Excerpt from Words of Radiance: Chapters Ten, Twelve, Fourteen and Interlude 1

Michael Portz

Wait, 14 interludes? how many sections are there? if there are 5 like in TWoK, we'll have different numbers of interludes between each two sections, but surely there can't be eight, not to mention that then there would only be two per interlude-set.  :unsure:

There was a suggestion that Eshonai may have multiple viewpoints within an interlude set. If that happens twice, that makes 14.

Alternatively, we could just be getting extra from other POVs

It's okay, Feather. I was reading the chapters in class, and it must have looked like I was having a seizure at the end of chapter 12. 

Chaos told you all that I ended up bleeding in class from biting my tongue out of frustration, right? The professor kept giving me looks because I have the worst poker face and he just kneeeewwww I was doing things...

Feather audio book, priceless.

Well, I've done Cosmere book readings before... An entire audio book of just me reacting though? That'd be something else...

Y'all can find that here, if you're interested in listening to me talk about the chapters. (Well, talk and... make rather incoherent noises at various parts...)

I'll just... let it speak for itself... okay. *falls down and sobs for a while*

Okay, I'm completely new here, so my opinion may not count for much, but that was hilarious :) 

My reaction to Amaram talking about how he got his Shards:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! You ungrateful little schmoozle, those aren't yours! *Fumes at computer screen*

My hate for Amaram has gone up exponentially. Please let Kaladin stick him on the ceiling! 

Other than that, nice chapter sets. I'm a little sad that we won't get anymore, but I console myself with the fact that I've preordered the book. So now, just a little over a month to go before I see how that confrontation plays out.

Known Interludes Taravagian, Lift, Ym, Rysn, at least 2 Eshonai.

In the last book we got what? 4 blocks of 3 interludes with 1 Szeth interlude per block. If this rule conrinue we have 10 interludes characters beside Eshonai, I bet that Szeth will get at least one.

14 - 4 Eshonai - 1 Taravagian - 1 Lift - 1Ym - 1 Rysn - 1 Szeth = 5 "secret interludes characters"

I think

=)

PS: 

Okay, I'm completely new here, so my opinion may not count for much, but that was hilarious  :)

Don't say that every Shardie are important, we are a merry bunch =)

PSS: Now that all is said and done i understand the "hook" that was alluded sometime ago, I want the book now and a few 15 chapters aren't enough =(

Edited by Natans

*cof cof* I said 95 ? I must have typed wrong

*Hide in shame, where my blade to commit sepuku?*

You must of had a Voidbringer messing with you, quick capture it with your pure heart and have it give you awesomeness to make up for it's mischievous ways. :P  

You must of had a Voidbringer messing with you, quick capture it with your pure heart and have it give you awesomeness to make up for it's mischievous ways. :P  

Hmmmmm... about the pure heart,  you know...things ... ehh.... forget

Edited by Natans

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! You ungrateful little schmoozle, those aren't yours! *Fumes at computer screen*

My hate for Amaram has gone up exponentially. Please let Kaladin stick him on the ceiling! 

I'm seeing several people say things like this, but I reacted very differently. Amaram's words are what Pattern would call a true lie--he never says that he won them himself, and he is accurate in describing where they came from. They just never contradict the assumption that most everyone has about what happened.

What Amaram did was awful, but I'm actually rooting for him in the coming confrontation. Definitely redeemable.

Other than that, nice chapter sets. I'm a little sad that we won't get anymore, but I console myself with the fact that I've preordered the book. So now, just a little over a month to go before I see how that confrontation plays out.

I was actually impressed with how Amaram didn't technically lie! He just didn't give all the details.

“Yes,” the newcomer said, pulling back and holding his hand to the side. “Taken from an assassin who dared try to kill me on the field of battle.”

He never said who killed the shardbearer. Seems like he is actually trying to avoid outright lying. Maybe give the guy some credit? I suspect he isn't actually the uber villain that everyone thinks.

Edit: ahhh ninja'd! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so :-)

Edited by askthepaperclip

Ya know. I was sitting here thinking, "Man, these people have a little bit too extreme of reactions sometimes to these characters"

But then I realized, I kind of growled or made a guttural sound when Kaladin was running through camp and saw Amaram embracing Dalinar.
(or at least did a disgruntled, "AHHHHH!")

Maybe I'm a little more invested in these characters than I thought? And maybe, just maybe, you all are also having perfectly reasonable reactions as well.

Chaos told you all that I ended up bleeding in class from biting my tongue out of frustration, right? The professor kept giving me looks because I have the worst poker face and he just kneeeewwww I was doing things...

So naughty.

Well, I've done Cosmere book readings before... An entire audio book of just me reacting though? That'd be something else...

If you don't record your reactions to the end, let's say Part 5 through the end... well that would be a disservice.

So naughty.

If you don't record your reactions to the end, let's say Part 5 through the end... well that would be a disservice.

Fine... noted. Part 5 to the end. Probably the infamous Chapter 7 as well. And I swear on Renarin's shardplate that if he gets a POV chapter I'm gonna do those too. While crying. A lot.

I wonder if Kaladin's next chapter opens with him contemplating how to kill Amaram and then Syl talks him down. I guess he will need to explain his reaction to Rock at least. I wonder what Kaladin will tell Bridge Four.

Fine... noted. Part 5 to the end. Probably the infamous Chapter 7 as well. And I swear on Renarin's shardplate that if he gets a POV chapter I'm gonna do those too. While crying. A lot.

Someone call Kurkistan the keeper of all vows to keep this promise too =)

"The world ended, and Shallan was to blame."

I do hope this isn't foreshadowing for Shallan being the destroyer on the dustjacket of TWoK.

It's just my opinion but I don't think its a foreshadowing that Shallan is the destroyer.

When you're ten, everything you know, everything around you, your family. They are your world, they are everything you know. You believe that you know how the world works now. And so anything that changes that 'world' that you're used to, any shifts in that perception, makes it feel like it's the end of the world.

To Shallan, maybe it was her mother's death, her part in the death, or even the deaths itself. Those things cause such a shift in her perception, such a discrepancy in her worldview, that it feels to her like the world has ended.

"When we are young," Jasnah said, "we want simple answers. There is no greater indication of youth, perhaps, than the desire for everything to be as it should. As it has ever been."

Shallan frowned, still watching the men by the tavern over her shoulder.

"The older we grow," Jasnah said, "the more we question. We begin to ask why. And yet, we still want the answers to be simple. We assume that the people around us---adults, leaders---will have those answers. Whatever they give often satisfies us."

"I was never satisfied," Shallan said softly. "I wanted more."

[Way of Kings - Chapter 36: The Lesson]

Ngl, Shallan is my favorite. And I will and can write whole papers on the complexity of her character and why everyone should love her as much as I do.

But I think I have gone off on a tangent so, TL;DR: I don't believe Shallan is the destroyer, or at least that sentence doesn't mean that she will be the destroyer.

Also, I'm probably thinking too much on this but the lullaby that her Father croons to her, am I the only one who thinks it could be something more? A way to Urithiru perhaps?

Now go to sleep in chasms deep, with darkness all around you…Though rock and dread may be your bed, so sleep my baby dear. Now comes the storm, but you’ll be warm, the wind will rock your basket…The crystals fine will glow sublime, so sleep my baby dear. And with a song, it won’t be long, you’ll sleep my baby dear.  
Edited by candidme

To all those who responded to my previous post: thanks for your opposing viewpoints. You are correct: Amaram is technically not lying when he says that he got them from a Shardbearer off the battlefield. And I understand your opinion of Amaram; in fact, I share it. However, Amaram's not denying that he got those Shards either. And he's done some horrible things to Kaladin and his men. His reasonings may be just, but he's walking around with stolen* property bought with four innocent lives. That's just not cool.

Either way, I do really appreciate your analysis and comments. Seeing a different viewpoint is always great for intellectual stimulus and discussion. I hope I offended no one. :)

*For those of you who disagree with this term, I understand. This is just how I see the situation.

To all those who responded to my previous post: thanks for your opposing viewpoints. You are correct: Amaram is technically not lying when he says that he got them from a Shardbearer off the battlefield. And I understand your opinion of Amaram; in fact, I share it. However, Amaram's not denying that he got those Shards either. And he's done some horrible things to Kaladin and his men. His reasonings may be just, but he's walking around with stolen* property bought with four innocent lives. That's just not cool.

Either way, I do really appreciate your analysis and comments. Seeing a different viewpoint is always great for intellectual stimulus and discussion. I hope I offended no one. :)

*For those of you who disagree with this term, I understand. This is just how I see the situation.

I'm with you in this one redemn himself ? Pft... He slaved the person that saved his life, killed the only soildiers that cared to fight for him in the moment that he need more, he are to say the least a ungrateful fella. =)

The great good is fine and such but he must pay for what he did in some way =)

PS: Just me sulking =)

Edited by Natans

You know I've been wondering about Shardblades. Are they destructive in the manner of lightsabers, or actual swords? Are they also harmful to the individual wielding them if they're not careful?

Cause Id die laughing of Kaladin picks a fight with Amaran out of Plate, Amaran attacks with his Shardblade. Kaladin catches it between 2 hands and Lashes the Blade back at him.

Death for your theft!!   :angry: Mwahaha 

Cause Id die laughing of Kaladin picks a fight with Amaran out of Plate, Amaran attacks with his Shardblade. Kaladin catches it between 2 hands and Lashes the Blade back at him.

Notice in http://brandonsanderson.com/images/wok/tWoK_EPHEMERA-1_CODES-webres.jpg how the first picture at top left shows someone hold the blade in two hands - so entirely possible :).

Re: Kaladin not sticking to his own lashing-trap: It could also be the investitures interfering, as he is infused.  This is not disagreement with the intention or ownership theories, but an additional possibility.  I imagine Kaladin couldn't sticky an infused Lift and she couldn't slick him (maybe unless they both wanted it to happen?).

Good point. We can't be sure that it's not a case of interfering Investiture, though I don't think so myself.

Someone call Kurkistan the keeper of all vows to keep this promise too =)

OH NO I CAN'T LET KURK GET RENARIN'S SHARDPLATE, REN BBY I'M SO SORRY I WASN'T THINKING.

Too late...  :ph34r: 

(Though, honestly, the chances of Feather not following through on her end of the vow are too small to be counted).