The Last Post Wins!!!!!

15 hours ago, Honorless said:

If I got what you're trying to say with the "most Rosharans..." comment right, yeah, that is true. Elhokar is a product of his society. Yes, he has a more general disregard for darkeyes rather than any particular gangsta-style racism, still that kind of behavior doesn't look good on a person, much less a ruler. "Besides, it was the law"??? the hell...? I'm not touching that sentence. Yes, it was the wrong time to choose for Kaladin but he definitely didn't deserve even the jail time for that! Specially considering the things Amaram did.

I didn't count how often (or otherwise) he was drunk. He didn't have many appearances though, and those seemed pretty defining moments for his character. Elhokar was always a centre of the party but not the politics, he didn't partake in any decision-making, a point acknowledged by Dalinar & Navani. Being a King overshadows being a budding architect though, and he seemed quite dismal at that role.

Killing, in general, is wrong. It making sense from Moash's context should be the point of argument here.

Yes, Elhokar for all his failings did try to make things right at the end, possibly even at the start but with much less inspiration. It was far to soon for me to warm up towards that character, however.

The thing is, while that’s type of thing would look bad in our society(ies, I don’t know where you’re from), it’s perfectly natural for the Alethi to disregard darkeyes. Am I saying that the caste system is good? No. But you can’t condemn someone for following it when it’s their whole way of life. No governmental or societial structure is perfect. 

Please don’t curse. The Shard is meant to be a family-friendly site. ^_^ Anyway, why did that sentence specifically pique you? 

I never said he did deserve jail time. I’m saying he didn’t make the right decision in a moment of anger, and the same is true for Elhokar (and frankly, everyone else in existence). If you hate Elhokar for his bad choices, it stands to reason that you should also hate Kaladin for his. 

Elhokar had many more appearances than the two when he was drunk. He also did plenty of political decision-making; not always the right decisions, but he made them. 

Budding architect? I don’t remember him ever having anything to do with architecture. Could you remind me of where in the books it was said that he had an interest in it? 

Not sure what you’re trying to say here. Yes, killing in general is wrong. I haven’t disputed that. 

16 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Here you go world.

(forgive me for my lack of artistic talent, oh, and for the handwriting, I was having a looong day.)

Cosmere.jpeg

I don’t have any upvotes right now, so wait twenty four hours and I’ll give one to you!!

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

22 minutes ago, FatherTiempo said:

It's just down the street from Lift's Pancakes. 'Where you can get ten'

I was actually thinking of adding that, but it was a half sheet of paper, so I couldn't fit it. Oh, and also, Happy Birthday @The Last Post

Edited by Aragorn

6 hours ago, AonEne said:

The thing is, while that’s type of thing would look bad in our society(ies, I don’t know where you’re from), it’s perfectly natural for the Alethi to disregard darkeyes. Am I saying that the caste system is good? No. But you can’t condemn someone for following it when it’s their whole way of life. No governmental or societial structure is perfect. 

Please don’t curse. The Shard is meant to be a family-friendly site. ^_^ Anyway, why did that sentence specifically pique you? 

I never said he did deserve jail time. I’m saying he didn’t make the right decision in a moment of anger, and the same is true for Elhokar (and frankly, everyone else in existence). If you hate Elhokar for his bad choices, it stands to reason that you should also hate Kaladin for his. 

Elhokar had many more appearances than the two when he was drunk. He also did plenty of political decision-making; not always the right decisions, but he made them. 

Budding architect? I don’t remember him ever having anything to do with architecture. Could you remind me of where in the books it was said that he had an interest in it? 

Not sure what you’re trying to say here. Yes, killing in general is wrong. I haven’t disputed that. 

Given the enormity of what was done to him, and the fact that he was sentenced to death by Elhokar simply for doing something that insulted his position (how dare that darkeyes!) without even any consideration at all for an actual legal process because their law grants that kind of power to the king and lighteyes nobility. It being legal was kind of THE problem here. The law is at fault here. Don't go and join Nale here!

Yes, Kaladin got mad & passionate, made a public claim against a lighteyes, Elhokar got mad, sentenced him to death. I totally should be equally mad at both of them here. -_-

So you're saying more evidence for his ineptness? Gr8! 

Shallan noted his drawings & plans of Kholinar were really well done. Navani notes that he has a knack for planning the arrangement of a party area.

I am saying that Elhokar's assassination by Moash did make sense from Moash's PoV and didn't make me lose any sympathy towards his character.

Just now, Lunamor said:

Yeah, I just don’t like copyright :P

It’s not the best, ever since Disney bought some laws for intellectual property extensions. Things went a little downhill there, but it’s original purpose is honorable. But bureaucracy has changed it. Copyright is a tool, and tools aren’t  bad, people are. And people twisted it’s original purpose into the monster we have today. If you didn’t want to discuss this...I’m sorry? But this is something I’m a little knowledgeable about. And I wanted to share.

TL;DR: Copyright isn’t really bad. Also, Butt has some opinions.

2 minutes ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

It’s not the best, ever since Disney bought some laws for intellectual property extensions. Things went a little downhill there, but it’s original purpose is honorable. But bureaucracy has changed it. Copyright is a tool, and tools aren’t  bad, people are. And people twisted it’s original purpose into the monster we have today. If you didn’t want to discuss this...I’m sorry? But this is something I’m a little knowledgeable about. And I wanted to share.

TL;DR: Copyright isn’t really bad. Also, Butt has some opinions.

I... just kinda ran out of arguments. Sorry :P