[OB] Amaram as the Preface Author

Blightsong

With the titular sword making an appearance this week, and who it was given to, I thought would be start to analyze Amaram as the Oathbringer author. Lets run through some of these:

Epigraphs that fit Amaram

"I know that many women who read this will see it only as further proof that I am the godless heretic everyone claims."

We know that Amaram has done some things that could be considered heresy. He disobeyed Alethi code on who aquisition of Shards, writes despite being a man, and seems to have helped/tried to help Voidbringers return to Roshar. I would say he holds some heretical views, but obviously some more of what hes done will have to be made common knowledge before he hypothetically writes this.

"In this record, I hold nothing back. I will try not to shy away from difficult topics, or paint myself in a dishonestly heroic light."

Amaram, certainly has a history of painting himself in a dishonest light, so I could see him addressing this if he was to write Oathbringer.

"I will confess my murders before you. Most painfully, I have killed someone who loved me dearly."

This is a bit of a stretch, but he has had people who looked up to him heavily murdered, and that actually is a piece of info that is well known.

"Finally, I will confess my humanity. I have been named a monster, and do not deny those claims. I am the monster that I fear we all can become."

I could only see this being written if Amaram get a wake up call and realizes that hes messed up, both in what he did to Kaladin and what he did as a Son of Honor.

Conclusion

I still think a few other characters seem much more likely candidates, but him having inherited the sword is certainly points in his favor. For him to be the author i think he would have to be a surprise tertiary character with some kind of arc, but that is a possibility. Part two, according to Brandon, has some new viewpoint characters and is largely character driven/slower paced. I'm hyped to finally finish this set of long winded epigraphs next week.

Ehhhhh.... I get the sense that the author's heresy is a big deal. Most notably is the apparent rub he has with the ardents.

Amaram may not be a Vorin saint, but he's so committed to the Vorin Church that he wants to bring back the Desolations just so that the church can be put back into power.

That's a heavy argument against Amaram in my book. :)

Also, Amaram hasn't inherited Oathbringer. We don't know who he and Ialai will give it too yet. Since I am a fan of Amaram (Amaram fan club is pretty empty btw, we are looking for members...) I like the idea, but @jofwu is making a good point. He wouldn't call himself a heretic. A sinner, maybe, but not a heretic. 

My money is still on the Sunmaker himself. He owned Oathbringer, attempted to unify Alethkar through war and was Gavilar's personal historical role model. He also was largely responsible for ending the Hierarchy and breaking up the Vorin church into separate devotaries. As to who he killed who loved him, we don't know his entire story yet.

The title books have all been written by long dead authors so far, so I suspect the author won't be any currently living characters, but I may be wrong.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Amaram as the Preface Author
  • Chaos locked this topic