Random Stuff X: Something Weird

soyperson

2 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Huh.  @Chaos, did something weird happen with the database again?

In other news, I am shamelessly plugging this wee little thing that I just wrote:

It's short.  Super-short.  And it might be a terrible idea, but you know how invasive plot bunnies can get.

...plot bunnies?

@Chaos she's right, you are.

4 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Ideas. Muses. Sparks of story that won't go away. Fanfic and other writing sites use the term.

I really liked that story, Kaymyth. :D

Yay. :)

I have a fairly cohesive plot arc that's built up in my head over the past 24 hours.  I may have to continue it.

There is a patron who comes in twice a week to ask for Value Line,  ask why it hasn't been updated yet, and then tell us how our mail service works. Despite being young enough to be a digital native or close to it, he demonstrates a steadfastness in his resolve to not use the continually and instantly updated online version.

I will never understand people. 

3 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

Alright, guys. I have an idea.

If I win and go to Texas, I'm going to buy a Mexican poncho and maracas. Why, you may ask?

So that I can run into crowded places and yell "I'M HERE FOR YOUR JOBS" while wearing stereotypical garb and shaking the maracas. 

Hide contents

SPOILER: Cog will not, in fact, do this. He doesn't want to be lassoed like a young calf at the rodeo, fun as the yelling might be.

No I think you should do this. It will be terrible for everyone involved, but also hilarious.

9 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

... I. What.

It's like that time tweezers were banned from airplanes, and somebody said "if you can hijack a plane with a pair of tweezers, then you almost deserve the plane."

:lol: I haven't heard that. That's awesome.

It is interesting, though, how they ban things like pocketknives but sometimes require things like scissors, which are two knives put together.

2 hours ago, Mistrunner said:

I love the public education system. You can't have plastic knives, but they can teach you ways to murder people and get away with it.

Same. A bunch of the kids at my school started taking plastic spoons and stabbing people with them, and now we have to sign in to get a spoon from the lunch ladies. 

7 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Same. A bunch of the kids at my school started taking plastic spoons and stabbing people with them, and now we have to sign in to get a spoon from the lunch ladies. 

Further proof that prison and school are waaaayy too similar to be healthy. :mellow::wacko: 

2 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Further proof that prison and school are waaaayy too similar to be healthy. :mellow::wacko: 

Rumor has it that my high school was modeled after a prison, in the sense that it was made up of two levels circling an enclosed courtyard, with the only exits being easily monitored and tightly controlled. I have no idea if that little factoid is true, but once one of my classmates shared that with me, I couldn't unsee it. :mellow: 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Rumor has it that my high school was modeled after a prison, in the sense that it was made up of two levels circling an enclosed courtyard, with the only exits being easily monitored and tightly controlled. I have no idea if that little factoid is true, but once one of my classmates shared that with me, I couldn't unsee it. :mellow: 

Well, at least it wasn't built like a panopticon. Now, that would be concerning.

*Taps and lights tobacco in pipe* Well it seems to me *takes a puff from the pipe and blows three smoke rings* that none of you have been to prison. For you see *gestures with pipe* restriction does not equate with imprisonment. And neither do security measures equate confinement in a penal system. *smacks lips*

So I just watched the new Ben Hur movie and I can't really wrap my head around why the critics hated it. I thought it was really good and an all around well made movie. I have a suspicion it may have been so panned because it included Jesus or something. No clue what's going on there. I guess at my age I should realize that movie critics are mostly wrong.

Just now, The Invested Beard said:

So I just watched the new Ben Hur movie and I can't really wrap my head around why the critics hated it. I thought it was really good and an all around well made movie. I have a suspicion it may have been so panned because it included Jesus or something. No clue what's going on there. I guess at my age I should realize that movie critics are mostly wrong.

Critics would be comparing it to the original one, which also had Jesus in it. So, you know, probably has little to do with that.

11 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

Critics would be comparing it to the original one, which also had Jesus in it. So, you know, probably has little to do with that.

True, but if I remember correctly Jesus didn't have as prominent a role in the original Heston film. Haven't seen it for a few years though so I may be wrong.

Even if that's not the reason, they're still wrong. ;)

Edited by The Invested Beard