Hoid's Magical Translation

Argent

35 minutes ago, AnanasSpren said:

*cough* Hoid has the Moon Sceptre *cough*

True, but I highly doubt that has anything to do with his translation. Not only is there absolutely nothing to indicate that that's what the Scepter does, it seems fairly certain that Hoid was translating long before he acquired it. I don't actually know how to TES fits into the timeline, but surely at least Elantris comes before it?

1 hour ago, Wonko the Sane said:

True, but I highly doubt that has anything to do with his translation. Not only is there absolutely nothing to indicate that that's what the Scepter does, it seems fairly certain that Hoid was translating long before he acquired it. I don't actually know how to TES fits into the timeline, but surely at least Elantris comes before it?

I believe Emperor's Soul comes between Elantris and The Final Empire since the first few Cosmere books were written in chronological order.

3 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I believe Emperor's Soul comes between Elantris and The Final Empire since the first few Cosmere books were written in chronological order.

If i remember right, Brandon said that TES isn't long enough after Elantris for their to be much change of tech level. How specific that really is depends on a lot of conditions, but it shouldn't be a massive time-gap

20 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

If i remember right, Brandon said that TES isn't long enough after Elantris for their to be much change of tech level. How specific that really is depends on a lot of conditions, but it shouldn't be a massive time-gap

A few decades is what I remember. I think the gap between Elantris and its sequel is supposed to be about 30 years, and the gap between Elantris and The Emperor's Soul a little longer than that.

6 minutes ago, WildSpeculation said:

I am not amazing with theory crafting, but I believe it is worth pointing out experiences in MB:SH. (first post not sure about spoiler policies in this forum)

Cosmere Theories

Post theories for the cosmere, the Shards of Adonalsium, or Hoid here. WARNING: Users are not required to put spoiler tags here.

That having been said, I don't actually know where the rules mark "too soon after release," but I think it's fine for SH at this point. Most of us just put it in spoiler tags to be safe

Edited by The One Who Connects
Glitched out

In that case, I would need to look up the quotes when I get home, but I was referring to

when Kelsier somehow Connected to the stones of the fortress. After which he could understand the IRE's speech and,

IF I am remembering correctly, was able do get an impression of what was written. Obviously Kel was not a Feruchemist, but also he was a cognitive Shadow at the time which may make a difference.

Edited by WildSpeculation
Learning Code

@WildSpeculation, put square brackets [ ] on either side of the /spoiler tags, and then remove the / from the first one, to make them work. :)

Kelsier's situation was certainly interesting there, and does open some new possibilities. Since he was interacting in the Cognitive Realm, I suspect that made a huge difference in his ability to connect with the Cognitive Identities of the stones he was touching (I can't remember if that affected him understanding the Ire themselves, though).

jW

2 hours ago, WildSpeculation said:

In that case, I would need to look up the quotes when I get home, but I was referring to

when Kelsier somehow Connected to the stones of the fortress. After which he could understand the IRE's speech and,

IF I am remembering correctly, was able do get an impression of what was written. Obviously Kel was not a Feruchemist, but also he was a cognitive Shadow at the time which may make a difference.

Hey, welcome to the forums! And just in case you're still unclear of the code, it's like this:

[spoiler]Hidden Text[/spoiler]

Also, in regards to the chonology of TES, I actually thought that it was before Elantris because Fjorden wasn't in charge. The fact that they didn't have complete control (or, at least, anymore) could have some interesting ramifications

Effective!y, the moon sceptre is Sel's answer to the Rosetta stone and I wouldn't be surprised if Hoid learned how to hack it to apply it Cosmere wide. (That is, if the sceptre actually plays with connection)

Edited by AnanasSpren

2 hours ago, Bugsy6912 said:

Also, in regards to the chonology of TES, I actually thought that it was before Elantris because Fjorden wasn't in charge. The fact that they didn't have complete control (or, at least, anymore) could have some interesting ramifications

I was under the impression that the Rose sub-continent was never controlled by Fjorden. This is mainly because there was a map in Elantris which showed that an area questionably labelled "Rose barbarians?" showed the area to be north of Teod, past a thick mountain range.

8 minutes ago, AnanasSpren said:

Effective!y, the moon sceptre is Sel's answer to the Rosetta stone and I wouldn't be surprised if Hoid learned how to hack it to apply it Cosmere wide

I'm more of the opinion that the Moon Scepter isn't a literal Rosetta Stone which translates languages, but more of a key which allows someone to use the types of Sel's magic outside of their specific regions. So AonDors outside of the Aonic sub-continent and Teod, using a different source point.

2 hours ago, Bugsy6912 said:

Emperor's Soul is after Elantris, but not too long after. It is before Mistborn.

Source

• Chaos locked this topic