The Identity of the Man Kaladin Killed

Cheese Ninja

175 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion of the theory.

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • Withholding Judgement, needs more details (regrettably unavailable)

Guest Jacob Santos

Someone must have been getting too close to the truth and Peter threw a red herring through a window.

Quick, look the other way.

Edited by Jacob Santos

Peter has long taunted us with pieces of information that he knows. It's the Ookla way! He often confirms little things for us (like Hoid being the Terris guy in HoA, he flat out gave us the missing Lerasium bead, Honor being a shard, etc.) But before he was Brandon's assistant, he would read the books (often before hand), and would guess along with us about various things about Realmatic stuff.

But lots of times, his puts little hints like this to push discussions further, to the next level, to make us notice something, or be more satisfied when the answer finally does come.

Restares could be Taravangian. If Amaram was communicating by spanreed, his physical location wouldn't matter. From Amaram's brief comment, Restares seems willing to sacrifice innocents for the sake of the perceived "greater good". Which coincides with Taravangian's views.

Edit: Also, I find it odd to see Peter posting in a speculation thread. I imagined that he read them, but tried to only post in mechanics threads. If he let himself post in speculation threads, he might inadvertently give things away...

I doubt that Restares is Taravangian, considering Galivar lists both of those as possible murderers seperately. Plus, Amaram clearly knows Taravangian is a ghostblood, but seems to be on friendly terms with Restares

I doubt that Restares is Taravangian, considering Galivar lists both of those as possible murderers seperately. Plus, Amaram clearly knows Taravangian is a ghostblood, but seems to be on friendly terms with Restares

Those would be good points, if either were correct. But they aren't. Gavilar guessed: Thaidakar, Restares, and Sadeas. Amaram never once mentions Taravangian. What happened is that you combined the names 'Thaidakar' and 'Taravangian' together in your head at some point, because they were both unfamiliar to you and both began with T.

I think Restares is a codename. Besides Taravangian, he could be some Alethi lord we've heard of briefly but were not given a chance to attach much importance to, or a Herald, or a yet-to-be introduced character. I've got no clue about Thaidakar.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive my odd intrusion of your theory but, despite the fact that I can offer very little reason on the matter, I am hellbent on the odd thought that Thaidakar is more important than is given out in all of this area of theorizing around the conflict between Amaram and the Ghostbloods.

I'm sure the fact that both Gavilar lists him pre-death, (perhaps simply because he is a petty Highprince and nothing more) along with these other important figures, for example Sadeas and this new 'Restares', who is clearly involved behind-the-scenes with Amaram's decision to claim the Shards and enslave Kaladin, as well as (I believe this has been quoted, correct me otherwise please) Amaram's direct notation of him in the exact same scene as Restares is mentioned, while Amaram is Sadeas' marshal, may be a new sort of grouping technique Brandon has used to subtly hint at Thaidakar's importance.

Also, another out of the box theory (maybe this has already been suggested, if so, I'm looking extremely stupid by this point, and so might as well bull on), I am going to suggest Thaidakar is a Ghostblood, or maybe this is too much of a leap and he is simply another political opponent for Sadeas and thus Amaram. However, I just thought this a valid point.

Does Thaidakar appear anywhere else in the story that I have forgotten? Please tell me.

He's in some form of contact with Amaram, and talked him into killing Kaladin's squad. There was a Stormwarden in the room at the time, it's not unreasonable to assume he was Restares. But no confirmation.

It would also make sense for him to be a Stormwarden who communicated via spanreed with Amaram, given that they apparently use glyphs as a primitive pictographic alphabet. That would resolve the primary issue with using them for conspiracies, namely needing to have trustworthy women on either end reading the messages out loud.

I really liked this theory until I started a reread of the book... Shallan's statement about her brother dying over a year ago is at the very beginning of the book. We're told the main events of the book beginning with Kaladin's slave chapter occur 8 months after Cenn's perspective on the day Kaladin kills the shardbearer. Unless the character's perspectives are out of sync (which they could be, but I doubt it's > 4 months), Kaladin killed the shardbearer a fair bit later than Shallan's brother disappeared/died. Given how good this book is about telling us how much time has passed in the timeskips/flashbacks, I doubt that Shallan's chapters begin more than 4 months after Kaladin's without us being told. It seems like the same amount of time passes throughout their points of view also.

So as far as I'm concerned this theory is impossible, which is sad because it seemed like the best guess at the Shardbearers identity and now he's just some random guy.

I really liked this theory until I started a reread of the book... Shallan's statement about her brother dying over a year ago is at the very beginning of the book. We're told the main events of the book beginning with Kaladin's slave chapter occur 8 months after Cenn's perspective on the day Kaladin kills the shardbearer. Unless the character's perspectives are out of sync (which they could be, but I doubt it's > 4 months), Kaladin killed the shardbearer a fair bit later than Shallan's brother disappeared/died. Given how good this book is about telling us how much time has passed in the timeskips/flashbacks, I doubt that Shallan's chapters begin more than 4 months after Kaladin's without us being told. It seems like the same amount of time passes throughout their points of view also.

So as far as I'm concerned this theory is impossible, which is sad because it seemed like the best guess at the Shardbearers identity and now he's just some random guy.

I don't have the book with me, but didn't she simply state that her brother had disappeared, presumed dead, over a year ago? That allows some time to train with the Plate and Blade and become trusted by the Ghostbloods before biting the dust.

I quoted that in the first post, it was the 2nd quote.

Helaran—her eldest brother—had known more, but he had vanished over a year ago, and her father had proclaimed him dead.

My reply: This quote is unclear whether Helaran's disappearance and proclamation of death happened at the same time, or separate occasions. I'm assuming separate occasions, which seems safe enough.

So he'd spent some time among the Ghostbloods after leaving the family, and upon his death, the information was relayed to the father, who relayed it to the rest of the family, while leaving out the conditions of Helaran's death which may or may not have been know to their father.

Maybe I should edit the first post to emphasize this?

Edited by Cheese Ninja

If the disappearance and reported death were separate occasions, it seems like that would have been indicated ie. 'Helaran—her eldest brother—had known more, but he had vanished over a year ago, and her father had [later] proclaimed him dead.'

I suppose it's possible they happened 6 months or so apart, but it doesn't sound like it to me.

True, it's not perfect, and it's easy to interpret that line other than how I decided to.

But also, 8 months is closer to a year in Roshar terms than it is in Earth terms, they only have 10 months. So, if he disappeared two months before the battle with Kaladin, and then word came to the Davar family within the month of his death, it would all be much closer together than what you're considering.

Honestly, the biggest thing going for this theory is that it ties the characters together in an unexpected way. There's so little to go off of, but what there is links up decently well. I think you've pointed out the single biggest thing that counts against it in the text, the ambiguity of that particular line.

Another possibility is that the father considered him dead to the family even before his actual death, which Kurkistan touched on, but that runs a bit counter towards all the rest of the evidence, that he was being groomed to take his father's place.

Edited by Cheese Ninja

• 8 months later...

Another possibility is that the father considered him dead to the family even before his actual death, which Kurkistan touched on, but that runs a bit counter towards all the rest of the evidence, that he was being groomed to take his father's place.

It's also possible their father believed him dead, or lied to obscure the fact that he was so deeply involved with the ghostbloods that the family wouldn't be seeing him again. If the ghostbloods are as powerful as has been hinted, it's not unreasonable to think they may be able to demand such sacrifices of Shallan's father (do we have a name for him, btw?)

It's also possible their father believed him dead, or lied to obscure the fact that he was so deeply involved with the ghostbloods that the family wouldn't be seeing him again. If the ghostbloods are as powerful as has been hinted, it's not unreasonable to think they may be able to demand such sacrifices of Shallan's father

Point. It's quite likely that they would have pressed him into service with them, never allowed back to his family due to his owning shards and vauable information. It would have been cleaner and safer all around ot proclaim him dead and quietly slip him away. The fact he actually did die is secondary.

• 2 weeks later...

How did Shallans brother get a set of Shards in the first place?

I assume that some of the secret societies on Roshar have a few of the hundreds of missing/hidden Shardblades/Plate: Ghostbloods among them. In Dalinar's vision of the Recreance there were hundreds from just two Orders of Knights Radiant. I think currently only around 80 Blades are known to the modern day individuals, I can't find the exact quote.