Why do I get the feeling Jasnah is going to die?

The Count

She is the target of oh so many assassination attempts.

None of them will succeed, but she will trip on her dress, and fall in a chasm and die :)

Seriously now, I see her appear to be dying, her body never found, and one week later Shallan hearing the words... "Shallan..... I have found it.... I am there.... The path is.... NOOOOOOOOO".

None of them will succeed, but she will trip on her dress, and fall in a chasm and die :)

Seriously now, I see her appear to be dying, her body never found, and one week later Shallan hearing the words... "Shallan..... I have found it.... I am there.... The path is.... NOOOOOOOOO".

Jasnah has spent most of her life in books and intrigue. I think she deserves to enjoy a little before she dies. Or learn to trust men (or a man). The list gets bigger the more I think about it...

Edited by Fistsofrage

Ah, the old meaningless death of a beloved character trope. Love it.

I don't think that Jasnah will die(well not immediately), because as others said, she still provides a great way for Sanderson to pass on knowledge. Some people of said that Jasnah not being with Shallan during the journey through the shattered plains; but it's also likely she chooses to stay to help her brother maintain control of the highprinces. It seems that Dalinar relied upon her quite the bit when she was last in court, and keeps wanting her back, her coming back might even be what allows him to take direct charge of the army, and push out.

Jasnah dying would put everything on Shallan's shoulder's and explain why Jasnah doesn't really have her own pov. It even makes sense in a tragic way. But I really want love her character and would be devastated if she died here. Yeah, she has too much to do and is too strong willed to die here. It'd be like Moiraine dying early in WoT,

Yeah Moiraine didn't "die" until it fit the story, There are too many unanswered questions about her and the Elsecallers. If she died now it would be worse than tragic. A tragic death might be good for the story. Her death now would be unsatisfying. There are still a lot of things only she can do. The Elsecaller transportation surge for starters. Now if Sanderson showed us what is going on with her and Amaram and her Elsecaller abilities, then killed her off later in the book that would work.

While it could be Brandon trying to throw us off (on mobile so forgive the lack of proper quote format):

"When Jasnah and Dalinar meet, you can expect some discussion of what it means to be atheist if there was a God and God is now dead." Source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=697#10

I suppose this doesn't rule out her disappearing early in the book either.

I also got the impression Jasnah would be on the short list to die; she simply has too much knowledge even if she sees it as limited. Looking at Shallan being the one to travel the plains I could see Jasnah staying behind for other reasons than death. Perhaps Elokar/Dalinar won't allow it, or she gets injured, or she finally gets through to some people about parshmen and needs to be in communication convincing others etc.

Edited by deddinty

Cmon guys, a few punks won't be able to kill Jasnah of the Elsecallers.

I can see her going into the Shattered Plains on a research trip and being killed by the Parshendi, especially if they're mad at the Alethi for seriously trying to kill them, plus if they realise she's Dalinar's niece they'd probably hate her as much as him. 

I can't really imagine her killed by people, seeing how easily she killed those guys in the back alleyway in Kharbranth. Except maybe a shardbearer? Can you use surgebindings against a shardbearer?

Jasnah is a mentor, but the is only one facet of her character. I think Sanderson can do more with her. Her and Kaladin interacting will be very interesting. I'm okay with character death, but only if it will help the story. I think killing Jasnah would be detrimental at this point.

Also being a mentor does not always mean death. Sazed from Mistborn was kind of a mentor and he didn't die.

If Sanderson did kill off Jasnah, I'm sure he would do it in the best way possible. But I don't think she is doomed just yet.

Sazed was kind of a mentor. On the other hand, Kelsier spend the whole book making intriguing plans, gaining Vin's trust, teaching her Allomancy, etc. We know how that worked out.

While it could be Brandon trying to throw us off (on mobile so forgive the lack of proper quote format):

"When Jasnah and Dalinar meet, you can expect some discussion of what it means to be atheist if there was a God and God is now dead." Source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=697#10

I suppose this doesn't rule out her disappearing early in the book either.

A sort of creepy thing is that Dalinar had some of that conversation with Navani, and Jasnah had something like it with Shallan, already. Dalinar thinks the Almighty was never God, but that there is a God. Jasnah thinks he's a powerful spren if he existed, so wouldn't be disappointed in Dalinar's knowledge. Is there more for them to say? If not...

A sort of creepy thing is that Dalinar had some of that conversation with Navani, and Jasnah had something like it with Shallan, already. Dalinar thinks the Almighty was never God, but that there is a God. Jasnah thinks he's a powerful spren if he existed, so wouldn't be disappointed in Dalinar's knowledge. Is there more for them to say? If not...

However, Dalinar also mentions that he remains religious despite recognising that the entity they called God is dead. Jasnah wasn't religious when she believed that God was actually a spren of incredible power, and alive and well. It would be interesting if their positions gradually equalized, though I think Jasnah would lose something by losing any degree of atheism - handled well, though, she could reconcile her viewpoint with Dal and without conceding her beliefs at all.

This is from the Cover Flap

"Brilliant but troubled Shallan strives along a parallel path. Despite being broken in ways she refuses to acknowledge, she bears a terrible burden: to somehow prevent the return of the legendary Voidbringers and their civilization-ending Desolation. The secrets she needs can be found at the Shattered Plains, but even arriving there proves more difficult than she imagined."

I don't know that this implies that Jasnah is truly dead, but something happens where the responsibility of preventing the return of the Voidbringers, and finding the path to Urithiru becomes hers (Shallan's). Could they have gotten separated? Possibly, but why would Jasnah not make it to the shattered plains if she has the transportation surge? It's obvious something goes wrong, and Jasnah, and Shallan are no longer travelling together to the Shattered Plains. Hopefully nothing serious happened to Jasnah.

Edited by kobain

That "teleport out" I could see happening. But I can't imagine her staying anonymous for the duration of the entire book, not returning and never sending a message. It's out of character for her, now that she is invested in Shallan.

That "teleport out" I could see happening. But I can't imagine her staying anonymous for the duration of the entire book, not returning and never sending a message. It's out of character for her, now that she is invested in Shallan.

But what if she's in Urithiru, and is afraid she won't be able to find it again if she leaves? ;)

My new idea though is that Jasnah teleports off with Shallan, and all the mentions of the two of them going to higher-class safety on shore during storms were to make it feel less callous when they abandoned the rest of the ship later on. It also solves the problem of travel being really boring, and gets her to the Shattered Plains faster.

Teleporting might take a lot of stormlight and she might not be very good at it yet. She could teleport to the middle of nowhere and have to walk back to civilization.

It's obvious something goes wrong, and Jasnah, and Shallan are no longer travelling together to the Shattered Plains. Hopefully nothing serious happened to Jasnah.

It could just be that once Jasnah arrives at the shattered plains it becomes apparent that multiple avenues of study are required. She decides Shallan has proven herself enough for a certain amount of responsibility and tasks her with studying the shattered plains while Jasnah pursues other leads.

Edit: added quote so it's more obvious what my comment was in reference to.

Edited by Awesomeness summoned

It could just be that once Jasnah arrives at the shattered plains it becomes apparent that multiple avenues of study are required. She decides Shallan has proven herself enough for a certain amount of responsibility and tasks her with studying the shattered plains while Jasnah pursues other leads.

Given Jasnah's comment

Perhaps the oldest surviving original source mentioning the city, requoted in The Vavibrar, line 1804. What I wouldn’t give for a way to translate the Dawnchant.

And with Dalinar's visions giving a possible way to translate the Dawnchant it would not surprise me if she found studying Dalinar's visions to be more important.

In his last vision, the Almighty told Dalinar that spren attempted to mimic what he has done with the Heralds and thus the KR were born.

When Jasnah reads the vision transcripts, she should figure out that the Almighty was not powerful a spren (as she currently believes), but something else.

I am not sure if anything will happen to her, at least not in the beginning. As in one of the interview B.S has mentioned this

at this point there are several who are major viewpoint characters for the series who we have not had many or any viewpoints from yet--Jasnah is one,

So I am guessing we will see more of her in WoR :unsure: .

• Chaos locked this topic