Hoid with the bead of Lerasium (Spoilers)

So for everyone who knows Hoid, He hold a bead of Lerasium. (Which is able to turn anyone into a mistborn)

I was wondering what other people think about this. like What purpose does he have for it?

My theory is that he is saving it for a character in the Stormlight Archive. Mainly for Kaladen. Reason for thinking this is, in Words of Radiance, Kaladen sees Syl die. I know she "dies" in WoR. But what if in future books he Actually fully dies and Kaladen never gets her back? So Hoid comes in and helps him by giving him The Bead. Maybe Kaladen needs to get Hoids flute back then gives it to him? also if Kaladen becomes a Mistborn in the Roshar It would be super interesting to see how that would implement that world.

What are your thoughts, who do you think Hoid would give the bead too? Or does he have a different purpose for it? 

What future Book would you like to see Hoid bring allomancy into? Warbreaker series, Stormlight Archive, Elantris Series?

Well he originally wanted it for himself to gain allomancy and there is some pretty strong evidence that he does have allomancy so it may be for that. I doubt it's just to give to a random character though, particularly to Kal, Hoid is playing the long game, he's directly stated that he'll watch Roshar burn if it means achieving his greater goal.

Plus he stole that bead several centuries ago by the time of Stormlight so that would be particularly unlikely.

I'm finding it really hard to reconcile the fact that it's clear he's using Allomancy in WoR and that WoB is he didn't ingest the bead. Either he used it as a spike (which I find very unlikely, considering his, ah, handicap) or a metalmind that somehow grants Allomancy.

Would anything actually happen if Kaladin were to hypothetically swallow the bead of Lerasium? His spirit web connects him to Roshar, not Scadrial. I would believe that to gain the magic system of another world, one would have to have some type of connection and identity with that planet (or at least the Shards associated with that planet). 

Unless one of Kal's parents is from Scadrial...then it could work ;)

Pallonian, that is true...on Scadrial. But is it like a Rosetta Stone and can re-write everyone's spirit web, regardless of where you come from?

If you already have some connection and identity to Scadrial, having Lerasium rewrite your Scadrian spirit-web to allow you to become a Mistborn is one thing, but can it do the same for a Nalthian? The majority of the WoB that I've seen so far seems to imply it re-writes the spirit-web for Scadrians. The only WoB I've seen that appears to apply for off-worlders is paraphrased (which I am doubtful of) and doesn't even show the question.

Well Hoid may have split the bead and use it just a part to became a Mistborn, He doesn't need the power of a Lerasium Mistborn I suppose. Also a regolar Mistborn will be good to him.

I think he wanted Allomancy just for Emotional Allomancy and to Compound his Feruchemy.

Pallonian, that is true...on Scadrial. But is it like a Rosetta Stone and can re-write everyone's spirit web, regardless of where you come from?

If you already have some connection and identity to Scadrial, having Lerasium rewrite your Scadrian spirit-web to allow you to become a Mistborn is one thing, but can it do the same for a Nalthian? The majority of the WoB that I've seen so far seems to imply it re-writes the spirit-web for Scadrians. The only WoB I've seen that appears to apply for off-worlders is paraphrased (which I am doubtful of) and doesn't even show the question.

The main evidence that we have of Lerasium giving Allomancy to non-Scadriens is that Hoid appears to have Allomancy. There is this WoB as well, but keep in mind that it is paraphrased (is this the paraphrased WoB you were referring to?). I am dubious of paraphrased WoB as well, but even transcribed WoB come to us through the efforts of a fan. I trust paraphrased WoB at least on the content of the quote, if not the exact wording.

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)
Lerasium overwrites Spiritual DNA. It can do some interesting things, and can overwrite your Spiritual DNA in different ways if you do it right. If a Surgebinder ate lerasium, he would become an Allomancer, but Brandon implied other things could be done.

Well he originally wanted it for himself to gain allomancy and there is some pretty strong evidence that he does have allomancy so it may be for that. I doubt it's just to give to a random character though, particularly to Kal, Hoid is playing the long game, he's directly stated that he'll watch Roshar burn if it means achieving his greater goal.

Plus he stole that bead several centuries ago by the time of Stormlight so that would be particularly unlikely.

We have confirmation that Hoid doesn't always understand why he is doing the things he does, he only has a sense of where he needs to be and when, and probably some hints on what he needs to do/say. It is very possible that Hoid had no idea why he felt that he needed to steal the bead, but he guessed that it was because he would at one point need to use it to become an allomancer, which is where we get the WoB about his original intentions for the Lerasium bead. I wholeheartedly believe that if Hoid felt that he was being pushed to giving someone the bead (if he still has it), he would do so.

Edited by King's Twit

King's Twit, the main reason why I don't worry about Hoid having allomancy is that since he was at the Shattering and knew the Vessels before they took up their Shards, I would easily believe that he has a Connection with each of the Shards. Which could be enough for him to be able to access their magics. 

We have confirmation that Hoid doesn't always understand why he is doing the things he does, he only has a sense of where he needs to be and when, and probably some hints on what he needs to do/say. It is very possible that Hoid had no idea why he felt that he needed to steal the bead, but he guessed that it was because he would at one point need to use it to become an allomancer, which is where we get the WoB about his original intentions for the Lerasium bead. I wholeheartedly believe that if Hoid felt that he was being pushed to giving someone the bead (if he still has it), he would do so.

He did have an idea, he wanted to become an allomancer, we have direct WoB on that. Maybe, but there still needs to be a reason to give it to that person, one related to his ultimate goals. He wouldn't follow those directions if he didn't think they were helping him.

I'm also highly skeptical that he actually receives any compulsions like that, it seems far more likely that he is simply moved to a world at a particular time. We know that he is frequently wrong or just sort of wandering, not sure what he's supposed to do. If he was receiving magical guidance on specific actions then he wouldn't not understand what to do.

He did have an idea, he wanted to become an allomancer, we have direct WoB on that. Maybe, but there still needs to be a reason to give it to that person, one related to his ultimate goals. He wouldn't follow those directions if he didn't think they were helping him.

I'm also highly skeptical that he actually receives any compulsions like that, it seems far more likely that he is simply moved to a world at a particular time. We know that he is frequently wrong or just sort of wandering, not sure what he's supposed to do. If he was receiving magical guidance on specific actions then he wouldn't not understand what to do.

If he knew what Lerasium had been used for in the past, then he might assume that if he feels compelled to find one of these beads it is because he is supposed to become an Allomancer, which would lead to WoB like the one I believe you are quoting. I understand that this is a bit weak of an argument; maybe Hoid wasn't following his Feruchemical instincts at this point, and just personally thought that it would help him achieve his goals if he was an Allomancer.

It also appears that his senses for where he needs to be are way more specific than just what planet he needs to be on. Planets are huge. We saw in his adventures as Wit that he was in the exact right place and time for both the reappearances of Taln and Jasnah. He also just happened to be Wax's new carriage driver just in time to eavesdrop on one of the only two or three conversations Wax ever has with Harmony. I am pretty convinced that Hoid is just heavily tapping Fortune, and it works like Liquid Luck from Harry Potter where it just gives you a sense of what you need to do without giving you any sense of why. Hoid has to try to deduce that part for himself.

Edited by King's Twit

Well Hoid may have split the bead and use it just a part to became a Mistborn, He doesn't need the power of a Lerasium Mistborn I suppose. Also a regolar Mistborn will be good to him.

I think he wanted Allomancy just for Emotional Allomancy and to Compound his Feruchemy.

There was a WoB about Hoid and lerasium. Somebody asked about splitting the bead and Brandon said that Hoid would rather burn it whole. I can't find it right now.

If he knew what Lerasium had been used for in the past, then he might assume that if he feels compelled to find one of these beads it is because he is supposed to become an Allomancer, which would lead to WoB like the one I believe you are quoting. I understand that this is a bit weak of an argument; maybe Hoid wasn't following his Feruchemical instincts at this point, and just personally thought that it would help him achieve his goals if he was an Allomancer.

It also appears that his senses for where he needs to be are way more specific than just what planet he needs to be on. Planets are huge. We saw in his adventures as Wit that he was in the exact right place and time for both the reappearances of Taln and Jasnah. He also just happened to be Wax's new carriage driver just in time to eavesdrop on one of the only two or three conversations Wax ever has with Harmony. I am pretty convinced that Hoid is just heavily tapping Fortune, and it works like Liquid Luck from Harry Potter where it just gives you a sense of what you need to do without giving you any sense of why. Hoid has to try to deduce that part for himself.

SH spoilers

He really doesn't seem the least bit confused or vague about it when he takes the Lerasium, he just strolls up and takes it.

SH spoilers

He really doesn't seem the least bit confused or vague about it when he takes the Lerasium, he just strolls up and takes it.

Does Hoid ever really seem confused about what he's doing? I just think he's fully in "go with the flow" mode and just does whatever his Feruchemy tells him he should do with confidence, even though the confidence is not founded on any surety about what he's actually doing, it comes from his trust in his Feruchemical senses.

Folks, didn't we just have a WoB that Hoid is, indeed, and Allomancer? 

If that's the case, and until Peter shows up and tells us this did not happen, I am going to assume that Hoid hasin fact eaten the bead of lerasium he picked up.

Edited by emailanimal

Q: We know that Hoid has a bead of Lerasium, that he obtained during the events of The Well of Ascension. As of the most recent Cosmere book chronologically, (The Alloy of Law, I believe,) has it been used?

A: Well, umm... probably not exactly in the way you're thinking...

Q: Okay, specifically, has it been used either by Hoid burning it or by him giving it to someone else to burn?

A: Well, Hoid's a very resourceful person, and he finds uses for most of the things he gets ahold of, though they're not always the expected uses. So yeah, he's found something to do with it, but I'll have to RAFO that one, because it's going to come up in later books and I don't want to spoil things.

I take that as Brandon saying he did not ingest the Lerasium.

I take that as Brandon saying he did not ingest the Lerasium.

There is another WoB, from the current tour, in which in response to a question about Hoid's powers he says something like "I mentioned before that he has Allomancy".  

Until Peter corrects this to "I mentioned again that he has Freuchemy", I insist that it implies that Hoid has consumed the bead of lerasium.

Edited by emailanimal

There is another, WoB, from the current tour in which in response to a question about Hoid's powers he says something like "I mentioned before that he has Allomancy".

Until Peter corrects this to "I mentioned again that he has Freuchemy", I insist that it implies that Hoid has consumed the bead of lerasium.

Hoid has...interesting ways of achieving his goals. Sometimes they're not what people think (per WoB). While he may have burned the Lerasium, he may have done something very different instead. I don't even know if Lerasium could rewrite his Spirit Web that way, since he's something not quite human anymore.

jW

A simple argument could be that Hoid was human pre-Shattering, but since everything has been going on, he has been collecting elements of Adonalsium - having a bead of Lerasium turned Elend Venture into one of the most powerful Mistborn who ever lived - Hoid has a bead, alongside other relics of power throughout the Cosmere.

My hope is that we end up with a showdown with another collector of Cosmere artifacts...

Simply eating lerasium does not make one "not human".  In Cosmere books and in WoBs, "not human" has been used to refer to:

* hemalurgic constructs: kandra, koloss, Inquisitors

* Aimians: both races, although we only was one race.

* Parshendi/Parshmen

Two of the three appear to be sentient lives that emerged through different evolutionary paths. One - results of heavy modification due to tempering with Investiture.  So, there may be something to an argument that getting Invested through one's eyebrows changes one's humanity.  But it would take more than a lerasium bead - Elend did not stop being human, after all.

I'm not disputing that he's an Allomancer. I'm disputing that he had to have ingested the Lerasium to achieve that ability. We don't know what he did with it, but those WoBs indicate that he uses Allomancy through some other fashion.

And with this, we already know that Hoid uses Feruchemy to know where to go and when.

Edited by PallonianFire