The Chat Thread

Archer

Don’t sweat it. Generally filling steel means (IMO) that you move like a sloth: you move slower in any case where you’re moving under your own power. However, you won’t fall slower. Tapping steel essentially just makes you move faster, again when under your own power. Hopefully that helps... something.

Here at the Alleyverse, we tend not to concern ourselves with those pesky laws of physics anyway :P

8 hours ago, Ashbringer said:

Don’t sweat it. Generally filling steel means (IMO) that you move like a sloth: you move slower in any case where you’re moving under your own power. However, you won’t fall slower. Tapping steel essentially just makes you move faster, again when under your own power. Hopefully that helps... something.

Here at the Alleyverse, we tend not to concern ourselves with those pesky laws of physics anyway :P

Says you. On that note, who wants to work together on the mathematics regarding conservation of momentum when using iron while moving through the air?

I am considering joining the Alleyverse, but I am not too familiar with RP's in general. How does the Alleyverse/Freeforms handle things should go unnoticed for a time. For example, if one character who is an expert thief pickpockets another character, but wants to do it unnoticed, how do they do it? Or, if an assassin sneaks into a room and stabs someone in the back?

Edited by Scarletfox

1 hour ago, Scarletfox said:

I am considering joining the Alleyverse, but I am not too familiar with RP's in general. How does the Alleyverse/Freeforms handle things should go unnoticed for a time. For example, if one character who is an expert thief pickpockets another character, but wants to do it unnoticed, how do they do it? Or, if an assassin sneaks into a room and stabs someone in the back?

I think generally you'd write it out as happening, but with a comment explaining that it should have gone unnoticed. People should roleplay accordingly.

7 hours ago, Scarletfox said:

In addition to Rushu's explanation:

There is always a difference between a PC (Player Character = a character written by someone else) and a NPC (Non Player Character = character that can be controlled by anybody/ introduced whenever you need a certain role to be filled).

For example: you can always write a post of your character walking over the marketplace picking pockets left and right and showing off your characters skills. You can decide this, because in this situation you are targetting NPCs so nobody really cares what happens to them.

If you instead try to rob a character that I write, then you usually don't finish your action. For example you could write something like that:

Mike carefully moved slower towards the girl. The bag she had slug partially over her shoulder was open and he could see the corner of a pouch inside. Expertly he moved through the crowd until he was close enough. She was talking with some friends laughing loudly and it was easy to reach out into her bag and grab the purse.

Then you would stop your post roughly at that point, give the other player a chance to react. That also means, that you depend on them having to play along, not noticing, or maybe noticing too late that someone stole from them, but the important part is, that you give them a chance.

The same goes for an assassination. You can't decide whether another player's character dies or not. You can attack them stealthily, but you always need to give them a chance to react, to notice your attack and to evade.

If you'd like to have a longer explanation about the whole "give a chance to react" topic, please take a look at this post:

Number 1 godmodding is the one I'm refering to.

12 hours ago, Scarletfox said:

@Sorana Thanks, friend! So in essence, I shouldn't assume that they don't notice something, but mention how stealthy and sneaky my character is, and wait to see if their character 'notices'.

That is a perfect summary! And now I wonder why it took me several paragraphs to say exactly the same...

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone be up to make some Rithmatists for a guild? I've noticed a disappointing lack of such characters, which I hope to fix. I'm not entirely sure what we would do- Host some public duels, for sure, maybe mess around with odd/new defenses and such.

10 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

Would anyone be up to make some Rithmatists for a guild? I've noticed a disappointing lack of such characters, which I hope to fix. I'm not entirely sure what we would do- Host some public duels, for sure, maybe mess around with odd/new defenses and such.

I could make a Rithmatist character, though they might not be extremely active; I mostly focus on Aln for roleplay. Are you planning on starting a guild for Rithmatists?

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

I could make a Rithmatist character, though they might not be extremely active; I mostly focus on Aln for roleplay. Are you planning on starting a guild for Rithmatists?

Something like that, though it would be less involved- more of a large club than a guild.

I'd suggest probably just inventing some NPCs for that, I mean obviously player characters are nice too but it's a bit too niche of an area. Rithmatists are mostly useful against each other so we don't get too many of them. Inventing a local group in the city that's populated mostly by NPCs could give some nice flavour to an underused aspect of the AV.

3 hours ago, Voidus said:

I'd suggest probably just inventing some NPCs for that, I mean obviously player characters are nice too but it's a bit too niche of an area. Rithmatists are mostly useful against each other so we don't get too many of them. Inventing a local group in the city that's populated mostly by NPCs could give some nice flavour to an underused aspect of the AV.

Yeah, I'll do that. I would will like a small backbone of PCs- it's not going to hurt to ask, anyway.

22 hours ago, Voidus said:

Anyway, would a small, mostly NPC guild like this warrant it's own thread or would it be a background thing only called upon when needed?

On 8/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, AmazingGoob said:

Anyway, would a small, mostly NPC guild like this warrant it's own thread or would it be a background thing only called upon when needed?

Depends on how many people are in it / how frequently they'd be involved as a group as opposed to just members of that group. If you expect/hope for significant interaction as a group then make it its own thread.

This is closer to a story than a game, generally - you can have your character do jobs and stuff like you would IRL. As long as you don’t go spending crazily, more than it’s reasonable to have, you can just say you have enough money for what you need unless you want to RP someone low on cash. 

On 8/24/2020 at 5:10 PM, Voidus said:

Depends on how many people are in it / how frequently they'd be involved as a group as opposed to just members of that group. If you expect/hope for significant interaction as a group then make it its own thread.

Alright. I'll leave it threadless, for now.

• 2 weeks later...