• Dalinar
    • Jasnah
    • Elhokar
    • Aesudan
    • Evi
    • Adolin
    • Renarin
    • Gavinor

OK. I don't understand you people. Adolin is clearly the best. 

Dalinar: We literally know he would have ended up an even worse brutal murdering dictator in the future if a God hadn't intervened. Even if he's older than we think, whatever else we discover about him, left to his own devices in the world we know him, it literally took divine intervention to make him potentially cooler than Adolin. Part of what makes him cool is that he knows he's not as cool as what Adolin aspires to be. It's almost part of his character that he's not as cool as Adolin.

Gavilar: Wanted to bring back the old gods of the Parshendi. Total ends over means guy. And by this I mean that even assuming his end was benevolent, he focused so much on that end that he was blinded to the possibility of achieving it morally. 

Jasnah: Gavilar with a chest, powers, and a much bigger brain. I love Jasnah.

Elhokar: His being inferior to Adolin is part of the point of his existence.

Renarin: Potentially has the opportunity to prove himself as cool or cooler than Adolin by successfully overcoming his difficulties. It's possible he's on the road to being as cool or cooler than Adolin. Currently not cooler.

Navani: Navani is the only other legitimate contender here. That's all I'll say.

Aesudan: Evil.

Evi: You have to choose good to be really good and awesome. Evi was brought up good. So she never had a chance to be evil. And she's not powerful or smart. So she's infinitely lovable but not cooler than Adolin.

Gavinor: Insufficient information.

Dalinar is the best. But I voted for Evi. 

Because: She raised Adolin and Renarin. Both of them were adepts! She is simply good. She married Dalinar when he was an cremhole brute (I love that Dalinar) and she deserves credit for that. And she was Dalinars wife, guys.

Define "Best"?

Elhokar: was exactly what he appeared to be in many ways, which few others can claim.  He was honest but as self-centered as you often expect one that was raised on a throne.

Renarin: Really, REAALLY wants to do good, and is arguably the most selfless of the bunch. 

Evi: Was trying to do good and be good and make others better, and paid for it. But also sort of blundered into political matters outside her expertise and didnt exactly make much better.

Adolin: One of the most classic-style "Good Guys"...except for that thing he did that time...

Jasnah, Navani, and Dalinar are all mostly aware of their faults and generally working to make them better (or reign them in to be less detrimental) but I cant really count those on that sort of redemption track to be the "Best".

I think Im going Renarin for the Best character right now.  Of course, if "Best" means who is the most formidable and could take the rest down if they wanted to, my money is on Jasnah; she's the Batman of this little Justice League. 

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

Adolin: One of the most classic-style "Good Guys"...except for that thing he did that time...

Which is still arguably good, as there was nothing legal that could be done. 

An unjust system cannot always be dealt with by following the law. 

3 hours ago, Quantus said:

Define "Best"?

I think Im going Renarin for the Best character right now.  Of course, if "Best" means who is the most formidable and could take the rest down if they wanted to, my money is on Jasnah; she's the Batman of this little Justice League. 

I think what best means in this place varies for each person. Best could be kindest, most formidable as you said, funniest, combination there of. Whatever you perceive as best.

Let's be honest. That thing that Adolin did, had to be done and I'm glad it was Adolin. Everyone else would have had some sort of existential crisis over it! Except maybe Jasnah which brings me to my next observation of your comparison @Quantus. Jasnah is totally the Batman of the group and would kick everyone's rump in a battle of wits, strength and skill but Navani is still my version of best. I mean her fabrials to begin with! So subtle you don't even see it coming!

Edited to add...

Dalinar and Jasnah are neck and neck in the lead!

Edited by BrightnessSamantha

The scene in Shadesmar where Adolin is subtly doing everything he can to help a near-catatonic Kaladin keep going was heartwarming (keeping an eye on him, not letting him be the last in line, helping to carry his stuff, trying to invite him into conversations by playing dumb on certain topics, not calling him out him for being kind of a jerk etc.).  Adolin is just a wonderfully kind person.