Want To Make A Video-Game With Me?

I would like to apologize to everyone who has expressed interest. I have not been contacted by the leader of the group in a while. I don't know when we are going to commence working on the project. Everyone who has expressed interest has been noted. IF we ever start work you will be remembered. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I would like to say I would LOVE to help out with writing the story and building the world. Such as, will the player have a choice as to who they be (Example: Assassin's Creed Syndicate.) Or would the game change the view depending on who is most important. Oh and BTW what audience are you thinking of for this game, I know it's an adult book but I'm only 13 and my friends and I absolutely LOVED it, (It's much tamer than Mistborn 2)

EDIT: realised my status is now BRIDGEMAN. Bridge Four!

Edited by Tobysmouse
Forgot something

Hate being the one who has to say this, but you should really keep it down, guys. 

I love that so many here seem to be excited about making a game like this, but at least the initial idea from the OP poster seems way, way too ambitious. I mean seriously "like Skyrim". Yeah, you are not going to make a game similar to a AAA game worked on by hundreds of proffessionals with less than a dozen fans with few availible hours to contribute to it. I am not writing this to crush anyone's dreams. I just have a bit experience doing software projects, so I would recommend you guys to just keep it small and simple. Don't try to make some massive 3D open-world game. You are not going to finish that. I don't need voidbinding to see that. 

But I think you could make a really cool game if you kept it small and rather simple. How about ...

2D game, playing Szeth doing his assassinations. That would just cover a couple of missions and just windrunner abilities, so it wouldn't be too much. And it would still allow you to have plenty of cool things to try out and play with. Szeth lashing himself in the various directions could make a cool dodge-mechanic. Coupled with a big number of enemies it could make for a really cool little game. Add to that the ability to lash random environmental objects and you have another cool little mechanics you could add. 

Try to make a game like that and if it works out you can THEN try and make your AAA 3D open-world game that beats GTA and Skyrim at once. 

5 hours ago, Amaror said:

Try to make a game like that and if it works out you can THEN try and make your AAA 3D open-world game that beats GTA and Skyrim at once.

Or alternatively, try and make a MOD for an existing game such as Skyrim. Edit: or e.g. one of the adventure game engines out there.

Also, the engine used for gamebooks such as 80 Days and Sorcery is available at http://www.inklestudios.com/ink/ if you want to go that route.

Edited by Argel

30 minutes ago, Argel said:

Or alternatively, try and make a MOD for an existing game such as Skyrim. Edit: or e.g. one of the adventure game engines out there.

Also, the engine used for gamebooks such as 80 Days and Sorcery is available at http://www.inklestudios.com/ink/ if you want to go that route.

They could but it's not very easy to add new gameplay mechanics to a game when it wasn't build for them. And surgebinding would kind of need that. I think. I haven't personally modded anything for skyrim, so maybe it's the best most open gameengine ever and you can mod in literally anything. Though I doubt it, even though there are some great mods for Skyrim out there.

And even then making a full conversion mod for skyrim with stormlight theme would still be an incredible amount of work. But on the other hand having 2D lashing mechanics in, for example, Unity would not be too hard to pull of. It's just another way of manipulating how your character moves after all and Unity allows a lot of freedom in that regard. Which I can attest to since I have allready done my fair shair of Unity programming.

I feel like the "make a mod" comment was posed due to the talking down of scale earlier. Starting with a mod is much less ambitious than a full game. It also has an established base to build off of, though you have already mentioned the limits that has.

Yeah, mods give you a decent starting place. Skyrim may be a bit too 1st person oriented to make e.g. lashings easily work (you can go 3rd person, but it looks clunky). On the other hand, there are several mods out for it including magic mods, which may be worth a look. 

Gary's Mod (http://store.steampowered.com/app/4000/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1)  may also be worth a look.

The problems with mods are why also why I mentioned adventure games and gamebooks. Might be easier to start there, though story becomes the focus then.

Edited by Argel

On 07/09/2016 at 1:42 AM, Amaror said:

Hate being the one who has to say this, but you should really keep it down, guys. 

I love that so many here seem to be excited about making a game like this, but at least the initial idea from the OP poster seems way, way too ambitious. I mean seriously "like Skyrim". Yeah, you are not going to make a game similar to a AAA game worked on by hundreds of proffessionals with less than a dozen fans with few availible hours to contribute to it. I am not writing this to crush anyone's dreams. I just have a bit experience doing software projects, so I would recommend you guys to just keep it small and simple. Don't try to make some massive 3D open-world game. You are not going to finish that. I don't need voidbinding to see that. 

But I think you could make a really cool game if you kept it small and rather simple. How about ...

2D game, playing Szeth doing his assassinations. That would just cover a couple of missions and just windrunner abilities, so it wouldn't be too much. And it would still allow you to have plenty of cool things to try out and play with. Szeth lashing himself in the various directions could make a cool dodge-mechanic. Coupled with a big number of enemies it could make for a really cool little game. Add to that the ability to lash random environmental objects and you have another cool little mechanics you could add. 

I don't think the idea here is to make 'The Next Skyrim'. We just want to make a 3d action game set on Roshar.

I have some ideas, how about instead of being open world. It plays something like God of War. Except with lashings and shard blades. Still, I think however it turns out it will be a fun project to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the Indroduce Yourself post, and this is my response.

I think this is a brilliant idea.  I am a bit of a programmer, and could help with coding.

I want to know, though, did we get permission from Sanderson?

Also, in order for the game to be successful (assuming we get permission) I would place the game as a sort of prequel to the SA series, meaning that you would need more inside information about the history of Roshar.  Also, we would need more knowledge about the workings of the surges, as we have only really seen 6 of them, and only 4 of them closely (gravitation, Adhesion, Illumination, Transformation, Friction, and Progression(growth and Regrowth)).  You would be missing Transportation, Decay, Cohesion and Tension, though we can sort of guess about these based off of the names of the orders, and the names of the surges.  Because of all this, I think the game would be years in the making.

17 hours ago, RubiksCube said:

Also, we would need more knowledge about the workings of the surges. (snip) You would be missing Transportation, Decay, Cohesion and Tension, though we can sort of guess about these based off of the names of the orders, and the names of the surges.  Because of all this, I think the game would be years in the making.

I agree with this statement, because I've looked at the Orders from what might be the perspective of a different game type. Stoneward's have almost nothing mentioned because we haven't seen either of their surges, together or in their adjacent Order.

On the subject of "guessing based on names" the Stoneward/Bondsmith theories on Tension (and it's use with Cohesion) just seem... out there to me. Regardless of game type, it's best to wait until we see/understand how they work a bit better.

18 hours ago, RubiksCube said:

I would place the game as a sort of prequel to the SA series, meaning that you would need more inside information about the history of Roshar.

This makes sense, but I'm curious what era of history you want to do. I only ask because getting info on history could help with building the idea of the world while waiting on the surges. Brandon is tight-lipped about the Recreance/Hierocracy/Desolation specifics, so he might be more willing to give insight about other time periods. *Might need to edit this to sound clearer once I'm more awake*

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2016 at 8:42 AM, Amaror said:

On 9/6/2016 at 1:35 PM, Argel said:

On 9/6/2016 at 2:30 PM, The One Who Connects said:

I feel like the "make a mod" comment was posed due to the talking down of scale earlier. Starting with a mod is much less ambitious than a full game. It also has an established base to build off of, though you have already mentioned the limits that has.

I am reviving this thread briefly, because yesterday I had an idea that made me think of this thread.

A good candidate for something to make a mod for... Mount and blade warband perhaps? This game has been around long enough that mods are not uncommon. More importantly though, I feel that the mechanics could be adapted quite well to Roshar. Calradia is in a lot of ways similar to Roshar...

Possibly for this game, we would not include surgebinding. The game would rather be set after the heirocracy but before the events in WoK. If that is the case, it would be more about capturing Roshar's setting and less about telling the exact same story that Sanderson has told in the books.

On the other hand, this game probably could allow for surgebinding mechanics. But, at least initially, having surgebinders and voidbringers shouldn't be the goal. If everything else gets done, than it could be considered.

Shardplate could be an extremely rare armor that the player can get. You could never buy it, and the only people who could wear it would be the player and their heros. Getting it would probably be fabulously difficult because the player won't start out as a shardbearer. If the player has ascended to high enough rank in society, they will also have the opportunity to get shards by challenging a shardbearer to a duel and borrowing a king's shards, but this will be difficult to stage.

The nations like Swadia, Saranid Empire, etc. would be replaced with those of Alethkar, Jah Keved, etc. Titles like "Emir" would change to "brightlord." If the player started out with dark eyes, Vorin nations would not allow you to become a lord under them, but other nations still would allow it.

Highstorms wouldn't be too hard to include. If you had your army outside (not lodged in a city, castle, or manor) during a highstorm, morale would drop since they had to whether it in shelters. Possibly at some point it would be cool to let the game show an actual view of what a highstorm looks like, but that won't really be neccessary, because most of the time, most people try to get inside when a highstorm is anywhere near, so you don't tend to see them.

The shattered plains might be a very difficult map to design. On the other hand, since this (initially) would only cover the events before WoK, there wouldn't necessarily need to be a shattered plains map. It isn't even explored yet.

Pretty much the game would be about managing an army on Roshar. You would make sure you have enough spheres to pay your army, recruit and train spearman etc, maybe try to set yourself up as a brightlord or even a king. Like mount and blade warband, except the setting changes from Calradia to Roshar. And there are shards, which would be an interesting touch I think.

This is just a random idea for how "stormlight video game" could work. If people aren't really working on this that's completely chill. I'm just putting this out there because I figured I might as well share this thought.

• 7 months later...

An initial idea about an RTS could be a simple game in which the player can decide whether to play as the Alethi(Sadios and Dalenar(don't know if I wrote them correctly)) or the Listeners. Sadios' faction could have as a specific unit the bridge crews, lower cost and faster-produced soldiers but with less HP, and Dalenar could have mechanical bridges and slower-produced but more powerful soldiers. There could also be a kind of hero creation for the shardbearers.

As for the map's choice, it would initially be limited to the shattered planes. 

• 6 months later...

So, is this still happening in any respect? I am an aerospace engineer by day, but dive into a lot of various coding projects on my own. Was going to start goofing around with lashing as a unity project, but thought I'd see if anything had been done yet.

It is an ambitious project, but crazier open source projects have been accomplished!

On 10/02/2016 at 3:01 AM, StormlightTheVideogame said:

But how do you recharge your spheres? I don't think having your character wait until the next high storm would make the gameplay very engaging. So I thought of a fabriel that uses a gem heart to store stormlight and then recharge lesser spheres. Don't think it exists yet. Maybe Sanderson will like the idea. 

They, or something like them, already exists.

Oathbringer Spoilers:

In Shadesmar, they have a way of transferring Stormlight from spheres into some kind of storage device. I think it was a gemstone.

The Thaylan bank probably has something similar too, back in the physical realm.

• Chaos locked this topic