The Chat Thread

Archer

8 hours ago, Lunamor said:

@Ookla the Windwhisperer, does Perses have visible hemalurgic spikes in his eyes?

That he does! They aren’t as big as inquisitor’s, and can be hid behind glasses, albeit with a small amount of scarring poking out of the edges of the rims. The spikes don’t go that far, so no poking through the back of the head. But the will be visible and reminiscent of inquisitors for the aware folk.

8 hours ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

What is the political system of Alleycity like? My new character is a politician who just arrived in the city and I need to know what sort of roles there are and how they are chosen.

@Ookla the Glossy @Ookla the Windwhisperer

I’m no expert, so don’t take my word for it, but from what I understand, it is generally in flux. There are heads of organizations, but I think the closest you have to governmental heads are Voidus and co. Generally you would need people powerful enough to stay in power even when new and potentially very dangerous arrivals are coming in at any given time.

4 hours ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

That he does! They aren’t as big as inquisitor’s, and can be hid behind glasses, albeit with a small amount of scarring poking out of the edges of the rims. The spikes don’t go that far, so no poking through the back of the head. But the will be visible and reminiscent of inquisitors for the aware folk.

Ok, thank you!

1 hour ago, Lunamor said:

Ok, thank you!

Something to note! Perses is currently in his room, and not in the main lobby. I can change things if needed, though.

Plus, they are currently wearing blinder’s glasses over their spikes.

Edited by Ookla the Windwhisperer

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

Something to note! Perses is currently in his room, and not in the main lobby. I can change things if needed, though.

Plus, they are currently wearing blinder’s glasses over their spikes.

I’ll fix that, thanks!

On 12/6/2023 at 8:33 PM, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

What is the political system of Alleycity like? My new character is a politician who just arrived in the city and I need to know what sort of roles there are and how they are chosen.

@Ookla the Glossy @Ookla the Windwhisperer

We actually had a governmental system somewhat divorced from the guild system - the guilds had representatives in the government, but the leaders of the guilds were not the leaders of the gov. I think it was a democracy? 

At this point, I'm comfortable saying after the Forgery and the general dramatics that go on in Alleycity, the government can look like whatever we want. I'd go with, there is one, ostensibly guild leaders can't be government officials but you can be in a guild and in the gov at the same time, something something voting, HQ is probably near the middle of the city. Feel free to make up some details. 

Something worth noting, and this is relevant for everyone, but especially @Ookla the Prehistoric and @Ookla thePresentParticiple, you are more than welcome to make up details. If something hasn’t been explicitly said by someone else, then make things up. I as Perses didn’t describe anything about Pewter Ironworks, which means you are more than welcome to make up any amount of details about the building and the attack itself. Heck, I’ve left the gang fairly vague. 

Anything goes, so long as it maintains continuity with what others have said. We want to be careful of godmodding (making up or controlling actions that another character did), but making up the setting and backstory is actually quite useful! We are all DMs here, so we get to storybuild all we want!

3 hours ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

@Ookla thePresentParticiple, quick question: how does he know what a gun is? Perhaps I’m a hair uneducated about pre-Final Empire technology, but I thought there weren’t firearms.

There were guns! Kind of.

Basically, in Alendi, Rashek, and Kwaam’s time firearms were being invented and refined. They were rare, but not unheard of, and still in the early stages of development. But when The Lord Ruler came to power he put technological advancement to a halt and hid knowledge about firearms, fearful of their power. But I always imagined Inquisitors studying them in secret, and as Corbeau is a High Prelan it makes sense that he’d know, being trusted enough.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Erased said:

Can someone explain what the alleyverse is? I keep reading stuff and getting more confused, but I think I want a cookie.

Okay so basically, it’s a universe, ruled by an all-powerful entity named voidus, which has various rifts torn throughout the multiverse. These rifts can be in any place or time in any of Brandon Sanderson’s worlds. Characters come from anywhere, and they interact. 

Alleycity is the main hub of this world, with many different areas and guilds. The two main ones are the DA (The Dark Alleys) and TUBA (The Underground Bakers Association). The more ominous sounding one is the bad one, and the friendlier sounding one is the one that was set up to stop the bad one (and promote peace in general). A whole lot of history happened, and right now we are in Era 7, which is meant to be a soft reset, so folks don’t have to keep track of all that much. Heck, you don’t even need to care about the current guilds!

Our current plot is based around the going ons of my character, Perses, and his rise to power in the city. Actually, I’m thinking od starting up a new episode, as our first scene is pretty much wrapped up. I’ll inquire with others, but now is a pretty solid time to join, if you’re interested.

At its heart, this is a collaborative storytelling forum roleplay. There’s no DM, and you are encouraged do let out your inner writer. It’s a lot of fun, and if you like either roleplay or writing, I strongly recommend trying it out! I’m the main”moderator” at the moment (I don’t actually have moderator privileges, I was just approved by other mods to kinda run things for the time being), and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask em! There’s a lot of info across many threads, and so if you need something, you can totally ask here, and I’ll try to give you the knowledge you seek.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

Okay so basically, it’s a universe, ruled by an all-powerful entity named voidus, which has various rifts torn throughout the multiverse. These rifts can be in any place or time in any of Brandon Sanderson’s worlds. Characters come from anywhere, and they interact. 

Alleycity is the main hub of this world, with many different areas and guilds. The two main ones are the DA (The Dark Alleys) and TUBA (The Underground Bakers Association). The more ominous sounding one is the bad one, and the friendlier sounding one is the one that was set up to stop the bad one (and promote peace in general). A whole lot of history happened, and right now we are in Era 7, which is meant to be a soft reset, so folks don’t have to keep track of all that much. Heck, you don’t even need to care about the current guilds!

Our current plot is based around the going ons of my character, Perses, and his rise to power in the city. Actually, I’m thinking od starting up a new episode, as our first scene is pretty much wrapped up. I’ll inquire with others, but now is a pretty solid time to join, if you’re interested.

At its heart, this is a collaborative storytelling forum roleplay. There’s no DM, and you are encouraged do let out your inner writer. It’s a lot of fun, and if you like either roleplay or writing, I strongly recommend trying it out! I’m the main”moderator” at the moment (I don’t actually have moderator privileges, I was just approved by other mods to kinda run things for the time being), and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask em! There’s a lot of info across many threads, and so if you need something, you can totally ask here, and I’ll try to give you the knowledge you seek.

Gotcha. Sounds like a party! How do I join?

3 hours ago, Ookla the Erased said:

There are two character threads, one for asking for advice and discussion based on your character, and one for submitting characters to be approved by the moderators (and @Ookla the Windwhisperer, with their temporary power). It is advised but not mandatory to post on the former of the threads (I, along with several other newer members did not and still got approved). After that, I suggest reading through our current era seven thread to see what’s been happening, and then you can start RPing based on that.

3 hours ago, Ookla the Erased said:

I’d certainly begin with an idea for a character, and go from there. The world is your oyster, and so long as the character feels real, the likelihood it will get approved is high. I’m a stickler for 3-dimensional characters, and if you make them fun and complex, I might even give you a bit of wiggle room on the power level side of things ;).

Just now, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

*facepalm*

I forgot Eza existed. I’ll say no, he let her go when he ran out of the inn.

Alright, thanks for clarifying! She was definitely going to ragdoll to slow him down if he was still holding on to her :P

@Ookla of Ravens, quick reminder: given that this RP has no DM, and relies on the players to provide the worldbuilding, having your posts contain a hair more than just your character’s immediate action is often quite useful. For example, their inner thoughts, what they see in the moment, what they smell, even. Details about the surrounding, or specific details on how exactly a motion is done.

This allows the other players to get a better feel for what your character is like, how they see the world, and how to best interact with them to make a quality story.

Additionally, we want to be careful with godmodding, or controlling other characters’ actions. Even something as simple as punching another character, or tackling them to the ground, is inadvertently robbing them of actions. Maybe their character would expect a punch, and dodge it. Maybe they would make your job even easier! Something such as “Mr Dow threw a punch at John Smith” instead of “John Smith got hit with Mr Doe’s fist” enables a character to have much more freedom. There is actually etiquette for duels in the Alleyverse RP, but I’ve never used it, and have seldom found much use for it.

Long story short, the more detail, the better, and be wary of controlling what another character does or robbing someone of their agency.

14 hours ago, Ookla the Windwhisperer said:

I’d certainly begin with an idea for a character, and go from there. The world is your oyster, and so long as the character feels real, the likelihood it will get approved is high. I’m a stickler for 3-dimensional characters, and if you make them fun and complex, I might even give you a bit of wiggle room on the power level side of things ;).

Well I guess I'll get working on somebody! I may not have time to get really into it at the moment though, so I might wait.