Why is the symbol of the Faithful a stylized "S"?

kroen

I always assumed that "stylized S" meant this: 

4196WnjGlxL._UX342_.jpg

The books take place in a universe where comic books and superheroes are popular, and we're given no reason to assume that they aren't the same ones popular in ours. So making the Faithful's symbol a riff on Superman's logo makes sense, because they believe in heroes like Superman. 

I didn't initially think it was Supe's symbol, but more and more I think it is. I originally thought of it more as like a S with a cross or spear through it, but Supe's symbol of hope makes a lot of sense to me now.

i always seen it clearly as the symbol of superman.

I am curious as to why it is never described as such. clearly superhero comics existed in the reckonerverse before calamity, so the superman symbol should be recognizable by anyone. yet david never describes it as "the symbol of superman", just "a stylized S". In fact, i wanted to open a thread asking for it, but now I'll use this instead

I always assumed that "stylized S" meant this: 

4196WnjGlxL._UX342_.jpg

The books take place in a universe where comic books and superheroes are popular, and we're given no reason to assume that they aren't the same ones popular in ours. So making the Faithful's symbol a riff on Superman's logo makes sense, because they believe in heroes like Superman. 

It's not an 'S'. In the mind of the Faithful this symbol means hope. :ph34r:

Well, if it is Superman's symbol, then it's possible Brandon or the publisher couldn't or didn't want to get rights to use that name.

are copyright laws that bad? I doubt there's any kind of problem with simply referencing to the name of a character, especially one that is deeply ingrained in pop culture.

I'm not sure, but didn't Abraham explained the meaning of the symbol when he showed it to David? I think that David didn't knew much about pop culture when he got into the factory, and I don't think they learned much about pop culture there, so it's possible he hasn't learned about Superman.

Sanderman, the ultimate epic!

Only two powers:

Active power: Whatever he writes becomes true.

Prime invincibility: Sharders protect him from everything.

Edited by Alfa

• Chaos locked this topic