What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

Hm. I wasn't planning on watching Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but I stumbled across a Donnie compilation and that was it for me. Some of the humor I'm unimpressed by, but the characters and the brother relationships? I love it so much.

Especially Donnie.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to watch The Owl House which I'm caught up with now. I didn't expect much to be honest so I'm surprised. Can't believe Disney made an isekai. Characters are fun, magic system is fun. Considering the cancelation I'm honestly surprised the second season feels less rushed than the first one. Looking forward to the last two episodes, whenever they come. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2023 at 7:45 AM, Robin Sedai said:

Going to rewatch Ghosts, today is Ben Willbond's 50th birthday (he plays a major character) and it reminded me of just how much I love that show. :wub::wub::wub:

WAITWAITWAIT

the one on cbs isnt the original? theres one its based off of?? but it doesnt have all the same characters-

11 minutes ago, shortcake said:

WAITWAITWAIT

the one on cbs isnt the original? theres one its based off of?? but it doesnt have all the same characters-

Yep the CBS one is the American adaptation! they changed a bunch of the ghosts to ones from American-specific periods of history, also to make it more its own thing. The BBC one is really good, I haven't watched the American version yet but I'm planning to soon!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 1:31 PM, Robin Sedai said:

Yep the CBS one is the American adaptation! they changed a bunch of the ghosts to ones from American-specific periods of history, also to make it more its own thing. The BBC one is really good, I haven't watched the American version yet but I'm planning to soon!

So I downloaded the first season (sshh, don't tell anyone) and I'm enjoying it!

On 4/3/2023 at 11:39 AM, Morningtide said:

Shadow and Bone is gooooooood!!! Also I'm considering starting Lockwood and Co. I'm running out of things that have been recommended to me. Does anyone know if this is good?

I highly recommend Lockwood and Co. It is a really well done adaption of the books. all things considered that is. I think I have already watched it twice.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Grave of the Fireflies tonight. It's been a long, long time since a movie got me crying this hard. It was good, it was beautiful, and I'm sure that at some point in my life I will feel the need to come back to it. Right now though, I feel like I don't want to watch it ever again.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Aftersun. Took me a while especially because the trailer made me think it was a holiday film. Nope, was pretty wrong there.

The film absolutely wrecked me. I cried for an hour after it and felt so empty. And I think so much of the film just hits home for anyone who gets what's going on in there. I really loved the subtlety of the cinematography: the way it doesn't want to hold your hand (though IMO it does become increasingly obvious in a slow burn way), so the film is unremarkable until you pick up one of the hints and suddenly it's transmuted into the incredible and the sublime. There's some poetry in that as well, I think.

Spoiler comments:

Spoiler

The strobe light rave scenes were awful for me, but I powered through them and I think they're powerful in terms of the nature of memory, and imagery. The fact that we're following both child and Adult Sophie so we always glimpse hints of Calum's depression but it's never spelled out for us. 

And the Under Pressure dance scene, especially with the raw interpolation and David Bowie and Freddie Mercury. It's a deliberate choice I think that makes a lot more sense when you realise that for whatever reason, Calum and Adult Sophie are estranged. (Note: I personally think it's strongly implied Calum killed himself, and this is their 'last dance', because this is the last time Sophie sees her father again. Which makes the rawness of those scenes with Freddie Mercury vocalising why and why they can't give themselves and love one more chance all the more painful because we now know that for whatever reason, it wasn't going to pan out and that's just the nature of the beast sometimes.)

The ending with Calum putting away the video recorder and walking down a corridor through double doors into a glimpse of that rave and the doors closing also really hits it, especially compared to the original more complex ending which had pans between Calum and Sophie, and back to the two of them at the Turkish sea.

Because the doors may close, but Sophie never had closure. And will never get closure. That's why she's watching those tapes again and again. He walks off the 'film', but into that liminal space of Sophie's memories, her 'mind camera.'

Mescal definitely deserved the nomination for this one. So much of what he's supposed to convey is never quite shown in plain sight but he managed it anyway.

Edited by Kasimir