Excerpt from Words of Radiance: Chapters Ten, Twelve, Fourteen and Interlude 1

Michael Portz

A couple folks have asked if Amaram will recognize Kaladin.  I ask, how can he not?  Gaining his shards was likely the #1 most important day of Amaram's life.  The details of that day must be etched in his memory like words carved in stone by a shard.  If he actually does think of himself as honorable he likely still has qualms/thoughts about how he treated Kaladin.  Also recall that Kaladin has the glyph branded on his forehead there for Amaram to see.

"The world ended, and Shallan was to blame."

I do hope this isn't foreshadowing for Shallan being the destroyer on the dustjacket of TWoK.

Do we know whose perspective the jacket quote is? Once we found out spren have cities, I started thinking it's spren. Anything related to unsplintering Honor, or recombining Roshar's Shards into a new setup could count as destroying them.

Father gathered her into his arms, and she felt her skin squirming. No. No, this affection wasn’t right. A monster should not be held in love. A monster who killed, who murdered. No.

Could the monster she is talking about be her father and not herself? Maybe he killed her mother (and friend? lover?)  

I think in the Starfall chapter Dalinar used windstance with the little poker thing and while the KRs were impressed with his skill, it seemed to indicate they were unfamiliar with his style. Perhaps there is some correlation though.

Actually while he is most skilled with Windstance he used Smokestance, "as it was better with an imperfect weapon."

Chapter 12?  Least surprising cliff hanger ever.

Jasnah's ship is a week late which supports the earlier chapter of something bad happening with Shallan waking up to fire and death (the little kind, I doubt Smaug was available).  Is it possible Szeth was on board and had an episode and sunk the boat?  Yalb keep talking to a "new kid" who I'm wondering whether or not he's a Shin.  I don't recall if he was ever described in detail. 

Or maybe, Szeth causes it to ingratiate himself with Jasnah to get close to Dalinar and then out comes the tears and Honorblade?

Thoughts?  Do I have crazyspren floating around me?

He's not Szeth, he's described as a 6' tall hulk of a man. Szeth is described as being small, so I'm sure the new kid isn't him. That's not to say that Szeth couldn't of smuggled himself on board and hid himself with the cargo.

Personally I don't think he's on the ship, I don't think he would of liked his chances of discovery with Jasnah on board.

---

What I want to happen now is for an announcement to be made that as a surprise, the release date has been moved up to tomorrow and anyone that has pre-ordered a copy has already had theirs dispatched. That's realistic right?    :P

Ah, one can dream. 

Edited by FeatherWriter
Please don't double post! Use the Edit button!

Y'all can find that here, if you're interested in listening to me talk about the chapters. (Well, talk and... make rather incoherent noises at various parts...)

I'll just... let it speak for itself... okay. *falls down and sobs for a while*

Feather, you are going to love Adolin in this book. :) And nice meltdown there after chapter 12. That was totally worth it.

Okay, since Kaladin can make the ground sticky, it looks like it's a vacuum seal rather than external pressure.  I wonder if Windrunners can mess with the air around them in other ways?  Might allow them to overcome terminal velocity, whatever it is on Roshar.  The Ars Arcanum of WOK implies the Three Lashings are the sum of the ways they can use their abilities, but that may be limited.  Ah, well.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to when Kaladin learns to fall up :) 

Adolin, awesome.  He may not be likely to have a Shard any time soon unless his soul breaks, but count me as someone else who loved his pre-duel conversation with his brother.  If the stances are related to the 10 Essences, will there be a Glassstance?  Maybe developed for when your Shardplate's about to shatter?  Doesn't seem all that likely, but I'm not sure what quartz or crystal would be.  Then again, wind and iron aren't direct adaptations of air and metal, so it could be something else.

Eshonai and Shallan were pretty close to what we'd seen before, but interesting enough.

Feather, you are going to love Adolin in this book. :) And nice meltdown there after chapter 12. That was totally worth it.

I... I'm not sure whether to be reassured, flattered, or terrified. It's a very strange mix of all three I think. You can imagine that the sounds I made in response to this reply were very similar to the ones at the end of Chapter 12.

...And I got some very strange looks in the coffeeshop for this.

You know, looking over the Shallan chapter again, I realize that Brandon's getting better at showing-not-telling. The chapter was wonderfully short, and yet so filled with intrigue. He's just getting better with time. I want a time machine now.

He's not Szeth, he's described as a 6' tall hulk of a man. Szeth is described as being small, so I'm sure the new kid isn't him. That's not to say that Szeth couldn't of smuggled himself on board and hid himself with the cargo.

Personally I don't think he's on the ship, I don't think he would of liked his chances of discovery with Jasnah on board.

My gut also says that Szeth wasn't involved.

That being said, Szeth and Shallan/Jasnah were all in Kharbranth at the end of WoK and they were headed to the Shattered Plains...

If you assume that the two chapters happen at the same time and that Szeth doesn't travel by surges, it's very possible that they could be on the same boat.

Edit:

I... I'm not sure whether to be reassured, flattered, or terrified. It's a very strange mix of all three I think. You can imagine that the sounds I made in response to this reply were very similar to the ones at the end of Chapter 12.

Feather, you are adorable. Please, never change.

Edited by Stoneward

I... I'm not sure whether to be reassured, flattered, or terrified. It's a very strange mix of all three I think.

Definitely all three. ;)

There are certain chapters in the book I'd love to hear your reactions to. But doing that for the whole book would be ludicrous, haha.

Kinda lucky that this was the last batch of chapters, we got a novel in previews:)

I exhaled a bit after I ve read somewhere that there is around 150 chapters (Michael and Kate FB I think, there is 76 chapter that Michael narrated and 7x that Kate did, number stuck in my head that Michael has bigger "playtime" eventough the book is with Shallan flashbacks), but after seeing how small some chapters are (or they are just excepts from chapters Peter?), I m glad it is over and I can reread it couple hundred more times until March.

About chapters themselves:

It does seem it was 1 shardkill 1 "normal" kill.

I have some unexplainable instinct feeling that what Szeth and Kaladin do is not the same thing at all, can't explain, just a gut feel and perhaps a chance to say "told you so" later on.

Amaram is mostly good character , I expect that confrotation will go somewhere in the lines of Amaram speaking this as soon he sees Kal, they kiss and not much drama.

I really like Renarin...

I.

I neeed more of the listeners coulture!!

I exhaled a bit after I ve read somewhere that there is around 150 chapters (Michael and Kate FB I think, there is 76 chapter that Michael narrated and 7x that Kate did, number stuck in my head that Michael has bigger "playtime" eventough the book is with Shallan flashbacks), but after seeing how small some chapters are (or they are just excepts from chapters Peter?), I m glad it is over and I can reread it couple hundred more times until March.

There are 89 chapters plus the prologue, epilogue, and 14 interludes. The Michael/Kate breakdown included things like Kate reading all of Navani's journal entries even when the chapter is Michael's.

89 chapters plus the prologue, epilogue, and 14 interludes

89+1+1+14 = 95 o.O

Almost 100. Next time maybe Brandon could do 100 chapters you know 10 and multiples are kind a magic number in Roshar, of course this would be only because of that  =)

It's okay, Feather. I was reading the chapters in class, and it must have looked like I was having a seizure at the end of chapter 12. 

Also, speaking of the end of chapter 12,  someone needs to give Kaladin a hug. 

Wait, 14 interludes? how many sections are there? if there are 5 like in TWoK, we'll have different numbers of interludes between each two sections, but surely there can't be eight, not to mention that then there would only be two per interlude-set.  :unsure:

Feather, tumblr is blocked for me at both home and work.

Aaah, I'm sorry! I tried to find another website to host on, but they're not working. :c Sorry! Maybe you can find a coffeeshop with wifi or something? It's too bad that you can't hear it! (Though you'll spare your ears my screeching.)

Definitely all three. ;)

There are certain chapters in the book I'd love to hear your reactions to. But doing that for the whole book would be ludicrous, haha.

--FeatherWriter is not available at the moment. Please leave a message at the tone.-- *wordless high-pitched keening*

Nice idea somebody convince Lady Feather plx =)

Aaaaaand now I'm tempted. I'll try to do a written liveblog at least? Mayhaps I'll pull up the recording software if things start to get intense just in case. We'll have to see. I will make an attempt! 

I really like Renarin...

Of course you do. What's not to like? He's a darling.

89 chapters plus the prologue, epilogue, and 14 interludes

89+1+1+14 = 95 o.O

Almost 100. Next time maybe Brandon could do 100 chapters you know 10 and multiples are kind a magic number in Roshar, of course this would be only because of that  =)

89+1+1+14 = 105