Alleyverse Character Discussion

MacThorstenson

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Hi @NerdyAarakocra, your updated character sheet looks good, but I do have some questions regarding access to soul stamps. Could you perhaps list the stamps she has access to? It will be easier to understand her capabilities that way. Many thanks!

Of course! I'll do it right now.

16 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

@EmulatonStromenkiin

I think getting rid of the immortality might be a good thing. Something feels deeply wrong inside with a character that has functional immortality as a minor character trait :P. If it was going to be a foundational aspect of their character (i.e. a couple arcs were going to be grappling with their newfound unaging and what that means for how they act in this constantly changing world) then I would say lets keep it and rework somethings, but if it can be removed lets drop it. 

As for the framesight, thats a really awesome and descriptive ability! I like it, but would ask that its limited to forged objects, not all illusions in general. Perhaps you could say that all illusions have some form of mental component that influences their framesight as well as their real eyes. General illusion detection would be a bit more then a minor merit. 

With unageing being removed, that gives you another minor merit you can add if you would want, as soon as you get it let me know and I'll add balancer to an era 6 character list.

Oh, yes, I was planning on limiting it to forged objects, including the people who were created by the forgery. I'd say any Lightweaving illusion appears to be real due to the investiture, and mental illusions influence the mental sight, which is what the framesight is. I can't think of a minor merit I want right now, but given how powerful he is otherwise, I don't think I need it.

Revised sheet:

Spoiler

Name: Balance the Realizer. Goes by Balance

Appearance: Pale dark skinned with colored veins faintly visible beneath the skin, Deep black eyes with gold irises. Around 6 ft tall. Blue-brown hair. Otherwise, appearance is human.
NlDUJTnLbuTOsRFEsdd9hT5sQRf_au5WOUWC8i0-MMt63cELVb-D6gtXqXxdk6MOaNVZvdyQEWjja6k4Lzxzdi26AjjJswI7WDGN1H8hIx_c8lKy59GCczhAm-mx0yZ07nQ8VsU4ObPoQQf6QsVPTX6GRFDiFgUdTU_mjaaqa85QDUbWyZzT7RU

Guild: TUBA

Personality: He is wary of others and analytical. Decently smart, very imaginative, analytical. Doesn’t understand people. Due to his oddness, he was unaffected by Calamity’s influence and remains like a normalish human. Avoids friendships and closes himself off due to a fear of bringing ruin on them - this hurts him, as he likes to be around people and listen to them, it makes him feel needed.

Concept: He is lonely, troubled, and fearful of himself. Also, sad and tired of the destruction he has caused and thinks he has caused. He is wary of others and analytical.

Motivation (Short & long term goal): Short term: Get motivator from Demaren. Figure out changes in his cognitive aspect(changed to wireframe) and soon physical one. Long term: purge remnants of Calamity’s influence from himself. Destroy the Entity that he unleashed by accident, causing the destruction of his timeline

Merits: Minor: Smart; Framesight - can see the world as if it is made of his wireframes, lets him know if a Forgery has taken place due to the decay factor, and the location of wireframe objects created by his powers. No other illusions are visible.
Normal: Skilled Swordmaster; Realized cloak(made real) - self repairing, blends into the surroundings, making him hard to notice when standing still and wearing it
Major: Epic - Realizer. Able to create blue energy wireframes of just about anything. These wireframes have innate power and mimic actual objects in such a way that they can be used as the object with more power(i.e. A sword is actually sharp, only impossibly so), but will fade after a few hours if he is not actively using them and/or concentrating on them. He can also will them to fade. Upper limit of ten medium sized wireframe objects manifest at one time. With a significant investment of energy, can make the objects real, not just wireframes, and they will not fade. When this is done, any connection to him is severed, so he no longer knows where it is. The creation of the objects and use of the wireframes drains his bodily energy, and excessive use will start to use his matter as the energy. This resulted in his cognitive aspect changing into a wireframe, closer to the spiritweb, and will start to morph his body into wireframe as well. The dissociation between his cognitive aspect and his physical brain has allowed for more of Calamity’s influence to come into him.

Flaws: Bound to truth due to history - incapable of speaking untruth, but can stay silent, cannot purposely mislead or imply untruth - this has made him wary of situations in which he would be questioned, and so he avoids them whenever possible.
He is prone to depression because he blames himself for the destruction of his family and people. Depression in reference to his past triggers his epic weakness, though his actual weakness is failing/believing he failed to protect people that he was responsible for. When the depression in reference to his past is triggered, it tends to temporarily incapacitate him, which makes it harder to fight the entity that he released.
Bad at social interactions, and often misunderstands the purposes of people’s choices, leading to bad situations that could have been fixed if he was brave enough to ask the right questions. Clumsy in non-combat situations. Rushes into things, especially when he believes people are in danger.

NPCs (Eg. Family and Friends): no family alive. No friends alive(NPC).

Home Planet: Reckoners-Earth

Current Residence: Mac’s Boarding House

Backstory: Gained epic powers upon entering the Reckoners timeline. Due to mistakes he made, a great evil was released upon his peoples’ timeline, and it was prevented from spreading by the undoing of possibility, erasing their timeline and all other people in it. He now seeks to prevent the same great evil from coming into the rest of the universes, but refuses to tell people what it is. Through some quark, he was ejected as his timeline collapsed, resulting in him being unaging and bound to truth and landing him in a coma in the Reckoners universe, unaffected by Calamity in the same way that Dawnslight was. After Calamity was defeated he woke up and was active for a few months against some epics like Nightweaver, and in that time he learned how to use his powers. Another quark sent him to the Alleyverse, specifically the headquarters of TUBA in Alleycity. He was cared for by the people there until he woke up, after which he was very confused, with a somewhat broken memory that has gradually been returning. He feels a sense of obligation towards TUBA for caring for him, which is why he helps them when he can. Though he does not like being around people, he has gotten used to it and interacts with them. Was trained in the sword in his home world. 

Loose ends: Amend for the destruction of his home world/universe/timeline. Possibly also destroy the entity that he accidentally unleashed, resulting in the destruction of his timeline.

Fighting Style: two weapon-two wireframe scimitars. Prefers defense until spots opening for offense, except when vastly outnumbered, when he uses the techniques of Itari, moving so fast the enemies end up hitting each other.

35 minutes ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Of course! I'll do it right now.

Great, thank you. I think this character looks fine. The preoccupation with aggressive vs. loyal camels does not make sense to me narratively, but if you keep that element to specific guild or group threads and don’t go around creating hordes of angry camels that disrupt other scenes, then that is hardly my business and you should RP the heck out of it if you want. This world has certainly seen more absurd things. 

2 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Great, thank you. I think this character looks fine. The preoccupation with aggressive vs. loyal camels does not make sense to me narratively, but if you keep that element to specific guild or group threads and don’t go around creating hordes of angry camels that disrupt other scenes, then that is hardly my business and you should RP the heck out of it if you want. This world has certainly seen more absurd things. 

Thanks! I promise that I won't throw a huge number of camels where they make no sense. The camels originated as a forum joke. I can put the link up, if you want.

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

49 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Oh, yes, I was planning on limiting it to forged objects, including the people who were created by the forgery. I'd say any Lightweaving illusion appears to be real due to the investiture, and mental illusions influence the mental sight, which is what the framesight is. I can't think of a minor merit I want right now, but given how powerful he is otherwise, I don't think I need it.

Revised sheet:

Reveal hidden contents

Name: Balance the Realizer. Goes by Balance

Appearance: Pale dark skinned with colored veins faintly visible beneath the skin, Deep black eyes with gold irises. Around 6 ft tall. Blue-brown hair. Otherwise, appearance is human.
NlDUJTnLbuTOsRFEsdd9hT5sQRf_au5WOUWC8i0-MMt63cELVb-D6gtXqXxdk6MOaNVZvdyQEWjja6k4Lzxzdi26AjjJswI7WDGN1H8hIx_c8lKy59GCczhAm-mx0yZ07nQ8VsU4ObPoQQf6QsVPTX6GRFDiFgUdTU_mjaaqa85QDUbWyZzT7RU

Guild: TUBA

Personality: He is wary of others and analytical. Decently smart, very imaginative, analytical. Doesn’t understand people. Due to his oddness, he was unaffected by Calamity’s influence and remains like a normalish human. Avoids friendships and closes himself off due to a fear of bringing ruin on them - this hurts him, as he likes to be around people and listen to them, it makes him feel needed.

Concept: He is lonely, troubled, and fearful of himself. Also, sad and tired of the destruction he has caused and thinks he has caused. He is wary of others and analytical.

Motivation (Short & long term goal): Short term: Get motivator from Demaren. Figure out changes in his cognitive aspect(changed to wireframe) and soon physical one. Long term: purge remnants of Calamity’s influence from himself. Destroy the Entity that he unleashed by accident, causing the destruction of his timeline

Merits: Minor: Smart; Framesight - can see the world as if it is made of his wireframes, lets him know if a Forgery has taken place due to the decay factor, and the location of wireframe objects created by his powers. No other illusions are visible.
Normal: Skilled Swordmaster; Realized cloak(made real) - self repairing, blends into the surroundings, making him hard to notice when standing still and wearing it
Major: Epic - Realizer. Able to create blue energy wireframes of just about anything. These wireframes have innate power and mimic actual objects in such a way that they can be used as the object with more power(i.e. A sword is actually sharp, only impossibly so), but will fade after a few hours if he is not actively using them and/or concentrating on them. He can also will them to fade. Upper limit of ten medium sized wireframe objects manifest at one time. With a significant investment of energy, can make the objects real, not just wireframes, and they will not fade. When this is done, any connection to him is severed, so he no longer knows where it is. The creation of the objects and use of the wireframes drains his bodily energy, and excessive use will start to use his matter as the energy. This resulted in his cognitive aspect changing into a wireframe, closer to the spiritweb, and will start to morph his body into wireframe as well. The dissociation between his cognitive aspect and his physical brain has allowed for more of Calamity’s influence to come into him.

Flaws: Bound to truth due to history - incapable of speaking untruth, but can stay silent, cannot purposely mislead or imply untruth - this has made him wary of situations in which he would be questioned, and so he avoids them whenever possible.
He is prone to depression because he blames himself for the destruction of his family and people. Depression in reference to his past triggers his epic weakness, though his actual weakness is failing/believing he failed to protect people that he was responsible for. When the depression in reference to his past is triggered, it tends to temporarily incapacitate him, which makes it harder to fight the entity that he released.
Bad at social interactions, and often misunderstands the purposes of people’s choices, leading to bad situations that could have been fixed if he was brave enough to ask the right questions. Clumsy in non-combat situations. Rushes into things, especially when he believes people are in danger.

NPCs (Eg. Family and Friends): no family alive. No friends alive(NPC).

Home Planet: Reckoners-Earth

Current Residence: Mac’s Boarding House

Backstory: Gained epic powers upon entering the Reckoners timeline. Due to mistakes he made, a great evil was released upon his peoples’ timeline, and it was prevented from spreading by the undoing of possibility, erasing their timeline and all other people in it. He now seeks to prevent the same great evil from coming into the rest of the universes, but refuses to tell people what it is. Through some quark, he was ejected as his timeline collapsed, resulting in him being unaging and bound to truth and landing him in a coma in the Reckoners universe, unaffected by Calamity in the same way that Dawnslight was. After Calamity was defeated he woke up and was active for a few months against some epics like Nightweaver, and in that time he learned how to use his powers. Another quark sent him to the Alleyverse, specifically the headquarters of TUBA in Alleycity. He was cared for by the people there until he woke up, after which he was very confused, with a somewhat broken memory that has gradually been returning. He feels a sense of obligation towards TUBA for caring for him, which is why he helps them when he can. Though he does not like being around people, he has gotten used to it and interacts with them. Was trained in the sword in his home world. 

Loose ends: Amend for the destruction of his home world/universe/timeline. Possibly also destroy the entity that he accidentally unleashed, resulting in the destruction of his timeline.

Fighting Style: two weapon-two wireframe scimitars. Prefers defense until spots opening for offense, except when vastly outnumbered, when he uses the techniques of Itari, moving so fast the enemies end up hitting each other.

Looks good, he's all set for era 6. If/when we make a full list I'll add him to it.

34 minutes ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Thanks! I promise that I won't throw a huge number of camels where they make no sense. The camels originated as a forum joke. I can put the link up, if you want.

That’s your choice if you want! Community in-jokes are always lots of fun and I have plenty of my own, though I generally don’t include them in canon RP. But again, this is your business. I would only caution against accidentally writing yourself into a corner by making your character too lighthearted and then having a harder time transitioning them into a more serious arc if you want to later.  It’s definitely possible, of course, and I did something similar with one of my own characters. But this is a good place to explore more serious tone and intense topics so I always encourage people to leave room for that amidst the levity (as well as encouraging super serious times to do the inverse and leave room for fun!). 

4 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Good to hear. I think there was just some trepidation on our part because a forum in-joke that nobody else in the AV was a part of may not particularly land well and may seem more like 'haha, whacky chaotic randomness' which was a vibe we were somewhat trying to move away from recently. I don't think it would be an issue if played as a very minor part of the character or an occasional just kind of winking reference I suppose but yes we were very much hoping it would not be the sole identity of the character to just be 'That camel girl' or something like that.

46 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Good to hear. I think there was just some trepidation on our part because a forum in-joke that nobody else in the AV was a part of may not particularly land well and may seem more like 'haha, whacky chaotic randomness' which was a vibe we were somewhat trying to move away from recently. I don't think it would be an issue if played as a very minor part of the character or an occasional just kind of winking reference I suppose but yes we were very much hoping it would not be the sole identity of the character to just be 'That camel girl' or something like that.

Yeah, it was just a thing that I wanted my character to be able to do.

Also, where do I start? Should I wait until the end of the month, or is there a good place for me to join now?

Edited by NerdyAarakocra

25 minutes ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

Yeah, it was just a thing that I wanted my character to be able to do.

Also, where do I start? Should I wait until the end of the month, or is there a good place for me to join now?

Would be hard to start now, as introducing yourself just as the era is over can be tricky. Not impossible though. I would recommend that you wait til next month. If you want, you’re welcome to hop over to our Discord server where we are also planning next Era and where you are welcome to do more dialogue RP to find your character’s voice! 

21 hours ago, 18th Shard said:
Spoiler
  Hide contents
Name: Emily Azizi

Appearance: 35 year old British-Iranian woman. Short, slim build; skin color is a olive tan; dark straight hair about shoulder length. Brown eyes. Usually is wearing navy-colored scrubs and a thin necklace with a stylized S on it (see Reckoners, “Faithful”), with a clasp that will break away easily.

Personality: Compassionate, trusting, with a spontaneous side she usually doesn't indulge in. She is also very involved with her work, which takes much of her free time. She is one of the few nurses who doesn’t mind working in the Cognitive ward long term and is less unnerved by patient’s mental instabilities than others. Not easily intimidated.

Concept: Relatively unpowered nurse in a world of magic and gods.

Motivation: To help people (hence her choice to go I to nursing). [Era 6: Be a good mother to Jarah and adopted daughter Josie.]

Merits:

Minor: Epic ability to read vital signs via touch.

Normal: RN with experience in the Cognitive Ward.

Major: N/A

Flaws: Willing to bend rules; Epic weakness: eating green beans

Family and Friends: Friends with Xanas Khaeverin, the medical staff at Einladung Hospital; [Era 6: daughter Jarah and adopted daughter Josie]

Home Planet: Earth (Invocation)

Current Residence: Apartment in the Alleycity

Backstory: Was an honor student in high school. Following graduation, began college to get a nursing degree. After several years of college, Invocation appeared and she received her powers. Graduated as a RN. Came to the Alleyplanet for a change of scene after hearing about it from an acquaintance. Was hired as a nurse at Einladung Hospital in the Cognitive ward, where she has worked for about 7 years. She was married shortly after moving to the Alleycity, and had a daughter, Jarah (6) soon after. Her husband and daughter did not exist in the Forgery. [Era 6: Following the dissolution of the Forgery, Emily's daughter reappeared, but her husband (and many related memories of him) did not. Additionally, the mother of a girl in the Cognitive Ward, Josie (6), could not be located. After some time, Emily was able to adopt Josie.]

Loose Ends: [Era 6: Not all of her memories from before the Forgery and after assimilated perfectly, so there are things as a parent she has to re-learn. Additionally, her adopted daughter Josie and her natural daughter, Jarah, have jointly begun to form the beginnings of a Nahel bond with a cultivationspren.

Links: N/A

Wait, Invocation Epics have weaknesses?

Edited by mathiau

It really depends on how you write them. Mac has Voidmaking as a minor merit, yet for most people it would be a normal or major. 

I would probably put most of the copper stuff as minor and normal while being a Kandra is probably normal and the alleytravel is normal as well. If the alleytravel goes beyond normal you could bump it up to major, but if you really want them taking advantage of the Kandra bit and making that a focus of their character they could make that their major as well.

Hmm, alright. For the Alleymatics, I was mostly shooting for someone inexperienced. So someone who has started reaching beyond the basic alleytravel all DA use, but not to the point of what a master like Mac can do.

I guess actually defining what that level is would be difficult though.

Edit: I guess it might help to define a specific field of alleytravel they specialize in, to narrow things down?

Edited by kenod

Spoiler

Name: The last name he wrote down was Jakdew Bül, his given name was Rayan Sut.

Physical Characteristics: Half Terris half noble, but tall even for a noble with stark black hair and a Central Dominance look.

Investiture: He was born a zinc compounder and was given a F-copper spike a short time after the Catacendre.

Skills: Fairly good with a sword, but he hasn't practiced in a month or so. Of course it's all muscle memory so he couldn't do much except defend himself.

Equipment: Sword, an identityless coppermind and a lot of books and scraps of paper. He also has a large pack of zinc beads.

Weakness: When he was spiked with copper he started subconsciously storing in a copper plate that helped his back.

Family: He has a Terris mother, but his father died when he was ten. No brothers or sisters, but one uncle who wants nothing to do with him.

Home Planet: Scadrial.

Backstory: He was born about fifteen years after the Catacendre and was one of the first ferrings. He lived a fairly normal childhood until his father died. When his mother went to his uncle for help he rejected her and Rayan. Rayan made a pretty good living off of doing math and other such things in his head with the help of zinc. Eventually though he was kidnapped by a Final Empire extremist who had learned Hemalurgy. He was given an F-copper spike as an experiment. 

Guild (can be unaffiliated): Unaffiliated for now, although he has likely talked to and joined a few guilds only to promptly forget about it. 

Personality: Tends to hide his uncertainty and is quite good at acting he knows something he knows nothing about. Otherwise, he's pretty nice to most people, but can be fierce when insulted or threatened.

Appearance: Dark hair with brown eyes. Looks like he's from the Central Dominance, but has a Terris look although he is quite tall.

Theme Song (optional): The Illuminati music.

Fighting Style: Mostly uncertain, but he has trained with the sword enough to naturally protect himself.

How would Rayan's copper count, would it be a flaw, or something else?

And I assume his zinc compounding would be a major merit?

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Name: The last name he wrote down was Jakdew Bül, his given name was Rayan Sut.

Physical Characteristics: Half Terris half noble, but tall even for a noble with stark black hair and a Central Dominance look.

Investiture: He was born a zinc compounder and was given a F-copper spike a short time after the Catacendre.

Skills: Fairly good with a sword, but he hasn't practiced in a month or so. Of course it's all muscle memory so he couldn't do much except defend himself.

Equipment: Sword, an identityless coppermind and a lot of books and scraps of paper. He also has a large pack of zinc beads.

Weakness: When he was spiked with copper he started subconsciously storing in a copper plate that helped his back.

Family: He has a Terris mother, but his father died when he was ten. No brothers or sisters, but one uncle who wants nothing to do with him.

Home Planet: Scadrial.

Backstory: He was born about fifteen years after the Catacendre and was one of the first ferrings. He lived a fairly normal childhood until his father died. When his mother went to his uncle for help he rejected her and Rayan. Rayan made a pretty good living off of doing math and other such things in his head with the help of zinc. Eventually though he was kidnapped by a Final Empire extremist who had learned Hemalurgy. He was given an F-copper spike as an experiment. 

Guild (can be unaffiliated): Unaffiliated for now, although he has likely talked to and joined a few guilds only to promptly forget about it. 

Personality: Tends to hide his uncertainty and is quite good at acting he knows something he knows nothing about. Otherwise, he's pretty nice to most people, but can be fierce when insulted or threatened.

Appearance: Dark hair with brown eyes. Looks like he's from the Central Dominance, but has a Terris look although he is quite tall.

Theme Song (optional): The Illuminati music.

Fighting Style: Mostly uncertain, but he has trained with the sword enough to naturally protect himself.

How would Rayan's copper count, would it be a flaw, or something else?

And I assume his zinc compounding would be a major merit?

Hello! The new character sheet format will help us gauge a bit more about your character (also it’s now required :P). The template is in the Era 6 Characters OP. I like the idea of this character! Excited to see them in the new sheet format. You are still encouraged to ask questions about them in this thread so this is a great place to be!

9 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Hello! The new character sheet format will help us gauge a bit more about your character (also it’s now required :P). The template is in the Era 6 Characters OP. I like the idea of this character! Excited to see them in the new sheet format. You are still encouraged to ask questions about them in this thread so this is a great place to be!

I am aware, I wanted to know where his abilities applied for merits and such, as his copper is pretty wonky.

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

I am aware, I wanted to know where his abilities applied for merits and such, as his copper is pretty wonky.

No problem! Just wanted to make you aware to avoid any confusion down the road :) 

9 minutes ago, Grey Knight said:

Two questions:

1. Where can I find the new character building guidelines?

2. I'm going to use some elements of Warhammer 40k lore to create my character. This isn't actually a question, I'm just claiming seniority rights to excuse my eccentricities :P.

You can find the new guidelines in the new Era 6 Character thread. We have decided to start grouping character approval by era to avoid giant threads that are hard to edit and reference both for mods and players.

Spoiler

Name: Rik Poot, Primaris Psyker 3rd rate

Appearance: Just an ugly little rat of a man. Short, with a long nose and bald head. Has a thick black beard that he obsessively braids and cares for. Young, despite his looks.

Guild (or intended guild): None. Potentially Ghostbloods.

Personality: Rik Poot is insane. Not clinically insane with depression or OCD or any other categorized mental illness, no no no. Rik Poot is afflicted with magical insanity that obeys no known laws of health. This has led to him having surprisingly developed mental resiliency, coping mechanisms, and social skills. He simply chooses not to use them. His own insanity is unpredictable and waxes and wanes with how much power he channels as a wizard. It may mainifest as voices in his head or imaginary monsters that lurk in the shadows.

Motivation (Short & long term goal): Rik Poot is not native to the Alleyverse. Given the choice, he would rather be anywhere else in the universe. Unfortunately, he has found himself bound to the second-rate Inquisitor Telestos, a preening woman overly fond of mind trickery. Multiple kill-switches have been embedded in his body after a series of invasive surgeries performed by the Inquisitor. His short-term goal, then, is the Inquisitor's mission of finding out what happened to the previous Black Crusade faction here. Doing so will let him survive for a little while longer. His long-term goal is to escape the Inquisitor's grasp and finally find freedom.

Merits: Poot is a psyker (a psychic wizard in layman's terms). He has the rare gift of a multi-discipline training in the psychic arts, and thus has multiple merits within this skillset. Unfortunately, he's terrible at most of them. He's capable of only the most rudimentary telepathy and pyromancy, and can barely manage organic augemtation (all minor merits). Where he truly shines is in his telekinetic abilities (Major merit). He can crush enemies' heads at a distance, create blasts of concussive force, and deftly manipulate minute objects. A lifetime of combat has also given him proficiency in swordsmanship, and his rough upbringing have given him an unusually tough constitution (normal merits).

Flaws: Over-use of Poot's powers will straight-up explode his head. As such, he needs time between powerful attacks to rest and decrease his Perils level. He can do 3 powerful psychic attacks before needing about 30 seconds to recharge. Rik is also stubbornly fickle and distrustful of authority to the point of active detriment to his mission.

NPCs (Eg. Family and Friends): Other members of the small Inquisitorial warband, along with the hated Inquisitor.

Home Planet: Armageddon, where he grew up in the poorest sections of the city.

Loose ends: The kill-switch in his brain, and the missing members of the Black Crusade

My first character in something like 2, 3 years. This was an excellent nostalgia trip to go on, and I'm excited to launch my little rat madman into the chaos of this Era.

Hey grey knight, the mods have been talking and given that none of the moderating team has any particular exposure to 40k we don't believe we could effectively moderate such characters or easily make sure they were accounted for in any plot discussions. Furthermore, adding lore to the AV should not be done by saying that you were here first and thus it is so. We all gotta play nice with everyone and seniority doesn't give you any extra authority. Given that this would be the third time W40K stuff has been introduced, and that its never really seen any larger adoption by the AV as a whole, we are, unfortunately gonna put our foot down and say that we aren't going to have it in the AV going forward. We are really trying to make an effort toward being more collaborative and group focused (see the announcement thread for that stuff), so we really want to emphasize collaboration and group RP with any new additions. Sorry to disapoint.

11 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Hey grey knight, the mods have been talking and given that none of the moderating team has any particular exposure to 40k we don't believe we could effectively moderate such characters or easily make sure they were accounted for in any plot discussions. Furthermore, adding lore to the AV should not be done by saying that you were here first and thus it is so. We all gotta play nice with everyone and seniority doesn't give you any extra authority. Given that this would be the third time W40K stuff has been introduced, and that its never really seen any larger adoption by the AV as a whole, we are, unfortunately gonna put our foot down and say that we aren't going to have it in the AV going forward. We are really trying to make an effort toward being more collaborative and group focused (see the announcement thread for that stuff), so we really want to emphasize collaboration and group RP with any new additions. Sorry to disapoint.

I was thinking this myself, reading Grey Knight's stuff often confuses me quite a bit, and I've been reading it for four years. I don't know if anyone except him and Ark knows much of anything about it. Glad we're making a few more restrictions.

12 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

Hey grey knight, the mods have been talking and given that none of the moderating team has any particular exposure to 40k we don't believe we could effectively moderate such characters or easily make sure they were accounted for in any plot discussions.

:(

Fair enough, I'll change the character. Fortunately, I did some sleep-deprived thinking and realized that I can change Mr. Poot into an Epic with basically no significant re-writes needed. In fact, it actually works a bit better this way.

13 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

I was thinking this myself, reading Grey Knight's stuff often confuses me quite a bit, and I've been reading it for four years.

This made me chuckle a little bit, not going to lie.

Anyway, here's the new character!

Spoiler

Name: Rik Poot, Wizard 3rd rate

Appearance: Just an ugly little rat of a man. Short, with a long nose and bald head. Has a thick black beard that he obsessively braids and cares for. Young, despite his looks.

Guild (or intended guild): None. Potentially Ghostbloods.

Personality: Rik Poot has surprisingly developed mental resiliency, coping mechanisms, and social skills for an Epic. He simply chooses not to use them. He is erratic and eccentric, and annoyingly stubborn. For better or worse, he will not deviate from a path he has chosen.

Motivation (Short & long term goal): Rik Poot is not native to the Alleyverse. Given the choice, he would rather be anywhere else in the universe. Unfortunately, he has found himself bound to the second-rate Epic known as Balrog, an eldritch horror hell-bent on expanding his personal power. Multiple kill-switches have been embedded in his body after a series of invasive surgeries performed by Balrog. His short-term goal, then, is his captor's mission of joining the Ghostbloods. Doing so will let him survive for a little while longer. His long-term goal is to escape his captor's grasp and finally find freedom.

Merits: Poot's Epic powers grant him what looks like actual wizardry.  Unfortunately, he's terrible at most of these powers. He's capable of only the most rudimentary telepathy and pyromancy, and can barely manage organic manipulation (all minor merits). Where he truly shines is in his telekinetic abilities (Major merit). He can crush enemies' heads at a distance, create blasts of concussive force, and deftly manipulate minute objects. A lifetime of combat has also given him proficiency in swordsmanship, and his rough upbringing have given him an unusually tough constitution (normal merits).

Flaws: Over-use of Poot's powers will straight-up explode his head. As such, he needs time between powerful attacks to rest and decrease his Perils level. He can do 3 powerful attacks before needing about 30 seconds to recharge. His Epic weakness is a nasty one, too-- he's terrified of anything demonic or eldritch horror-y. Even being around such things will shut down his powers. Rik is also stubbornly fickle and distrustful of authority to the point of active detriment to his mission.

NPCs (Eg. Family and Friends): Other members of the small warband of traveling Epics, along with the hated leader.

Backstory: As earlier stated, Rik would rather be anywhere else in the universe. Unfortunately, he fell into the grasp of an extremely powerful Epic that hard-countered all of Rik's abilities. This Balrog then decided to travel the multiverse with its warband of lesser Epics (all forced into servitude or insane enough to willingly serve a demon). The band has ended up in the Alleyverse, and Balrog has decided to make itself a local powerhouse by joining the Ghostbloods.

Home Planet: Earth, somewhere in Holland

Loose ends: The kill-switch in his brain, and his current state of captivity