Tension on the Horizon

Lord Meeker

Questionnaire  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Did you participate in Calm Before the Storm?

2. 2. Are you going to participate in Phase 2: TotH?

3. 3. Did you enjoy reading or participating in Phase 1: CBtS

• It was excellent! :D
    • It was good! :)
    • It was okay :l
    • It was bad! :(
    • It was horrible! D:
    • I honestly had no clue what was going on

3 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

wait, mraize!? you cant just leave me!

I can and I will. :P

17 hours ago, I am Witless said:

Yzabet stumbled after Rhazien.

"Why are so many people chasing after us and trying to kill you again?" She called ahead with more sass then frustration.

"I'd rather talk about that later after we find out if we live to see another day." Rhazien said.

I think Mraize is going to post the new one at his leisure. Might I suggest not closing it right away this time? That way people at this location can wrap things up at their own pace, while Rhazien gets started at the next location (assuming he's going somewhere).

I believe we are awaiting Rhaizen's death.

Lopen saw Rhazien and smiled. Who better to bring about death than the personified concept itself? Lopen turned on the gift, and this time a nifty black robe appeared. He took out Rhaizen's hourglass and looked. The time was almost gone. Yᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴡɪsᴛᴇᴅ sᴏᴜʟ sʜᴀʟʟ ᴘᴇʀɪsʜ sᴏᴏɴ Rʜᴀɪᴢᴇɴ. I ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ sᴄʀᴇᴀᴍ ᴛʜɪs ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴇᴀʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʙʀᴀɪɴ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴊᴜsᴛ sᴄʀᴀᴍʙʟᴇ ɪᴛ. Tʜᴀᴛ ɪs ɪꜰ I ʜᴀᴅ ᴠᴏᴄᴀʟ ᴄʜᴏʀᴅs. It was funny how far the mighty fell. The Lopen of Death summoned a deck chair and reclined in it. No need to rush. That infection Rhaizen was going to crush.

Edited by LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian

@LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian, I will upvote e v e r y  s i n g l e  discworld Death reference. The lawn chair and use of a different font got you an upvote this time. :) And I like your pfp. Didn't realize that it was Death until just now

Also, I don't care what happens as long as Yzabet survives, though she can be beaten and cut up as much as is necessary. 

17 minutes ago, I am Witless said:

@LopenTheTwoArmedHerdazian, I will upvote e v e r y  s i n g l e  discworld Death reference. The lawn chair and use of a different font got you an upvote this time. :) And I like your pfp. Didn't realize that it was Death until just now

Also, I don't care what happens as long as Yzabet survives, though she can be beaten and cut up as much as is necessary. 

How could I not reference that legend? It would be a crime against my style of ffrp:D

Naemen staggered after Rhazien, soon running recklessly. They did not hear here, and her eyes began glowing beige. As she approached, she tackled him.

And felt her very cells burn off and die.

Rhazien and the other person he was with kept moving, not even acknowledging Naermen's attack except for a glance backward. 

She got up again, staggering after them once more, but because of the burning pain that had not yet left, she soon lost sight of them. She lost them...

'Well, that's that!' the voice said from above her head.

'Can... you... help?" she asked.

'Well, you couldn't do anything against him anyway, so maybe...' the voice said, sounding ponderous. "I wonder. would that be too OP? I wouldn't kill him, but still.... the Alleyverse's laws are strong...' The voice seemed to be talking to someone else. 'Would that be to OP to help?'

The Lopen of Death looked up at the thing, and smiled at his old friend. Hᴇʏ Gᴀɴᴄʜᴏ. Nɪᴄᴇ ᴏꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ᴊᴏɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀʀᴛʏ. Yᴏᴜ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ɴᴏ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴀᴛᴛᴀᴄᴋ. Tʜᴀᴛ sʜᴇ'ʟʟ ʜᴀs ʙᴀʀᴇʟʏ ᴀɴʏ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ʟᴇꜰᴛ. Aɴᴅ ɪꜰ ʜᴇ ɪɢɴᴏʀᴇs ᴜs ᴛʜᴇɴ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴄᴀɴ ᴡᴇ ᴅᴏ? I ᴍɪɢʜᴛ ɢᴏ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴜᴅɪᴛᴏʀs ᴏꜰ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴛʏ ᴛᴏ ɢᴏ sᴛᴏʀᴍ ᴛʜᴇᴍsᴇʟᴠᴇs, ʙᴜᴛ I ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ʙᴇᴀʀ ᴇɴᴛᴇʀɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴇ Aʟʟᴇʏᴠᴇʀsᴇ. Jᴜsᴛ ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴀ ʙᴇɪɢᴇ sᴇᴀᴛ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ᴘʟᴀʏ sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ ᴡᴇ ᴡᴀɪᴛ ꜰᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʟᴋɪɴɢ ᴅᴇᴀᴅ ᴛᴏ ʀᴇᴄᴏɢɴɪsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴄʜᴀᴍᴘɪᴏɴ's ᴘᴏsᴛs. Hᴏᴡ's ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴄʜᴇss?

'I have to help,' the voice said. Naermen had no idea who or what it was talking too. 'If you tell me whether or not it would be too OP to reveal that Naermen can track people through a trail of beige in the air after touching them, then I'll play chess with you. Waddaya think?'

4 minutes ago, Gancho Libre said:

'I have to help,' the voice said. Naermen had no idea who or what it was talking too. 'If you tell me whether or not it would be too OP to reveal that Naermen can track people through a trail of beige in the air after touching them, then I'll play chess with you. Waddaya think?'

Iᴛ's ɴᴏᴛ ᴏᴘ. Yᴏᴜ ɢᴇᴛ ᴄʜᴏɪᴄᴇ ᴏꜰ ɢᴀᴍᴇ.

Rhazien smiled, pulling out the real hourglass with his name on it. It was draining, it was about a third of the way full at the top. He gritted his teeth ignoring the pain, and grinned. IT had been challenging to steal the real death timer from off of Lopen but he had done it. In his mind it was quite the feat.

"I have sent for help." He said. "It should arrive here soon."

Enter @Archer!

Mac sat back. This wasn't good, he had just checked the library and the only thing that could be explaining his recent memory loss was the copper decay of his memories.

Storms, Mack, how good is your memory? All right, I guess. Not perfect, but I tend to remember a lot more then other people. That must be it. It was well known that the better your memory, the slower the decay. For an Elantrian, or another person who has devoted their entire lives to memorizing stuff, this decay would be very slow, almost imperceptible. Now that he knew the problem, he knew what he needed to do to fix it. Either transfer his memories to someone with perfect memory, or keep on using copies of his memory until he could.

Mac moved over to the safe and grabbed a spare coppermind out of it. He might as well use one right now so he would know when his memories were fully developed. He started to drain the metalmind, but instead of getting a small kernel of new memory here or there, like he expected, he was greeted with a flood of small facts and tiny memories that he had forgotten. The memory loss had stolen more of his memories then he thought. He sat down to digest the news, stunned by the sudden flood of information that he had gained. This was more dire then he thought. He couldn't be making this many copperminds with his memories on them, it wasn't sustainable in the long run. Why would I do this? he asked himself. He thought back to the moments when he had discoverd . He thought he had found a way to escape death, to beat the vice that gripped all living things. But he had failed. He should have seen it from the beginning. Transferring his memories just transferred his experiences. Not his spiritual aspect. The only reason that he felt alive was because Mack's mind was interpreting them as two separate beings. He had already died, this was just a pale imitation remaining.

Mace hated travel. It was so slow. Having to spend the last week listening to an annoying young Worldhopper with too much energy hadn't helped. But at least it had paid off. He was finally at his destination. Dragging his weary feet, he rounded the top of the small hill. Rhazien stood waiting at its summit, a smirk on his face.

"You're getting slow old man,"  Rhazien taunted.

Mace tried to think of a witty response, but the best he could come up with was, "You try storing health and walking a half-marathon. Right painful on the knees it is."

Finally he arrived next to him. With a thump, he placed down the chest he had been carrying. 

"Alright then, lets get this over with." Mace reached into the chest and pulled out some items. "I've got the Tia cards obviously. That'll get us out of the area. Then all we have to do is hop to the safehouse. It's a little cold at my cabin, so you'll need this coat." He offered the coat to Rhazien, then hesitated, realizing the man was already pretty warmly dressed. "I've got some cash for bribes, some extra metalminds, and to cover our exit I've prepared this little guy!" He pulled a baby chull out. It appeared to be covered in hot sauce and chocolate chips. 

Rhazien looked confused. "How's that supposed to cover our escape?" he asked.

"Oh, it's not this guy that'll do it. It's what he attracts. They should arrive any minute now. And when it does-" Mace let out a low whistle, envisioning the destruction that would occur as the bait is chased. It was not going to be pretty. "Anyway, must be going now. Hopefully everyone will be too distracted to follow you ha ha." 

Mace stared at the horizon for a moment, before turning back to Rhazien. "But don't let my calm demeanor fool you. We need to leave now."

Everyone knows that dinosaurs make good distractions. While Mace has never actually seen one, he's pretty confident they'll be ferocious. Rawr.

"I agree we need to leave, let the world know that you are a monster for use a baby chill as b-"a roar cut Rhazien off. 

It was a roar he recognized. He cursed. 

"The thing you attracted is something we don't want to tangle with," he explained. "You attracted one of my early experiments. I attempt to enlarge a nightmaw with strength and other abilities the koloss have. It went horribly wrong. It grew about fifty stories high and is in constant state of bloodlust."

With that he activated his card but not before seeing the stars be blotted out. 

Lopen was annoyed. It was understandable that a confidence trickster like Rhazien would lie about his hourglass to others, but to himself? Lopen had specifically killed the last member of a greatshell species to make the man's hourglass. The leftover gamheart he crushed and then used as sand. It was impossible to fake. But as a new Death Lopen had misinterpreted it slightly. Rhaizen had a month or two left. That was too long. Lopen walked over to where Mace had been standing and picked up a fallen Aon Tia card. He knew where they went. As usual Mace had been inventive with his bunker choices; who knew that the bunker where Lopen had placed a hungry eldritch horror but an hour ago? It was trained to obey DA commands, but other than that would rip anything it saw in half. Mouse Death appeared in front of Lopen notifying him that Mraize had had his non infected arm ripped off. Good.

While chasing after Rhazien, Soul crashed into a gigantic bird like monster. It roared and Soul’s very bones vibrated. 

“Alright Death beast.” Prepare to die today.”

Mraize, take control of your monster, I want to kill it.

Naermen ran, panting to the spot where the beige trail ended. Well, no, it didn't end, it went straight up. "Um..." she said.

'Here, wait a sec,' came the voice. 'I'll shift my consciousness to follow it, see where it goes, and I'll get ya there. Happy?'

"Great1" she exclaimed. Ever since she had learned that her tackling fiasco hadn't been a complete waste, she was in lighter spirits. The voice didn't reply, so Naermen suspected it had already moved on.

'Found it!' Naermen began glowing beige. She smiled. For some reason, this teleporting didn't hurt one bit.

She closed her eyes.