The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

• 2 weeks later...

I have some (more) questions:

Why does Marsh kill an Allomancer for the spike used on King Penrod? Can Ruin not speak to non-allomantically spiked people? Yet he still is able to speak (and control) the Kandra, who have normal, non-allomantic spikes.

Can a Drab return? And the inverse question of that is, Can an Awakener return? And then if an Awakener Returned, would he keep those extra breath that he won?

EDIT-

I don't want to make another post.

Is the smoke we see coming from people's eyes who have been stabbed by Shardblades Nightblood?

I think the reason for the first bit is that spikes that contain "human attributes" rather then actual allomatic and feruchemical powers tend to distort the recipient physically and mentally much more see the koloss. He didn't want to distort Penrod in a way that would be immediately obvious.

Yet he still is able to speak (and control) the Kandra, who have normal, non-allomantic spikes.

Are kandra Blessings normal spikes? They may not be allomantically-charged, but I got the impression that Blessings were true hemalurgic spikes. (Maybe just used on regular folk to steal regular intelligence/strength/endurance.)

• 4 weeks later...

@Green Hoodie Mistborn- Peter is most certainly correct. I have two questions that I would like you to ask if you can.

Is the smoke that we see when Shardblades cut a person Nightblood?

Do people on other planets have a Breath? Like people from Scadrial, and Roshar and such? Another way to ask it is if the only difference with the Breath in Nalthis is that the people can give their own Breath.

Here's an interesting new question about the ARS Arcanum. We now know that it was written by the same author (which we did have it confirmed it was a member of the 17th Shard or Hoid.) So then why is the voices/styles slightly different between the versions? My opinion though I would like to have it confirmed is that the first version was when the first world travelers start arriving at other worlds and didn't fully understand the implications of what they were learning and as they learned more they found a much larger cosmere relevant information that needed to be related. I see it much more like when you are writing a research paper of the same genre but different topics within it. The more you write the more fuller you understand the full implications. That's a personal theory but I think verification on if the reason it has changed is because the understanding of the writer has expanded due to his learning would be good information to have rather than just assuming it.

@Green Hoodie Mistborn- Peter is most certainly correct. I have two questions that I would like you to ask if you can.

Do people on other planets have a Breath? Like people from Scadrial, and Roshar and such? Another way to ask it is if the only difference with the Breath in Nalthis is that the people can give their own Breath.

I think I understand the 2nd question, but for your first question to clarify, do you mean "is the smoke that we see when shardblades cut a person related to or similar to the smoke that Nightblood leaks when he is drawn"?

I think I understand the 2nd question, but for your first question to clarify, do you mean "is the smoke that we see when shardblades cut a person related to or similar to the smoke that Nightblood leaks when he is drawn"?

Sure. The way I wrote the first question was because in one of the annotations, it says that Nightblood was named after the Corrupted Breaths that he creates when he Destroys Evil. But the second way is more clear.

And Chaos, I'll go ahead and edit the original post. With what I remember.

Can a Drab return? And the inverse question of that is, Can an Awakener return? And then if an Awakener Returned, would he keep those extra breath that he won?

A drab cannot return.

17thshard Seventeenth Shard

Drabs cannot Return. Theory confirmed. #alloyofline

8 Nov

Edited by Catalyst21

Ok... so the signing was great fun! It was my first time getting to meet Brandon and/or see him in person, he's as fun in person as all of his online communication suggests, and he read a selection from a little project called Legion that he wrote on the plane ride back from Paris as a pilot idea for a TV show and it was really fun! He also said that it would be put into ebook and print in the next year or so for everyone. Basically it's a crime/mystery type idea with a great Sanderson twist to it, if anyone has any other questions you can PM me and I'll tell you what I know, but I'm not sure how much we're supposed to talk about things like that in the public boards since they're not out yet...

Anyway, I was able to ask one question in the Q&A time and a couple more when he was signing my book... here are the responses to my questions:

1.Is the smoke that is released when a shardblade cuts someone related to the smoke that Nightblood releases when it is drawn? "Is there any relation between the smoke that someone emits and the smoke Nightblood emits" (Brandon's paraphrase)

- "Yes there is (a relation)"

2.Is there only one Shard on Silence Divine?

- "Yes"

3.Can people gain the magics of other worlds? I.e. could Galladon gain breaths on Nalthis?

- "I'll answer this specifically: Anyone can gain Breaths on Nalthis. Becoming an Allomancer is much harder

So that is a couple of questions off the list at least!

I tend to think that for the last question, he was implying that the ease of gaining each magic system depends on which realm it relates to: Physical,Spiritual, or Cognitive. I.e. breaths are easy to gain because they are tied to the spiritual realm, whereas Allomancy is hard to gain because it requires a certain physical DNA to access those powers, you have to have your DNA changed via Lerasium or be born with the right code... thoughts?

zas678 - Brandon thought the question about the smoke was a "really smart question" and he knew immediately I was from the 17thshard when I asked so kudos on the smart question :)

also - I realize that the 3rd question isn't exactly what you had wanted asked zas, but it was a spin on it, so while your question wasn't answered directly there, it was sort of answered!

I have audio of the Q&A that I'm going to transcribe, is there somewhere specific that I should post that or link to a Google Doc or something?

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn