Finishing Words of Radiance

Dawnshard

Hi I am a really fast reader and I am planning on not stopping until I am done with Words of Radiance. I am not saying this to brag but because I am wondering if we can create a new area for Words of Radiance spoilers and for book three right after the book is out for the really fast readers. We could make it separate from the regular Words of Radiance posts so we don't have people who haven't finished the book accidentally coming in. Can we do this please? I know there are at least a few other people who read really fast.

Hi I am a really fast reader and I am planning on not stopping until I am done with Words of Radiance. I am not saying this to brag...

Wanna have a race?  :ph34r: I finished WoK in 5 days during a hiking trip (and no I wasn't reading while hiking). I was so sad because I didn't have anything to read on the drive back.

Hi I am a really fast reader and I am planning on not stopping until I am done with Words of Radiance. I am not saying this to brag but because I am wondering if we can create a new area for Words of Radiance spoilers and for book three right after the book is out for the really fast readers. We could make it separate from the regular Words of Radiance posts so we don't have people who haven't finished the book accidentally coming in. Can we do this please? I know there are at least a few other people who read really fast.

This *is* that place.  This forum is where the Words of Radiance spoiler discussion is supposed to take place, both pre- and post-release.  Anybody coming here knows what they are getting into.  Though it will be good form to put *Finished Book* or some other qualifier in the thread title just for another level of safety.

My plan? Don't even look at 17th Shard from the beginning of March until I finish the book. I also intend to filter out all alerts/emails from this site for that period, just to be sure.

I was going to post a thread for everyone to post their "away messages" in when we got closer, actually.

Edited by Kurkistan

In all honesty the mods should probably post a No discussion before x time on March 4th rule for people who manage to get their books a little early, as many brick and mortar stores don't aleays follow release dates and most of us are bad at waiting when that phone call hits a week early...

Good point, I'll have to put out an FYI to not post things in the book before it is released. However, once March 4th rolls around, it is fair game to post such things in here. I'll post a Words of Radiance Impressions topic, which I can time to happen right at the 4th rolls around.

There will not be a Book Three area until Book Three content actually exists. In case anyone has been wondering about what will happen to this forum after release, it will continue to exist for six to nine months after release, and will be the only place for Words of Radiance spoilers, with exception of Cosmere Theories. This time period will also have spoiler warnings for Words of Radiance content on the wiki as well. Afterwards, this forum will be removed and its topics will go into the Stormlight discussion board. It seems very silly to me to have ten different subboards for each Stormlight book. We don't do that for Mistborn or Alloy. It just gets too hectic, you know? So these special, book-specific subforums actually only exist because there is a subset of people who don't want to know anything about the book before they have it in their hands.

Wanna have a race?  :ph34r: I finished WoK in 5 days during a hiking trip (and no I wasn't reading while hiking). I was so sad because I didn't have anything to read on the drive back.

Totally! lets create a post counting the amount of hours it takes people to finish it! the person who wins gets to be KING OF READING!!!!!!! cue thunder and lightning. Also people have to start at the begining even if they read the excerpts. From start to finish.

Just out of curiosity, are we talking about quickest time actually spent reading, or fastest to finish after the book is released?

Both. Preorder the eBook, and start at midnight. Call in sick and get them to disregard the mumbled passages of WoR that you mumble when trying to excuse yourself and read at the same time.

Totally! lets create a post counting the amount of hours it takes people to finish it! the person who wins gets to be KING OF READING!!!!!!! cue thunder and lightning. Also people have to start at the begining even if they read the excerpts. From start to finish.

Or queen of reading.

Just out of curiosity, are we talking about quickest time actually spent reading, or fastest to finish after the book is released?

I would say time actually spent reading, just because of this:

The book is also out two days earlier in the US. Its not out until March 6th in the UK, so it would be nice if a separate section could be created.

Let's give all the UK people a chance.

Good point, I'll have to put out an FYI to not post things in the book before it is released. However, once March 4th rolls around, it is fair game to post such things in here. I'll post a Words of Radiance Impressions topic, which I can time to happen right at the 4th rolls around.

There will not be a Book Three area until Book Three content actually exists. In case anyone has been wondering about what will happen to this forum after release, it will continue to exist for six to nine months after release, and will be the only place for Words of Radiance spoilers, with exception of Cosmere Theories. This time period will also have spoiler warnings for Words of Radiance content on the wiki as well. Afterwards, this forum will be removed and its topics will go into the Stormlight discussion board. It seems very silly to me to have ten different subboards for each Stormlight book. We don't do that for Mistborn or Alloy. It just gets too hectic, you know? So these special, book-specific subforums actually only exist because there is a subset of people who don't want to know anything about the book before they have it in their hands.

Disagree with not allowing whole book content before actual release date. This is a spoiler forum; agree, though, with the suggestion about requiring something like *whole book* in the title, or specific pinned threads for each group of 10 chapters like was also mentioned above.

I really don't plan on rushing thru the book. I'm sure I'll tear thru it but I'm not going to read fast just to read fast. Take my time and savor it , try to pick up some of the subtlety on the first read. Its going to be years before the next one comes out. Why not take my time.

• 2 weeks later...

I took off work for the release, and I think the pre-released chapters were around 150-200 pages (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That leaves about 1,100 pages (softback, that's what I read the most, and what I use to estimate reading times), it takes me about 2 hours to read 100 pages in TWoK, so that's 22 hours worth of reading. That means, if I read straight from getting the book at 10:00 AM, I can have it done before work the following day.

Call me crazy and/or obsessive, but that's just how I am lol.

Edited by Luke.spence

I took off work for the release, and I think the pre-released chapters were around 150-200 pages (someone correct me if I'm wrong). That leaves about 1,100 pages (softback, that's what I read the most, and what I use to estimate reading times), it takes me about 2 hours to read 100 pages in TWoK, so that's 22 hours worth of reading. That means, if I read straight from getting the book at 10:00 AM, I can have it done before work the following day.

Way to crunch the numbers.  Godspeed, Luke, Godspeed...

For some reason I feel like all of the pre released chapters were really short. But it could be that I was so excited that I didn't even realize how much I was reading