The Chat Thread

Archer

Well, looks like I’ve got my work cut out for me!

I think something everyone can work on is to start thinking about how you would want your characters to change and how you want them to stay the same. If you have questions or please feel free to ask Voidus or myself here in the chat thread, or in a pm if you’d prefer to keep it a surprise.

And having another plot take the foreground for era 4 sounds great. 

1 minute ago, Fatebreaker said:

I think something everyone can work on is to start thinking about how you would want your characters to change and how you want them to stay the same. If you have questions or please feel free to ask Voidus or myself here in the chat thread, or in a pm if you’d prefer to keep it a surprise.

What changes are possible? I'm a bit at a loss. Do you mean investiture or cd?

7 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Either. Doesn't have to be any significant change if people don't want to, but if they want to try something different this would be an opportunity.

10 minutes ago, Fatebreaker said:

It might also be good for the Guild leaders (and members) to start brainstorming on the effects on their guild.

3 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Almost anything is possible. Characters could remain mostly unchanged, or they could have completely new lives. I’d say to keep the changes focused mostly on CD, as everyone trying to get new characters approved would be exhausting for the Mods, so maybe don’t add powers or abilities, but rather swap them with powers of the same level or remove powers. The idea for this arc is that most of the character changes would be up to the individual rather than plot requirements. 

Just now, kenod said:

It might also be good for the Guild leaders (and members) to start brainstorming on the effects on their guild.

Indeed. The idea is that the guilds would have their power greatly reduced in terms of resources and manpower. They might still have some muscle, but no one is gonna have an army. 

1 hour ago, Fatebreaker said:

Almost anything is possible. Characters could remain mostly unchanged, or they could have completely new lives. I’d say to keep the changes focused mostly on CD, as everyone trying to get new characters approved would be exhausting for the Mods, so maybe don’t add powers or abilities, but rather swap them with powers of the same level or remove powers. The idea for this arc is that most of the character changes would be up to the individual rather than plot requirements. 

Would it theoretically be possible to introduce a new character that hadn't existed before, and maybe keep that character afterwards? In that case it would be an easy way to introduce children without the need of a 20 year timeskip.

12 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Would it theoretically be possible to introduce a new character that hadn't existed before, and maybe keep that character afterwards? In that case it would be an easy way to introduce children without the need of a 20 year timeskip.

Yeah that was one of the thoughts we'd had, easy way to ensure that everyone would be able to play the characters that they wanted.

On 17.7.2019 at 2:24 PM, Voidus said:

The 'only a few' is mostly just an expectation that most players will want to be involved in the main thread and that this is probably going to be very light in action and combat and so it may not appeal to many people to participate in directly, not an attempt to try to create an exclusive group or anything.
As for the difficulties on spying on the DA, that's actually one of the parts I'm kind of interested in exploring. Infiltrating into the Alleys and eavesdropping on a planning session between the Department heads would probably be impossible, but tailing a Denizen who's heading out from the Alleys to collect information or materials wouldn't be. And the DA would also probably try to keep an eye on the other guilds to make sure they didn't learn anything so there could be a 'spying on the spies' type of thing going on, not sure how it'll pan out, but I think if we start RPing it we can see where it goes.

Sorry for my late reply to that, I had to think about it for a while.

I agree that we'll have to wait and see how it works out. I have to admit, that to me it sounds like it will end with following a whole thread without a possibility to act for a weeks, until someone leaves an alley, but in the end that's something that could be steered easily.

I'm not sure if it will work, but in the end I personally would like to interact more with most DA players, but atm that's more or less impossible, so maybe there will be a good opportunity for that.

7 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

@Sorana I know that I'm 100% on board to put in the effort needed to make this work with my DA character and have it be fun for others. Interactivity is fun and I'd love to rp more of that!

Well given that we've got a plan for two of our characters, I already know that :P

Still, thank you. I'm simply worried, that's everything. I'd like to have an rp, where we can all interact, if we want to (and if it fits the characters), although I know that the guild affiliations often make that difficult.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Still, thank you. I'm simply worried, that's everything. I'd like to have an rp, where we can all interact, if we want to (and if it fits the characters), although I know that the guild affiliations often make that difficult.

That’s a large motivation for the upcoming arc and the scaling back of the guilds, to allow greater interaction between individuals of different guilds. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to start a petition that we stop locking threads, even when they end. This is for a couple simple reasons: 

• You can’t quote or edit locked stuff, and I don’t know if that annoys anyone else, but it’s caused me a great amount of annoyance. 
  • People may want to finish an interaction they had going in that thread, and even if it’s a main plot thread and they can return to their interaction in the next thread, it could be confusing to newer members, outside observers, or those who read it after it ends. 

Also...is there any reason to be locking them in the first place? I think it’s allegedly for organization, so we can all move on to the next thread instead of having people post on an abandoned thread, but I don’t think that’s an issue we really need to worry about. So long as everyone knows we’re moving threads, they can wrap up what they’re doing and switch to the new thread. 

I can hear the question “What about new people coming in after the fact?” already, but again, I don’t think that’ll be a problem. Most people would recognize that the thread hadn’t been posted in for a while or see the notice/talk about a new thread before they posted, and if anyone ignored that stuff and posted regardless, we could easily inform them of their mistake and direct them to the correct topic. I don’t think too many people would go digging in pages other than the first or perhaps second anyway while looking for somewhere to RP, because it’s just logical to bring in your character in a place where they can interact with other characters. 

Just an idea, but one I hope could be implemented. 

Edited by AonEne
Used repetitive language and we can’t have that

41 minutes ago, AonEne said:
  • You can’t quote or edit locked stuff, and I don’t know if that annoys anyone else, but it’s caused me a great amount of annoyance.

Multiquote should still work in locked threads I believe.

I'll wait for other people to comment before I give my opinion on the rest but given that that point has an easy fix and may be causing you some current annoyance, I thought I should mention it.

I’m currently in favor of locking threads, mainly because I don’t actually think people will stop posting in old threads. When we tried to get people to stop posting in old threads everyone always had to make one last post, and that sometimes was multiple posts.

I try leave time for people to make one last wrap up post for that thread for their characters, but if you are in the middle of an interaction it’s better to try and move it to the new thread than wrap it up in the last thread.

That said, it is annoying for threads to be locked and things to be moved, I am personally confused about why we have multiple threads for each main plot. Ideally we could circumvent the whole issue by having one thread for the whole plot. 

10 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

That said, it is annoying for threads to be locked and things to be moved, I am personally confused about why we have multiple threads for each main plot. Ideally we could circumvent the whole issue by having one thread for the whole plot. 

You gotta get in all the cool titles you can :P

But on a serious note, I agree with this - only downside is what we always talk about in the AV PMs, it might be daunting to new members. But seeing as how each thread is only like 20-30 pages, I don’t think it would be that bad, so yeah I agree. I still don’t think they should be locked, though. 

15 hours ago, AonEne said:

Also...is there any reason to be locking them in the first place? I think it’s allegedly for organization, so we can all move on to the next thread instead of having people post on an abandoned thread, but I don’t think that’s an issue we really need to worry about. So long as everyone knows we’re moving threads, they can wrap up what they’re doing and switch to the new thread. 

You, Ene, should not be talking about how everyone stops posting when they're supposed to.

*coughGhostbloodPMcough*

45 minutes ago, RayOfSunshine said:

You, Ene, should not be talking about how everyone stops posting when they're supposed to.

*coughGhostbloodPMcough*

Okay, first, I haven’t posted there in months. Second, it was a joke because I’m in TUBA, and nobody else was getting offended except for you afaik. Lastly, I wasn’t in the new PM, which makes the situation vastly different yet again. 

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for the "one thread for main plot" proposition. I think this is a great idea, we wouldn't have to worry about locking multiple threads and honestly, I think it would be way easier for new members to figure out what is going on if there is only one main plot thread to read through. Trying to find multiple parts, order them chronologically, etc. is a pain - I know because I went backwards and have attempted to read through a lot of the old threads. Multiple parts make things harder. Four threads each with 30 pages is the same amount of pages as one thread with 120 pages - and way less searching.

I'm a fan of locking the threads on completion, for whatever that's worth. Also, I don't think this is the place to call someone out for stuff that happens elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

I know because I went backwards and have attempted to read through a lot of the old threads. Multiple parts make things harder. 

As have I, and I agree. 

27 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Usually I miss the few hours until the thread is locked... 

And this is another good point - there only being a few hours of notice is bad for anyone in a different time zone or even just anyone not on at that time. 

I’d like to argue in favour of split threads, actually. This is mostly for reading up on old threads, I have yet to participate in main plot - but I find it far easier to read through four or so 30-page threads than a 100 or 120+ page thread. Similarly, it’s easier to mark the passage of time - you can say, ‘I got here around SDW or WoD or ALQ.’ Not, ‘oh, around 80 pages into the thread.’ How do you even measure that?

It’s helpful to divide stories into stages. You can say, ‘in this one there was just some small squabbling in the city. The second part was this off-world conflict, the third led up to the final battle, and then the final battle happened.’ And a new thread can be used to mark a monumentous occasion (eg Voidus is about to be released, y’all!)

One thing we could do is merge the different plot threads into one locked one after the fact (ie when people stop posting well and truly in the old threads, maybe after a week), and link in the OP to which page has which section. So if you know you have to read over Rivers of Blood, you know where that begins and ends. That cleans up the thread count a little. (We could also do that with old plotlines as well, possibly. But I’d be concerned if that... disrupts things.)

20 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

I’d like to argue in favour of split threads, actually. This is mostly for reading up on old threads, I have yet to participate in main plot - but I find it far easier to read through four or so 30-page threads than a 100 or 120+ page thread. Similarly, it’s easier to mark the passage of time - you can say, ‘I got here around SDW or WoD or ALQ.’ Not, ‘oh, around 80 pages into the thread.’ How do you even measure that?

It’s helpful to divide stories into stages. You can say, ‘in this one there was just some small squabbling in the city. The second part was this off-world conflict, the third led up to the final battle, and then the final battle happened.’ And a new thread can be used to mark a monumentous occasion (eg Voidus is about to be released, y’all!)

One thing we could do is merge the different plot threads into one locked one after the fact (ie when people stop posting well and truly in the old threads, maybe after a week), and link in the OP to which page has which section. So if you know you have to read over Rivers of Blood, you know where that begins and ends. That cleans up the thread count a little. (We could also do that with old plotlines as well, possibly. But I’d be concerned if that... disrupts things.)

This. Right an all counts.

21 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

One thing we could do is merge the different plot threads into one locked one

I like this idea! Letting everyone wrap up their conversations in the old one before moving to the next one and then eventually squishing them all together seems like the best part of both arguments.