Excerpt from Words of Radiance: Chapters Ten, Twelve, Fourteen and Interlude 1

Michael Portz

His hatred of light eyes is probably necessary to make him susceptible or at least have the possibility to be susceptible to Odium's influence. I think it is too early in the story for him to get over it.

Well his heart might not fully heal in one book, but he might make some major steps toward being his old self again. If he can find another lighteyes to trust other than Dalinar (like Shallan or Jasnah), I would consider that a step in the right direction.

I'm trying to decide if I'm loving Tor right now for releasing these chapters or if they are evil incarnate for releasing the cliffhanger of Kaladin seeing Amaram. Yep, I'm going with evil. :) On the other hand, it allows me 5 weeks of random, wild speculation on what happens. Current favorite theory - Since it would really tick Syl off if he killed Amaram, Kaladin sneaks into where he's sleeping and lashes him to the ceiling. It's petty revenge, but Syl would probably find it hilarious.

How hilarious is Lopen?  I just love the banter between bridgemen, I've loved WoK for so long it's hard to imagine that there's really new cannon diaolouge between them.  I'm so read for this book.  Also Lopen calls Rock "mancha" which will go up with Mooley and Gancho as another one of his wonderful Herdazian names. 

Also the Parshendi refer to themselves as listeners .  Is the lack of capitalization important?

I always come to the party so late. Oh well.

Maybe not, maybe by his relationship with Bridge 4 he is on the verge of discovering a new form, friendform?

That would be awesome if Shen found a new form that brings peace. I still think he maybe a spy. The Listeners (I'm calling them that from now on) noticed something was going on with Kaladin even before he won over bridge four. Maybe they made sure Shen was assigned to Bridge Four to spy on them.

These are the last chapters Tor will be releasing? I'm sad now :( I was already anticipating next week xD

I know. I expected this emptiness. I guess I'll just have to reread TWoKs again in the meantime.

-Kaladin's scene was awesome. I'm glad it sounds like he's going to really go through with the Radiant stuff. Can't wait for the next chapter with Amaram; looks like that conflict will take place through a good portion of even the early book. 

-OK. Eshonai is the Explorer. I think we can also confirm Szeth has an Honorblade. Stormform sounds scary. 

-Adolin sounds scary too. It is noticable that right when he starts thinking of the duel as war, he feels the Thrill as he never has in a duel. Also loved hearing him talk to his Shardblade. I think the fans of "spren are inside Shardblades" theories are going to get there way. 

I knew Kaladin seeing Amaram was the cliffhanger of part one. I was literally biting my fist when the soldier told Kaladin a "hero" had come to the Shattered plains. And the first time Kaladin sees Amaram he is embracing Dalinar. Ouch.

I figured Eshonai was the explorer. I hope the Listeners find a way to stay free.

Adolin feeling the thrill scared me too. At one point the thrill almost drove Dalinar to attack Gavilar. Hopefully, Adolin will not go down a similar path.

Sounds like Sigzil has spent some time on our site here.  ;)

I now envision Adolin and Renarin as the Elric brothers.  (I recently started watching Fullmetal Alchemist). :lol:

LOL about Sigzil being a 17th Sharder.

Edward is a bit more mature than Adolin (nothing against Adolin)  but I agree the dynamic is there. (I love FMA!)

If Brandon goes down that route and has spren turn into the blades I will throw up in my mouth.  It's just far too cliche for me and I cannot take it seriously.

I will cling to the theory that shardblades are a shard of the KR's soul until WoB states otherwise.

In the vision from Dalinar's first WoR chapter, the KR is talking to her spren and not looking at her blade or armor. I don't think the spren become the armor or at least they don't become them completely. We still don't know enough to make an educated guess one way or the other. Just because Adolin loves his shardblade does not mean it has a spren.

On a side note. Maybe we should ship Adolin with his blade. Shardolin?

Also, re: Kaladin+Amaram, I honestly thought Kaladin was going to suck up a bunch of Stormlight and jump on Amaram and beat him up. Kinda disappointed he didn't go all the way. Let your emotions free, Kaladin! I want as much drama as possible screw being reasonable.

That would have been awesome, but I know Kaladin wouldn't do it. He doesn't feel secure enough in his position to even consider it.

I wonder if Amaram will recognize him.

Enough listenI'm calling it, that's Eshonai. (I'm aware many think it's Kaladin at some point)

I agree, the death chant about betraying someone that saved you and controlling storms is likely about a Listener, maybe Eshonai. Or Shen betraying Kaladin? Or maybe not.

So what happens if Lift tries to slick her way across ground where Kal has infused bindspren?

Unstoppable object, immovable barrier, Roshar collapses in on itself in a paradox implosion and gets replaced by something even stranger. (note that this has probably happened before).

And now we know what caused the past Desolations. ;)

·         Cool, the epigraphs are back.  I’m really wondering if the ones in the previous releases (Chapters 8 and 9?) had some spoilery info on them)

·         Renarin gets his Blade.  And the grimace when he received it is quite noteworthy, knowing that he has a spren that only he can see…

Peter said on Facebook that the Epigraphs of Chapters 8 and 9 were left out. Yeah, they must have spoilers.

Good point about Renarin. I was happy he got the blade until you pointed this out.

If Honorblades can really change forms, I hope that Kaladin does eventually learn how to use a sword. If only just for the knowledge. Hopefully his hatred of lighteyes wanes and doesn't hinder him anymore. The Versatility of the Honorblade could then truly be unlocked (especially if he learns other weapons as well).

I don't see Kaladin ever having a sword. I think he loves the spear more than Adolin loves his shardblade.

Edited by eveorjoy

I can imagine it now - Kaladin sneaks into Amaram's quarters, sticks him to the ceiling, and mentions casually something like "no one will believe you if you tell them I stuck you to the ceiling", in an odd echo of Amaram saying no one would believe one deserter slave when he claimed Amaram took his Shards.

This form of revenge would be both minor and hilarious. I hope to see it happen.

ROFL.That would be awesome. Too bad I can only upvote once. ;)

I can imagine it now - Kaladin sneaks into Amaram's quarters, sticks him to the ceiling, and mentions casually something like "no one will believe you if you tell them I stuck you to the ceiling", in an odd echo of Amaram saying no one would believe one deserter slave when he claimed Amaram took his Shards.

This form of revenge would be both minor and hilarious. I hope to see it happen.

I think he should do this every night and stick him someplace new every time. Think about it, everytime Amaram wakes up he has a totally new and different view of the world, torture...

My phone doesn't let me quote, but anyhow...

@Shardlet, Post #95,  Sure, it doesn't confirm the theory that each order had it's own stance, but it certainly makes it more likely.

@JesseQ, Post #97,  Even if they didn't recognize windstance, it's a reasonable assumption that the stances might have changed over the years.

@Shardbearer, Post #109,  I used to be a lurker, but then I took a ShardHunt to the (metaphorical) knee.

Edited by SirVarrock

The warcamps are in collapsed domes.  Amazing that such a large dome could be constructed!

I wonder why there are 10 domes.  10 temples, one for each Herald?  10 halls, one for each order of Knights Radiant?  Obviously 10 is an important number on Roshar, so it could be any number of reason...

Ok, lurkers, I see you at the bottom of this page, 54 people are reading this topic. Come out and let us know what you are thinking.

I think it would be hilarious if Kaladin stuck Amaram to the ceiling for a few hours.

I also find it interesting that Brandon revealed that Honorblades give you surge binding powers so early.

Regarding Shallan's flash-back i see that people are implying a shardblade cannot kill and leave a mess. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if a shardblade "cuts" through something that is already dead, it cuts just like any other blade. So let's say Shallan kills whoever with her shardblade, and hacks at them again, it would leave a bloody mess.

I think it would be hilarious if Kaladin stuck Amaram to the ceiling for a few hours.

I also find it interesting that Brandon revealed that Honorblades give you surge binding powers so early.

Regarding Shallan's flash-back i see that people are implying a shardblade cannot kill and leave a mess. Correct me if i'm wrong, but if a shardblade "cuts" through something that is already dead, it cuts just like any other blade. So let's say Shallan kills whoever with her shardblade, and hacks at them again, it would leave a bloody mess.

Yes, true. There's a possibility this person could have been killed with a shardblade and then hacked into again, but I tend to think he was killed in some other way.

Jasnah's ship is a week late which supports the earlier chapter of something bad happening with Shallan waking up to fire and death (the little kind, I doubt Smaug was available).  Is it possible Szeth was on board and had an episode and sunk the boat?  Yalb keep talking to a "new kid" who I'm wondering whether or not he's a Shin.  I don't recall if he was ever described in detail. 

Or maybe, Szeth causes it to ingratiate himself with Jasnah to get close to Dalinar and then out comes the tears and Honorblade?

Thoughts?  Do I have crazyspren floating around me?

@Feather: Your reactions are wonderful, listening is better than reading your liveblog. Do this more please!

Also, your calling Adolin adorable kinda-sorta matched my own comment on him. :P

Aah, I'm glad you liked it! I apologize for any long-term damage that your ears may have suffered. ALSO, since posting that I saw someone point out that Renarin's really hesitant to take that Blade... WHICH I'M GOING TO TAKE TO MEAN SURGEBINDER!RENARIN. Because, what if his spren is telling him not to do it, but he can't turn it down?

“Adolin, are you sure? I mean, I’m not exactly the best with the Plate I already have.”

“Might as well have the full set,” Adolin said. “Take it.”

Renarin seemed hesitant.

“Take it,” Adolin said again.

Reluctantly, Renarin did so. He grimaced as he took it. 

Baby stop... I can't take this... Not just Shardbearer!Renarin... but possibly UnwillingShardbearerWithASpren!Renarin... Ow. Now things hurt and I'm upset...

Man Adolin chapter creep me out, more and more the thrill looks like some kind of Odium manipulation like Ruin did with Zane.

Kaladin inner conflict will indeed be Honor/Vengence, let the drama begin. Amaram telling Dalinar that he killed a assassin must have hurted, I serious dislike that dude.

Shallan Jasnah where are you girls ?

Kaladin must find a partner, Best candites to me are Shallan and Renarin, both with plates of course.

So the plates that Dalinar won aren't gived to anyone they are there to be lend,t that end a mysterious

And Lady Feather reaction are gold lol.

Edited by Natans

Well this was a blow to my Challenge Renarin speculation.  (He's safe for now Feather ;) )

First bout for Shards in over a year matched up with my thought process.

Although I don't think it's accurate, Sadeas and Rock's Neuatoma didn't count?

But the telling bit was Adolin feeling insulted. He had to bribe the guy 2 Shards to 1 to get him to fight. Visa vi  Soldoron (sp? IDC) did  not have to accept the duel.

So the only way Renarin is getting in the ring s any time soon is if he gets cocky, and the frankly isn't any part of his emotional scale.

Edit: also did anyone notice the wording, Soldoron borrowed a set   of the Kings Plate for the duel. Not the Kings set but one of multiple sets. Elohkar has multiple sets laying around?

Wow. That seems like such a waste when you consider how much Shardbearers impact a battle.

Edited by DocHoliday

Re: Shen as spy: Possible? 

Parshmen are recognizable and valuable.  People would know the ownership and history.  Parshendi spies would be assumed to belong to someone else and ignored, but no-one would claim to own them and sell them to Sadeas.

If a slaver captured them wandering around randomly and figured that the real owner would not find them, he might sell them, so I suppose Shen might be a spy that way.  The spies seem to have to return to report.  I wonder if we'll start hearing about Parshmen appearing and disappearing.

Re: Kaladin not sticking to his own lashing-trap: It could also be the investitures interfering, as he is infused.  This is not disagreement with the intention or ownership theories, but an additional possibility.  I imagine Kaladin couldn't sticky an infused Lift and she couldn't slick him (maybe unless they both wanted it to happen?).

In no particular order...

* Confirmation Szeth's blade is Jezrien's honorblade. But how? My favourite 2 theories:

1) Jezrien went back for his blade, re-connected to Honor, and when Tanavast died he went into coma (and is now drooling)... Stone shamans take care of him, Szeth was one of them/or with them.

2) Darkeness went back for his Honorblade

* Kaladin had 2 chapter icons: spear with black flag for "now", spear with white flag for "flashback". We now saw Shallan's "flashback" chapter icon. Is it Pattern?

* Listeners? Killing Gavilar stopped his plan? I thought it failed... 

* OMG stormform

* Adolin is cool. Renarin has complete set. Hmmm.... what will he do with it?

* Hello, Amaram... What did you just said about those shards?

* Shen is most definitely a Parshendi spy. There must be others, too... in every Highlord's camp... But maybe Shen will end up working with Bridge 4...

* Yeah Sigzil is def a lurker here :)

* The listerners have "Gods", plural. And since "they" have to do with the powerful forms, chasmfiends are not included. So it must be the 3 shards... or at least 2 of them.

Edited by marianmi