[OB] Inside cover art!! Finally!

Overlord Jebus

5 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

Well keep in mind guys as in-world paintings these probably don't even look exactly like the real characters themselves. I won't go on because I believe this conversation has already been had in this thread, just wanted to remind.

Yeah.. I don't want to bring that up again. I think for me it's mostly the graphic style. I usually prefer something more simple, where the surroundings complement the character and I feel in the new ones everything is a bit too much, not that I don't appreciate all the details and efort put into them. 

If you look at the artist's other work, he focuses on classic religious paintings (see his website here), and these definitely have that feel. The Vedel one has a more Eastern Hindu or Buddhist Goddess feel with the circular window in the background framing her head, and the Jezrien one looks like standard Western religious art with the golden clouds and deep rich colors. I prefer the more cosmic style of the first two paintings (I love anything with planets, moons, stars, eclipses, etc), but I understand the religious symbology of the second two makes sense for depicting heralds. I imagine that a lot of in-world art might look like that.

8 minutes ago, Starla said:

If you look at the artist's other work, he focuses on classic religious paintings (see his website here), and these definitely have that feel. The Vedel one has a more Eastern Hindu or Buddhist Goddess feel with the circular window in the background framing her head, and the Jezrien one looks like standard Western religious art with the golden clouds and deep rich colors. I prefer the more cosmic style of the first two paintings (I love anything with planets, moons, stars, eclipses, etc), but I understand the religious symbology of the second two makes sense for depicting heralds. I imagine that a lot of in-world art might look like that.

Yea I can totally see this. These really feel like religious paintings with so many details. The original two had a very Magic Card feel I also love. Just like our world, there would be many depictions of the heralds. I would love to have all ten heralds depicted in both styles. 

I hope we eventually get art like this for the other 6, would be great updates for Coppermind. Ishar is for sure my favorite, it's just so much more vivid for me compared to the others. Though I do like the mask concept with Ash and the parallel with Shallan's different identities.  

Really liking the artbut I agree with some others that the first ones seems I dunno more SA’ish. Still beautiful and Jerzien is a good looking dude but not what I was expecting of course I know these are in-world. 

I get the keys but the compass? 

Also I didn’t know this wasn’t fact that Jerzien was the leaders of the KR until it was pointed out in another thread (it’s kinda circumstantial evidence left for interpretation he was a king just not necessarily the king of the Radiants). He looks pretty regal here. 

Edit- Long day I meant leader of Heralds not Radiants. 

Edited by StormingTexan

7 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Really liking the artbut I agree with some others that the first ones seems I dunno more SA’ish. Still beautiful and Jerzien is a good looking dude but not what I was expecting of course I know these are in-world. 

I get the keys but the compass? 

Also I didn’t know this wasn’t fact that Jerzien was the leaders of the KR until it was pointed out in another thread (it’s kinda circumstantial evidence left for interpretation he was a king just not necessarily the king of the Radiants). He looks pretty regal here. 

I thought in the Prelude of WoK it said something along the lines of "regal even though he hadn't worn a crown in centuries" and then in the prelude the Herald(maybe Kelek) talking to Naln says "he carries my lord's blade" which would point to the Honorblade Szeth has which is Jerzien's. Could be wrong though, and it's worded different. 

But I agree on the SA feel on the first two compared to Vedel and Jerzien. The first two are much more vivid and pop out at you more. They seem more significant and powerful for some reason.

I totally messed up what I said above I meant leader of Heralds not KR.. 

Yes what you said above and also Kalak calls him King of Heralds or something like that but that could mean a King and a Herald not nessesarialy the Leader of the Heralds which seems like it would be Ishar.

2 minutes ago, Asrael said:

Ohhhhhh!!!!

DNF03QgWkAAF4D9.png

*From Brandon's Twitter

How amazing is this books art so far. Brandon Sanderson just outdoes himself with every stormlight book. We  haven't even seen any of the art inside the book yet. I  hoping for some sketches of  Dalinar anf Adolin in thier uniforms. The Herald that looks like a king in armor is awesome

2 hours ago, paperstones said:

With the circle of gems and the stained glass matching what is the significance of the inner gems? There is small purple and green gems with a larger blue one. At first I thought it was related to their respective order but they both have the same colors.

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be the three moons. It matches with their descriptions; Nomon is blue and the biggest moon, Mishim is green and the middle sized one, and Salas is violet and the smallest.

15 minutes ago, Mistbinder said:

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be the three moons. It matches with their descriptions; Nomon is blue and the biggest moon, Mishim is green and the middle sized one, and Salas is violet and the smallest.

Do we know if the moons were there before the Shards arrival? Or where they there prebreaking of Adonalsium?

2 hours ago, paperstones said:

With the circle of gems and the stained glass matching what is the significance of the inner gems? There is small purple and green gems with a larger blue one. At first I thought it was related to their respective order but they both have the same colors.

yea both the stained glass behind Vedel and on Jezriens belt have three inner circles within the ten that obviously represent the ten heralds/KR orders. Maybe those represent the moons or the three super spren that the Bondsmiths bond with?

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 8.32.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 8.32.20 PM.png

4 minutes ago, MPHRD said:

yea both the stained glass behind Vedel and on Jezriens belt have three inner circles within the ten that obviously represent the ten heralds/KR orders. Maybe those represent the moons or the three super spren that the Bondsmiths bond with?

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 8.32.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 8.32.20 PM.png

http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Moons

The colors match up pretty well for the 3 moons: blue, green and violet.