Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

1 minute ago, Voidus said:

Oh you know, lurking in Alleys, making cookies. The usual. :D
I've actually only just come back from a pretty long period of minimal activity too, work started getting a bit hectic and without the Reckoners RP I didn't have as big of a daily time commitment to 17S.
Can I ask which fandom? I'm kindof curious now.

Nice to know things never change around these parts. :P

Sentinels of the Multiverse, a superhero card game with some lore I got really invested in. I went too long without writing superhumans and started going stir crazy.

1 minute ago, Kobold King said:

Oh, you have no idea.

Voidus is still doing that, but now the Social Groups section is basically politics, burg with assassination. 

9 minutes ago, Kobold King said:

Sentinels of the Multiverse, a superhero card game with some lore I got really invested in. I went too long without writing superhumans and started going stir crazy.

Is there any section of the fandom dedicated to creating new superheros? :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Kobold King said:

Little bit of a ramble today because this is in my head. The random stuff threads are still for anything that pops into your head, right?

[snip]

I will say that most of the time, my thoughts end up going in similar directions. When I see people debating relationships in stories, I do often find myself confused as to why romantic relationships are assumed. Then again, this might just be due to me being blind to romance in general.

6 minutes ago, Silverblade5 said:

I will say that most of the time, my thoughts end up going in similar directions. When I see people debating relationships in stories, I do often find myself confused as to why romantic relationships are assumed. Then again, this might just be due to me being blind to romance in general.

As I said, there are valid reasons to make the argument.

I just think the argument is often unevenly applied.

When we say "I ordered food" we dont really notice we use the word 'ordered', which is pretty much like the word 'demanded' except no one says "i demanded food" because thats being a spoiled brat but we say "i ordered food" like its better because we know we will get it eventually. We do it to make it sound like we are superior to the person giving us food, or maybe thats how it started. Anway, we should all say "i requested some food" it works much nicer. Just a random thought

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

When we say "I ordered food" we dont really notice we use the word 'ordered', which is pretty much like the word 'demanded' except no one says "i demanded food" because thats being a spoiled brat but we say "i ordered food" like its better because we know we will get it eventually. We do it to make it sound like we are superior to the person giving us food, or maybe thats how it started. Anway, we should all say "i requested some food" it works much nicer. Just a random thought

The act of requesting something be served is called an order

Order
Verb
request (something) to be made, supplied, or served.

13 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

There's also the connotation that money is exchanged for the express purpose of getting the, in this case, food. 

So "I ordered a Big Mac" will mean "I have paid for a Big Mac and am waiting for it to be made and given to me per contractual agreement." Whether or not you feel superior does not enter into it, you are, by paying the price, entitled to a Big Mac.

So if you end up with a Quarter Pounder instead, pointing to a receipt and saying, "I ordered a Big Mac" is pointing out the contract terms were not met. 

Request may or may not contain the sense of contractual entitlement, so is not as pertinent to the situations where "order" is typically used. 

9 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

There's also the connotation that money is exchanged for the express purpose of getting the, in this case, food. 

So "I ordered a Big Mac" will mean "I have paid for a Big Mac and am waiting for it to be made and given to me per contractual agreement." Whether or not you feel superior does not enter into it, you are, by paying the price, entitled to a Big Mac.

So if you end up with a Quarter Pounder instead, pointing to a receipt and saying, "I ordered a Big Mac" is pointing out the contract terms were not met. 

Request may or may not contain the sense of contractual entitlement, so is not as pertinent to the situations where "order" is typically used. 

Hmm, then maybe "I exchanged for food." Would work more. You're not saying "I exchanged food" Because your not giving food for food, but saying "I exchanged for food" would work better I think. Saying you ordered food, and on the flip-side saying you served some food creates two types of people: The orderers and servers, which gives a lot of assumption over who's superior. We should all say "I exchanged for food" instead.

3 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

Hmm, then maybe "I exchanged for food." Would work more. You're not saying "I exchanged food" Because your not giving food for food, but saying "I exchanged for food" would work better I think. Saying you ordered food, and on the flip-side saying you served some food creates two types of people: The orderers and servers, which gives a lot of assumption over who's superior. We should all say "I exchanged for food" instead.

Server and orderer doesn't imply a superiority at all. Their business is to provide a service. That service is gained in exchange for something of value; generally currency. You order what you want from a list of options that they are providing, then they fulfill the order as agreed upon. 

13 hours ago, Bleeder said:

Heya kids, it's your friendly neighborhood lurker back to check in again. How's everybody?

Bleeder! =D So glad to see you again! Life is good for me. Moved into a new apartment that I really like so far (I've been here less than 3 weeks), just saw Infinity War in theaters tonight, and I'm flying to Ohio to visit my parents in a couple weeks. =) How's life been treating you?

16 hours ago, Bleeder said:

Doin' ok! I saw Infinity War on Saturday, which was certainly an experience. Overall I'm pretty alright, all things considered.

Glad to hear it! Do you think you'll be sticking around the Shard more often soon?

Please say yes.

9 hours ago, Sunbird said:

Glad to hear it! Do you think you'll be sticking around the Shard more often soon?

Please say yes.

Hopefully! I won't promise anything, but I'll definitely try to be more active. Been meaning to do some rereads so I may do updates on that. Time will have to tell! I've missed y'all.

2 hours ago, Bleeder said:

Hopefully! I won't promise anything, but I'll definitely try to be more active. Been meaning to do some rereads so I may do updates on that. Time will have to tell! I've missed y'all.

We've missed you too! Hope to see you stick around! :) 

(Also Infinity War was amazing wasn't it?)