Excerpt from Words of Radiance: Chapters Ten, Twelve, Fourteen and Interlude 1

Michael Portz

A couple folks have asked if Amaram will recognize Kaladin. I ask, how can he not? Gaining his shards was likely the #1 most important day of Amaram's life. The details of that day must be etched in his memory like words carved in stone by a shard. If he actually does think of himself as honorable he likely still has qualms/thoughts about how he treated Kaladin. Also recall that Kaladin has the glyph branded on his forehead there for Amaram to see.

I don't think the Shash glyph was put there until much later

To quoth from the Way of Kings:

"The stormwarden stepped up to Kaladin, positioning the branding iron. The glyphs, reversed, read sas nahn. A slave's brand.

- p. 704, Ch. 51 "Sas Nahn

"What was that glyphpair? 'Sas morom,' Kaladin said. It was the highlord's district where the man had originally been branded."

- p.52, Ch. 2 "Honor is Dead"

Just a few things from the Shallan chapter:

* she has blood on her face

* (in my understanding) there was a man and a woman dead... the man was bloody, the woman was not (shardblade?). Then Shallan's mom is referenced, dead by shardblade... so the woman in white could have been her mom.

Since she has blood on her face, Shallan must've killed the man. Maybe he was trying to kill her parents, but he could not kill her, being a child and all - so she did kill him? Then her father pick up the blade, and carried it until Shallan killed him.

A couple folks have asked if Amaram will recognize Kaladin.  I ask, how can he not?  Gaining his shards was likely the #1 most important day of Amaram's life.  The details of that day must be etched in his memory like words carved in stone by a shard.  If he actually does think of himself as honorable he likely still has qualms/thoughts about how he treated Kaladin.  Also recall that Kaladin has the glyph branded on his forehead there for Amaram to see.

Not to mention the fact that the (darkeyed?) troops in Dalinar's army have taken to calling him "Kaladin Stormblessed" again. While it's possible Amaram might not immediately recognise Kaladin, unlikely as that may be, he would certainly remember his name.

I don't think the Shash glyph was put there until much later

Does it matter? Amaran's reputation was likely (mostly) deserved. So what he did to Kaladin and his squad is likely the most devious act in his life. Something like that is etched into his mind, I imagine.

Branding the face of the man who saved you when none else would even step up. And calling it mercy... 

Ya, brands or no brands, Amaran is going to know who is looking at him with murder in his eyes.

Just got the time to listen to Feather's live-audio(?).

The quintessential Feather line: :P

"I pick up on the weirdest thing, I know: I'm a shipper." :lol:

(The sounds she made when Renarin got the blade are hard to transcribe. :P)

Edited by Kurkistan

Just got the time to listen to Feather's live-audio(?).

The quintessential Feather line: :P

"I pick up on the weirdest thing, I know: I'm a shipper." :lol:

(The sounds she made when Renarin got the blade are hard to transcribe. :P)

Which is why I didn't try... Figured recording my wordless screeches would get the point across better than *wordless screech*. Also, I'm like, screaming and then apologizing for screaming ALL at the same time. Woo.

Shipper and proud. Yeaaaaah. You should have heard the sounds I made when the Shallan/Adolin causal became a thing. (I have a feeling these recordings are going to become a thing so, expect more from me?)

(I have a feeling these recordings are going to become a thing so, expect more from me?)

Awesome that was so fun. Even though I figured it was coming, I had the same freakout when I read the end of chapter 12. I was literally biting my fist, though I didn't draw blood. I'm looking forward to more recordings. ;)

Edited by eveorjoy

Which is why I didn't try... Figured recording my wordless screeches would get the point across better than *wordless screech*. Also, I'm like, screaming and then apologizing for screaming ALL at the same time. Woo.

Shipper and proud. Yeaaaaah. You should have heard the sounds I made when the Shallan/Adolin causal became a thing. (I have a feeling these recordings are going to become a thing so, expect more from me?)

Please do it was very enjoyable. I am also glade you expressed the awesomeness that was Adolin's beat down.

I think the parshendi attack the camp with a hugh storm, and in return, dalinar unite them and send them to attack straight into the enemy. Wiould the parsh attack dalinor or focus on the more vulnerable camps, which are not up to the codes yert.The thing is the storms bring stormlight, which power surgebinders, so if they believe the KR, they risk facing them magically enhanced. Dalinor will be badly affected possibly, it could damage his reputation if it happens in public, I wonder what happens if he had a really long vision.

The gem on the sword, that is the link/anchor between the man and weapon, so if destroyed, what does that mean for the shard? if not linked, can the sword still be used? It is a vulnerability.

I hope shen and the lady parshendi end up together.

Say there are 30 shard bearers in the camp, does that mean 30 swords, or 30 sets of plate and sword, or there are 30 shards, swords and plates combined. What would be the priority, blades or swords? They are fighting a war, so it is likely swords are forst. How many can he duel for before it is figured out they are collecting the shards? At first, they can make it seem, now he is finally allowed to duel, he will prove every critic wrong, by taking every shard he can, making those others regret speaking poorly of him and his family. eventually however, it will be seen as a powerplay. it might be before or after, when people stop dueling with him, and his recognized mastery of shards. I am thinking about 10 shards. I wonder now he has blade and plate, the little brother will be challenged as well. he needs to be taught to fight soon, at least more in depth than before.

Do any of briidge four know the secret of the new bright lord, or that they may need to keep his captain from killing him.

Do any of briidge four know the secret of the new bright lord, or that they may need to keep his captain from killing him.

No they don't know. I wonder if Kaladin will finally tell them and how much will he tell them.

I think the whole Amaram/Dalinar friendship will initially push Kaladin away from Dalinar and more towards his crew. Instead of confiding in Dalinar, as planned, he will instead reveal everything (hopefully) to his inner-circle. And then I'm wishing that in lieu of Kaladin opening up a bit more... maybe we hear some back story from Teft, Moash, Skar, and Rock? (too much to hope for)

While Amaram's actions were pretty fiendish, I think I can actually understand his character a little bit. He is just a Captain or whatever in Sadeas' army, right? And he was entrusted to keep the borders secure and everything all good while Sadeas was away playing at war with the big guys.
So here's Amaram, some small time leader for an army technically belonging to some High Prince.

Now, when he gets attacked on the field and Kaladin saves his life... seriously thing about how embarrassing that is for a Lighteyed Captain? He is in charge. He is supposed to keep everything good and stable back here in Alethkar while the Vengeance Pact continues without a hitch.

How destabilizing would it be to that entire branch of the army to learn that their leader was saved by a lowly darkeyed spear wielder?
All rumors and indications point that Amaram is actually a decent guy.
What other Lighteye have we heard people say is actually an honorable man? There's only one person mentioned above the rest, and that's Dalinar. and we KNOW he is obviously a good man, a man of honor.

Honor isn't about right or wrong. It's about being consistent and upholding what you believe in. I believe Amaram believes he did the only honorable thing in that situation. He was willing to grant Kaladin the Shards, but only when Kaladin refused them did he go through with it.
And we have to understand his reasoning, I think.

What would be a bigger blow to the morale and effectiveness of the army he was entrusted to than a darkeyed rejecting the whole foundation of their culture?

I just think there is a lot more to Amaram than we know so far.And I will reserve any condemnation until more facts and characterization come out.

I'm a bit disappointed that Sigzil's attempt at doing some proper science was interrupted. 

I suppose it had to be sacrificed for story pacing. 

The problem with Sigzil's test is he wasn't prepared to take quantitative measurements. He needs to study how stormlight is stored in the gemstones and maybe bring something to measure time next time.

He is a pioneer in a field of study that has not existed in 4000 years if it ever existed. He will get the hang of it. I hope this is not the last we see of his research. I'd be happy with pictures of his notes if nothing else.

Edited by eveorjoy

Gamma I do not want to see this thread dissolve into another Amaran morale breakdown. Can we please move on?

Edit: I do appreciate your inspection into the possible ramifications of Dalinar hugging Amaran, in Kaladin's eyes. He may be more trusting of Dalinar since he freed him. But I got a feeling is going to go differently than you describe.

Kaladin is in a public place, in front of perhaps hundreds of people. Amaran and Dalinar are close enough for him to overhear their conversation. I would put that at a range of 20' maximum. If Amaran so much as makes eye contact with Kaladin, I see a scene occurring. A very public scene.

Amaran :who is that Darkeyes with a suspicious large empty circle of reference around him?

Dalinar: oh that's the best of my bodyguard! Sadeas hung him upside down in a Highstorm and he's alive! Then he saved my life after Sadeas turned tail like a (cat). So I freed him! Can you imagine anyone enslaving someone That incredible? Kaladin! C'mere!

Kaladin: Hi. Remember me? :angry:

Edited by DocHoliday

Not to mention the fact that the (darkeyed?) troops in Dalinar's army have taken to calling him "Kaladin Stormblessed" again. While it's possible Amaram might not immediately recognise Kaladin, unlikely as that may be, he would certainly remember his name.

Or the brand on his forehead. I don't think he can forget or ignore the brand on Kaladin's forehead. It has Amaran's district glyph I think. I wonder how come Navani didn't notice this earlier. I'm thinking its not a big deal considering the number of slaves that show up at the shattering plains.

I can't seem to get past this chapter though. I keep thinking about this chapter. I'm doomed!! :(

Gamma I do not want to see this thread dissolve into another Amaran morale breakdown. Can we please move on?

My b, didn't know that was a big problem in the thread, mostly just skimmed the 9 pages and just saw a few posts about Amaram.

I definitely thought the Kaladin cliffhanger was one of the more important previews we've seen, and figured this was as good a thread as any to share my opinion on Amaram.

Much more interesting to discuss with people than 'shipping', IMO

My b, didn't know that was a big problem in the thread, mostly just skimmed the 9 pages and just saw a few posts about Amaram.

I definitely thought the Kaladin cliffhanger was one of the more important previews we've seen, and figured this was as good a thread as any to share my opinion on Amaram.

Much more interesting to discuss with people than 'shipping', IMO

Personally, I agree but it's opens the gate to alot of garbage. Best to separate the two.

I actually edited my post to be a little more in depth.

The Kaladin cliff hanger was there to tease us, no doubt.

Or the brand on his forehead. I don't think he can forget or ignore the brand on Kaladin's forehead. It has Amaran's district glyph I think. I wonder how come Navani didn't notice this earlier. I'm thinking its not a big deal considering the number of slaves that show up at the shattering plains.

I can't seem to get past this chapter though. I keep thinking about this chapter. I'm doomed!! :(

Kaladin probably keeps the brands covered up, 

And not only is that cliffhanger the end of part one, going by this tweet  which still seems to match the excerpts, Kaladin's next chapter is chapter 16 in part two. Four interludes, two Shallan's chapters and Adolin's chapter all come before that chapter. I have a feeling Amaram and Dalinar never saw Kaladin and the next Kaladin chapter takes place days later.