[OB] Oathbringer chapters 31 & 32

Mestiv

57 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

Are you in America? If so, I wouldn't bother. Stores try to adhere to actual release dates. Your best bet would be to check stores that are not book stores but would still carry one of the most anticipated books of the year because they're more likely to not be paying attention (you know, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.), but the chances are still very slim. It's also possible that a delivery truck will take a curve too fast and a box of Oathbringer copies will tumble out to land at our feet. That is only a little less likely than you finding the one store in thousands that accidentally messed up the release date. 

Walmart is very strict on release dates. The computer system does not let you sell items before release date. 

4 hours ago, PunSpren said:

It may be pedantic but the difference between spren bonding, and voidspren fusing I think is significant!

Of course it probably has to do with the parshmen's connection to the cognitive realm, but still! 

Fusing....

It opens up a lot more ideas,

And voidlight, where is its source of investiture coming from!!!

I think, from the oathbringer prologue, we can infer that the listeners change form by capturing a spren inside their gemheart.

The typical parshendi transformations seemed to involve non-sapient regular-spren.

The storm form transformation seemed to involve a non-sapient odium-spren.

I'm guessing that a "Fused" is a listener/parshman whose gemhart contains a sapient odium-spren.

The term fused would seem to indicate that they are no longer two separate entities, as with a nahel bond, but a single being formed from a fusion of two sentient beings.

At least, that's my interpretation... but I would be interested if a stormform listener was considered one of the 'fused'

Edited by Bcknight2

57 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

Are you in America? If so, I wouldn't bother. Stores try to adhere to actual release dates. Your best bet would be to check stores that are not book stores but would still carry one of the most anticipated books of the year because they're more likely to not be paying attention (you know, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.), but the chances are still very slim. It's also possible that a delivery truck will take a curve too fast and a box of Oathbringer copies will tumble out to land at our feet. That is only a little less likely than you finding the one store in thousands that accidentally messed up the release date. 

No :( I'm in Europe and I've seen/heard about people from at least 3 countries finding it earlier in bookstores. I went to almost half of the bookstores in Stockholm so far and asked friends from 4 different countries to look for it, but so far I had no luck. I shouldn't have read this week's chapters, now it's going to be even more painful :blink:

1 hour ago, mariapapadia said:

Thank you:( it was all for nothing ofcourse!! I think it wouldn't have been that bad if i didn t know people where getting it earlier! Now I feel like it s possible and i have to search all the bookstores. I can't really focuson anything else :(

I've called all the bookstores within 10 miles of me after seeing all the people in Europe getting theirs early, to no avail. One local bookstore said they had several copies, then put me on hold to go track them down, and the next thing I know the manager is on the phone informing me I can pick up a copy on November 14 -_-

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Anybody know who won those ARCs from twitter?

I am curious to hear as well, there was 1 from Twitter, 1 from Facebook, 1 from Instagram, and 2 random newsletter subscribers. I would like to at least know the winners have been contact so I'm not sitting here wondering for the rest of the day! Haha. 

1 minute ago, JPark317 said:

I've called all the bookstores within 10 miles of me after seeing all the people in Europe getting theirs early, to no avail. One local bookstore said they had several copies, then put me on hold to go track them down, and the next thing I know the manager is on the phone informing me I can pick up a copy on November 14 -_-

I am curious to hear as well, there was 1 from Twitter, 1 from Facebook, 1 from Instagram, and 2 random newsletter subscribers. I would like to at least know the winners have been contact so I'm not sitting here wondering for the rest of the day! Haha. 

Same! I've been sitting all day at work, refreshing my email, hoping I will win something for once in my life ! Dissapointment is all I've got! 

3 minutes ago, mariapapadia said:

Same! I've been sitting all day at work, refreshing my email, hoping I will win something for once in my life ! Dissapointment is all I've got! 

Well, the good news is that it's only a week away. Then the countdown resets, and there's no new Stormlight until... I'm predicting early 2021, but who knows?

Even though Shallan's all grown up now, I'm glad she still has Palona to bring her tea and blankets. It's always nice to have a Palona.

Funny thing about checking local bookstores for the book... when I called the local Walmart, the lady had never heard of it so she looked it up online. She then proceeded to tell me they probably wouldn't carry it because they don't sell books that look that cool. :D All of the other book sellers have it in stock but won't sell it early. I begged, but no luck, woe is me.

We should have known (or guessed) this already, but one of the bigger takeaways from chapters 29, 30 and 31is that our heroes have just barely scratched the surface of what their powers can do. 

And that’s not even considering what they might be able to do with Shardplate. 

Shallan making an army of light, Kaladin manipulating the wind. Lightweavers and Windrunners indeed...

@WhiteLeeopard and @DSC01

Not according to the Ars Arcanum at the end of both WoK and WoR. Pulling the arrows to his shield and bridge was Gravity, manipulating the gravitation field around the object he was touching to have things attracted to it rather than the planet below. 

Theres the possibility that this is wrong and we are being misled (via unreliable narrator), but I can’t fathom why, as it doesn’t really make a difference which surge is responsible, other than whether Dalinar or Nale can do it. 

Edited by Jaconis

4 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

I think most of what he did on tWoK was Adhesion. Climbing walls with rocks, adhering arrows to his shield, etc.

For the arrows that he pulled towards his shield and the bridge, he was using a Reverse Lashing that essentially gives whatever he is touching its own gravitational pull. The details for this can be found in the back of the books, which I don't have on me at the moment or I would give you some quotes.

But, he was definitely using gravitation at this point. Youre right about the walls and rocks though. That was definitely adhesion.

3 hours ago, Calderis said:

Shallan was speculating as to what it could have been. I do not believe that the unmade were "almost certainly people." I just think they were something before being corrupted. 

I still stand by that something being the Dawnsingers. 

Oooh, I love this theory. 

1 hour ago, mariapapadia said:

No :( I'm in Europe and I've seen/heard about people from at least 3 countries finding it earlier in bookstores. I went to almost half of the bookstores in Stockholm so far and asked friends from 4 different countries to look for it, but so far I had no luck. I shouldn't have read this week's chapters, now it's going to be even more painful :blink:

1 hour ago, JPark317 said:

Don't think that just because there are a few lucky people (or trolls) it is the norm. I live in europe, italy to be exact, and I can't find sanderbooks anywhere, translated or in original llanguage.

Heck, Last weekend I went to lucca comics and games, which is probably the biggest convention in italy, with up to 80000 people participating in a single day, and people asked me to get sanderbooks for them. And I was all 'yeah, that's easy, you can find everything at luccacomics, and sanderson is even famous'. And yeah, turned out, if I wanted any marvel comic from 50 years ago, I could have gotten a full collection. If I wanted any comic from bonelli editore (which I suppose few people outside of italy know, but it's a bit like marvel here), I could buy more copies than I knew were in existance. There were full stands of most book publisshers too, huge fantasy libraries. And of sanderson, I found exactly 6 books. Elantris, rithmatist, mistborn 3 and 4, calamity and firefight. I got elantris, and found that there are no drawings of aons. The puboishers saw fit to remove them; maybe they were too expensive to print :angry:? I already know they removed random artworks from other sanderbooks.

I order everything on internet. I will read oathbringer weeks after you other guys, and in the meantime this forum will be offlimits. don't even start complaining about failing to get the book early.

12 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I order everything on internet. I will read oathbringer weeks after you other guys

Would it be faster if I bought you a copy and shipped it? Or maybe the Kindle version? Or... I WANT TO HELP! Is there anything we can do to get you the book faster?

18 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Would it be faster if I bought you a copy and shipped it? Or maybe the Kindle version? Or... I WANT TO HELP! Is there anything we can do to get you the book faster?

I agree with CaptainRyan.  How can we assist?  I might be able to setup my Amazon account to ship to Italy...

43 minutes ago, muco said:

reading what Kaladin did, I get the feeling that  it's  not something Windrunners could do.

is there something else at play?

I didn't get that sense, myself. It may be a special power that not all Windrunners have, but I think we may find that this is par for the course. That is, when Shallan meets another Lightweaver, (s)he will look at Shallan's abilities and be like, "No, I can't do any of that, but I can do this..." and then bust out some feat that we had no idea was possible with their Surges.

41 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Don't think that just because there are a few lucky people (or trolls) it is the norm. I live in europe, italy to be exact, and I can't find sanderbooks anywhere, translated or in original llanguage.

Heck, Last weekend I went to lucca comics and games, which is probably the biggest convention in italy, with up to 80000 people participating in a single day, and people asked me to get sanderbooks for them. And I was all 'yeah, that's easy, you can find everything at luccacomics, and sanderson is even famous'. And yeah, turned out, if I wanted any marvel comic from 50 years ago, I could have gotten a full collection. If I wanted any comic from bonelli editore (which I suppose few people outside of italy know, but it's a bit like marvel here), I could buy more copies than I knew were in existance. There were full stands of most book publisshers too, huge fantasy libraries. And of sanderson, I found exactly 6 books. Elantris, rithmatist, mistborn 3 and 4, calamity and firefight. I got elantris, and found that there are no drawings of aons. The puboishers saw fit to remove them; maybe they were too expensive to print :angry:? I already know they removed random artworks from other sanderbooks.

I order everything on internet. I will read oathbringer weeks after you other guys, and in the meantime this forum will be offlimits. don't even start complaining about failing to get the book early.

ohhh! I would've given you an upvote for simphaty, but I'm out :( I honestly don't know how you could make it for so long ! Like @CaptainRyan said, I would probably buy a kindle just to order the e book version. Heck! At this point, I am also thinking to get the e book version so I can have it at 12 and then go buy the actual book on the day of the release. I understand your struggle very well though. I am from Romania and we never got the books on the release day ( I think the only exception was the last Harry Potter maybe). I always had to order them and the shipping is most of the time, more expensive then the actual book. I think the stars aligned so that I will be somewhere where I can actually get the book on the release day, I should actually be greatful for that. 

I know this sounds like a first world problem/ attention seeking thing, but I honestly don't know how am I going to survive until the next week. I have always been  all over the place, with my mind in 10 different directions, but today I was running through the city with a semi-functional leg, bumping into people, I went into a glass door because I didn't see it there,I almost fell down the stairs not looking where I was going because I was just to distracted after I read the chapters. My friend had to pull me out of the bike lane because I wasn't looking where I was going. Next wednesday I have a big deadline, which means I have to work overtime on Tuesday(!!!!) and the only thing I can focus now when it comes to work is how to find a plausible excuse not to go, after I already told everyone that my book is coming out next week. I am supposed to be a functioning adult, but I just stress ate a full chocolate reading through the comments. 

My sister sent me a video of me, when I was about 12 crying and screaming 2 days before the Harry Potter and the Half Blood prince release and 13 years later not much has changed when it comes to this . I just need to get back to my normal self, because now I feel like I am on another planet. I am either extremely happy or stressed.  I've honestly don't remember if I ever was this excited about something. 

This reply doesn't have much to do with your stuggle, but I am just a rambling mess :blink:

Edited by mariapapadia

What those chapters lacked in length, they certainly made up for in awesomeness!! I'm going to miss reading through all the speculation every week, but it means I'll actually get things done on Wednesday mornings. Really not sure how I'm going to make it through the next week (or however long the copy I bought takes to arrive) though.