Long Game 5: Noble Secrets

Tion hated throwing these parties. It meant he had to mingle with his lessers, which was basically anyone at all. There was nothing to do about it though. He might loath these people, but they still had their uses; some for their abilities and some for mere entertainment. 

"A bunch of worthless freeloaders, the lot of them," he mumbled to himself as he sent his ambassadors out to let everyone know the time and date.

Tion knew the reputation he had; he was well aware that people didn't like him and hadn't since almost the very first day he had arrived on the plains. That was when he had started his parties. Parties that almost rivaled those of the King's himself! It was just another of his intentional little reminders to everyone that he should be King, though he sometimes worried if his audience was intelligent enough to notice them. His purpose for the parties themselves was twofold:

One, it's difficult to badmouth the person whose wine and food you were eating without looking bad yourself and

two, it would make the change when he finally became King easier.

There was also the side benefit of reminding all of the plebeians of their place beneath him, but that went without saying. 

There, I solved the problem of the meeting place, as least for a day or two. We could always make it a rotating schedule type thing, like on Scadrial, if the other players who are nobles would want to do that. 

I left it vague as far as the actual time so that Maill can work it in wherever he needs the venue changed. I didn't want to screw up anything he already had written up and this way, if we're stuck in one spot for the duration (locked in the palace or something), it's easy to write off as well! :)

Edited by Metacognition

Xanas strode confidently into Tion’s party, noting the people there. Lower lighteyes, most of them were, yet necessary to his plans. He knew that other delegates from Kharbranth were here, like Graves and his men, carefully pulling strings to ensure Taravangian’s acquisition of the throne. Xanas had met with Highprince Gavilar, and asked him to listen to Taravangian’s plans. Naradal needed removing and a man of true ability needed to step in. Who to start with? Xanas walked over to Humperdink and sat down. He needed to make a few connections, as spanreeds had become rare in the wartime, and Xanas was not meeting in a possible enemy’s lair, nor would he lead one to his own hideout. The Diagram required him to manipulate them though, so here was the place to do so. He sat down and waved over a wine merchant – Saritu, that was his name wasn’t it? – and asked for the most expensive and intoxicating one there. Xanas did not drink his wine, but let Humperdink make some small talk and drink the bright pink wine. “So, Humperdink – that’s an odd name, no symmetry at all. Where are you from?”

Xaneth is the one that introduced Xanas to Taravangian.

Humperdinck sat down and drank the wine Xanas had provided for him. It really was fine; only pink wine was as smooth and fruity as wine should be. "Yes, my family is not of Alethkar. We are from eastern Jah Keved. and could barely be considered Vorin! We have become much more civilized since we moved to Alethkar to be closer to our main client, Sadeas, though. I'm afraid to say my name still rings of the heresy my ancestors used to believe." Humperdinck paused to think and organize his thoughts it was getting harder to think, "Whe work as merchants an breeders, yo shee, of axehounds an Sadeas is our behst client. Our ackshounds er the behst in the Vorin Kingdeems." Humperdinck could no longer remember where he was or what he was doing, "ish that nuff? ey can't seem t remembur what we wur speeking uf," The figure at the other end of the table tuned to leave. "That should be more than enough." replied Xanas

This is what I meant to ask about. Is there a timeframe in which you have to declare this? Say in the first 12 or 24 hours of the day? Because triggering it at 1 hour before the day ends to make sure a certain person who had any number of votes that was more than you died would be a bit broken :P

Fun perhaps, but broken.

Whoops, forgot to add that in. It must be declared with 24 hours left.

This looks complicated. Should be interesting :D 

I would like to join as Lucal, one of Highprince Ruthar’s scribes.I need to stop waiting for the last moment to join.

I have a few questions about the rules.

1. Are shardplate and half-shard passive like the Shardblade’s defense against a Pain Knife is? If someone is already using three actions, does the defense kick in? If so, which one of the three actions is negated?

2. If items change hands, do their uses reset, or does, for example, a Shardplate keep damage from previous users who were protected by it?

3. Regarding the Spanreed, you said starting a PM uses up a night action. Does this mean that the person can only start one PM per night, or does it mean that if they start any at all that costs an action, but they can start as many as they want that night? Can the PM’s continue beyond that night? If the person loses the Spanreed, what does that mean for the PM's that were started by them previously? What about if a PM is started during the day--does that cancel their vote, or is it a free action, or is that not allowed?

4. If someone nominates an heir, does it have to be publicly if it is done during the day like giving an item is? It is in private at night, right?

5. I am a little confused at the win conditions and the ending conditions. Does the game end when either the Ghostbloods are all dead or they outnumber the nobles? How exactly do the second goals work?

1. Yes, the Shardplate and half-shards are passive. If someone uses an attack, class 2, and a special ability/pain knife, the plate/half-Shard will not kick in.

2. No, the Shardplate will regrow to repair damage when a new person gets it. Once it is used up, it is shattered and unrepairable.

3. Deciding to start PM's counts as an action, and any amount can be created that night. If someone loses a spanreed, the PM's they started are deleted. The PM's can continue as long as the original holder still has it. PM's can technically be started during the day by a spanreed holder, but take the place of a vote and it must be public and include who is included in the pm.

4. Yes, declaring any heirs during the day must be public. Nighttime is all private.

5. The game will end when the Ghostbloods are all dead or they kill all the nobles. The secondary goals are just additional fun.

A note: for abbreviations in things like this, I will be using GB for Ghostblood and Gb for Grandbow.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 432904496 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Day 1: Death of the KingAeo

Day 1:

King Lenel Naladar had been in power for just over two years, after his elderly father had died. The two of them, along with Lenel's uncle had united the princedoms into one nation. Vetelin, Lenel's father, had been the diplomat, as he was too old to fight anymore. Lenel and his uncle had been the warriors. Geratad, Lenel's uncle had been assassinated by the Parshendi. That started the Vengeance Pact. Vetelin had died of a disease after ruling Alethkar for some years. Lenel had taken over after his father's death. The people loved him. He had a firm hand and a steady heart.

King Naladar had heard rumors of secret groups trying to overthrow the government and return the heretics, but he had never taken them seriously. He had guards a plenty to protect him from threats. He slept in comfort, naive and trusting. How could anyone break in and hurt him?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deren had been a guard for the King for twenty long years and never gotten much praise or reward. The King was generous, true, but also prideful. Deren was sick of it. He had met with a group called the Ghostbloods who had convinced him to help them kill King Naladar. It hadn't been hard, all he had had to do was wait until a night when he was assigned balcony duty. That night, he sent a missive to the leader of the Ghostbloods informing him of the situation. Deren waited for a moment when he was alone and all he had to do was tie a rope to the balcony for someone to climb up.

Deren saw the man in Shardplate waiting below. He gave the signal and the man climbed up the rope. Twisting the balcony somewhat with his weight, he climbed to the top and cut the rope down where another conspirator would take it to be discarded of. The Plate-clad man killed the other guard on the balcony and snuck inside to kill the King.

After the signal from the man coming back out, Deren ran into the King's chamber. Nauseated for a minute at the sight of the blood, he regained composure and began yelling and sounding the alarm. The King was dead.

By morning, the news had spread to the nobility: assassins had snuck into the palace and murdered the King. He had no sons or brothers and his uncle was dead. The nobility was panicking wondering who would become king. They had to find the killers before they were all dead.

Day 1 begins now and the voting will finish at 3:30 pm MDT/22:30 GMT.

Player List

1: Jost (TheOnlyJoe): Ex Soldier who lost a Shardblade.

2: Xanas (18th Shard): Diplomat to King Taravangian

3: Tors (Tulir): slightly confused ardent

4: Sprenil(Aspren): Stormwarden turned Hatham's ward

5: Awes(Awesomeness Summoned): Sebarial's Ryshadium groom with dreams of being Wit.

6: Alv (Alvron): scarred cousin of Roion

7: Brightlord Faialen (AonarFaileas): musician and scion of House Ruthar

8: Ace(Macen): TBD

9: Wurum (Wyrmhero): only remaining son of poor House Heron

10: Tion (Metacognition): snarky and sadistic brightlord

11: Humperdink (the Gleeman): ridiculously hopeful huntsman

12: Grellin Pilgras (GreyPilgrim): likes walking

13: Jain (Lightsworn Panda): Shin who is a bit on the crazy side. Strange obsession with pandas

14: Fnorf (Lord Claincy Ffnord): seargant in Sebarial's army

15: Jim Bob Dirt (Adolin_Dustbringer): a dirt salesman on a world of rock.

16: Khas (Kasimir): soldier of the tenth dahn in Roion's army.

17: Pailan (Sphinx): Stablemaster for Brightlord Hatham

18: Saritu (a smart guy): Kholin's wine merchant

19: Cara (Theorymaker): Devout female ardent in Aladar's camp.

20: Lucal (luckat): Ruthar's scribe

Edited by Mailliw73

The king was dead. That was bad. Terrible, even. Of course, the assassination of any noble was bad, particularly the king. But this was especially bad, considering Wurum was going to try to met with him just the next day to discuss trading rights to some of the produce his family's few remaining lands produced.

"Who did this?!" He asked, eyeing each and every person he came across. It was difficult not to take this whole thing rather personally. It was practically his family's last chance. Maybe it was one of his family's rivals? Not that it narrowed the choice down too much. ...He was just being paranoid. Of course the king wouldn't have been killed because of the possibility of a trading deal. It was a vain idea. Something the Ardents would frown upon. He shouldn't think like that.

But even so, the king had been killed. Murdered. Assassinated. They couldn't let this just stand, not after they came here to get vengeance for another king. He'd get revenge on whoever it was, just because of the insult to his family.

But no matter how he thought about the fact that his king had been killed, he couldn't shake the nagging, selfish feeling in the back of his head. One day. Could they not have waited one storming day!?

Edited by Wyrmhero

The air was fresh this morning. A highstorm the day before had left its usual layer of crem everywhere, but Grellin cared not. He breathed deep. A day like this, he felt, was one full of possibility. He tried to stay optimistic; he believed it was the only way to go through life.

His leg ached from a slash he had taken from a Parshendi a couple weeks back. It had bled quite a lot, but it was healing up quite well. Grellin had been removed from his duty as a captain under Highprince Aladar for a week, and yesterday had been his first chasm run since the injury.

A day full of possibility indeed. Unfortunately, those possibilities took a negative turn nearly right away.

"Brightlord Pilgras!" came a call behind him. Grellin stopped short. His soldiers knew he liked not to be disturbed during his walks. They were one of his few refuges in a confusing world. If a runner were sent after him, there must be something very wrong.

Grellin turned and faced the man approaching him rapidly, violet fearspren surrounding the man's feet.

"Brightlord Pilgras! King Naladar is dead!"

Grellin was shocked, to say the least. He glanced downward. Around his own feet was growing a violet pool as well.

Almighty above...

Tion took a sip of his wine as the criers circled the party with their news.

"The King is dead?" He said to himself. "Good. The fool was far too compassionate for his own good. Besides, now the throne is ready for me and I didn't even have to lift a finger against him!"

Yes, this could be a very good thing for him, especially since everyone was gathered here at his own party when it happened. He would need to be seen taking charge immediately. If he could get them used to taking his orders, the battle was already half won. So he made his way to the center of the crowd.

"Countrymen! I want you all to know that we will not let this atrocity go unpunished. With me at your head, we will find this secret order and avenge the king." It was obvious within his speech that the 'K' was not capitalized. "We now have two vengeance pacts to deal with and we will see them fulfilled.' 

'Now, please enjoy the festivities while I talk to each of you and determine what tasks to assign you so that we can see justice done."

There, he thought. That should be a good start. Now to find which of these fools have some use and which ones do not. 

I don't have any special tricks this time that I can think of to get the ball rolling. We're going to have to do this a bit more of the old fashioned way and just start randomly, IMO. The one thing I will say is that whomever has the Spanreed will want to be very careful about who they send PMs to. If I were them, I'd use this day to scout for people that they think are likely to be good. As such, everyone should be trying to talk and discuss enough today to help him make that decision! 

Edited by Metacognition

"What?!" Tors shouted when he heard the news.  "Another assassination?!"  Storms, someone had it out for the royal family.  Despite not being a native of Alethkar, he felt some need to help keep the kingdom running.  After all, if Alethkar collapsed, anything could happen to the neighboring countries.  

He made his way to where a group of nobles was gathering just in time to hear Tion make his proclamation.  He is right, Tors thought, Someone needs to take control.  But he seems too power-hungry to actually help people.  Could he have orchestrated this to take control in the chaos? 

I don't actually suspect you at this point, just some RP

^yet, anything can happen

Edited by Tulir

Chach, Nan, Chach 1173 EoS

Penned by my Sister Sani

The King is dead. He died without an Heir and already the camps are in an Uproar. My Lord Amaram has named our enemy; The Ghostbloods. an apt name for an organization that left no trace except a corpse. My Lord has told me to Investigate the Murder, and gave me a list of 19 people who May have been involved. Brightlord Tion is openly Suggesting we Coronate him, but he isn't even a Highprince.A Female scribe and an Ardent Arrived Late last night, Right before the Murder. I will start with Investigating them.

~Jost Joslin

The king murdered? That's bad, I suppose. He wasn't a particularly good king, not that bad a one either. More of a puppet-king, if some were to be believed. This is all rather bothersome. Oh,well, guess I have at-least enough time to finish reading my glyph-book before everything goes Stormward.

Edited by Aspren

Jain raised an eyebrow as the messenger continued telling the news of the King's death. He had only wanted to survey the warcamps and explore the Shattered Plains. He hadn't expected much of a ruckus. The king just had to go and get assassinated, didn't he? 

Sighing, Jain took his toy panda out. The toy was scuffed and battered after years of travel, despite Jain's best attempts to keep it in the best condition. While Jain had a fetish for all pandas, and as a result had an entire collection of panda toys, he had always been more partial towards this toy. He had never named it, and it didn't seem to want to be named. It's face, even though it was forever frozen in a smile, sometimes seemed to show deeper and darker emotions. Right now, the toy panda was only staring blankly back at him. 

Putting the toy back into his pocket, Jain went back to his rooms in Highprince Sebariel's warcamp. It looked like some exciting things were going to occur.

The king was dead. Saritu had to admit that he was surprised by this turn of events. He hadn't stocked up on the harder wines, and the chaos that was bound to follow from this would cause lots of nobles to turn to the bottle. Still, he had to capitalize on this opportunity.

"A toast! A toast to the dead king!"

Cara was very busy. News was spreading that the King had been assassinated. Worried people, both lighteyed and darkeyed, streamed in the temple to get prayers burned and to hear words of comfort. Cara helped as most of the ardents in the temple came to deal with the mass of people. It's sad that it took a tragedy this large to bring people to the temple, Cara thought sorrowfully . But tragedies happen for a reason, and hopefully many people would take up faith because of it.

Cara was very busy. News was spreading that the King had been assassinated. Worried people, both lighteyed and darkeyed, streamed in the temple to get prayers burned and to hear words of comfort. Cara helped as most of the ardents in the temple came to deal with the mass of people. It's sad that it took a tragedy this large to bring people to the temple, Cara thought sorrowfully . But tragedies happen for a reason, and hopefully many people would take up faith because of it.

Sorry, Threorymaker. That was a totally accidental mobile downvote. Someone please mend this. I'm really sorry.

Apologies for the length. I started typing and it just kept growing. I won't be offended if you don't take the time to read it. I promise, my future RP posts won't be so long (hopefully)

Awes labored up the last few steps to the stables then laid his burden down to take a breather. He needed to compose himself before facing the demon that awaited just beyond the doors. In most ways, taking care of Sebarial’s Ryshadium was a dream job. Stomper was largely self sufficient. All Awes had to do was deliver fresh feed every morning. 

The only problem was that the wind blasted beast had a burning dislike for Awes. The feeling was definitely mutual. He barely ever made it out of the stable without losing a few chunks of clothing (and in many cases skin). Every morning was a battle but if he got through it, he had the rest of the day to do whatever he wished. 

Awes took one lost long breath, shouldered the bag, and then pushed open the doors into Stomper’s pen. He came to an abrupt halt and dropped the food again in surprise. The Ryshadium was happily munching away on a large pile of feed.

“Where did that come from?” 

Stomper casually looked up from his meal and shrugged, if a horse could shrug with it’s eyes that is. He then went back to eating as if to say the groomsman’s services would not be required this morning. 

Awes gave the top of the horse’s head an angry glare then picked the bag up and turned to leave. A very loud whinny from behind pulled him up mid step and he looked over his shoulder to find Stomper eyeing him quite intently.

“What?” 

The horse quite poignantly looked at the bag, then down to the pile of feed at his feet, then back to Awes.

“You can’t be serious? There’s more food there than you can possibly finish as it is. You don’t need more.” 

He started to take another step but immediately stopped again when every one of Stomper’s massive muscles tensed up in preparation for a charge. Awes had seen it many times before and he had barely made it out alive on a few previous occasions when the Ryshadium had that look about him. 

“Fine! Eat so much you can’t even walk. It’s not like anybody would want to ride you anyway, you flee infested, chull brained, storm blasted.... Sorry! Sorry! I didn’t mean it. Here, take the food!”

Awes quickly dumped the contents onto the other pile of feed then stepped out of the horses bite range. Uproariously laughter greeted him from behind and Awes turned in surprise to find Highprince Sebarial rising to his feet.

“Brightlord, forgive me. I didn’t realize you were sitting there.”

“No need to apologize my boy. Witnessing the way you master my humble Ryshadium will give me inspiration when facing all my challenges this day.”

Awes felt the heat rise to his face at the realization of what the brightlord had just seen but Sebarial continued talking as if he thought nothing of it.

“I often come here to discuss important decision with Stomper. Normally, the burdens of leadership bring me here seeking advice in the evening but news of troubling events came early this morning. I decided to have our chat over breakfast for a change.”

“What troubling events your brightlord? If I may ask.”

“You may indeed. Everyone will know soon enough. The king is dead. Assassinated. By whom, is not yet clear. I never much liked the man myself but his unexpected death will cause no end of headaches for the kingdom and for me in particular, which makes me like him even less.”

“The summons, delivered to me strangely enough by some depressing chap named Summon, requested that I attend a gathering of the high lords. The assassins will have to be identified and a new king chosen. It is unlikely I would be considered for the position and I have no intentions of wasting a moment of my time listening to those other fools drone on about why they deserve the title so I’ve been discussing with Stomper who I should send in my stead. We both agreed that you will do nicely.”

“Me sir? But I’m just a stable groom. I wouldn’t know the first thing about rooting out assassins or choosing a king!”

“Nonsense, nonsense. You’ve survived Stomper for six years. Those crem filled brightlords will be a walk in the park by comparison.”

Despite the surge of panic and the feeling he might faint at any moment, Awes had to admit the prospect of having such an important role was exciting. More importantly, he would be escaping that mad horse.

“Besides, it’s not as though I’d send you on such an important mission alone.”

Awes relaxed a little at that news.

“Yes, Stomper would be distraught without you here to take care of him so I’m sending him along with you. He has reluctantly agreed to let you ride him. Riding a Ryshadium will give you some added respect in the eyes of the other brighteyes. What do you think of that?”

The ground rushed towards his face at an alarming speed but fortunately everything went black before he hit the ground.

Edit: grammatical error

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Kelek’s breath, Khas thought. It was a bad time to be a noble, which should’ve meant that was none of his storming business. Except that Highprince Roion had heard the news of the king’s death (who hadn’t?) and immediately doubled his guard. Most of the men Highprince Roion commanded were, unfortunately, archers.

Khas was a spearman. His hands always trembled when he drew a bow, throwing off his aim. Highprince Roion didn’t pay his spearmen well, and tenth dahn was just barely better than a darkeyes. He wondered if he would’ve felt better had he a sword.

All of which meant that Khas’s squad had been drawn to fill up the ranks of the Highprince’s doubled guard, and that Khas was knee-deep in chull dung.

He’d misplaced a Highprince. He’d no idea where Highprince Roion had gone, and he was getting paid extra (not much) to guard the man. His sergeant was going to have a chull when he finally found them. Probably give him scut work for the week or so. He swore under his breath and trudged off in the direction that looked most hopeful.

His thoughts wandered back to the slain king; perhaps, he thought, I'll burn a prayer for him. King Naladar had, after all, been a fair man, or so rumour had it. That was more than could be said of Highprince Roion.

‘Beware of Abrobadar.  He still resents how you humiliated him last winter.’ The scribe spoke while they watched the spanreed.  It stopped blinking moments after the last word was written.

Nodding his thanks Alv dismissed the young woman.  She’s clean. He thought.  Only a few dozen more to check and I can be done with this task.  The King has just been killed and already Highprince Roion has a plan to root out any spies in his camp.  I wonder how long he has suspected that some of his clerks are working for the other highlords.

Removing a pinch of firemoss from his pouch, Alv absently began rubbing it between his fingers.  Wisps of smoke rising from his hand.

Roion was right about one thing, being able to read womans script has made my task a lot easier than anyone will realise.  Just how long has Roion been pulling my strings?  Was he the one who sent the instructors to me or did he somehow find out about my unorthodox lessons?

Taking the stack of papers he tucked them under his arm and made his way out the room.  Once he was alone in his room he tossed the papers into the blazing hearth where they quickly burned.  Rolav had better keep his end of our agreement.  I need that account of Adolins duel against Tinalar.

Small musicspren flitted about in front of Faialen. He sat of in the corner of the hall, keeping his rhythm steady despite the terrible news that was spreading. His habit of playing at these events was considered deplorable, if not heretical behaviour for a young man from a powerful house, but it was one of the few things that brought him comfort, and his family was just influential enough he could get away with it. 

In all honesty, Faialen didn't much care that the King was dead. He'd never cared much for the court, and given all the problems back in Alethkar, as well as the untenable war of attrition being fought on the Plains, it would be hard for Naladar's replacement to do worse.

'Tis rather late where I am, so not much in the way of RP. Analysis on the other hand...

Looking at the roles, the number of players, and Maill's clarifications, I think we can make a couple deductions.

1st: Seeing how there are sixteen separate roles, and twenty players, we can assume there will be two players completely without roles. Only the Spanreed is likely to be doubled, and one of those Spanreeds will likely belong to the GBs. There is also most likely one GB without an item.

2nd: The only players who can be conclusively proven innocent are the Soulcaster and the Shardblade bearer. Logically, the GB's cannot start with these items, but pretty well anything else is probably fair game. (Though with the number of players we have, I highly doubt that the GB have the Grandbow.)

Once again, it's very late, so that's all I've got for tonight, and I'm a little too tired to even tell if any of this is helpful. :P I figured I may as well try though.

Edited by AonarFaileas

The party didn't allow Tion much in the way of privacy with any of the people he planned to talk to, so he had to keep a mask of patience and gentility plastered on his face for most of the night. So far, his efforts had been in vain. He'd talked to most of the Highprinces already. Well, the ones that had bothered to show up. Sebarial was blessedly missing and Roion, being the coward that he was, had taken to holing up in his keep it seemed. Every single on of them were too busy trying to figure out how the king's death would affect them to realize that they were speaking to their future King! He would have to see them punished sufficiently after taking the throne. 

He, as politely as he could, disengaged from the conversation he was having with Highprince Gavilar and grinding his teeth to keep the smile on his face as the man bemoaned every little thing. 

I'm surrounded my imbeciles, he thought. How are these people the best of the Alethi if they can't even get their act together enough to find these 'Ghostbloods?' As usual, I will have to do everything for them and then, once I'm King, they will do what I want them to do!

The highprinces weren't going to be much help it seemed. He needed to find others then. Others who were capable of taking orders....

If I'm reading the initial post correctly, we can assume that the Grandbow is innocent as well. Those are all items that can only be possessed by a "True Noble" at first. 

Edited by Metacognition

If I'm reading the initial post correctly, we can assume that the Grandbow is innocent as well. Those are all items that can only be possessed by a "True Noble" at first. 

While it's true that a Grandbow is innocent as well, I'm not sure how these innocent items help us as such. They certainly don't past the first night. But then, it's difficult to find innocence in this game even on the first night if they have more than one item.

If they have two items (I doubt they would have more, but maybe there will be one person. Who knows?) to start with, and we assume one is an innocent item, then the spy would have only a 50/50 chance of seeing that first night and proving it. I assume people would only start off with one innocent item, otherwise someone could possess 2/3 win conditions for the Ghostbloods all on their own. Otherwise, they'd have to try again on the second night, when we can no longer be certain of innocence due to deaths. Though by the same token, if anyone does have 2/3rds of the win conditions, they're probably a Ghostblood. Shame it'd take two nights (minimum) to find that.

I doubt we'll find out precisely what items are stolen from the dead, but we could find out from Death Messages. Personally I would say that Death Messaging the exact nature of what was stolen would be in poor taste, but 'Oh, my Shard, why did you fail me!' or some other informative yet suitably fitting phrasing of your loss would be perfectly in-keeping with the nature of them.

Of course, the main variable here is how many Spies we have, and thus how many people can be declared innocent. The problem here though is that - unless a Spy was lucky enough to get a Spanreed with their role, or gets messaged by their first target in an extraordinary bout of luck - they can't build up a base of power behind the scenes. As such, I'd probably expect us to either have a large number of Spies to counter this, or just one because it's not so important this game. I think the Spanreeds are going to be our main weapon here.

EDIT: I made this post assuming that Shardplate was safe as well. Just looked at the list and it turns out that it isn't. So I wouldn't be surprised if someone had 2/3rds the win conditions in the form of a full Shardbearer (it was the fact that this logic wouldn't give us one that made me think about it) or a Shardplate and Soulcaster, since that's not so useful for the Ghostbloods and makes it harder for them to win.

EDIT2: That'll teach me to read the rules more fully. Full Shardbearers are explicitly a possible role someone can get. Though I suppose that it's not definite that we start off with one.

Edited by Wyrmhero

The King is dead. The thought rang through Lucal’s mind. She barely noticed what else the message she read to Highprince Ruthar said.

There was no heir to the King. This would mean chaos, and perhaps even more death than when Geratad had united the nation, unless a strong leader could take control. Perhaps one of the highprinces would come out on top.

Lucal watched Ruthar closely for his reaction. An expression of eagerness showed through his detachment. She knew what that meant. He was going to try to be the new King. Worry mingled with excitement filled her. That would be dangerous for him and everyone around him. However, Lucal couldn’t help but wonder what it would be like to be a scribe to the King.

Faialen, that seems like a good analysis of what is out there. I wonder, however, if it is possible that some people have more than one item, or someone with a role has an item. Also, there’s 11 items and 3 roles that aren’t Ghostbloods or Shardbearers/Full Shardbearers (which as far as I can tell goes with the shardblade/plate rather than really being a separate role (I might be wrong though)). That makes 14 separate roles, so there might be more people without anything or more duplicate items than you think.