The Chat Thread

Archer

I like the idea of meta-investiture as Rushu mentioned above because on its own it isn't too powerful. We already have Seekers and Leechers and Aluminum Gnats. But making it more common for normal people, NPCs and PCs, means that having Investiture is no longer as universally powerful. Maybe we term it as a Resonance that occurred between the Innate Investiture of the people in the Alleyverse and the Forgery. 

Edit: They're powers that don't lend themselves to conquering but to resisting conquering. 

Edited by 18th Shard

I also like the idea of meta investiture. Whats something new that we could do with it? One thing I thought of was maybe being able to see investiture in use, and temporarily absorbing it/negating it. 

Like a forgery could be temporarily stopped, but it would resume when concentration was broken. A surge would be temporarily negated, or a awakened object stopped.

6 minutes ago, 18th Shard said:

I like the idea of meta-investiture as Rushu mentioned above because on its own it isn't too powerful. We already have Seekers and Leechers and Aluminum Gnats. But making it more common for normal people, NPCs and PCs, means that having Investiture is no longer as universally powerful. Maybe we term it as a Resonance that occurred between the Innate Investiture of the people in the Alleyverse and the Forgery. 

Edit: They're powers that don't lend themselves to conquering but to resisting conquering. 

"I like this one."

I do wonder how many forms of meta-Investitures is too much (Leeching, Nicrobursting, Aluminum-canceling, Seeking, Smoking, and that's just if we don't add anything new). Also some form of making Allomancy at least different, if not superior. Like Mac's temporary Leeching/suppressing idea, that's cool.

With meta-investure, one important thing to keep in mind is making sure that it doesn't become unfun to rp with. Someone who can just 'nope' everything you do will probably get frustrating, even if they have no offensive abilities.

I don't think that they would have each of the types of meta investiture, that might be OP. I was thinking that we take the meta investiture from allomancy and use it as inspiration for something. 

I like the idea of being able to move investiture, thats something different that isn't really done, I don't know if raysium is the way to go.

Some sub-aspects could be absorbing investure to use it for something, or hijacking ambient investure to bend or adjust magic usage.

Just now, Ashbringer said:

Ash: "Hey I want to make a mostly skill-based DA character with a only slightly useful Investiture, I'm thinking A-Copper."

Alleyverse: "What if we made everyone a Seeker!"

:P

I assume not everyone born in the Alleyverse would have access to this magic, only some of them would actually be able to acquire it?

Just now, kenod said:

I assume not everyone born in the Alleyverse would have access to this magic, only some of them would actually be able to acquire it?

Probably not everyone, or not everyone with Seeker-like abilities. But it is making me think twice about Smokers.

Raysium powers would be cool, but probably need 2 actively-used Investiture sources - one to draw from, one to give to. And it probably should be fairly slow so it doesn't end up a Leech + Nicroburst bundle.

1 minute ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Ooh actually, do you think this kind of magic would be able to help reverse or slow Savantism?

... I like my Savants :(

Maybe slow it, but reversing would mean healing long-term Spiritual damage which is apparently complicated.

6 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Raysium powers would be cool, but probably need 2 actively-used Investiture sources - one to draw from, one to give to. And it probably should be fairly slow so it doesn't end up a Leech + Nicroburst bundle.

8 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Maybe the moving would be slower, but you only need one source.

like you could redirect most things into other things. Like a forgery could be moved or a surge's target changed.

I don't think it would ever be bundle, because you aren't stopping the user from using it, you are just redirecting it. you would have to touch the source of he investiture.

4 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Maybe the moving would be slower, but you only need one source.

like you could redirect most things into other things. Like a forgery could be moved or a surge's target changed.

I don't think it would ever be bundle, because you aren't stopping the user from using it, you are just redirecting it. you would have to touch the source of he investiture.

Ohhhh okay that makes sense. I'm used to raysium just drawing things into gemstones apparently.

I like the idea of something new springing up from the aftereffects of the Forgery somehow; I don't hate the idea of redirecting Investiture, but I also don't know if I love it? I'll think on it. I do like the ideas being thrown around here. 

I also like the idea of a DA civil war. 

DA civil war sounds interesting, but I do wonder what'd happen once the department heads get involved, at least what'd happen to the regular chars. Having a major guild/civil war isn't as much fun when the demigods are just battling it out amongst themselves and the others can't really intervene because of power differences

12 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

I'm thinking its like redirecting lightning from atla

That sound really strong. Like, depending on what exactly you mean it could easily be stronger than NullBlade's power, which is already worth 50 points.

4 minutes ago, kenod said:

DA civil war sounds interesting, but I do wonder what'd happen once the department heads get involved, at least what'd happen to the regular chars. Having a major guild/civil war isn't as much fun when the demigods are just battling it out amongst themselves and the others can't really intervene because of power differences

Thats what I was wondering as well, like what would other guilds do in the war, why would they be involved.

6 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I like the idea of something new springing up from the aftereffects of the Forgery somehow; I don't hate the idea of redirecting Investiture, but I also don't know if I love it? I'll think on it. I do like the ideas being thrown around here. 

I also like the idea of a DA civil war. 

Please throw around more ideas if you have any, I'm by no means married to the redirection.

Just now, mathiau said:

That sound really strong. Like, depending on what exactly you mean it could easily be stronger than NullBlade's power, which is already worth 50 points.

Not in terms of strength of power, but in terms of whats happening mechanically. I don't think they would be able to redirect an Aon Daa blast, or a division blast as it came at them.

Maybe a proxy war? At least to start. If the heads are battling for superiority, I doubt they'd start to personally risk themselves for a while.

Plus if the Alleyverse is suddenly full of Investiture suppressors, then overcoming ultimate power is a bit less daunting, and the heads might want to ensure those suppressors are firmly under their control.

As for other guilds... a fractured DA could probably make alliances (whether through alliances or cookies).

How'd the 7 Day War end up as the initial lines? From what I remember the guilds had a set war that sort of dissolved once the DA panicked and unleashed whatever they had.

6 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Plus if the Alleyverse is suddenly full of Investiture suppressors, then overcoming ultimate power is a bit less daunting, and the heads might want to ensure those suppressors are firmly under their control.

Um, lets just say investure suppressors won't do all that much against the higher-level department heads, because they're either using way more power that can be suppressed, or have access to stuff that doesn't involve investure, like massive hords of city-destroying monsters

6 minutes ago, kenod said:

Um, lets just say investure suppressors won't do all that much against the higher-level department heads, because they're either using way more power that can be suppressed, or have access to stuff that doesn't involve investure, like massive hords of city-destroying monsters

... maybe a lot of Investiture Suppressors :ph34r:

But fair point. I don't really know enough about the DA (yet).

21 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

How'd the 7 Day War end up as the initial lines? From what I remember the guilds had a set war that sort of dissolved once the DA panicked and unleashed whatever they had.

Everyone was against the DA.

21 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

Maybe a proxy war? At least to start. If the heads are battling for superiority, I doubt they'd start to personally risk themselves for a while.

That's an interesting idea. There certainly would be some form of proxy fighting. But like kenod said even if the whole city was made of aluminum, one of them could just drop a meteor on it.

There would need to be some reason for the DA to not want to kill everyone. 

Honestly if people had access to this new type of investiture, keeping them as a breeding stock would be a reason that the DA would keep the city around.

Edited by MacThorstenson

2 minutes ago, MacThorstenson said:

Thats what I was wondering as well, like what would other guilds do in the war, why would they be involved.

Opportunism. I think at least some people of TUBA would want to make lasting damages to the DA. Which will in turn create internal dissensions with people who consider the DA a necessary evil

Not in terms of strength of power, but in terms of whats happening mechanically. I don't think they would be able to redirect an Aon Daa blast, or a division blast as it came at them.

These aren't the best examples, NullBlade wouldn't nullify these either

Just now, Ashbringer said:

DA Cold War !

As for other guilds... a fractured DA could probably make alliances (whether through alliances or cookies).

Some guild would probably try to calm things down and have the issue be resolved as much as possible by diplomacy instead of all out wars waged by people able to destroy planets on a whim

3 minutes ago, kenod said:

Or using powers that fundamentally can't be suppressed, like Voidmaking

k, guys I think something similar to a guild war would be an interesting idea to play around with, maybe we could have the DA kind of split into multiple factions, not just two. so it would be a wider civil war. 

For the magic system what if to get the powers you bond a shadow beast thingy. let's say this would have been nearly impossible before the forge thingy, but now there's been a radical shift in their thinking, so now they are bonding.