What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

Just watched Don't Look Now. I had heard about the film and it’s twist ending before watching this and it was mesmerizing to watch. I was actually surprised that the 

Spoiler

Dwarf woman

featured so little. From what I had heard about this film I thought he was being haunted and hounded by the red coat the whole film but before he actually chases after her she only appears twice.

New up will be a series of documentaries by Louis Malle.

9 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

The Bad Batch pilot!  Quite good, in my opinion.

It was fun, I have a couple minor quibbles, only one of which will likely be a quibble throughout the series. 

Spoiler

Caleb's voice acting did not fit his character design. I am very happy we did not spend too much time with him. 

Most of Wrecker's lines are cringe and some of them were and probably will be recycled throughout the series (i.e. "I like him/her!" I'm going to be soooo sick of that cliche when this is all over).

1 minute ago, Orlionra said:

It was fun, I have a couple minor quibbles, only one of which will likely be a quibble throughout the series. 

Hide contents

Caleb's voice acting did not fit his character design. I am very happy we did not spend too much time with him. 

Most of Wrecker's lines are cringe and some of them were and probably will be recycled throughout the series (i.e. "I like him/her!" I'm going to be soooo sick of that cliche when this is all over).

Spoiler

Oh, I'm right there with you on Caleb's voice acting.  Hearing the voice of a forty-year-old man out of a fifteen-year-old's mouth was incredibly disconcerting.

As for Wrecker, I'm not super annoyed, but I have a high annoyance threshold, and I got so surprised by actually liking Omega that I just went along for the ride with the rest of the episode.

3 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh, I'm right there with you on Caleb's voice acting.  Hearing the voice of a forty-year-old man out of a fifteen-year-old's mouth was incredibly disconcerting.

As for Wrecker, I'm not super annoyed, but I have a high annoyance threshold, and I got so surprised by actually liking Omega that I just went along for the ride with the rest of the episode.

Spoiler

I, too, was surprised at kinda liking Omega. After all, when I saw her in the trailer I exclaimed, "Boooo! Keep your storming kids out of my Star Wars story!"

My cat thought I was overreacting. 

13 minutes ago, Orlionra said:
  Hide contents

I, too, was surprised at kinda liking Omega. After all, when I saw her in the trailer I exclaimed, "Boooo! Keep your storming kids out of my Star Wars story!"

My cat thought I was overreacting. 

Spoiler

That was kind of my thought in the trailers, but I had so little to go off of that I think I just put her out of my mind, because I didn't go look around the fandom to see what people thought, so I wasn't absorbing opinions.

@Spren of Kindness Honestly, the Bad Batch episodes of the Clone Wars were some of my least favorite, so I had low expectations going into the series.

Spoiler

I think I went from "I can tolerate Omega" to "I might like Omega" after her brief conversation with Crosshair.

Now I just have to get over Omega reminding me of Moonchild from Neverending Story 

Watching three documentaries by French director Louis Malle. They’re all slice of life and focus on different things.

First is Vive le Tour which is a short film about the 1962 Tour de France. They show a little about the conditions that go on during the race that modern coverage doesn’t show like the drink raids where the riders go a viking on bars and restaurants to get hydrated, the doping, the watchers helping stragglers up the mountain and other little things.

Second was Humain, Trop Humain. It’s focused on a car manufacturing plant assembling a car. It never focuses on one section of production for long, usually a couple cycles of different processes like welding and adjusting the rear door, or it switches focus on smaller sections like the upholstery and wire making process. None of it overstayed it’s welcome except for the sales floor part. It went on a little longer than necessary, especially since it wasn’t even the end of the documentary! One very good thing about this documentary was how ASMR inducing it got since some of the visuals and most of the sounds were tingle inducing so it was very relaxing to watch.

Third up is Place de la République or as I shall call it People Watch the movie. Pretty much Malle talked with various people over 10 days at the Place de la République to get their opinions on stuff and any stories they want to talk about. Various things discussed were work pensions, what it was like being black in Paris, life after Hitler, retirement and even romance. Some people show up a few times like the lottery stand woman and a young woman who even helps them interview a couple people at one point. There were even silly antics like a guy trying to get a policeman to give a good talking too to a guy who stole his parking spot even though it’s a no parking zone and he was double parked. Overall the film was very neutral about giving any opinions and just letting the Parisians give their opinions instead.

Next up is going to be Malle’s documentary on India called Phantom India.

Like 5 years ago I watched the first 2 seasons of Gotham and then stopped abruptly despite liking it. I am currently rewatching the whole series from the beginning. I just got to the first episode of the last season last night.

Penguin and The Riddler make the whole show.

531222e38e6bc18171a5f2431cf42f01.gif

Just finished Wolfwalkers. This is hands down the most impressive 2d animated movie I've ever seen. "A painting in motion" is a concept I've seen a lot in movies and games, and it usually gives great results, but this one. This doesn't imitate a painting, this entire movie is a freaking painting. Simply beautiful. 

On 24.5.2021 at 7:11 AM, Eluvianii said:

Just finished Wolfwalkers. This is hands down the most impressive 2d animated movie I've ever seen. "A painting in motion" is a concept I've seen a lot in movies and games, and it usually gives great results, but this one. This doesn't imitate a painting, this entire movie is a freaking painting. Simply beautiful. 

Yes, what a fantastic movie. Sublime writing as well, the characters in particular. Cartoon Saloon has been delivering amazing animation films for a decade now. Can't wait to see where they go next! (Song of the Sea and Breadwinner are my favorites, although the latter is very different from the rest.)

Most impressive 2D animation would likely go to a Ghibli film or Loving Vincent for me though. The latter being literally completely oil-painted, so there's that :D

12 hours ago, Elegy said:

Yes, what a fantastic movie. Sublime writing as well, the characters in particular. Cartoon Saloon has been delivering amazing animation films for a decade now. Can't wait to see where they go next! (Song of the Sea and Breadwinner are my favorites, although the latter is very different from the rest.)

Most impressive 2D animation would likely go to a Ghibli film or Loving Vincent for me though. The latter being literally completely oil-painted, so there's that :D

Well, that is one movie I didn't know about. To the list it goes. 

• 2 weeks later...

YT channels I follow/watch regularly:

• Jelle's Marble Runs (formerly "Marblelympics") - World-class marble races; I found out about it here on the Shard years ago :D
  • 1bike1world - Scottish guy biking around the world who adopted a wee kitten & became an internet celebrity
  • TwoSetViolin - Young violinists who post funny videos about the classical music world; they have built an online community for music students similar to what we Sander-fans have
  • Joseph Carter the Mink Man (aka  Minkenry channel) - Hunting, fishing, and pest control with trained minks and dogs (Sometimes I wonder if there are "minks" in Stormlight Archives because Brandon somehow knows Joe: they are both LDS and in the SLC area. Seems unlikely, but you never know...)
  • Dad How Do I - What a gift this man is to the world! Many people, young and not so young, didn't have a dad/parent to teach them stuff like how to change a tire or how to unclog a drain. This internet "dad" gives calm and positive instructions that meet a need in our world today.

And of course

• Brandon's YT channel

I watched the movie Rurouni Kenshin: The Final last night. A solid 8.5/10. I think it's the best of the RuroKen movies, even if it's not my favorite live action one overall. The Final has a lot of individual pieces that I like, but something about the first and third movies do it for me. I can't wait to see The Beginning though, as I have a feeling it might be my favorite.