Favorite opening sentence?

Ammanas

58 minutes ago, mattig89ch said:

Whats that line from?

It's the opening line to Stephen King's Dark Tower series. From book 1, The Gunslinger. 

Edit: The Man in Black is Stephen King's Hoid. If Hoid was ever featured as a main antagonist. He's featured in the The Dark Tower, The Stand, and Eyes of the Dragon as far as I know, but may make more appearances than that. 

Edited by AngelEy3
Info Spren

The Gunslinger one pops up in every topic like this I've seen on various forums.  Anyone else besides me not in love with it?  It sounds kind of cool but I think it gives a false impression.  It makes it sound like the Gunslinger is quickly chasing the MIB, which is not the case at all. Plus I don't think the line sounds quite cool enough to be as popular as it is.

I also think the Dresden Files series has many opening lines that are better than the one in Blood Rites, but that line always seems to be the most popular.  I don't mean to be contrary.

3 minutes ago, Who Sharded? said:

The Gunslinger one pops up in every topic like this I've seen on various forums.  Anyone else besides me not in love with it?  It sounds kind of cool but I think it gives a false impression.  It makes it sound like the Gunslinger is quickly chasing the MIB, which is not the case at all. Plus I don't think the line sounds quite cool enough to be as popular as it is.

I also think the Dresden Files series has many opening lines that are better than the one in Blood Rites, but that line always seems to be the most popular.  I don't mean to be contrary.

I knew it before it was cool to know it? lol. I read that line in the bookstore at 14 years old and had to get it. I could see it as being 'overplayed' I guess though.

• 1 month later...

The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

About anything.

"Need a poo, Todd."

"Shut up, Manchee."

"Poo. Poo, Todd."

"I said shut it."

A bit longer then a sentence, for full effect! It's from 'The knife of never letting go'. It was one of my fave YA Sci-fi books from back in the day.

23 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

"I’m pretty much f'd."

The Martian?

"Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." -Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

"I am, unfortunately, the Hero of Ages." -The Hero of Ages

"This book is largely concerned with Hobbits, and from its pages a reader may discover much of their character and a little of their history." -The Fellowship of the Ring

"Sadie Kane here. If you're listening to this, congratulations! You've survived Doomsday." -The Serpent's Shadow

"The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose up in the ________. That wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turnings of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning." -The Wheel of Time series

"It is possible I already had some presentiment of my future. The locked and rusted gate that stood before us, with wisps of river fog threading its spikes like the mountain paths, remains in my mind now as the symbol of my exile."

Cheating a little, but for merging fantasy and scifi, and for utter beauty of prose and layered narrative, it doesn't get better than Book of the New Sun. I can't recommend it enough to Sanderfans.

• 4 weeks later...