New WoB on Awakening

King's Twit

Hey, I wasn't really sure what to do with this, but I have a new WoB on Awakening and Nightblood. I figured this might be the best place for it.

Me: About Awakening, If Vasher and Shashara had done the exact same process they did to Awaken Nightblood, but on a weapon made of stone or obsidian, would the alternate Awakened weapon be functionally identical to Nightblood? Assume the weapon is the exact same shape as Nightblood.

I may be way off base, but I've had this budding theory that metal interacts with Investiture differently from other substances.

Brandon: Stone would have reacted differently indeed.

I figure that this has two possible implications. Either stone reacts differently to Investiture than metal by virtue of being a different material (as in this would be true for any two different materials), or metal actually does interact with Investiture, or at least with Breath, in a unique way because of the properties of metals.

Thoughts?
Edited by The King's Twit

Ooh.

My first thought is that stone is easier to Awaken, so you use less Breath to awaken it, so you don't get sentience but do get a disintegration enchantment.

May be also the opposite, that the Stone is harder to Awaken than the Metal. Or have we some clues about ?

Thanks for the new WoB! May I ask where you got it?

As for your interesting theory, I like it! But I'm biased. :D

It is from a Reddit PM.

And I don't think our theories are necessarily incompatible (especially since mine isn't really a theory yet). It could be that metal on Nalthis is attuned to specifically interact with Investiture in a certain way, like the allomantic metals on Scadrial, if I'm understanding you're theory correctly. 

Or Moogle is correct and it is just a matter of metal requiring a different number of breaths to awaken than stone, which causes different manifestations of power in the awakened weapons.

I'm sure there is some sanderword about investiture being attuned to crystal structure. Metal indeed has crystal properties different from other substances, because of electron delocalization.

Uhm. Makes me wonder how would investiture react with nanotubes or graphene...

This is a really long wait to Fourth Scadrial Era, isn't it?

Edited by Oversleep

It is from a Reddit PM.

And I don't think our theories are necessarily incompatible (especially since mine isn't really a theory yet). It could be that metal on Nalthis is attuned to specifically interact with Investiture in a certain way, like the allomantic metals on Scadrial, if I'm understanding you're theory correctly.

Or Moogle is correct and it is just a matter of metal requiring a different number of breaths to awaken than stone, which causes different manifestations of power in the awakened weapons.

Sorry, I must be using the phrase "I like it, but I'm biased" incorrectly. I wasn't saying our theories are incompatible. I was saying I'm biased in favor of metal being special, so my being drawn to your theory wasn't a result of critical thinking but rather a result of my bias.

It was a bit of (badly-executed) self-deprecating humor. :P

Oh, and thanks again for the WoB!

Edited by skaa

I'm sure there is some sanderword about investiture being attuned to crystal structure. Metal indeed has crystal properties different from other substances, because of electron delocalization.

Uhm. Makes me wonder how would investiture react with nanotubes or graphene...

I think you are talking about the crystal structure of metals in Scadrial working like the shape of Aons does on Sel.

• 2 weeks later...

Is a divine breath the equivalent to some number of mundane breaths? Or does it carry something more inside of it. Why would they gather the returned, would it not make sense to spread them to best ensure the breaths reach where they can help the most? Unless there is some unknown needs for a large concentration of divine breaths in one locations.

Is a divine breath the equivalent to some number of mundane breaths? Or does it carry something more inside of it. Why would they gather the returned, would it not make sense to spread them to best ensure the breaths reach where they can help the most? Unless there is some unknown needs for a large concentration of divine breaths in one locations.

the Divine Breath are different from "just" thousands of Breaths.

There is people who has the same number of Breaths of a Returned but as far as we know they have not any of the Returned specific powers (no shapeshifting and no Overpowered Healing).

In realmatic term, the Divine Breath is a Splinter of Endowment (like Spren/Seon/Skaze are Splinter of Honor&Cultivation/Devotion/Dominion) while a Breath isn't anything more than "bit of Investiture" (like the Mist or Stormlight).

Edited by Yata

• 5 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic