Favorite Sanderson Villain?

Hoid? :ph34r:

WoK Spoilers

“And while I am your friend, please understand that our goals do not completely align. You must not trust yourself with me. If I have to watch this world crumble and burn to get what I need, I will do so. With tears, yes, but I would let it happen.”

Secret History spoilers

He beats up Kelsier and enjoys it.

Edited by Eccentric Hero

Denth was one of those slick bad guys you would like under different circumstances and wouldn't mind sharing a beer with.

Taravangian is a good guy doing evil things for the good of all and doing the best to stop an apocalypse the best way he knows.

Odium just tears **** up.

Edited by WEZ313

Obliteration is cool, Amaram is interesting, I love Hrathen's arc so much (he's my favorite Elantris character), Nalizar is Snape Incarnate and Taravangian...is Taravangian.

But the ultimate antagonist is unmatched. Unbeatable.

Stick.

Edited by WayneSpren

Well, you see, Vasher was an antagonist to Vivenna in the first half of Warbreaker, and Shallan is technically a criminal...

Some of the best heroes of books are technically criminals. The law is not always right, especially in fictional worlds. (One of my favorite examples of a book hero who is also a criminal is Eli Monpress from Rachel Aaron's book series named after the character.)

The Stick is actually a Splinter of Odium. Proof:

• On Brandon's website there's a deleted Stick interlude that gives no worldbuilding or plot info, obviously serving to introduce us to a character who would become important later. It was removed because he decided it was giving away too much.
  • Odium and Stick both oppose the Knights Radiant, and I doubt either of them are able to be soulcasted into anything (we don't have confirmation for Odium not being soulcastable however- perhaps Odium is actually a Splinter of Stick?)
  • Odium refuses to take other shards because it would corrupt his pure hatred. Stick refuses to become fire because it would corrupt his pure Stick-ness.
tl;dr The stick is the greatest villain the Cosmere has even known, Odium may be his splinter, and I strongly suspect Stormlight 6-10 and possibly Space Mistborn will deal with his rise to power and the conflict against him.
I... I have a splinter of Odium on a shirt...

But... I thought that Stick is just a stick...

I mean, that's what it says at least. Around 227 times in a row. Maybe it's just trying to convince itself.

Edited by Varangian

Mine is Ausar or Galath.

+1

Definitely Galath. He's just awesome.

Ignoring Infinity Blade, I would have to say Sadeas. Not even Kaladin saying the third oath or Shallan outing Jasnah as a surgebinder match the **** yeah!-ness of Adolin ramming a knife through his sadistic eyeball.

Edited by Glamdring804

I... I have a splinter of Odium on a shirt...

I have that shirt too. I'm wearing it right now.

But... I thought that Stick is just a stick...

I mean, that's what it says at least. Around 227 times in a row. Maybe it's just trying to convince itself.

Stick is more than just a stick. That's obviously why he announces his own stickiness so many times--it's to trick us into not discovering his true identity as--OH I JUST PIECED SOMETHING TOGETHER--

Hoid.

Far and away Hrathen. Most believable "bad guy" I've ever met. I've even been in his position, where I feel I have to defer to someone else's zealotry, wondering at my own lack of passion. It was an amazing experience to discover that others might understand how I feel.

His best villain might be that advisor guy in Warbreaker. He's just so good at twisting the truth about his motives until it's almost too late. You can't tell who's the good guy and who's the bad guy.

Are you talking about Bluefinger or the Highpriest?

Yes. Him. I'm not very good with names. Especially with fictional characters. I'm lucky I can keep Kaladin separate from Kelsier.

Well, they are both badchull-fighting, charismatic leading figure with a dark traumatic past and a heavy psychical disorder, i would understand you.

Edited by Alfa