True. It just... sorta floored me as a revelation.

(Also, if anyone can recommend ways to research history, I'm all ears. I tend to assume all information online is misinformation)

I really enjoy the "Extra history" series on youtube, produced by a channel named "Extra credits". It's basically a few different mini-series on a few different historical topics. They had a series(3 or so videos) about the "Battle of Kursk(or something like that)" which happened in WW2 and another series about the resources of WW2.

(This is mostly not mis-information)

Edited by ChickenPlague

Try documentaries by BBC or other reputable sources. Look for firsthand accounts, images.....

It's basically impossible to have a totally accurate view of what happened, what causes for things were, everyone has different opinions and their experiences will slant whatever they produce, no matter how "objective" they are. Absorb a lot of information, check the sources and think critically about it all is the best honest advice I can give.

True. It just... sorta floored me as a revelation.

(Also, if anyone can recommend ways to research history, I'm all ears. I tend to assume all information online is misinformation)

If your public library subscribes to scholarly databases like EBSCOHost, you could access those with your library card. The articles you'll find there are from reputable sources, and you can limit the search to print originals only, if you'd rather stick with periodicals and book chapters.

I watched a documentary called The World Wars a few years ago that I liked. It focused more on World War 2, but covered both of them. What interested me the most was the segment it had on the great depression. I found it fascinating how the tensions left over from the first world war evolved to spark the second.

Though, I had to leave the room when it got to the holocaust. I couldn't handle it. 

Also, I'm studying the American political parties right now and I found a table of comparisons for them: post-14607-0-79954500-1461688898_thumb.j

The Libertarian Party is pretty much the only middle ground! And I don't really agree with them either . . . I want to be an Independent.

We didn't not know about World War II or anything, but it just dawned on me that we mostly covered it either in terms of how it impacted domestic policy (during the war) or International Policy afterward. Actual, World War II itself? Nope.

Also, it might be a major point that I'm Irish, so we focused more on Irelands history than England's. But still.  :mellow:

I feel very self-concious and ashamed right now. 

The Irish Neutrality (at least openly) certainly gives you interesting perspective. It actually makes some sense that the war itself isn't huge in your history lessons.

The Irish Neutrality (at least openly) certainly gives you interesting perspective. It actually makes some sense that the war itself isn't huge in your history lessons.

There's also liable to be a big difference in historical coverage in Ireland vs. Northern Ireland.

There's also liable to be a big difference in historical coverage in Ireland vs. Northern Ireland.

I concur.

Yes.

Northern Irish history is...complicated. The fact that many of the public figures who were associated with tragedies, incidents and controversies are not only still active but, in some cases, in government makes it more so.

Edited by Quiver

Since everyone is going about WWII and similar periods... please tell me that you know what Great Starvation is (or, more accurately: Famine Genocide). Please. I heard that people are taught about Holocaust but Famine Genocide is less talked about and that a lot of people haven't even heard about that.

I always assumed that it's not the way it is, but since I'm here and you are here, I can check that. So. Who heard about Famine Genocide?

Edited by Oversleep

Since everyone is going about WWII and similar periods... please tell me that you know what Great Starvation is (or, more accurately: Famine Genocide). Please. I heard that people are taught about Holocaust but Famine Genocide is less talked about and that a lot of people haven't even heard about that.

I always assumed that it's not the way it is, but since I'm here and you are here, I can check that. So. Who heard about Famine Genocide?

Never heard of it.

*googles*

O.O

:wacko::(

There are, unfortunately, a lot of terrible events that are not as well covered as they should be.

As an example...this. I'm afraid I haven't ever heard of this before.

I have heard of it, but I hadn't until I was in college. Even when I did, it wasn't for a history class but rather a Political Science course focusing on Stalin's politics. As everyone has said, several atrocities have become little more than footnotes. A scary thought...

I haven't heard of it. Then again, my school hasn't covered WWII in much depth (most in-depth was probably English in Middle School), so it could be because of that...

Groan... I wouldnt be able to stand younger me... not without giving me a good slap.

Still, I think that is a sign of evolving as a person, the fact that you cant stand your younger self.

Younger Me: Drinking is bad!

Present Me: (glares and orders a shot to tolerate this whippersnapper)

Future Me: Dead from liver disease

You know that should at least amount to something. That is impressive.

I never managed to balance a spoon on my nose, so color me impressed. :P

You might want to add being a totally wonderful, creative, kind and supportive person to that list.

Aww, thanks! :D By the way, Morz, the secret is not paying any attention to the world around you. :ph34r: It makes people annoyed, but it's so worth it.

Let's apply the power of spin to this resume, shall we? :ph34r:

Experience: 

• Directed and initiated multiple organization projects with practical benefits
  • Participated in paid customer service initiatives 
  • Wrote piece encouraging fellow students to attain personal fitness goals 

Skills 

• Evaluating entertainment choices in real time 
  • Effectively using downtime to improve personal health 
  • Time-effective cooking 
  • Low-cost, high-yield entertainment 

Accomplishments 

• Assimilated long and complex schematic of cause and effect in extremely short period of time, with 90% retention rate
  • Performed quality test on popular items in a time-effective manner 
  • Participated in community- and team-building activities at a young age 

You're welcome. :ph34r:

Thank you. Words cannot describe the glory of this masterpiece. Truly, you are a great artist.

Mistrunner, every babysit? Respnsibility.

Team sports? Teamwork skills.

Had a school leadership position/title/anything? Leadership skills!

You can also write things like good interpersonal skills (you're friends with all of us just through the power of text!)

You could also write that you read a lot - if you want a job at a library or bookstore or something it might help.

Thank you! :D This is wonderful advice.

Maybe I can add something about participation in a certain collaborative writing project. :P

And if they ask why they should hire you

"Because you're hiring"

I actually got asked why I wanted to work at the Ymca I work at now in my job interview, and my answer basically was, because I have the training and you're hiring. (Umm duhh) I don't know if there's a question that seems as dumb in job interviews as this one.

I actually got asked why I wanted to work at the Ymca I work at now in my job interview, and my answer basically was, because I have the training and you're hiring. (Umm duhh) I don't know if there's a question that seems as dumb in job interviews as this one.

I think you're supposed to talk about how devoted you are to the values the company stands for and how passionate you are about their work etc.