The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

I have some questions:
>We know that it is more complex to Awaken metal because it has never been alive. If one soulcast a piece of something organic (e.g. rope) into metal, would it be easier to Awaken?

>If a Feruchemist somehow worldhops to Nalthis, collects tons of breaths and learns to Awaken metal, would he be able to Awaken his metalminds and get some kind of effect from compouding, for example, awakening a teapot brassmind and commanding it to heat tea?

Edited by Link Start

>We know that it is more complex to Awaken metal because it has never been alive. If one soulcast a piece of something organic (e.g. rope) into metal, would it be easier to Awaken?

This has been answered!

Would an Awakener be able to awaken a corpse that was soulcast into stone more easily because it used to be living, thereby being able to create lifeless similar to Kalad’s Phantoms without having bones in the framework?

Yes. That would definitely work.

(source)

>If a Feruchemist somehow worldhops to Nalthis, collects tons of breaths and learns to Awaken metal, would he be able to Awaken his metalminds and get some kind of effect from compouding, for example, awakening a teapot brassmind and commanding it to heat tea?

Unknown. You can power the magic systems with any Investiture, so you might not even need Breath to do this, but what you're asking isn't using the metalmind to power it, it's tapping the metalmind to use its effect.

I'd expect the Breath would not tap the metalmind (Breaths aren't Feruchemists), and instead would burn your Breath when you place tea/water into it to power the heating effect and would use the charge in the metalmind as a generic power source.

Also, uhm, it might turn the water into super-hot steam and give you third degree burns. That's "heating tea", right?

Awakening metal makes it sentient, and I'm not entirely sure you'd want a sentient teapot. Or whether or it would disintegrate tea placed into it.

Edited by Moogle

Awakening metal makes it sentient, and I'm not entirely sure you'd want a sentient teapot. Or whether or it would disintegrate tea placed into it.

I do not believe that Awakening metal automatically makes it sentient. I'm sure it's been said that metal and stone were difficult but possible to Awaken before Shasharra came up with Nightblood. It was a distinct process that made a new type of BioChromatic entity, not a new ability to Awaken metal things. The Ars Arcanum at the end of Warbreaker certainly seems to suggest it. Susebron, for example, could easily Awaken a metal necklace at this point, it just wouldn't be sentient, it would be a simple Awakened Object.

Well, the teapot was just an exemple (a bad one, I believe, but the best I could come up with). Whether the teapot would be sentient or would disintegrate the tea was not the point. Could it use the power in the metalmind somehow, if the Feruchemist and the Awakener were the same person? Like, steel metalmind ropes moving faster than normal ropes would, or pewter ones having more strength than Awakened objects normally have?
Anyway, thank you for answering my first question, I upvoted you.

Do Inquisitors lose their color when they are killed via linchpin removal, a la shardsevered limbs?

Well, the teapot was just an exemple (a bad one, I believe, but the best I could come up with). Whether the teapot would be sentient or would disintegrate the tea was not the point. Could it use the power in the metalmind somehow, if the Feruchemist and the Awakener were the same person? Like, steel metalmind ropes moving faster than normal ropes would, or pewter ones having more strength than Awakened objects normally have?
Anyway, thank you for answering my first question, I upvoted you.

My personal belief, based on not very much, is that yes, they could. I think that your Breath, being a part of you, has tags for your Identity, which is why other people cannot take your Breath unless you give it away. I think this tag would allow the Breaths to access your metalminds.

I talked about this in another thread. Could a blind person Awaken an object to see? Could a Seeker awaken an object capable of sensing Bronzepulses? Are there Commands that allow you to take in the sensory information that your object gathered while Awakened?

This one is a wild stab in the dark: could a lifeless be controlled by emotional allomancy, the same way the Koloss can? If not, could they be affected at all?
And an important question, I couldn't find anyone asking it before: Are Atium and Lerasium investiture in solid form?

Edit: Given that Stormlight healing works based on one's perception of oneself, could a Surgebinder holding enough stormlight use that to change his appearance by changing how he perceives himself, like a Returned can?

Edited by Link Start

Are Atium and Lerasium investiture in solid form?

Yes. There's a WoB about that I believe. Let me go find it.

EDIT: Alright, I can't find the WoB, but I'm pretty sure they'rre solid Investiture. They are literally the Boies of Ruin and Preservation.

Edited by The Only Joe

What if any applications does the "meat and flesh" Soulcasting Essence have in healing? If I've got a gash on my arm, can I turn the air inside the gash into flesh? It presumably wouldn't be as seamless and perfect as Regrowth, but would it be better than waiting to heal on its own?

I don't know if any of these have been asked before, but I will ask them anyway.

1) could a device be built using both fabrial technology and hemalurgical technology?

2) if being synced to a heartbeat partially revives 'dead' shardblades, making them visible, how dose an unbonded shardblade remain in that same state?

3) what would it be like to either soulcast either in space, or on on a planet other than Roshar?

4) if you were to allomanticaly burn either awoken metal, or hemalurgicaly charged metal, would their be any additional effect? If so, what?

5) did Scadrial Have three shards?

6) can you soulcast the ocean?

Edited by Lifeless

My impression is that he removes the skin, because that's the easiest way to find the spikes, otherwise they'd be under all the flaps. Like the spikes change an Inquisitor's body, I suspect the mutation of a Koloss involves your own skin turning blue and growing huge and flappy and loose.

Remember, skin gets damaged a lot. They'd need fresh skins every generation, or they'd be full of the holes of every previous koloss who has died. Also, even in the little Koloss, you don't see human skin through the big open eye holes. You see raw muscle. Not like a human wearing a blue skin, but like someone whose own skin is simply too big.

But your point is valid; we don't actually know that this is how it works. When I first read the books, I believe I wondered the same as you if the spikes were used to pin the skin in place.