[Theory] Skybreakers must die

Windrunning

My theory is that to become a Skybreaker, you must first die and then be revived (like what happened to Szeth). This could also mean that Helaran would be alive and might have even gotten himself killed on purpose in the hopes he would become one.

It could also explain this in some small part :

"The considerable abilities of the Skybreakers for making such amounted to an almost divine skill, for which no specific Surge or spren grants capacity, but however the order came to such an aptitude, the fact of it wads real and acknowledged even by their rivals. -From Words of Radiance, chapter 28, page 3"

Please leave me your thoughts!

My theory is that to become a Skybreaker, you must first die and then be revived (like what happened to Szeth). This could also mean that Helaran would be alive and might have even gotten himself killed on purpose in the hopes he would become one.

Improbable, stormlight resurrection is only possible before the brain dies. Heleran would have sat on the battlefield for a long time surrounded by people who would have noticed if he was taken away. Also Amaran would have noticed if his would-be assassin was missing.

It would be an interesting point of uniqueness if all Skybreakers are zombies. I personally doubt this is the case, however.

I think Nalan simply recruits members that already have considerable aptitude and ability. Szeth got revived because his talent (specifically in swordplay and use of gravitation surge) has already been scouted.

Edited by Jeiel

I agree with you jeiel that Nalan simply recruits members for his personal order, that is separate from

the KR, witch requires a Nahel bond.

But Szeth cant be a skybreaker since he do not have bond with a spren, and the fact that he is given a shardblade

(nightblood) proves it for my part.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but each honor blade grants the wielder access to specific surges only. If I'm right Szeth won't be using gravitation surges in the future.

The thing with Gravity is most likely based on the assumption that he will become a Skybreaker, which is still somewhat farefetched given that we don´t know if Nalan´s group of Skybreakers (or how I like to call them Order of the brocken sky) are Surgebinders and if the Surge manifest the same way for them.

Nalan is insane. I don't think he wants real Skybreakers to arise, and I'm half convinced that should they do so he would reject them if he couldn't find a legal reason to kill them. Nalan appears to approve of Szeth because Szeth is willing to do whatever is required of his honor regardless of the personal cost to Szeth himself. The fact that Szeth is eating himself up from the inside and slowly going insane is just further proof to Nalan that Szeth is the right man for the job. The biggest bonus for Nalan about Szeth is that Szeth in NOT a surgebinder. With Nightblood at his command Szeth will be unstoppable...until Rysn shows up with her Larkin anyways.

Nalan is insane. I don't think he wants real Skybreakers to arise...

...The biggest bonus for Nalan about Szeth is that Szeth in NOT a surgebinder...

You're right. I made the assumption he wanted to train real, Knight-Radiant-type Skybreakers. Which was wrong. I had to reread the interlude with Lift to find this part after he caught her the second time:

Lift: "You... you coulda hunted big crime bosses, murderers. You chose me instead. Why?"

Darkness: "Others may be detestable, but they do not dabble in arts that could return Desolation to this world." His words were so cold. "What you are must be stopped."

So, he's a Radiant-hunter, having also killed Ym. His minions seem to be simple, ordinary thugs, like the one that slit Gawx's throat. Reviving Szeth and taking him in is likely a unique event and not regular recruitment procedure.

The epigraph is regarding real Skybreakers(Radiants). Nalan's group is not the Skybreakers(only in name). Edited by xbauks

But the (re)growth power does allow people to come back to life, no?  At least that seems to be the case with Lift bringing the nephew back to life.

It doesn't say she brought him back to life. We don't know how Dead he was. I'd guess Regroeth allows resurrection in the same way that Defibrilators do(Well, the same timespan anyway...), but with the added ability to heal/stabilize wounds that wuld nullify a defibrilators usefullness.

I hadn't really thought about the fact the Nalan wasn't actually leading some KR. I assumed that the "one order that didn't abandon mankind" was the Skybreakers but the more I think about it the more I think it was probably Taln's order. Oops...

I hadn't really thought about the fact the Nalan wasn't actually leading some KR. I assumed that the "one order that didn't abandon mankind" was the Skybreakers but the more I think about it the more I think it was probably Taln's order. Oops...

Can't be the Stonewards either. They broke their Bond with the Windrunners at Feverstone Keep.

I thought they were talking about the Skybreakers ability to find criminals and follow the law. The epigraph before this one talks about the Skybreakers splitting up a group into criminals and innocents.

I agree. Here are the two epigraphs. They're on the same page of the in-world book too:

There came also sixteen of the order of Windrunners, and with them a considerable number of squires, and finding in that place the Skybreakers dividing the innocent from the guilty, there ensued a great debate.

—From Words of Radiance, chapter 28, page 3

The considerable abilities of the Skybreakers for making such amounted to an almost divine skill, for which no specific Surge or spren grants capacity, but however the order came to such an aptitude, the fact of it was real and acknowledged even by their rivals.

—From Words of Radiance, chapter 28, page 3

Edited by Morsk

I thought the quote referred to Skybreakers being exquisite engineers/fabrial makers or something, but I admit my command of English might be failing me here.

Someone somewhere suggested that they have an intuitive sense of the guilt or innocence of someone. I like this theory, as it would seem like a divine ability indeed (unnerving to say the least) and would fit in very well with the Just/Confident attribute.

Someone somewhere suggested that they have an intuitive sense of the guilt or innocence of someone. I like this theory, as it would seem like a divine ability indeed (unnerving to say the least) and would fit in very well with the Just/Confident attribute.

This certainly would fit nicely the Order. I suppose we'll have to wait and see. But it's good to know I haven't missed something obvious and there are different ways to read the said quote. 

Szeth isn't really a skybreaker.  He is part of Nalen's little posse of constables with shards and Szeth has a powerful weapon but he has no highspren bonded to him.  The heralds could not pick who got to join their orders, the spren chose their bond mates on their own with no direction from the heralds.  Nale chose Szeth because Szeth loved following the rules and had his own code of honor.  I think it is highly unlikely that Nale himself would meet the requirements to become a true Skybreaker at this point.  My guess is that being a skybreaker has to do with what is just not just what the law says.  Nale is embracing unjust laws not meet has own personal goals and is therefor betraying the true nature of the Skybreakers.

My guess is that being a skybreaker has to do with what is just not just what the law says.  Nale is embracing unjust laws not meet has own personal goals and is therefor betraying the true nature of the Skybreakers.

Syl implies that the highspren care a lot about what the law says, so I'm not entirely sure that Nalan wouldn't qualify. I think his killing of Surgebinders and selectively applying the law might be what the problem is. Lift tells him there's plenty of bad people who broke the law that he's not going after.

I'd say that the inherent "ability" Skybreakers have would be their resolve.

The main attribute that Szeth displayed was his resolve to never, under any circumstance, break the law (As he viewed it).

I'm still wondering if Nin/Naln is still against Odium. You can't say he killed KR, because those people simply had abilities. They were no radiants. I'm confused as to what his potential goals might be.

Nalen does need to Die  -   Per what he said to Lift - He does not (Actually) care about the Law, he is obviously just using it as an excuse.     Destination BEFORE Journey type of thing.    He is just using the Law as a one man Kangaroo Court in an attempt to stop a Desolution, which is not the intent of any law that he is suposedly upholding.

The same for Ym.      Nalen is more of a murder that Ym, because it is obvious that Ym was an unwiting pawn used to kill that person.    There is no culability, he just delivered a package like a postman.     Ym would never have been found guilty and most any reasonable Legal system, except for Nalen's Kangaroo Court.