What makes Ryshadium special?

JamHeretic

We know there are instances of animal/spren combinations. We know that spren are related to intelligence/Cognitive aspects. Even if the Shin don't have any spren (that we know about), the horses, once brought to the Highstorm area of Roshar could bond with spren in a random manner, thus producing semi-sentient horses. 

Even if these horses have gemhearts, which I doubt, there is no reason to think that a gemheart has anything to do with making a creature more intelligent than others/normal. Greatshells don't seem to be all that intelligent and they have massive gemhearts! They also have spren bonds, but I think they are going to be different spren than are bonding with the Rysadium

Oh bother. I totally forgot that there aren't spren (that we know of, anyway) in Shinovar. That's a pretty big hole in my theory.

I think I'll ask Brandon at the Seattle signing :-D

• 3 weeks later...

WoB from the Seattle signing is that "Investiture is involved". So... maybe? At least we know it's not natural.

I wouldn't say we "know" it isn't natural.  Investiture is a "natural" part of the cosmere.  Greatshells have bonds with spren, which are investiture, that allow them to grow to such large sizes but I wouldn't say that was "un"-natural.  What is natural for the cosmere is not necessarily what we would consider natural on Earth.

New to the forum (first post). Howdy peeps. I'm one of those crazy horse people that can't complain cuz Brandon created a super-horse, so I'm in love with this thread. I'm also in the middle of WoR, but I don't mind spoilers. 

Someone above mentioned the Reshi islands were intelligent due to bonding with spren. I'm thinking I must have missed that part. I thought they were intelligent simply because they were much-larger-than-normal greatshells? I'm going to have go back and re-read I guess.

Anyway- back to Ryshadium... In the WoK, there were a number of descriptions of the interactions between horse and rider that indicated sentience. Which, in addition to the Q&A someone posted earlier, leads me to think that the Ryshadium are their own species, or race, on that planet. The horse's personalities indicated not just anyone could ride them, and they didn't need to be handled like a normal horse. I sort of liken them to Shadowfax from LOTR. Sort of the Lords of common horses that only grant permission to certain people to ride them. That's my 2 cents. 

I think the scene where Dalanar is explain to his son that Ryshadium pick the worthy was a hint to some kind of bond. There's more then the steed being trained well. They do what their rider needs.. They remind me of the Ranyhyn in the Thomas Covenant series.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a line in WoR that says

-"Horses weren't terribly well known back then. Radiants had Ryshadium, but even kings had little access to ordinary horses" (chapter 25). Which would make me think that's it's spren-related, except we know that men without Nahel bonds ride Rhyshadium. It's theoretically possible that these are the same Rhyshadium the Radiants rode, but I'm pretty sure that if so their age would have been mentioned. So.... No new theories from me, but maybe a little useful information?

Edit: this also means that however Rhyshadium come to exist, it's not a new discovery.

Edited by Delightful

• 3 months later...

“TenSoon first ingested the hog to give himself extra mass, then molded his gel-like flesh around the horse to digest it as well. Within an hour he’d formed his body into a replica of the horse-but one with enhanced muscles and weight, creating the enormous, extra-strong marvel which Sazed now rode.”

Q: Are there kandra hiding in any of your books, besides the Mistborn ones?
B: Yes there are! [smugly] yes there are...

Thinking outside of the box ;)

I'm listening to the Audiobook of WoK right now and while listening to Dalinar interact with Gallant, I started to wonder if (for no good reason) Ryshadium could

metabolize food into stormlight the way Lift can.    This was mostly me coming from listening to the part where Dalinar was knocked off Gallant, immediately then he goes and is Awesome with full glowing plate.  But where did he get the stormlight to do that? 

Also along that theory, Gallant was fully healed a week later. (I just got past that part, I'm in my 3rd or 4th reread of WoK) 

Another thing that is possible is that Ryshadium are just a breed of horses that were incredibly well bred (Like a Clydesdale or similar huge horse)  by the KR and then ended up bonding with a spren. Because I want to see a Ryshadium in Shardplate horse armor.

Can you imagine the devastation of Shardplate wearing Radiants riding Ryshadium with Shardbarding into combat as heavy cavalry?? Bonded spren formed into Shardlances... *shudder* at the carnage which would ensue from that first wave of attacks. 

Say good bye... pretty much anything but Thunderclasts!

“TenSoon first ingested the hog to give himself extra mass, then molded his gel-like flesh around the horse to digest it as well. Within an hour he’d formed his body into a replica of the horse-but one with enhanced muscles and weight, creating the enormous, extra-strong marvel which Sazed now rode.”

Q: Are there kandra hiding in any of your books, besides the Mistborn ones?

B: Yes there are! [smugly] yes there are...

Thinking outside of the box ;)

This was my thought too, I really want this to be true so that Kal can get one with wings XD

Can you imagine the devastation of Shardplate wearing Radiants riding Ryshadium with Shardbarding into combat as heavy cavalry?? Bonded spren formed into Shardlances... *shudder* at the carnage which would ensue from that first wave of attacks. 

Say good bye... pretty much anything but Thunderclasts!

That brought a Supernatural quote to mind

when Bobby kills the Okami by  throwing her through the wood chipper and Rufus responds with, "well, I supposed wood chipper trumps... everything" That's essentially what full plate Calvary would be.  

• 1 month later...

Hi!

First post on here!

This is obviously not really relevant as far as the books go, but on a grander scale of how great a writer Brandon is, I find it rather interesting that Ryshadium choose their riders. There used to be warhorses that were called "Dextrarius", they are not neccessarily a breed of their own, but rather a quality of their own. Such a horse feels "sentient". Thus the whole "thing" about Ryshadium is brilliant.

Pelle

That brought a Supernatural quote to mind

when Bobby kills the Okami by  throwing her through the wood chipper and Rufus responds with, "well, I supposed wood chipper trumps... everything" That's essentially what full plate Calvary would be.  

My money is on Returned Awakened Golem made of sprenblades. Yeah.  

Please forgive me for a long post.

My idea on Ryshadium has to do with Roshar.  Roshar seems to be a place that is located very closely to shadesmar.  I think of the cosmere as a braid with 3 main parts.  Everywhere in the cosmere is composed of the three realms, but I think the braid is pulled tightest near Roshar, allowing traversal between the cognitive and physical realms for spren and humans.

Every type of idea literally lives on the physical plane here.  There is no other place like this (minus Sel, but i feel Seons are different.  They may be one type of idea that bonds an Elantran much like an honorspren bonds a windrunner.  Seons are the only spren type being that we see on Sel, but on Roshar there are spren for every idea.  Anger, fear, fire wind, bindspren.)

Back on track.

So this led me to wonder, if ideas can enter the world and bond with beings, due to the close proximity to shadesmar, maybe flesh and blood organisms can do something similar, on a smaller scale.  Maybe Ryshadium started off as horses originally, but due to the depth of care shown by their owners, they become something more.  Similar to how a puppy starts off as a normal dog, but eventually becomes a loyal companion who will be there for you through anything.  Dalinar and Adolin seem to genuinely love their horses and you can see it in the way that they care for them.  Out of all of the people in the books, only Adolin and Dalinar seem to care for their horses.  These horses respond to this and start to see themselves as THEIR horses.  Since Adolin and Dalinar see themselves as warriors, their horses see them as warhorses.  This leads to a deepening bond, which allows the horses to siphon sentience (and investiture) off of their riders, allowing them to change.

Phew

Note:  I figure some may say Adolin doesn't have extra investiture to siphon off, but he is bonded to a spren...a dead one.  This may confer a slight ability to infuse.  Considering how often he is in plate, he is essentially surrounded by investiture.

Phew

Note:  I figure some may say Adolin doesn't have extra investiture to siphon off, but he is bonded to a spren...a dead one.  This may confer a slight ability to infuse.  Considering how often he is in plate, he is essentially surrounded by investiture.

Do we know if Hatham is a shardbearer? It would bring credence to your theory if he was as he is the only other Ryshadium rider we know of.

I remember Brandon saying somewhere* that something that inspired him when he made the Knights Radiant was that a knight has three things: A sword, armor, and a steed. Those were almost his exact words.

We can see this play out even more when he starts showing us squires for the orders. (Doesn't surprise me that Windrunners have more squires than all the other orders.)

Edit: Oh yeah, the point of this was that the Ryshadium are probably special to the Knights Radiant and specifically bonded to each individual. What would be really cool is if horses were just a special case of this and we got to see some KR riding Chasmfiends into battle as their mounts!

Edited by Curiosity

Only thing I could find on Hatham

"...then rode toward a figure in resplendent Shardplate at the frotn of Hatham's army: the highprince himself, seated upon a Ryshadium" Words of Radiance, pg. 348 Kindle Edition

So he at least has Shardplate... tWoK doesn't seem to have much on him, other than that negotiation with the Makabaki

Only thing I could find on Hatham

So he at least has Shardplate... tWoK doesn't seem to have much on him, other than that negotiation with the Makabaki

I think there is a mention of Hatham in WoK by Sadeas... He jealously watches Hatham ride away on his Ryshadium and he pesters against the fact he does not have one. He also ponders on how one did to get one. I am pretty sure it was Hatham he was ranting against, but maybe I am wrong and it was Adolin.

We also know there are 12 Ryshadium riders on the Shattered Plains. Two of them are in the Kohlin camp; none in the Sadeas camp; at least one in Hatham. Jakamav did not have one. The remaining 9 must be in the other camps.... Come to think of it, I do not recall any mention of any Ryshadium with Aladar or Sebrarial either....

I think that portion is jsut after what I quoted above in WoR:

...the highprince himself, seated upon a Ryshadium. Damnation . Those animals were far superior to any other horseflesh. How to get one?

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (Kindle Locations 6835-6836). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

• 10 months later...

Late to this thread, but I'm up-voting a lot of ideas here - I bet spren are indeed involved.

That said, Gallant in particular might be something more.

I found this thread because I had the idea that Gallant might be a kandra. Someone has already posted that idea above, so I see I'm not the only one (bummed that I'm not the first, but hey - great minds, etc., etc.).

I really think that at least one kandra in SA won't be humanoid in form, and ryshadium seem like the best possibility.

Wouldn't it be cool if, at some extremity, Gallant actually spoke to Dalinar?

But now I've spoiled the surprise for myself, if it does happen ... time to stop theory-izing now.