name was Rayse, I tried to imagine what he looked like in my head, someone full of hate and anger. What I ended up with was an evil looking Kaladin. I thought this this while I was reading WoK for the first time, and he was really hateful then, so that's probably what influenced me like that. But it got me thinking: what if Kaladin picks up Odium's shard? Now that I've read the series a couple times, I realize that Kaladin feels more depression than hatred, so it's not likely, but I'm still holding out

My favorite now-unlikely theory was that when the spren mimicked the Honorblades, they did so too well -- just as the Heralds were drawn into Damnation when they died, so too were the dead Radiants.  This secret (in conjugation with a few others) was in fact the primary secret that broke the old Knights Radiant.  No one wants to be dragged off to Braize when they die.

I'm still a firm believer:

Cosmere spoilers

Spoiler

Vasher will use his Divine Breath to awaken a cupcake.  (Or pancake, whatever.)  Lift will eat said cupcake.  Lift will become a Returned Awakener Edgedancer of at least the 5th Heightening.  Szeth will get a real Shardblade and give Lift Nightblood just because.  The latter half of the Stormlight Archive is not about Odium's desire to destroy, but rather his desire to get the hell away from Nightblood wielding Returned Awakener Edgedancer Lift.  

23 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

I'm still a firm believer:

Cosmere spoilers

Hide contents

Vasher will use his Divine Breath to awaken a cupcake.  (Or pancake, whatever.)  Lift will eat said cupcake.  Lift will become a Returned Awakener Edgedancer of at least the 5th Heightening.  Szeth will get a real Shardblade and give Lift Nightblood just because.  The latter half of the Stormlight Archive is not about Odium's desire to destroy, but rather his desire to get the hell away from Nightblood wielding Returned Awakener Edgedancer Lift.  

I’m still Rotfl laughing at this one !!! Too Effin funny !!!

When I finished WoK I thought that Kaladin would go find his parents or they would come to the Shattered Plains. Kaladin would have a baby sister (which I guess sort of happened) and he wouldn’t tell his parents about his powers until the end when he reveals himself to save their lives spectacularly.:lol:

I was disappointed to have to wait for Oathbringer to come out for his family to come in.

• Chaos locked this topic