What Are You Watching?

Silverblade5

Finished the Mothra Trilogy today. This is only further confirmation that Mothra is best kaiju. It's more of a kid's series and has some really fun mythology. It also takes the cake for having the most barebones time travel theory I've ever seen.

Watching some clips of rhythmic gymnastics on YouTube and had a Sander-moment (just for fun!):

• When book 2 comes out, might Rithmatist Gymnastics help our heroes win the day?
  • Or, on Roshar, will we ever see Rhythmic Gymnastics of War?

:lol: :lol: OK, OK, apologies for being so silly. Back to my to-do list now.;)

4 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Finished the last episode of Season One of Star Wars: The Bad Batch.  All in all, I enjoyed it.  I'm not as invested as some people I've seen, but I think it was good, and I'm excited to watch the next season with my family.

It's a fun show. Like you, I'm not sure how "invested" I am, but it's been a highlight of Fridays for me. 

Just now, Orlion Blight said:

It's a fun show. Like you, I'm not sure how "invested" I am, but it's been a highlight of Fridays for me. 

Yep.  I think that when Book of Boba Fett comes out, I'm going to fiercely avoid any and all internet conversation about it, and that will help my investment.

Watched Blade Runner 2049. Holy storms that was something. Is it sacrilege if I say I liked this much, much more than the first one? 

I mean, I love the first one, but this was on a league of its own. It also manages to be both more tragic and more hopeful.

I won't be getting over this movie anytime soon. 

7 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Watched Blade Runner 2049. Holy storms that was something. Is it sacrilege if I say I liked this much, much more than the first one? 

I mean, I love the first one, but this was on a league of its own. It also manages to be both more tragic and more hopeful.

I won't be getting over this movie anytime soon. 

I think it's more sacrilegious to say the first one sucked. 

Like I do. I don't much care for it, it insists on itself. 

Finished my Neon Genesis Evangelion rewatch, along with the movie. I let this thing simmer in my head for 6 years and I still don't think I was ready to do it again. It actually was a difficult watch at times.

It's also kind of funny. The first time I watched the last two episodes they quickly became white noise in my head, while EoE played the part of the memorable ending. This time though, while I love the movie, I feel like it was a skeleton where the actual content was in those two episodes. The movie has a lot to tell, yes, but without the psychological trip beforehand it would feel a lot more confusing and rushed. Just like those episodes feel if you haven't watched the movie so I guess they go perfect together.

Another thing I'm surprised about is how positive it all is in the end, considering I convinced myself at the time that it was the most depressing thing I'd ever watched, and therefore the greatest. Oh sweet edge. Episode 25 and most of episode 26 feel hopeless but they're part of the journey to reach an actually very satisfying conclusion, makes you hopeful for the future. The movie is exactly the same except then there's the last scene. I still have a hard time understanding the last scene.

Also, can't believe I didn't like the vocal version of Thanatos and Komm, Süser Tod enough to look them up back then, they're both amazing songs.

On to the rebuilds now.

Edited by Eluvianii

21 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Finished my Neon Genesis Evangelion rewatch, along with the movie. I let this thing simmer in my head for 6 years and I still don't think I was ready to do it again. It actually was a difficult watch at times.

It's also kind of funny. The first time I watched the last two episodes they quickly became white noise in my head, while EoE played the part of the memorable ending. This time though, while I love the movie, I feel like it was a skeleton where the actual content was in those two episodes. The movie has a lot to tell, yes, but without the psychological trip beforehand it would feel a lot more confusing and rushed. Just like those episodes feel if you haven't watched the movie so I guess they go perfect together.

Another thing I'm surprised about is how positive it all is in the end, considering I convinced myself at the time that it was the most depressing thing I'd ever watched, and therefore the greatest. Oh sweet edge. Episode 25 and most of episode 26 feel hopeless but they're part of the journey to reach an actually very satisfying conclusion, makes you hopeful for the future. The movie is exactly the same except then there's the last scene. I still have a hard time understanding the last scene.

Also, can't believe I didn't like the vocal version of Thanatos and Komm, Süser Tod enough to look them up back then, they're both amazing songs.

On to the rebuilds now.

Honestly, the ideal situation would be to have the final tv episodes and End of Evangelion combined. I understand they probably couldn't do it at the time, but that's not going to stop me from wishing for it!

Also, I feel the Third Impact was best made with a movie budget/screen in mind. 

Also, you can't have a party without Komm Süser Tod!

22 hours ago, Orlion Blight said:

Honestly, the ideal situation would be to have the final tv episodes and End of Evangelion combined. I understand they probably couldn't do it at the time, but that's not going to stop me from wishing for it!

Also, I feel the Third Impact was best made with a movie budget/screen in mind. 

Also, you can't have a party without Komm Süser Tod!

Totally not going to play this at birthday parties to people who know nothing about it :ph34r:

I finally got to watch Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0. It's, extremely difficult to describe how this feels. 

The first movie was actually what triggered my becoming an anime fan, after it made me watch the series, fittingly back in 2015.

That story had several endings. The show, the original movie, the manga. All were great and they definitely worked but they had a thing in common. There were always things you expected to see, or things you thought would have been necessary to move the plot, that never actually happened. Then the Rebuilds came promising yet one more. 

3.0 + 1.0 did just about all the things I ever expected to see in this story. The level of closure it has is unreal. Plot threads that were always left hanging were finished. Characters that previously would have died with unresolved issues now get a worthy ending or a chance for a new beginning. 

Some of the biggest and more ambitious theories were confirmed, and I bet a lot more were completely squashed. The only thing I predicted

Spoiler

That the hope Shinji would find, as announced in the preview back in the third movie, would involve finding his previous classmates alive and well, and Toji and Hikari having a kid. 

was confirmed, which I'm childishly happy about. 

The movie surely has problems, a continuity issue or two no doubt, but at the moment I can't see them. To me, this movie was impossibly good, and I don't think a wait has ever been more worth it than this one. 

It was hopeful, uplifting, happy, which are words I never thought I would describe Evangelion as. 

A thing I like in fiction is when an ending is extremely happy, but the characters have been through so much, you know it's well deserved. Well, for me, this movie is exactly that. After the show, after the manga, after the last movies even, this is the kind of ending this characters deserve. I've heard Anno was tired of this franchise. Maybe he just gave us this movie so that we would be satisfied and he could leave it in the past. If that's the case, I'm grateful. I don't really know how he feels about this after so much, but this was the perfect way to send this story off and I feel more satisfied than I'll feel again in a long time. 

On 8/27/2021 at 1:25 AM, Eluvianii said:

I finally got to watch Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0. It's, extremely difficult to describe how this feels. 

The first movie was actually what triggered my becoming an anime fan, after it made me watch the series, fittingly back in 2015.

That story had several endings. The show, the original movie, the manga. All were great and they definitely worked but they had a thing in common. There were always things you expected to see, or things you thought would have been necessary to move the plot, that never actually happened. Then the Rebuilds came promising yet one more. 

3.0 + 1.0 did just about all the things I ever expected to see in this story. The level of closure it has is unreal. Plot threads that were always left hanging were finished. Characters that previously would have died with unresolved issues now get a worthy ending or a chance for a new beginning. 

Some of the biggest and more ambitious theories were confirmed, and I bet a lot more were completely squashed. The only thing I predicted

Hide contents

That the hope Shinji would find, as announced in the preview back in the third movie, would involve finding his previous classmates alive and well, and Toji and Hikari having a kid. 

was confirmed, which I'm childishly happy about. 

The movie surely has problems, a continuity issue or two no doubt, but at the moment I can't see them. To me, this movie was impossibly good, and I don't think a wait has ever been more worth it than this one. 

It was hopeful, uplifting, happy, which are words I never thought I would describe Evangelion as. 

A thing I like in fiction is when an ending is extremely happy, but the characters have been through so much, you know it's well deserved. Well, for me, this movie is exactly that. After the show, after the manga, after the last movies even, this is the kind of ending this characters deserve. I've heard Anno was tired of this franchise. Maybe he just gave us this movie so that we would be satisfied and he could leave it in the past. If that's the case, I'm grateful. I don't really know how he feels about this after so much, but this was the perfect way to send this story off and I feel more satisfied than I'll feel again in a long time. 

Wooo! Finally had time to watch it! My main comment will be that rumors of Anno's hatred or contempt for the series and/or anime and its fans are and were overblown. You do not spend that much time and energy to craft such a good movie to say, "grow up, nerds".

I feel what's closer to the truth is that Anno was frustrated that his message didn't come across clearly in previous iterations, due to budget constraints with the original TV series, people focusing on that one scene that got some choked up in End of Evangelion, or just its immense iconic and bankable status. Throughout the movies, you could see choices being made that made his message clearer than it ever has been, even though it hasn't changed much. 

I hope he's proud of what he did. And I look forward to the future meme wars of which ending is better :lol:

22 hours ago, Orlion Blight said:

Wooo! Finally had time to watch it! My main comment will be that rumors of Anno's hatred or contempt for the series and/or anime and its fans are and were overblown. You do not spend that much time and energy to craft such a good movie to say, "grow up, nerds".

I feel what's closer to the truth is that Anno was frustrated that his message didn't come across clearly in previous iterations, due to budget constraints with the original TV series, people focusing on that one scene that got some choked up in End of Evangelion, or just its immense iconic and bankable status. Throughout the movies, you could see choices being made that made his message clearer than it ever has been, even though it hasn't changed much. 

I hope he's proud of what he did. And I look forward to the future meme wars of which ending is better :lol:

Yeah, I started getting that impression as my mind cooled off (my original post were just raw unprocessed thoughts like two minutes after watching it). Like, the message is too positive and well conveyed. And you're right, it feels like a power-charged version of EoE's message.

And I can definitely see the memes coming. Still recently, half the comments I found about the Rebuilds online were people being condescending and completely convinced that the entire saga was Anno pointing and laughing at weebs and that a happy ending was factually impossible. 

I did also read a little comment from Anno about the movie and he seems to genuinely hope that people enjoy it. He's probably happy with the result. 

15 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Yeah, I started getting that impression as my mind cooled off (my original post were just raw unprocessed thoughts like two minutes after watching it). Like, the message is too positive and well conveyed. And you're right, it feels like a power-charged version of EoE's message.

And I can definitely see the memes coming. Still recently, half the comments I found about the Rebuilds online were people being condescending and completely convinced that the entire saga was Anno pointing and laughing at weebs and that a happy ending was factually impossible. 

I did also read a little comment from Anno about the movie and he seems to genuinely hope that people enjoy it. He's probably happy with the result. 

I get that, and your comments certainly were not out of line. They were actually much better than what we get from the meme culture surrounding Evangelion! 

As you mentioned, there's this persistent idea that Anno makes the characters in Evangelion in order to own the weeaboo nerds that could not accept his happy first ending to the series. And though that makes for fun jokes and memes, it also distorted his intentions to many and kinda assassinates his character. He seems like an anxiety-riddled sweetheart to me! 

And of course, the fandom is bizarre. It is both welcoming in the "shared trauma" kinda way but can be somewhat exclusionary over the silliest things. 

b3ab56275f848dc3c7c46a20bfb8414922b1d263r1-640-852v2_hq.jpg

Its-That-Simple.jpg

Television Shows: 

Brooklyn Nine-Nine's final season

Marvel's What If...?

Netflix's Lupin (when I'm in town to watch it with my parents because they love it and want to share it with me)

Movies I've seen within the past 2-3 weeks:

Kung-Fu Panda

Kung-Fu Panda 2

The Suicide Squad

Three Outlaw Samurai

Shang-Chi

Ichi (2008)

Amazon's Cinderella (2021)

Next Up:

The Life of Brian

Carmen (the opera, performed by Opera Australia)

In the Foreseeable Future:

Throne of Blood

Cinderella 1996 aka the one with Brandy (My mom and I were supposed to watch it today before I have to leave, but I needed a nap and she's delivering food to a friend.)

Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning (I've already watched it, but my dad likes the movies because they're good samurai flicks, so I'm going to rewatch it with him next time I'm in town.)