Just now, Kobold King said:

It's unlikely, but all too possible. The only way to be certain would be to wear it in a museum of natural history and see if it causes any anomalous behavior from the dinosaur skeletons. Be warned! Although the essence of Lightwards may be channeled through the hat, there's no guarantee you would be able to control any manifestations of his power.

If you begin to feel any unusual tendencies towards megalomania, ensure that you have the following staff on hand to counteract them:

• One (1) engineering student in a paint-splattered prom dress.
  • One (1) ginger Doctor Who fan in a coat.
  • One (1) teenage girl in goth apparel.
  • One (1) hippie--the better the name, the better.
  • One (1) man who can ride a unicycle while wearing a Darth Vader mask and playing flaming bagpipes.
  • One (1) surly hunter who has killed at least one notorious criminal in his life. This is the most important ingredient and will determine success or failure in combating your symptoms.

By keeping these individuals around you at all times your megalomania will be channeled into futile rage until relevant authorities (most likely the Reckoners) can come to deal with your situation.

Paint-splattered engineering student? Check.

Ginger Doctor Who fan? Check.

Teenage girl in goth? Check.

Hippie with a good name? Check.

Darth Vader unicycle...? Uh. I'll ask my teachers.

Surly hunter? Probably.

1 minute ago, Weirdpersonx said:

Paint-splattered engineering student? Check.

Ginger Doctor Who fan? Check.

Teenage girl in goth? Check.

Hippie with a good name? Check.

Darth Vader unicycle...? Uh. I'll ask my teachers.

Surly hunter? Probably.

...huh. That was fast. Usually takes at least a week to round those up. :P

Just now, Kobold King said:

You may actually go to school at the What Happened in Portland high school AU. :huh::P

If Jade Delancey is a student and Thomas Cardinal is a professor, you can bet she's always stirring up trouble in his class by asking questions that are juuuuuuust on-topic enough to demand an answer, but random enough that he knows she's stalling and hates her for it. If he's a student like her, she's probably asked him out just to irritate him. :P 

Sam and Nathan go to prom together. She starts to get worried when she hears rumors he's going to wear cosplay instead of a tux, but he winds up being the best-dressed guy on the dance floor. Not that he spends much time dancing. He mostly just air-guitars to the faster songs and gets some seriously baffled looks from the DJ when he asks them to play "I Can't Decide" by Scissor Sisters because the Master sang it in an episode once. 

Neverthere attends school remotely via one of those virtual presence devices and spends all class texting other students and collecting gossip.

[REDACTED SCENE WHERE I CONSIDERED ADDING NIGHTHOUND BECAUSE LET'S BE HONEST, HE'D NEVER BE ALLOWED NEAR A SCHOOL NO MATTER WHAT AGE HE WAS]

3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

If Jade Delancey is a student and Thomas Cardinal is a professor, you can bet she's always stirring up trouble in his class by asking questions that are juuuuuuust on-topic enough to demand an answer, but random enough that he knows she's stalling and hates her for it. If he's a student like her, she's probably asked him out just to irritate him. :P 

Sam and Nathan go to prom together. She starts to get worried when she hears rumors he's going to wear cosplay instead of a tux, but he winds up being the best-dressed guy on the dance floor. Not that he spends much time dancing. He mostly just air-guitars to the faster songs and gets some seriously baffled looks from the DJ when he asks them to play "I Can't Decide" by Scissor Sisters because the Master sang it in an episode once. 

Nathan: frantic air-guitaring

Revolution: dancing smoothly on the other end of the floor with one of the nerds from Milton's clique

Sam: "Why couldn't God make me gay?"

Spoiler

Of course she likes him. But her snark is a multiversal fixed point in time.

47 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

It's unlikely, but all too possible. The only way to be certain would be to wear it in a museum of natural history and see if it causes any anomalous behavior from the dinosaur skeletons. Be warned! Although the essence of Lightwards may be channeled through the hat, there's no guarantee you would be able to control any manifestations of his power.

If you begin to feel any unusual tendencies towards megalomania, ensure that you have the following staff on hand to counteract them:

• One (1) engineering student in a paint-splattered prom dress.
  • One (1) ginger Doctor Who fan in a coat.
  • One (1) teenage girl in goth apparel.
  • One (1) hippie--the better the name, the better.
  • One (1) man who can ride a unicycle while wearing a Darth Vader mask and playing flaming bagpipes.
  • One (1) surly hunter who has killed at least one notorious criminal in his life. This is the most important ingredient and will determine success or failure in combating your symptoms.

By keeping these individuals around you at all times your megalomania will be channeled into futile rage until relevant authorities (most likely the Reckoners) can come to deal with your situation.

Looks from side to side :ph34r:

Um, if you want to channel your inner Lightwards, follow these easy tips:

• Shoot yourself in the head exactly twice. This will give you just the right dose of megalomania and power without degrading your mental state significantly.
  • Buy a pocket jungle from Pocket BiomesTM. This will... do something?

Additionally, try to make sure you have at least 3 out of the following 4 staff members on hand to ensure your dominance over the city you are attempting to control

• One sadistic creepy murderer
  • One unfortunate 'harem'
    • This harem must contain one sadistic creepy harem member with a blood fetish. She is listed separately for various reasons, but she is absolutely critical.
  • One stage magician

Enjoy! I live far away from Portland, so I have few qualms about posting this guide :D

1 minute ago, breakingamber said:
Spoiler

Looks from side to side :ph34r:

Um, if you want to channel your inner Lightwards, follow these easy tips:

• Shoot yourself in the head exactly twice. This will give you just the right dose of megalomania and power without degrading your mental state significantly.
  • Buy a pocket jungle from Pocket BiomesTM. This will... do something?

Additionally, try to make sure you have at least 3 out of the following 4 staff members on hand to ensure your dominance over the city you are attempting to control

• One sadistic creepy murderer
  • One unfortunate 'harem'
    • This harem must contain one sadistic creepy harem member with a blood fetish. She is listed separately for various reasons, but she is absolutely critical.
  • One stage magician

Enjoy! I live far away from Portland, so I have few qualms about posting this guide :D

Remington Springfield wants to know your location.

2 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

Remington Springfield wants to know your location will soon know your location.* 

*Fixed. 

1 minute ago, breakingamber said:

breakingamber gets his longsword and longbow out of storage

Ah, who am I kidding.

breakingamber hides in a corner and waits for the end

That is…not an unreasonable reaction. 

6 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

*Fixed. 

That is…not an unreasonable reaction. 

Not unreasonable? IT IS THE ONLY REASONABLE REACTION.

One second, my dad is getting the door, I need to pray for both my and my sister's life. -_-

UPDATE: Never mind, he didn't even read the guide; he just forgot his car keys. :mellow:

Edited by breakingamber

This is a call-out post for @TwiLyghtSansSparkles, who claims, boldly, that Alastair's Epic weakness would be having his hands tied in a way reminiscent of Fortuity.

I will not allow her to hide behind these lies any longer. This post dated to August 14, 2015 makes it explicitly clear what haunted the nightmares of Nathan Sperry, and no, it was not, in fact, Fortuity. The dreams of Nathan Sperry were haunted by much worse. TwiLyght's claims are an attempt at diverting us from the truth that has been staring at us through sewn-on googly eyes for going on four years now.

If you actually wanted to negate Alastair's abilities, you would have to create your own sock puppet, wear said sock puppet, and attempt to put a macaroni crown on his head. He would be powerless to prevent you from doing this, shrieking in fear as he would be, and what's more, his cleverest enemies know this. Do you think Darkrose could ever figure this out? Ha! Or that any tired old Epic dictator would think of it? No, never. Such thinking outside the box is beyond their kind.

But as we speak the shattered remnant of Thomas Cardinal, the Emperor of Light, is babbling away in his abandoned museum with all the knowledge he needs to gain his revenge. Though his rants are barely even in English anymore, the fact remains that he is dutifully crafting a sock puppet and macaroni crown, and he and HE ALONE will thus have what it takes to challenge Alastair to the rematch that will spell his end! The Empire of Light will rise again! It will-

...oh... nevermind. Lightwards just ate the macaroni. And he seems to think the sock puppet is the High Epic Snowfall come to extract a tribute of marshmallows and spam. Not separately, either. He thinks he has to fry the marshmallows with the spam. Oh dear.

Well, I was wrong about Lightwards', er, 'stratagem,' but I am not wrong about Alastair's weakness! Nice try, Twi, but the truth is out there!

9 hours ago, Kobold King said:

Nathan: frantic air-guitaring

Revolution: dancing smoothly on the other end of the floor with one of the nerds from Milton's clique

Sam: "Why couldn't God make me gay?"

Hide contents

Of course she likes him. But her snark is a multiversal fixed point in time.

Excuse me, Sam is and will always be bisexual for Revolution?

Actually, most of these characters probably are. Seems like the best way to maximize shipping.

EDIT: I just realized there's absolutely no reason for Red to wear clothes. She probably likes being freezing, and she can probably heat herself up artificially. If anything, she might just wear something that's more revealing than a swim suit made of blood.

:/

Edited by winter devotion

6 hours ago, Kobold King said:

This is a call-out post for

@TwiLyghtSansSparkles, who claims, boldly, that Alastair's Epic weakness would be having his hands tied in a way reminiscent of Fortuity.

I will not allow her to hide behind these lies any longer. This post dated to August 14, 2015 makes it explicitly clear what haunted the nightmares of Nathan Sperry, and no, it was not, in fact, Fortuity. The dreams of Nathan Sperry were haunted by much worse. TwiLyght's claims are an attempt at diverting us from the truth that has been staring at us through sewn-on googly eyes for going on four years now.

If you actually wanted to negate Alastair's abilities, you would have to create your own sock puppet, wear said sock puppet, and attempt to put a macaroni crown on his head. He would be powerless to prevent you from doing this, shrieking in fear as he would be, and what's more, his cleverest enemies know this. Do you think Darkrose could ever figure this out? Ha! Or that any tired old Epic dictator would think of it? No, never. Such thinking outside the box is beyond their kind.

But as we speak the shattered remnant of Thomas Cardinal, the Emperor of Light, is babbling away in his abandoned museum with all the knowledge he needs to gain his revenge. Though his rants are barely even in English anymore, the fact remains that he is dutifully crafting a sock puppet and macaroni crown, and he and HE ALONE will thus have what it takes to challenge Alastair to the rematch that will spell his end! The Empire of Light will rise again! It will-

...oh... nevermind. Lightwards just ate the macaroni. And he seems to think the sock puppet is the High Epic Snowfall come to extract a tribute of marshmallows and spam. Not separately, either. He thinks he has to fry the marshmallows with the spam. Oh dear.

Well, I was wrong about Lightwards', er, 'stratagem,' but I am not wrong about Alastair's weakness! Nice try, Twi, but the truth is out there!

Ah, now see, @Kobold King brings to light an interesting question: What should this character fear? 

When it came to making Nathan into an Epic—or introducing an alternate universe scenario where this Happens—the first and biggest obstacle was his powers. I had no idea where to Even begin with that; his lack of powers is So central to his character that I at first unable to think of a Way to get him from "downtrodden servant to abusive Epics" to "vengeful demigod of Incredible power." Kobold provided the key to That with the suggestion He gain precognition powers, but that itself presented a problem: what Might his weakness be? 

Designing his weakness was a complicated process, made Especially more complex by his history. Here is a character who has Spent so long as not so much an underdog as a man Enslaved (save for the fact he gets paid, but not Nearly enough to justify the treatment he suffers), and all of a sudden, he is raised to the level of Demigod. Which, of course, comes with the stipulation that with great Power comes great insanity. And that, ironically, was where I found the source of his weakness. 

You see, Up to that point, Nathan had been more or less completely Powerless. Being beaten down (literally and figuratively) for little to no reason would Push anyone to want revenge, but how does one get revenge on someone with near-godlike power? This is Especially complicated by the fact that Nathan needed to keep his job simply To survive. 

That turned out to be the ideal Source of a weakness. To take that moment, the moment where he was as powerless as can be, and turn it into the one thing that brings him back down to the same level as ordinary humans—that became the key to not only Alastair's weakness, but his entire characterization. It was not an easy exercise, but it was an incredibly rewarding one. 

Spoiler

Oh, and if you're wondering about the formatting, don't read too much into it. It's just a stylistic choice. Again, I'm just seeing what can be done with the medium, maximizing the impact of words and letters. 

16 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Ah, now see, @Kobold King brings to light an interesting question: What should this character fear? 

When it came to making Nathan into an Epic—or introducing an alternate universe scenario where this Happens—the first and biggest obstacle was his powers. I had no idea where to Even begin with that; his lack of powers is So central to his character that I at first unable to think of a Way to get him from "downtrodden servant to abusive Epics" to "vengeful demigod of Incredible power." Kobold provided the key to That with the suggestion He gain precognition powers, but that itself presented a problem: what Might his weakness be? 

Designing his weakness was a complicated process, made Especially more complex by his history. Here is a character who has Spent so long as not so much an underdog as a man Enslaved (save for the fact he gets paid, but not Nearly enough to justify the treatment he suffers), and all of a sudden, he is raised to the level of Demigod. Which, of course, comes with the stipulation that with great Power comes great insanity. And that, ironically, was where I found the source of his weakness. 

You see, Up to that point, Nathan had been more or less completely Powerless. Being beaten down (literally and figuratively) for little to no reason would Push anyone to want revenge, but how does one get revenge on someone with near-godlike power? This is Especially complicated by the fact that Nathan needed to keep his job simply To survive. 

That turned out to be the ideal Source of a weakness. To take that moment, the moment where he was as powerless as can be, and turn it into the one thing that brings him back down to the same level as ordinary humans—that became the key to not only Alastair's weakness, but his entire characterization. It was not an easy exercise, but it was an incredibly rewarding one. 

Reveal hidden contents

Oh, and if you're wondering about the formatting, don't read too much into it. It's just a stylistic choice. Again, I'm just seeing what can be done with the medium, maximizing the impact of words and letters. 

A fascinating analysis. I now see that my interpretation of his character was fundamentally flawed, failing to recognize the underlying source of his characterization. This is a humbling experience for me and I hope you come to understand where my flawed perspective was coming from.

I do have one more minor, possibly spoiler-y question about Alastair if you wouldn't mind answering? If his weakness is being tied up like Fortuity had done to him, which I see now is the only possible thing it could be, I have to wonder...

Spoiler

6b62d4300165f3ba909e0e0a075f17f7--sock-puppets-hand-puppets.jpg.70c13d8ef13ca9135dd5e32a68f50561.jpg

PSYCH

IT'S PUPPET TIME

ACT QUICKLY, TWI

32 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Reveal hidden contents

Nice. 

6 minutes ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

The ERA guard?

That whole scene is being written out via PM.

EDIT: Just figured out you meant the main scene.  Nvm.

5 minutes ago, kenod said:

That's what they meant I think, given that a new guard reply had appeared there this morning.

Hahaha, yeah. It actually appeared there last night, technically, but y'know. Details.