Sanderson Elimination: Questions & Answers and Game Meta Discussion

Metacognition

Awes, I also agree with those points. That game being the first time I ever GM'd a game,there were definitely some rough points, and I think those were definitely two of them. The Shardhammer addition was too big of a prize, but even then, if you guys had solved it, you would've had three kills a night and there would be no chance of stopping you. So it was definitely a huge advantage either way.

I would like to parrot the sentiment of "I am not really a code-breaker", and I barely bother to highlight and look for white text on posts, let alone write-ups. In Claincy's game I wasn't even aware there was a secret code thing until somebody pointed it out. I feel like if the GM wants to add in extra, fun stuff like that, that is totally up to them and they should feel free to do so. But hopefully nothing too potentially game changing, as that can create late-game imbalances. I agree though that the GM should give some kind of obvious warning that there will be something like that to expect later on. I do believe the GM Section of the Etiquette thread will have some sort of update about this.

Because just last night I was working on some sort of 'Event' mechanic for my game, and I was going to keep it a complete surprise from players, but in light of this, I agree anything 'extra' should at least be mentioned in the Sign-ups.

But I like how everything has been going so far, with all of the different game types we've had. This game is still relatively brand-new to the Forum, so we're still experimenting with different ideas, that of course might not work out perfectly or as intended at first, but we can always tweak them when we revisit those game types later.

Go to the Sanderson Elimination forum page, and hit the button in the upper right that says 'follow'. You will now get a notification every time a new thread is made here. Notifications appear with a red icon in the upper right. If you check your user settings, you can have the notifications e-mailed to you as well, if you prefer. Note: this will show both ongoing games and signups.

Edited by Tempus

I will actually be starting a game up here in not too long, so good timing! If you want you can go check out the Role Creation thread to get an idea of what's coming up, or look at some of the past games to get an idea of what to expect.

Looking forward to having you play!

I have an idea for a quick fix game, but it's not Sanderson related. It that ok?

Yeah, I'd say post it in the Creating Roles thread. Who knows--we might be able to give some suggestions on how to tweak it to make it fit one of the Sanderson worlds. Maybe. Never know til we see it. :)

I was wondering how long it would take us to start branching out into Non-Sanderson works. :lol:
I mean, since it's still new to this Forum, we haven't even explored all possible Sanderson worlds yet, and there's still tons of different possible settings and themes to chose from each world. Eventually, I imagine we'll need to branch out, but for now, we still have tons of possibilities to explore with Sanderson.

I'd like to apply to run my Mistborn House War game, though it still needs a little bit of tweaking first. I would be running it as a full game, not a quick-fix. Ideally we'd have around the same number of people as in Rubix' game, but there will be more factions and thus more documents flying around (probably 10, including the dead doc, if I get ~30 people? I hope my laptop can cope...).

Edited by Wyrmhero

During the current Quick Fix 2 game, those of us in the dead doc have had a few conversations about what rewards various players deserve this game.

We thought it would be a fun idea for each game to have awards given out at the end to deserving players.

Some example awards:

1. Don't Worry, It's Not Loaded (Most Ironic Death)

2. Agro Magnet. (attacked most)

3. Most Lynchable. (received the most lynch votes (before vote changes by roles))

4. Nailed it. (Biggest Game Changing Move)

5. You Monster! (Assassinated the most players)

6. MVP (Overall best player)

7. Doh! (Most unfortunate decisions)

8. You Yella? (uses a protective ability on themselves the most often)

9. Oh, Come On! (given to Weiry the first player to die)

10. Can't Touch This (player who survived the most day cycles with at least two votes on them (before vote changes))

11. Procrastinator (the player who used their role the least amongst active players)

12. Chronic Back(stabbing) Pain (Player who broke the most alliances)
13. The Master of Puppets/Silvertongue (...most manipulative/persuasive player, kudos to anyone who got the reference)
14. Crouching Tiger (player who attracted the least attention/suspicion/threat during the game)
15. Tactician (player who made the most strategic/cunning use of role/special actions during the game.)

16. Don't Worry, I Got This. (Player who most often ignores other people to their own detriment)

Edit: Added suggestions from below

Edited by Awesomeness Summoned

Couple of ones to throw out there as well:

Most Cowardly (player who uses a defensive ability on themselves the most)

Most Unlucky (given to Weiry the first player to die)

Least Killable (player who survived the most day cycles with at least two votes on them (before changes to votes are made))

Most Complacent (the player who used their role the least amongst active players)

How could we forget this one?

Honorary Eliminator (villager who helped the eliminators the most without realising)

Edited by Wyrmhero

I think it could be pretty cool if we do it (as it was done in the dead doc) in the spirit of good fun/for the funny. Question is, if we go with that, will it be by voting and nominations--how are we handling that process?

Other suggestions:
Chronic Backstabbing Disorder (Player who broke the most alliances)
The Master of Puppets/Silvertongue (...most manipulative/persuasive player, kudos to anyone who got the reference)
Crouching Tiger (player who attracted the least attention/suspicion/threat during the game)
Tactician (player who made the most strategic/cunning use of role/special actions during the game.)

Edited by Kasimir

I'm not sure if this is the best place, but I'd like to voice a few concerns, suggestions, etc.

*These may have already been solved one way or another, but in my (admittedly) brief search, I couldn't find anything official. If solutions have been established, maybe a more obvious place for them to be posted would be in order.

I don't know exactly how much freedom the GM's have, and I don't want to step on any toes. 

My first concern is getting into games. I'd prefer to avoid checking in every half hour to see if a new game has opened up. If there is a way to schedule upcoming games, it'd make things a bit easier for those who haven't had the chance to play.

I would suggest starting a thread exclusively for future GM's to give at least a time frame for the beginning of their game. They could also potentially give a quick summary of the scenario/ powers.

Again, I'm not sure if this is strictly up to the GM's or not, but it appears as if in most games, it's first come, first served. Would it be possible to get a list or lineup of people would like to play, so they can be contacted when an opportunity arises? To be fair, I've only been interested in joining a game for the last few days, but even by the second game on this forum, over 20 people had signed up before 24 hours had passed. I would imagine it's hard enough to manage ~20 people, let alone 30+, if the GM doesn't close entries or have a player cap set up.

While these may not be serious problems now, they could quickly become so if interest keeps growing.

There's a Hesitant plan to maybe have two games at once, if there's too many people. As for upcoming games, if you just Follow the Sanderson Elimination Thread, you can find out everytime a new game is posted.

As for the GM's, of you look in the General rules Thread, there's a list of the order of GM's. They'll go one at a time, until such a time where we have more than enough people wanting to play to start a second game.

My first concern is getting into games. I'd prefer to avoid checking in every half hour to see if a new game has opened up. If there is a way to schedule upcoming games, it'd make things a bit easier for those who haven't had the chance to play.

I would suggest starting a thread exclusively for future GM's to give at least a time frame for the beginning of their game. They could also potentially give a quick summary of the scenario/ powers.

The only problem with keeping a list of when the next games will be starting is that there is a bit of variability in the process. They generally try to wait until one game is nearly finished up before starting the next and it can be hard to predict how long the current game will keep going.

It's not a bad idea though to have a pinned thread at the top Elimination subforum that lists the estimated dates when signups for the next game will start, a link to the rules for that game, and the estimated minimum/maximum players for that game.

Again, I'm not sure if this is strictly up to the GM's or not, but it appears as if in most games, it's first come, first served. Would it be possible to get a list or lineup of people would like to play, so they can be contacted when an opportunity arises? To be fair, I've only been interested in joining a game for the last few days, but even by the second game on this forum, over 20 people had signed up before 24 hours had passed. I would imagine it's hard enough to manage ~20 people, let alone 30+, if the GM doesn't close entries or have a player cap set up.

Lately, the game designs have called for high numbers of players so too many people hasn't been an issue yet. For instance, game six which just started, only barely met its minimum suggested players before the deadline.

If it does get to the point, though, where too many people are looking to sign up, the experienced players will gladly sit out a game or two in order to let new players get the experience. Don't let a high number of enrollees prevent you from asking to join. I guarantee that if the roster fills up before the start of the game and you say I'm a new player and would like to try this out, one of the experienced players will let you take their place.

New games happen only once per two weeks at the soonest. That shouldn't be a problem.

About the first come, first serve, that is how it currently is run, but I don't think I've ever seen a max cap of players, but if that need did arise, I'm sure there are experienced players, myself included, that wouldn't mind backing out of a game if a new player wants to join.

New games happen only once per two weeks at the soonest. That shouldn't be a problem.

About the first come, first serve, that is how it currently is run, but I don't think I've ever seen a max cap of players, but if that need did arise, I'm sure there are experienced players, myself included, that wouldn't mind backing out of a game if a new player wants to join.

I just wanted to add that I agreed with Awes and Maili. It's not particularly constructive, but yes, I would also be willing to sit out a game to give a new player a chance. That itself is not an issue; although I would say it's not a bad idea to make the information about upcoming games a bit more accessible in some way (i.e. maybe not in a few separate threads.)

Gamma, Wilson and I are in the process of overhauling the entire General Rules thread to include information on the (soon to be) three game types and while we're not going to limit run time, we do plan to give an idea of how long they typically take to complete. This will not only help out future GMs when planning their games, but it will give new players a better idea of when new games are likely to start.

Along with this, we will detail out the order in which the three types of games will be played (EX: Quick Fixes run during Long Games and Mid-Range Games run in between Long Games, or however we set it up), so that everyone knows what type of games are upcoming. 

We're also working on a Lexicon of sorts so that we're all on the same page as far as terminology goes. 

So bear with us guys. We're still hammering out the details and all that, but once we finally get it all together, I think it will take care of a lot of these issues and will help keep things organized and orderly! :)