Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

11 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

!!!! BEST THING EVER

AngelEy3 was right. That was a brilliant move. (Seriously major CS fan here, so that makes this even more hilarious :P) Have you head the original, Sunbird?

I don't think I have.

In other news, I have new bird photos from the weekend :D

Wood Duck (2 photos):

Spoiler

This gorgeous guy seemed to have a crush on a female Mallard, whose head you can see in the corner of this first photo. He kept chasing the male Mallards away from her, LOL.

5aa70f8b5f335_IMG_7439WoodDuckCrop(C).jpg.2a8b92d027932631fe82d66233b02c4d.jpg

Mr. Wood Duck by himself:

5aa70f8c42898_IMG_7441WoodDuckCrop(C).jpg.a45acf176bebbb4861c8a1d295911c69.jpg

Pacific Wren (2 photos):

Spoiler

This little cutie came right out of the bushes after someone in my birding group played his song from her phone. Bird #350 for my life list!

5aa70f8d0e922_IMG_7451PacificWrenCrop(C).jpg.0e5f89e1cea96fb53b135da0c4506d9b.jpg

5aa70f8dd447b_IMG_7452PacificWrenCropLighten(C).jpg.e321462ffc2f272777aafbd5c2e3d09e.jpg

*is aware I've been away a while and this post is a month old*

On 25 February 2018 at 2:34 AM, Ammanas said:

@Silverblade5 Last month I found out that a once respectable historian, who had published several respected books, is a holocaust denier. His name is David Irving. He has since been ostracized by his fellow historians, but I found the entire thing fascinating. My favorite WW 2 historian Richard J Evans was involved with a trial concerning him (also a fascinating story). I knew that holocaust deniers existed but always just assumed they were living in a militia compound with a population under 50 in the middle of Idaho. Now, to be absolutely clear I am not a holocaust denier, but just wanted to pass along, what I thought, was a interesting story.

Oh Holocaust deniers are everywhere. Particularly on the internet.

This is controversial and I don't know what @Mestiv thinks but Poland has basically been denying a significant part of the Holocaust - they made it illegal to say that the Poles were super involved in the Holocaust, and when asked about it some high up person said "Well of course there were Polish collaborators, the same way there were Jewish collaborators" *gag*. 
To be clear, many many Poles gave up the Jews to the Nazis. I have heard multiple survivors express the sentiment that "the Poles were worse than the Germans". In some cases when the survivors came back to their houses they were driven out/killed by the townspeople and or Poles who had moved into their houses in the meantime. 

Acknowledgment that there were also many good people who saved and hid and risked their lives for Jews and other persecuted peoples. They were absolutely heroes and deserve to be remembered as such. That being said, its disingenuous to act like Poland was just sort of there during the Holocaust and didn't perpetrate anything. 

This has been Delightful's Return To The Shard With Strong and Controversial Opinions. *bows*

@Del-light-full Oh, I know about this new law our super stupid ruling party made. It's a total disaster, it's criticized by anyone with any reasonable education and it's diplomatic cataclysm like we've never had before since 1989... I obviously don't agree with this new law and hate the ruling party even more for trying to do something like that.

(To be clear, this high up person that said such disgusting thing was our Prime Minister :unsure: I'm ashamed of him)

Poland has indeed a lot of antisemitic history and there's no denying that. During the communism period we also banished and stripped from citizenship many Jews. There is no denying that there was and still is a strong antisemitic factor in our community :(

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

@Del-light-full Oh, I know about this new law our super stupid ruling party made. It's a total disaster, it's criticized by anyone with any reasonable education and it's diplomatic cataclysm like we've never had before since 1989... I obviously don't agree with this new law and hate the ruling party even more for trying to do something like that.

(To be clear, this high up person that said such disgusting thing was our Prime Minister :unsure: I'm ashamed of him)

Poland has indeed a lot of antisemitic history and there's no denying that. During the communism period we also banished and stripped from citizenship many Jews. There is no denying that there was and still is a strong antisemitic factor in our community :(

I knew it was someone important :(. I'm glad to hear thats its not accepted by everyone, we can just blame bad politicians then. Thats something. 

Went up to Choctaw yesterday and won a little money. It helped to pay for this monster:

Spoiler

IMG_1262.thumb.JPG.d7e5136328d49b00378769cae1be8747.JPG

All the characters:

Spoiler

IMG_1263.thumb.JPG.3960d375a094149b80cf5a97ca76a89f.JPG

How it was packaged:

Spoiler

IMG_1264.thumb.JPG.98829db9f0afaf5cc78b5f6a78a489a7.JPG

And the instructions and sticker sheet:

Spoiler

IMG_1265.thumb.JPG.989e495c2e11f80d59bac32644f90415.JPG

I'm definitely taking my time with this thing since I did one closer to 4000 pieces in about a day and was so tired by the end. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Regarding the Polish conversation that's been gong on this thread I just find it hard to sit back and make moral judgments on people that have been through a situation I will never understand. I would like to think I would do the right thing, but faced with the mighty German war machine during that same time period and having my own family and problems to take take care of I don't really know what I would do. It is also a different culture and I don't feel comfortable to say I pretend to understand their mindset and history well enough to force my american values upon them. It's also easy to have morals when sitting in a comfy armchair typing things on the internet. 

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Regarding the Polish conversation that's been gong on this thread I just find it hard to sit back and make moral judgments on people that have been through a situation I will never understand. I would like to think I would do the right thing, but faced with the mighty German war machine during that same time period and having my own family and problems to take take care of I don't really know what I would do. It is also a different culture and I don't feel comfortable to say I pretend to understand their mindset and history well enough to force my american values upon them. It's also easy to have morals when sitting in a comfy armchair typing things on the internet. 

Having these conversations are important because then we can determine what is moral ahead of time. So that when the time comes, you won't be part of the group history judges as being cowards. 

For example: Saying your family has more value then the lives of other families is incredibly problematic. If you have to destroy other families so that yours is "safe" or succeeds, a massive failure has occurred. 

19 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Sure, I'm just not so forgiving when its my ancestors who are dead and their houses that are occupied by Poles. 

@TheOrlionThatComesBefore @Del-light-full

I think that @Ammanas was only speaking for himself. That HE personally knows it's easy to have armchair morals and so doesn't posit an opinion of his own. I believe his interests here, on this topic, to be simply scholarly, and he has mostly said as much. I'm sure he did not mean to say that your opinion wasn't valid, just that as an outside observer of neither Polish nor Jewish descent, that he doesn't have a personal opinion except to hope that under the same circumstances that he would find the strength to do what is right. 

Edited by AngelEy3

5 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

@TheOrlionThatComesBefore @Del-light-full

I think that @Ammanas was only speaking for himself. That HE personally knows it's easy to have armchair morals and so doesn't posit an opinion of his own. I believe his interests here, on this topic, to be simply scholarly, and he has mostly said as much. I'm sure he did not mean to say that your opinion wasn't valid, just that as an outside observer of neither Polish nor Jewish descent, that he doesn't have a personal opinion except to hope that under the same circumstances that he would find the strength to do what is right. 

I got that. :)

5 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

Oh good, sometimes tone is hard to pick up in text. :D

Are you on the Wonder Woman 2 hype train yet? Just saw they picked a lead for the villain. 

Not yet. To many other movies to be hyped about. Infinity War, Ready Player One......

Went to B&N since I had some coupons for 20% off a children's chapter book and a mystery book. I used them to get the final Kingdom Keepers book and a book called Warlock Holmes. After buying these I decided to put in an order for White Sand 2 since I've been unable to find it. Turned out they had some in the back! So now I have everything Cosmere up to this point.

12 hours ago, Slowswift said:

EBBD91A5-34EF-4DE1-9849-148B3E5B16DA.jpeg.93fd3033c10180f744975ec9e08c09bf.jpeg

...that ain’t right.

Seriously. I don’t feel remotely prepared, mentally or physically, to be twenty. :mellow:

My mother keeps reminding me I'm legally old enough to drink and every part of me rebels at being considered so legally responsible.

11 hours ago, Kobold King said:

My mother keeps reminding me I'm legally old enough to drink and every part of me rebels at being considered so legally responsible.

Did I ever tell y'all my seminary teacher's first words to me when I told her I'd just turned 18? She said, "Congrats! Now you can be tried as an adult!"

:mellow: 

6 hours ago, Mulk said:

Just wait. It gets worse.

/waves from the far side of 40

Eek? :mellow: 

Kinda reminds me a bit of this XKCD. :P 

Spoiler

ui_change_2x.png

I'm having a weird day, and it doesn't fit in Good Day or Bad Day, so I'll put it here.
First, I'm feeling super excited about Avengers Infinity War. The trailer was, to put it simply, awesome. So I'm feeling good about that.
On the other hand, I'm feeling really crappy and worn out, because now I'm failing Calculus! It just gets harder and harder to put in the effort when I worked my butt off for this assignment, spent pretty much all day on it, using all my resources and got a 30%. I don't see why I should bother getting help, because I'm already in college, but at the same time I have expectations for my grades! So yeah. Dichotomy and stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had some weird vivid dreams last night.

Was in a math class and suddenly realized had not done my homework.  Tried to frantically and subtlety get it done, except the person beside me keep talking to me.  When the professor asked me where my work was I got irrationally RAGED and stormed out of the room.......except that the scene changed as I went out the door and now I was storming around inside a mall.  

After passing a food court and a shoe store while raging at the professor and person who had been next to me, I turned around and walked back.  The entrance to the classroom was like... panels of reflective black glass with an open spot of darkness for the door. As I entered, had another scene change (my dreams are really bad at continuity) and it's the professor and class, except they're all in a GIANT red and gold velvet auditorium watching a play.

(Think I was starting to wake up at this point, because I remember thinking that things weren't making sense somehow, but couldn't figure out why).

I walked over to the professor, leaned over him quite threateningly, and hissed in his face, "I'll do your papers, but I get to pick my seat." And then stormed off again to sit down.

Moral of the dream is:  I really don't like math.

My birds are weird.

IMG_20180331_132648_hdr.thumb.jpg.2d5b75065132d8f12d40d7a7bfd610a8.jpg

She got stuck in between her cage and the dresser. I had to move the cage for her to get out. The other one was just sitting on the top of the cage, watching. Now they're both up there. 

Weirdos. :wub: